• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jay Z's TIDAL hits 1 mil subscribers, celebrating w/ charity concert

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackattk

I registered for a free trial a year ago but didn't like the service so I just uninstalled it. Little did I know that once the free trial was finished, they automatically made me a premium subscriber without any notice. Today I randomly checked my transactions and to my surprise I see 20 dollar payments to Tidal. Seems I have been paying 20 dollars a month for over a year without realising it so I guess I'm also one of their subscribers... until 2 minutes ago.

I mean, yeah... most trials automatically go to paid after the trial ends.

linsivvi

We Fact-Checked All of Jay Z’s #TidalFacts

Tidal is doing just fine. We have over 770,000 subs. We have been in business less than one month. #TidalFacts
1:06 AM - 27 Apr 2015

Verdict: True(ish)

Tidal is older than Jay Z wants to admit. It launched back in October 2014 in the U.S. and the U.K., with its main pitch being high-fidelity music streams. After Jay Z bought parent company Aspiro for $56 million in January, the brand was relaunched in March with a new emphasis on compensating artists and providing exclusive content to fans.

Regarding subscribers, 770,000 is certainly a respectable figure in a world where every on-demand music subscription service not named Spotify is fighting for table scraps. However, the vast majority of those users were using Tidal before Jay Z showed up. Aspiro previously had another music streaming service called WiMP, which had 500,000 paying subscribers at the end of 2014. The WiMP and Tidal platforms were merged in March, just before Tidal’s relaunch. So it’s unclear how many new subscribers Tidal has picked up thanks to all its publicity in recent weeks.

A 500K increase is not bad but it's not really as successful as they claim to be

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
He's trying to get rid before Sony lose patience and pull the plug.

Will be a tough sale without the music rights to a huge chunk of what's on the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom