• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jazz-Hop & Instrumental Hip-Hop |OT| - R.I.P. Nujabes

Fjordson

Yeah, I just don't think you're losing much these days with a high quality digital version as opposed to a physical version. But oh well. Like I said, certainly his right to stick to physical.

Fjordson

Uh..lmao, is someone from Uyama's label reading this thread or something. I went to finish the rest of the Son of the Sun album on Rdio after I got home from work and suddenly it's not available for streaming. Smh.

IrishNinja

It actually doesn't xD. I mistook the single that was released on vinyl for the album when I checked their bandcamp store last night. Either way, would still be hard to get.

it would no doubt, but i'd pay a high amount for it - it's on a short list of stuff like modal/metaphorical music, soul below etc that i'd save up for just to have, easily

Village

Hello, I lurk this thread from time to time and have come to ask a favor. Would all know of anythingTokimonsta - Fool that sounds like this song. A lot of Tokimonsta's other stuff is flying lotus-ey and I want to find similar stuff to this

Jaroof

Hello, I lurk this thread from time to time and have come to ask a favor. Would all know of anythingTokimonsta - Fool that sounds like this song. A lot of Tokimonsta's other stuff is flying lotus-ey and I want to find similar stuff to this

That's a pretty damn good song. I like it!
As for songs that sound like that.. Hmm..
Kinda reminds me of Boogie Belgique. Try this.

Love that album.

soultron

Banned
It's all good until you:

A. Can't order it
B. Have to pay exorbitant shipping costs if you COULD order it
C. Have no physical media player on your PCs
D. Would have to rip the disc anyway in order to listen to it with your phone, etc...

While I agree that it's his choice to do it, I agree with the above. So many times I've found Japanese artists who only released an album or two, and I was late to discover them. Go online, find only one Amazon seller, they're in JP and not only are the shipping costs HUGE but the base price of the disc is crazy too. :(

I do like owning physical copies, but I usually end up transferring it to my phone anyway so that I can listen to it on the go.

Village

That's a pretty damn good song. I like it!
As for songs that sound like that.. Hmm..
Kinda reminds me of Boogie Belgique. Try this.

Love that album.

While this isn't exactly what I'm looking for , thanks its nice swing kind of thing. The vibe I'm getting from the song is this kind of mystic type thing, I know the song I linked starts off with a older sample. It quickly gets into this type of thing that I can only describe is ancient stuff in the mist.

IrishNinja

Uyama Hiroto - 81 autumn

XWQxhzz.gif

While I agree that it's his choice to do it, I agree with the above. So many times I've found Japanese artists who only released an album or two, and I was late to discover them. Go online, find only one Amazon seller, they're in JP and not only are the shipping costs HUGE but the base price of the disc is crazy too. :(

I do like owning physical copies, but I usually end up transferring it to my phone anyway so that I can listen to it on the go.

The CD's are still expensive in Japan since the music is actually kind of rare. My friend went there and is there for school. He showed me this music stand with a bunch of Hidetake Takayama and some Goon Trax stuff and it was pretty steep.

You know what? I need a copy of this on my phone

http://youtu.be/FvcyZOVCORM

That one is my go to song for the fall/winter. So soothing. Ugh, seeing the scenery in the back ground makes me want to visit Japan.

Two more Uyama tracks:
Spektrum feat. Fat Jon
Relax Your Mind

And, for quick reference, here are the rest of the tracks that have been leaked so far.
Soul of Freedom feat. Cise Starr
81autumn
Path of Wind
Compass

Edit:
New Dirty Art Club coming early 2015!
Here's the first track.

Thanks. My friend is in Japan at the moment and he just came across the album. I would ask him to pick me one up, but it's $23... CD's in the states are usually $9.99...

-----

Anywhoo, here is someone who has some Jazz Hop influence in their songs.

Awon & Phoniks

The rap is heavier, but it's still good. I wish people knew of Awon, he was the rapper in this song, which was a big hit.

gillty

Banned

The CD's are still expensive in Japan since the music is actually kind of rare. My friend went there and is there for school. He showed me this music stand with a bunch of Hidetake Takayama and some Goon Trax stuff and it was pretty steep.

Thanks. My friend is in Japan at the moment and he just came across the album. I would ask him to pick me one up, but it's $23... CD's in the states are usually $9.99...
Thing is Goontrax releases and the like are not rare, you can find them pretty much everywhere at the major media shops in Japan.

Even digital stuff remains expensive if your only source is Japanese retailers. The typical single track on iTunes Japan ranges from 150 to 250 ¥.

The reason why CD's and media in general in Japan is expensive is because digital never took really took off in any massive pervasive way. CD, DVD, Book sales are great in Japan, therefore even digitally it remains expensive.

These days most of my taste is in Japanese artists, therefore I go through a lot of cash buying things off iTunes Japan at often double the price you would find for a western artist. Its unfortunate, but if you're a fan you gotta do what you gotta do.

iTunes Japan said:

Jaroof

Thing is Goontrax releases and the like are not rare, you can find them pretty much everywhere at the major media shops in Japan.

Even digital stuff remains expensive if your only source is Japanese retailers. The typical single track on iTunes Japan ranges from 150 to 250 ¥.

The reason why CD's and media in general in Japan is expensive is because digital never took really took off in any massive pervasive way. CD, DVD, Book sales are great in Japan, therefore even digitally it remains expensive.

These days most of my taste is in Japanese artists, therefore I go through a lot of cash buying things off iTunes Japan at often double the price you would find for a western artist. Its unfortunate, but if you're a fan you gotta do what you gotta do.

You have all of the Melancholic Jazz albums??
Maaan.. I've been wanting those.
Also, more Kenichiro Nishihara I haven't heard? Yeees.

Thanks for the explanation. I think that rare was a bad word to use for explaining the whole thing. After reading what you posted, I wonder what he meant by saying that. It's interesting how some cultures differ in terms of media consumption.

gillty

Banned
You have all of the Melancholic Jazz albums??
Maaan.. I've been wanting those.
Also, more Kenichiro Nishihara I haven't heard? Yeees.
Theres a few more albums than that, sometimes his stuff makes it to digital, sometimes it doesn't. Check out unprivate.jp.

He also mentioned on twitter recently that he's got a a tonne of ESNO stuff ready to go for next year.

Cerity

re:prices, I honestly don't mind it, especially for music that has shaped my outlook on life as much as jazzhop has. I usually get my cd's from cdjapan, they often run promo's that can cover your shipping.

gillty

Banned
re:prices, I honestly don't mind it, especially for music that has shaped my outlook on life as much as jazzhop has. I usually get my cd's from cdjapan, they often run promo's that can cover your shipping.
I think the prices allow alot of the artist's to continue so I'm perfectly okay with it myself.

More importantly it's time for them to adopt digital in a better manner, even iTunes Japan only sees about 90% of releases, and with the example of Kenichiro Nishihara its so inconsistent. Once they get that nailed down, they can hopefully address digital releases in the West.

that collection... uguuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Can I order off of Japanese iTunes?

gillty

Banned
that collection... uguuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Can I order off of Japanese iTunes?
Its limited to Japanese CC or Japanese iTunes credits, but yes.

The thing with Japanese iTunes credits is they are often sold at quite a heavy margin online, adding to the already massive price difference. I am fortunate to have many personal contacts in Japan so I can thankfully avoid it.

One odd thing is the metadata for music is often different on the Japanese store depending on the language setting of iTunes between Japanese and English. So I often have to switch to Japanese and then download before returning to my native English in iTunes.

New Mr. Moods - Lou Mistrau - Erik Jackson!
As usual the Erik Jackson / Mr. Moods releases are excellent.

Its limited to Japanese CC or Japanese iTunes credits, but yes.

The thing with Japanese iTunes credits is they are often sold at quite a heavy margin online, adding to the already massive price difference. I am fortunate to have many personal contacts in Japan so I can thankfully avoid it.

One odd thing is the metadata for music is often different on the Japanese store depending on the language setting of iTunes between Japanese and English. So I often have to switch to Japanese and then download before returning to my native English in iTunes.

As usual the Erik Jackson / Mr. Moods releases are excellent.

I know a couple of people that might help.

I put in an order on the roph website through email, and I got a package from japan today. I was like oh shit, it's gonna be the record with one day delivery. Sadly it was a pencil I ordered a while back haha

Top Bottom