• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Joe Paterno’s son is now a member of Penn State’s Board of Trustees

Sanjuro

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...tes-board-of-trustees/?utm_term=.743768d08065

HjBSRFn.jpg

Five years after losing his job as assistant coach on the Nittany Lions football team, Jay Paterno will return to Penn State as one of three new members of the university’s Board of Trustees.

Paterno, the son of disgraced former Nittany Lions Coach Joe Paterno, called his victory Friday “a statement of your love for this University” and promised “to represent first and foremost the interests of Penn State and its diverse coalition of constituents,” including students, alumni, faculty staff and others.

“While some have tried to affix other motives to this candidacy, be assured I will join this Board in July with an extended hand,” he said. “Together we can build on the enduring pride and values that have never wavered and have always been the foundations of our Alma Mater.”

Their reasoning stems from Paterno’s father, whom is alleged to have known more than he let on about his staffer Jerry Sandusky’s nefarious activities. In 2012, less than a year after Joe Paterno died of lung cancer, Sandusky was convicted of 45 counts of sexual abuse. Sandusky was employed as an assistant coach for Paterno from 1969 to 1999.

The Paterno family has staunchly defended its former patriarch, disputing the conclusions of a report sanctioned by the university that concluded Joe Paterno knew of and helped conceal some of Sandusky’s crimes.

On Friday, Jay Paterno did not appear to want to embark on his new position as trustee with a clean slate, however. In a statement to ESPN, he specifically brought up his family’s deep connection to the university, including his father’s.

“When you look at it, between my mom and dad and my family, we’ve been connected with Penn State for more than a century, when you add up all the years we’ve given there,” Paterno told the network. “We feel very strongly about the university and what it can be. There are some challenges at Penn State and in higher education around the country, and I thought it was time for me to get involved.”

Paterno, who received the largest number of votes in the election, racking up 16,322 votes out of a total of 21,233 ballots, PennLive.com reports, will take up his seat in July. He will be joined by two others who also won seats on Friday, including St. John’s University associate professor Alice Pope and former Pennsylvania State Majority Leader Robert Jubelirer. They received 14,744 votes and 13,173 votes, respectively.

Mechazawa

Because the same sort of values that lead to a man putting college football over kids getting molested surely weren't instilled into the type of person that actively wants to be involved with Penn State and still has reverence for his dad.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm not surprised if it was an open election. Some people are still crazy for the family up there.

He's also the most visible person on the ballot.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Sins of the father apparently a real thing on GAF.

That or Jay knew about Sandusky and I just missed that part.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, he's only written a book (among other things) to try and argue that his father did nothing wrong.
A guy defending his father's legacy doesn't make him complicit in Sandusky's conduct.

FyreWulff

the football program needed the death penalty and the program needed to be wire-brushed of anyone and everyone that was involved with it.

they didn't lose a goddamn thing over it

ElRenoRaven

And what a legacy to defend

What? His father was a great champion of Child abusing rapists. I mean child abusing pieces of shit could not have had a better defender. That's a legacy worth defending damn it? /sarcasm

Just shows you that school should have been destroyed. Their programs should have been shut down.

The program should have got the death penalty. Fuck Penn State. The definition of idol worship gone way too far, and never getting smacked down for it. Only a matter of time before they really get drunk on their sense of invincibility from all this and the same thing happens again.

Volimar

Generally I'm not one to judge someone for the actions of a family member, but he still supported his father amidst a mountain of evidence of his shittery so...fuck you Jay.

Penn State is a shit hole of entitlement and ignorance.

Everyone associated with that school is in complete denial and parents who keep paying to send their kids there are shameful.

That tuition is being used to fund a corrupt society of ignorance.

"Together we can build on the enduring pride and values that have never wavered and have always been the foundations of our Alma Mater."

Their reasoning stems from Paterno's father, whom is alleged to have known more than he let on about his staffer Jerry Sandusky's nefarious activities. In 2012, less than a year after Joe Paterno died of lung cancer, Sandusky was convicted of 45 counts of sexual abuse. Sandusky was employed as an assistant coach for Paterno from 1969 to 1999.

"enduring pride and values that have never wavered and have always been the foundation"?
Their "pride and values" are disgusting, then.

Absolutely disgusting!

It's a shame the NCAA had no balls and didn't want "innocent" people in Happy Valley to go bankrupt by giving PSU the death penalty.

Absolutely disgusting!

It's a shame the NCAA had no balls and didn't want "innocent" people in Happy Valley to go bankrupt by giving PSU the death penalty.

In this one instance the NCAa isn't the bad guy. They literally didn't have the authority to do it and a court overruled even the light punishment they got

In this one instance the NCAa isn't the bad guy. They literally didn't have the authority to do it and a court overruled even the light punishment they got

If they don't have power over the national colleges in their athletic association, what's even the point of them existing?

I'm sorry, but the whole Paterno/Sandusky thing is text lack of institutional control.

Well, if the NCAA doesn't give UNC the death penalty for their sham of classes for athletes, making up classes, and printing fake degrees. I'm convinced everyone should just do what they want with no worries.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
"enduring pride and values that have never wavered and have always been the foundation"?
Their "pride and values" are disgusting, then.
I made a comment about this on Twitter, and people popped out of the woodwork saying it was me with a problem. Like sorry, but even if you can somehow perform the mental gymnastics to absolve Paterno and the whole school in all the sexual abuse, it's still abundantly clear a large portion of the university sacrificed its values in its reactions to the revelations.

Top Bottom