• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

John Daly's Pro Stroke Golf |OT| MOVE EDITION

4i0h3p.png

John Daly's ProStroke Golf is an interactive game with a number of fully licensed courses and five different play modes. Put the ball in play with the revolutionary design and realistic physics of ProStroke View and Prostroke Swing! John Daly's ProStroke Golf also includes many different game modes, realistic golf physics and commentary by the famous voices of golf delivering the complete golfing experience for golf fans, sports fans and gamers

GAME MODES

Quick Game

Practice, play on your own, or play with up to three other players (human and/or computer) on a single console. Choose from a number of preset players to play as or compete against. How you fair in this mode does not count towards your Career profile statistics.
Or you can play single player, match play (two or four player) and foursome play, to hone your skills!

Career Mode

Career mode is the crux of the game and can be broken down into two main game modes - Challenge & Tournament.

- Challenge Mode

Take on John Daly in a series of challenges to unlock the tournament on that particular course. At the start of the game only Mystic Rock is available to play in Challenge Mode. Beating John on each course also unlocks it in Quick Game and Practice. You will challenge him in driving, putting,&nbspand approach play, pulling it all together for a great round of golf!

- Tournament

Each of the twelve courses has a tournament associated with it. The tournaments are unlocked once you have beaten John during the Challenge on that particular course. All tournaments use the Strokeplay scoring system and each one has an objective for you to triumph. Tournaments can last from single days to four day tournaments!

12 COURSES

165(1).jpg

191(2).jpg

93.jpg

We have secured both interesting and challenging courses, designed by some of the greatest names in world golf.

Ballesteros, Faldo and Woosnam were three of the "Big Five" generation of European golfers, all born within 12 months of one another, all of whom have won majors, and made Europe competitive in the Ryder Cup.

The Shire London (only course in England designed by Ballesteros) is laid out like few other golf courses in the world. There are six par 5s, six par 4s and six par 3s, and on both the front nine and the back nine, no two consecutive holes are the same par, with equal numbers of par 3s, 4s and 5s. This gives maximum variety, and maximum enjoyment - a core philosophy of Seve's designs.

Hailed as one of the finest recently-built golf courses in England, Chart Hills is the British architectural debut of six times Major winner, Nick Faldo. There are 18 very distinctive holes at Chart Hills which, collectively, demand a great variety of shot-making skills, making this a very strategic test and a real thinking mans golf course. More than anything, Faldo wanted to design a course that would offer different challenges to different players.

We also have The Brabazon (at Belfry) which doesn't really need introducing. After all, it's unique. This course has played host to more Ryder Cups than any other course on the planet - four in total. The excitement comes from playing memorable and familiar holes- there is more water on the Brabazon than just about any other inland course in the British Isles- the course has two outstanding holes, which have been popularised - the 10th and 18th.

There's a strong connection with our title to the Ryder Cup and this is something we have planned with our release date in mind.

We are also pleased to announce that Mystic Rock, designed by the legendary Pete Dyer is also featured in the game.

15wjb87.png

Publisher: O-Games
Developer: Gusto Games
Release Date: October 5, 2010
MSRP: $49.99
on: PC, X360, PS3

pro_storke_golfps3esrbboxart_160w.jpg

Great itunes developer interview courtesy of "Riding the Pines" select the 10/1/10 podcast.

http://itunes.apple.com/podcast/riding-the-pines/id270122316

Physics based, built from the ground up with move in mind, John Daly was influential in the design, once he started playing with the move to give it a more real world feel.

Tutorial

"The Long Game"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuOWaM2gLec

"The Short Game"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfbiz1gjDN4&feature=related

GiantBomb Quick Look

http://www.giantbomb.com/quick-look-ex-john-dalys-prostroke-golf/17-3122/

The ProStroke View gives you the perfect, first person view for you to shape your shot. In this view you can craft your shot, from the position of your feet, opening and closing the clubface and your swing

PROSTROKE VIEW
113(1).jpg

If any of you guys or girls that are interested in this game please chime in and or assist in the building of this thread. Just remember I don't know what the hell I'm doing as far as posting pics, gifs, and videos.

Not the greatest looking game and the clothing is a little on the "LOUD" side, but the golf is what intriguing, its just looks like golf and far superior to what's on the market right now as far as "motion controls" go.

REVIEWS:

NowGamer:

http://ps3.nowgamer.com/reviews/ps3/9401/john-dalys-prostroke-golf-move

Cons:

the faults with the game become more apparent – poor quality graphics, commentary that doesn’t match up to the action, the chore of having to face off against Daly to unlock single-player tournaments, Daly’s voiceover work being subpar (that’s being kind) and the general feeling of inaccuracy with the pad controls, thanks to a lack of real feedback on your shots.

Pros:

You should play John Daly’s ProStroke Golf with Playstation Move – it’s been built from the ground up with the motion controller in mind and it shows. This plays one of the closest approximations to golf we’ve yet seen in a game, with intuitive, natural use of Move and… well, you have to put effort in to hit the ball hard. Which is fun.

Move is integrated well, so a few plus points for that. But without the impressive controls we’re left with a rather empty experience. It lacks the personality we would’ve hoped for from a game based on Daly and generally plays a very standard – if not more in-depth than what we’re used to – game of golf.

Final Verdict
Not a great opening salvo from Tiger’s new challenger, but impressive Move implementation means it’s one to watch in future. Eve 7.0/10

Shurs

I'm supposed to get a review copy of this game. If/when I do, I'll pop in and give some impressions.

Ristlager

Was waiting for this OT, nice going :)

But why hasn't gjere been any reviews yet? And how are your real life golf skills? I am slowly working my self to single digits, 10,7 now. Severly dissapointed with tiger woods Move integration, so hoping the reviews are good to this game :)

Really curious about this game. My friends were asking me about this game and the only coverage I saw was the GiantBomb's Quick Look EX.

Corto

I'm really curious for your opinions on this game Shurs and Kassatsu. I'll decide from those if I get this or Tiger... :D Thanks in advance!

Shurs, could you tell me for what outlet do you work? I value your opinion here and wanted to follow your more formal work.

I will be giving this a go, been looking for a great golf game for a while. Tiger Woods hasn't really scratched that itch in a while =/

I also read this is the premiere golf game for Move controls as this was "build" with Move, whereas Tiger Woods was just a launch add-on.

Shurs

Corto said:
Shurs, could you tell me for what outlet do you work? I value your opinion here and wanted to follow your more formal work.

I'd actually prefer to keep my work as a critic separate from GAF, if possible. It's not that I'm being disingenuous on my website or here, it's just that, on GAF, I can use a more informal style, and I'd hate for someone to hold an Off-the-Cuff comment I make on GAF against me, after I've spent the last 8 months establishing relationships with PR people, publishers and developers.

I hope that makes sense.

Corto

Shurs said:
I'd actually prefer to keep my work as a critic separate from GAF, if possible. It's not that I'm being disingenuous on my website or here, it's just that, on GAF, I can use a more informal style, and I'd hate for someone to hold an Off-the-Cuff comment I make on GAF against me, after I've spent the last 8 months establishing relationships with PR people, publishers and developers.

I hope that makes sense.

Yes. It makes all the sense. Thanks anyway.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
please let us know how the traditional controls(gamepad/mouse) if possible as well as its motion controls work out.

I for one have been dying for a good golf alternative to Tiger..which has just gotten so predictable in its incremental changes.

And seriously I'm sick of Ea sports not being able figure out how to render more then a hole at a time.. I mean seriously..

Fixed1979

Do we have a list of courses or players yet?

Edit: Sounds like 12 fairly unknown courses at launch with DLC to follow...

Roto13

Is this game coming out already? I tried it at E3 and it felt more like a proof of concept than anything.

Roto13 said:
Is this game coming out already? I tried it at E3 and it felt more like a proof of concept than anything.

Yes it should be coming out this week. This is actually the 2nd game in the series. The 1st one came out in 2007, so they have a history in making simulation golf games.

gcubed

graphics don't look anything special, but if the move controls are as good as they sound in the previews i want it for a golf sim and can care less about the graphics... and it lets you just hit the ball instead of holding 400 buttons to change things

Fixed1979

Hopefully we can get some reviews in tomorrow. I'd love to grab this on the way home from work. The golf course closes this weekend and having a good sim would certainly help dull the pain.

NowGamer with the first review on deck, I'm extremely happy about the MOVE implementation

Final Verdict
Not a great opening salvo from Tiger’s new challenger, but impressive Move implementation means it’s one to watch in future. Eve 7.0/10

cameltoe

Tried to pick this up at lunch....stopped at 2 best buys, they didnt have them in yet...was told maybe in the next few days.

thcsquad

From that review, it sounds like that they spent more time working on the Move implementation than most of the rest of the game. Which to me is a good thing if the franchise continues. They have their controls pretty much down and can just work on improving the game itself in future years.

So far so good.

Swing Skill Level is very good,

Amateur(Green) You only have to think about the back swing.

Pro(Yellow) Adds forward swing as part of what the player must consider in his/her swing and yes it is more difficult

Tour Pro(Red) it's totally you

I tested these and it is truly translated and it feels great 1:1 with no discernable lag. Mind you I'm just in the tutorial. shifting your feet, and weight transfer is all their. So far in tutorial mode it is a simulator

The pointer sensitivity is frustrating it measure your every tremble making you miss your intended menu selection, they need to fix the pointer you can easily loose it.

Graphics PS2.5

Fixed1979

gluv65 said:
So far so good.

Swing Skill Level is very good,

Amateur(Green) You only have to think about the back swing.

Pro(Yellow) Adds forward swing as part of what the player must consider in his/her swing and yes it is more difficult

Tour Pro(Red) it's totally you

I tested these and it is truly translated and it feels great 1:1 with no discernable lag. Mind you I'm just in the tutorial. shifting your feet, and weight transfer is all their. So far in tutorial mode it is a simulator

I'm curious as to how badly you can fuck up a shot. Can you miss the ball or hit it so terribly that it goes like 30 yard in front of you or are you guaranteed to hit it 250+ yards all the time (either way left or way right).

Early in my playing the game and I can safely say, as far as MOVE implementation this is really a good golf simulator.

It will get knocked for lack of presentation and it should. Playing it with the move is pure boring golfing bliss.

John's tutorials are great and teaches you how to make shots in any given situation, this is done by video tutorial and you are immediately placed into those type of situations. Shifting your weight, opening and closing the club head, back spin ect....

Tour Pro is tough and YES you will mess up your shots. Yes you can drive the ball 250+ and be off course hell you can even land on another green that you weren't even targeting. Setting up your shot in pro stroke view minimizes a lot of mistakes you could make. club path and ball path helps this a lot. I wish they would take those away on The tour pro skill set.

If you can bare the silence that is golf, and not caught up in the presentation and love the mechanics of the game, you will enjoy this. I just wish they would have supported XMB music.

O Games if you're reading this, shame on you and your totally fucked up way on how to navigate with the MOVE controller. Its as if you put no filters in, left that shit as raw as Dr. marks programmed it in. Messing with the pointer is so frustrating it makes you want to slap whoever thought it was a good idea.

I'll keep updating, life is calling and plus I have to get back to NBA 2K11.

Thanks for the quick impressions Gluv65. How's the putting? Does it require as much intuition as full shots? Also, have you tried the online multiplayer yet? I'd like to hear your thoughts on how Gusto Games handles multiplayer with their virtual instant replay (like Tiger Woods Simultaneous Play, only you see an instant replay of the shot your opponent hit while you were hitting yours, and vice-versa for him).

Ristlager

Very good impresions Gluv65. Is there anything to unlock in this game that enhances the player, ie better equipment/clothes/balls (which makes a different in real life)?
How big is the difference between this game and Tiger Woods? Thougt Woods game was ok in the long game, but very poor in the short game? Looking at the videos, chipping and pitching seems much better.

And do write more impressions as you get to know the game better.

Edit: Is there a reason VGP.Ca has a shipping dato of oct. 15? sold out, or isn't the game released in Canada yet?

Gluv, how big of an impact is the fact that the entire course is loaded into memory (as opposed to Tiger Woods 20XX's one hole at a time) on the gameplay? I'm thinking it would not only improve the pace of the game, it should also bring more realistic shotmaking into the picture. I'm sure that in JDPG's Tour Pro mode, there will be times when one will spray a shot into an adjacent fairway and be forced to play a recovery shot. In the same scenario in Tiger Woods, you'd be declared "O.B.".

OTOH, the fact that the game does load the entire course into memory at the start probably accounts for the lackluster graphics. I can stomach the PS2 1/2 graphics as long as the gameplay and interface make up for it.

I have found that the sphere is just like the club head, you must truly swing it like a golf club or position the golf club in a way similar to a golf club. For a while I was wondering why I couldn't get full power watching the meter only go up to about 75% and as a test run I put a real golf club in my hand and monitored my swing and I noticed withe move, I was just having the sphere go up on my back swing sphere was facing 12 O'clock next to my head. I then replicated the way the actual club(using the sphere as a club head) high up in the back swing with the sphere facing the eye like 3 o'clock and boom my back swing went up to the 100 percentile.

Here's a video of Tigers Swing now imagine the position the MOVE sphere has to be in order to get good power on your swing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nESDTgMck0U#t=0m27s

Top Bottom