• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure |OT PART 2| How many threads have you opened in your life?

cntr

Banned
I have no idea how someone could make a Phantom Blood movie and decide "let's cut out Speedwagon"

Of all the characters in Part 1 to cut out of the story, it had to be the guy whose name is relevant all the way to Part 6.

And it doesn't even fit in with the SDC OVAs, since they had the Speedwagon Foundation.

caliph95

Or the reason that speedwagon foundation even bends to their whim is because speedwagon is a family friend

Who else did they remove

Because besides some foes I would remove most of the hamon crew if I need to and you could find a way around Chinese guy

cntr

Banned
I think they also removed Tonpetty, Dire, and Straizo? They did keep Tarkus and Bruford in, though we only have a few screenshots of them.

cntr

Banned
Also, since they cut out Straizo, I guess they were also planning to cut down the beginning of Battle Tendency.

...and Lisa Lisa's backstory...

caliph95

I think they also removed Tonpetty, Dire, and Straizo? They did keep Tarkus and Bruford in, though we only have a few screenshots of them.
I get removing the crew though I would keep one of them to teach jojo new skills but that makes sense, only problem is Lisa Lisa but it's not absolutely necessary

cntr

Banned
That means you lose Joseph's entire introduction, though. Battle Tendency wouldn't be Battle Tendency if Joseph didn't light Straizo up!

caliph95

That means you lose Joseph's entire introduction, though. Battle Tendency wouldn't be Battle Tendency if Joseph didn't light Straizo up!
Not ideal and bad thing to miss but I'm saying if you had to cut stuff for pacing and brevity the hamon crew makes somewhat sense at least compared to speedwagon

Man I can't tell you how many people I sold on JoJo by showing them the scene where Joseph pulls out a tommy gun and fills Straizo with lead

Isn't his name Straits, I blame the dub

Battle Tendency would just be the Pillar Men in New York and a very confused Joseph climbing a tower made by the Pillar Men (Because *pillars* guys!) and having no idea who, what, or why he's fighting, if you cut out Speedwagon and Straits.

caliph95

Battle Tendency would just be the Pillar Men in New York and a very confused Joseph climbing a tower made by the Pillar Men (Because *pillars* guys!) and having no idea who, what, or why he's fighting, if you cut out Speedwagon and Straits.
I mean you can get around straights if you still have Speedwagon by just going to rescue him and Lisa Lisa can still appear just with a weaker backstory but without both of them how would Joseph be able to do anything and have reason to do anything

cntr

Banned
Araki kind of tried to hide his references in Part 1 and 2. So it's Straizo even in Japan, not Straits, just like how it's Zeppeli instead of Zeppelin.

Kars, Wamuu, and Esidisi are also the official spellings, while we're at it.

I mean you can get around straights if you still have Speedwagon by just going to rescue him and Lisa Lisa can still appear just with a weaker backstory but without both of them how would Joseph be able to do anything and have reason to do anything

Because pillars!

Tizoc

Araki kind of tried to hide his references in Part 1 and 2. So it's Straizo even in Japan, not Straits, just like how it's Zeppeli instead of Zeppelin.

Kars, Wamuu, and Esidisi are also the official spellings, while we're at it.

Whatever man, they're the Great Ancient Aztec Vampire Sex Gods that gave us those brilliant bands.

Just make it something like "Joseph felt an unusually powerful urge to fight Nazis so he goes to Mexico where all the Nazis are" and bam Santana fight followed by Stroheim pointing him to a potential ally in Italy which just so happened to be allied with Germany

They should be paying me to write these movie adaptations

Just make it so that Joseph has to fight these buff dudes that are trying to keep him from peeping at his mom.

cntr

Banned
Just make it something like "Joseph felt an unusually powerful urge to fight Nazis so he goes to Mexico where all the Nazis are" and bam Santana fight followed by Stroheim pointing him to a potential ally in Italy which just so happened to be allied with Germany

They should be paying me to write these movie adaptations
you're joking but the SDC OVA had shit like "hello je am polnareff and i just happen to be on this cruise ship, hon hon"

caliph95

Just make it so that Joseph has to fight these buff dudes that are trying to keep him from peeping at his mom.
I mean that wouldn't even be inaccurate considering acdc

you're joking but the SDC OVA had shit like "hello je am polnareff and i just happen to be on this cruise ship, hon hon"
And had the time to set up a huge dinner table and a feast and just hoping they come downstairs before the food got cold

cntr

Banned
someday they'll find a full copy on a VHS somewhere, right next to an archive of all the lost doctor who episodes

How exactly did Stone Ocean happen? An American female protagonist, with a primarily female cast set entirely in Florida as the setting for a shounen comic seems unbelievable.

cntr

Banned
Araki going full seinen before he got the chance to switch magazines, heh. I think he said that he felt embarrassed about how he wrote female characters? So he made Jolyne to get it right.

...man, it's so weird seeing the beginning of Stardust Crusaders and how badly Holly gets treated when you've read Stone Ocean. Jotaro even ends up getting put in Holly's place.

Araki going full seinen before he got the chance to switch magazines, heh. I think he said that he felt embarrassed about how he wrote female characters? So he made Jolyne to get it right.

...man, it's so weird seeing the beginning of Stardust Crusaders and how badly Holly gets treated when you've read Stone Ocean. Jotaro even ends up getting put in Holly's place.
Not just Holly, but the dumb trope of yelling at women, and them swooning right after. Thankfully, that's pretty much gone after the beginning of DiU.

I'm glad Araki did Stone Ocean, but I'm just amazed that Jump let him do all that, regardless if they were the ones whom made him change Annasui.

cntr

Banned
You can get away with anything once you're big enough, tbh, for better or worse. I know Togashi wanted to change up Yu Yu Hakusho to be more like what ended up becoming Hunter x Hunter, and his editors said no -- so he just ended the series in retaliation. (And eventually published Level E and Hunter x Hunter.)

And generally, Jump lets a lot more weird shit be published than you'd think. (...and Stone Ocean bombed when it came out.)

I'm pretty sure Annasui's genderswap being an editor thing is just speculation, though. Probably not true.

cntr

Banned
Stone Ocean'll probably be pretty popular among English speakers, when the anime comes out.

jolyne's still my favorite jojo

The fact that part 6 and 7 apparently bombed in Japan is absolutely astounding to me; they are my favorite parts (haven't read part 8 and won't until it's at least close to finished).

It's just some of the most JoJo ass Jojo there is.

The fact that part 6 and 7 apparently bombed in Japan is absolutely astounding to me; they are my favorite parts (haven't read part 8 and won't until it's at least close to finished).

It's just some of the most JoJo ass Jojo there is.
So far the ends of Part 5 and 6 are some Jojo ass Jojo shit for me. I haven't even finished the first chapter or SBR due to being busy and probably needing a bit of a break after MADE IN HEAVEN.

cntr

Banned
Stone Ocean was unlucky enough to be a seinen series coming out right when One Piece and Naruto were hitting the shelves...and Japan has terrible taste.

Mind, though, "bombed" is a relative thing here. Stone Ocean is still Jojo, a series big enough to get month-long anniversary festival, and Steel Ball Run and Jojolion do pretty well among the seinen crowd.

cntr

Banned
But Stone Ocean is better than the Misadventures of Nardo and The Sauce.
Specifically, a guy I know from Japan said that most kids back then thought of Jojo as "that series their older siblings read", and the masturbation joke really put them off. Araki also had a hiatus between Part 5 and 6, which probably didn't help.

Specifically, a guy I know from Japan said that most kids back then thought of Jojo as "that series their older siblings read", and the masturbation joke really put them off. Araki also had a hiatus between Part 5 and 6, which probably didn't help.
Clearly their older siblings had better taste.

god bless the anime for making it infinitely easier for youngin's with shit taste to get into JoJo

I could only get my little bro into it because he walked in on me watching D'arby freak out over Jotaro's bluffing skills.

god bless the anime for making it infinitely easier for youngin's with shit taste to get into JoJo

I could only get my little bro into it because he walked in on me watching D'arby freak out over Jotaro's bluffing skills.
That shit was god tier, especially in the anime.

I love Jojo's structure, but ending stories and switching protags tends to bleed readers.

Yeah, it's unfortunate because JoJo's style is the only reason I'd ever stick with a series as long as this.

cntr

Banned
You do get a broader audience compared to most series, though, which is nice. Don't like Part 3? Well, stick around for Part 4! Can't get that with a normal series.

Yeah, but readers at the time didn't know that. They didn't have anime that runs for about 8 months. If you didn't like the current part, then you're out for at least 3-5 years between parts.

I love Jojo's structure, but ending stories and switching protags tends to bleed readers.
People probably just pissed off that they shelved Joseph. Barring Jotaro I'd rank the rest of the jojo's as either better or more interesting. Young Joseph is fun and I do like him but his stans piss me off.

I think another thing to bear in mind is that Parts 6 and 7 both came out after year long breaks, and 7 wasn't even advertised as Jojo even when it was clearly Jojo.

Part 8 does well since everyone knows it's a Jojo part + the series has had a massive push since the 25th anniversary.

Top Bottom