• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

July Wrasslin’ |OT-15| Hybrids are Best for Business

Aiii

So not worth it
MLB Media shouldn't have WWE Network out on even more devices soon if they can't even get the player to be fully functional yet, man. =/

My life for being able to skip to an exact position on the progress bar instead of just skipping minutes in front or ahead of where I click. ffs.

elektrixx

Banned
I don't understand these Simpsons references

Because the Simpsons is garbage.

vince5.gif

jmdajr

21 Million! They'll never reach that for a niche product like wrestling. I'm not saying they can't get 1-2 million world wide but those are lofty goals. Edit: just saw the other post.

So now we have to wait for the end of the day or tomorrow to hear the stock woes.

sorry type-o.

So yes 1million world wide I think is still possible.

Fox Mulder

It's worth it just for the PPVs every month for me. I don't even watch anything on it other than NXT and sometimes Main Event

there's certainly value there considering what ppvs used to cost.

it just turns out that i dont give a shit about the current stuff. I stopped watching after the god awful wcw invasion, and the few ppvs I've tried to watch since signing up with wrestlemania have been bad. I started liking the wyatts, but they're jobbers.

they're slow adding their back library and I signed up for nitro and raw nostalgia.

it's a great service that has potential. They just need to ride out the rough start. Cutting the budget won't help make the network look better though.

jmdajr

I remember having to watch The Simpsons on satellite because FOX was still a relatively small network. And I'm talking analog satellite.

dream

I was kind of hoping for numbers that would make me go
fat-kid-celebrates.gif

But as I enjoy my first cup of coffee, I find myself reflecting on how desperately the WWE promoted the Network--basically begging for subscriptions, and giving all sorts of worthless trinkets away to people for signing up--and the fact that they were only able to get 33,000 signups in quarter fills me with a subtle, serene happiness.

This flop couldn't have happened to a more deserving company.

Sid

If I was in charge of the Network my strategy would have been different:-
$20 a month
Launch the Network with WM 30 and every 1997-2013 PPV,RAW,SD and every 1997-2001 Nitro.
More original programming and documentaries
More features like bookmarking etc.
Limit the number of devices to 2
Upload new RAW and SD episodes a year later from their airing
Make people pay for PPVs as a result since that business was doing well anyways.

dream

If I was in charge of the Network my strategy would have been different:-
$20 a month
Launch the Network with WM 30 and every 1997-2013 PPV,RAW,SD and every 1997-2001 Nitro.
More original programming and documentaries
More features like bookmarking etc.
Upload new RAW and SD episodes a year later from their airing
Make people pay for PPVs as a result since that business was doing well anyways.

But if you subscribe to the "there's enough free wrestling available on a weekly basis" theory (and I think there's a lot of truth to it), the Network is probably worthless without PPVs.

Shit, aside from January, April, and August, the Network is worthless even with PPVs.

I was kind of hoping for numbers that would make me go
fat-kid-celebrates.gif

But as I enjoy my first cup of coffee, I find myself reflecting on how desperately the WWE promoted the Network--basically begging for subscriptions, and giving all sorts of worthless trinkets away to people for signing up--and the fact that they were only able to get 33,000 signups in quarter fills me with a subtle, serene happiness.

This flop couldn't have happened to a more deserving company.
They are in panic mode and they don't change. It's so fucking easyto make content for these thing. We are dealing with gimmicks and characters. I mean for fucks sake, have youtube type shit where they go through their daily lives and everyday situations in complete kayfabe.

Cena walking out with the belt in Summerslam. Their panic mode was to give him belt. He keeping the belt. If im Vince, aim sensing Daniel Bryan to the greatest doctors and surgeons on the planet to get him back. Brah only other one who can move ratings and merchandise.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Rogers is also footing the bill with the CTRC submissions and compliance and shit. WWE's saving money there.

dream

The significance of the XFL debacle is less monetary and more symbolic though. It just reinforced that the public will always consider Vince McMahon to be a carny conman, and despite his desperate need to be known as something other than a rasslin promoter, nothing he touches will ever be well-received by a respectable public.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
If they would have had a better tv deal that promotion would've survived. Atleast for a good few seasons.

I dunno they were partnered with NBC and gave them GREAT exposure at least in the beginning.

The significance of the XFL debacle is less monetary and more symbolic though. It just reinforced that the public will always consider Vince McMahon to be a carny conman, and despite his desperate need to be known as something other than a rasslin promoter, nothing he touches will ever be well-received by a respectable public.

That and I still don't believe there's desire for year-round football happening. It didn't work for all the other football leagues and this was just another.

It's pretty crazy how much the XFL's influence was felt and what the NFL picked up from it. There was merit to a lot of ideas there.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
XFL lacked a Gary Strydom/John Cena.

And no it wasn't He Hate Me. As much as it should've been.

I love He Hate Me. Probably the most iconic player of the XFL which is saying nearly nothing.

cmsDjWk.jpg

For anyone interested, or missed it back when the article first hit, there's an incredibly fascinating XFL article completely worth your time here:

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/5/7/5683742/xfl-oral-history
"AN ORAL HISTORY OF THE FAST LIFE AND QUICK DEATH OF THE XFL"

I dunno they were partnered with NBC and gave them GREAT exposure at least in the beginning.

That and I still don't believe there's desire for year-round football happening. It didn't work for all the other football leagues and this was just another.

It's pretty crazy how much the XFL's influence was felt and what the NFL picked up from it. There was merit to a lot of ideas there.

The first game did a 9.5 rating, but slipped as the weeks went by.

The USFL was the only spring league that caught on for a while...blame Vince's boy Trump for its demise.

The only two things I remember about the XFL were the Skycam and He Hate Me.

joelseph

It might be time to take a break from the hobby friend.

Bowser

Eh, I would likely want the Network for SS, RR and Mania, so $19.99/month with no commitment ends up being $60...which is what a 6 month commitment is. Might as well get the extra 3 months.

Aiii

So not worth it
Really, watching WWE's collapse is the hobby at this point. Aside from Brock and RKO, Vince's desperation is far more exciting than Vince's product.

WWE collapsing?

I hope you enjoy waiting another two decades or so for that, lol.

dream

You know what would be great though, Sunny? If the Network somehow (and this is purely hypothetical because I think they've hit their ceiling) became popular enough to warrant shakedowns from the Internet providers. Can you imagine HHH trying to explain net neutrality to Vince? Can you imagine Vince's reaction once he slowly figures out what that means? Can you imagine the lines Michael Cole and King would be forced to deliver on commentary? Can you imagine Damian Sandow coming out dressed as Comcast Man and getting squashed by Big E. Langston?

Alucard

Banned
Wait wait wait...is the Network only going to be available as a TV channel through Rogers in Canada, or will I be able to sign up online like everyone else?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
You know what would be great though, Sunny? If the Network somehow (and this is purely hypothetical because I think they've hit their ceiling) became popular enough to warrant shakedowns from the Internet providers. Can you imagine HHH trying to explain net neutrality to Vince? Can you imagine Vince's reaction once he slowly figures out what that means? Can you imagine the lines Michael Cole and King would be forced to deliver on commentary? Can you imagine Damian Sandow coming out dressed as Comcast Man and getting squashed by Big E. Langston?

I think they've hit their ceiling too. It's a combination of things working against them.

I strongly feel:

- The people willing to pay are paying
- The people who WOULD pay if they understood computers will never understand computers
- There is too much "free" WWE programming through cable providers
- People are more likely to let it go instead of find other ways to view a PPV (rednecks who don't understand computers, etc)
- The Network itself isn't leveraging the content it could provide to give the diehard people a reason to come back every month

I pay, I'll keep paying, because it's a crazy great value - FOR ME. But not everyone. I think their biggest issue is a combination of stupid people and oversaturation.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I think it's adorable how much WWE thinks their 'target audience' cares about having all that wrestling at their fingertips, and that they care about anything other than what's current.

Could have just done a deal with Netflix or Amazon, but Vince thinks he's special.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, and not being able to put live Raws/SD on there hurts too.

Top Bottom