• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June 2008 NPD Sales Data

mr_bishiuk said:
Resistance 2 is not in the same league as Gears of War or MGS in terms of console sales driver, you forget that November and Devember are the key months, last year MS for example sold almost as many units in December as they have year to date this year!

Releasing MGS in the last quarter would have had a much greater impact on console sales because thats the time people are more willing to drop $400+ on a console and it could have persuaded some to not spend their money on a 360. There is no harm in having too many games out in Christmas it makes it seem that yours is the console to choose, I thought about my post did you?

It doesn't work like that.

Should Microsoft have released Halo 3 during November instead of December?

It's just silly speculation, really. MGS4 got the limelight to itself in the summer with no other major PS3 releases. It was obviously the right time to release it. 1 million US sales for its first NPD is an outstanding number.

MGS3 sold less than 300k during its first US NPD and it had a lot of competition from other titles including Halo 2.

mr_bishiuk said:
Resistance 2 is not in the same league as Gears of War or MGS in terms of console sales driver, you forget that November and Devember are the key months, last year MS for example sold almost as many units in December as they have year to date this year!

Releasing MGS in the last quarter would have had a much greater impact on console sales because thats the time people are more willing to drop $400+ on a console and it could have persuaded some to not spend their money on a 360. There is no harm in having too many games out in Christmas it makes it seem that yours is the console to choose, I thought about my post did you?

Uh dude, I'm not a console wars enthusiast. I've long forgotten about them, I own all 3 consoles.

But let me give this a shot, did I say anything about Resistance being in the same league as MGS? No. I just said Sony could concetrate its efforts on Resistance 2, simply because that will be their main title I'm assuming that will go against Gears 2.

Sony played their cards fine with MGS4. Stop starting silly goddamn stupid srguments for no reason. We are arguing about when Sony should have released MGS4.

How do you know Resistance 2 isn't even in the same league as Gears 2? If you are talking about the game itself, debateable, sales wise, yeah. Gears will definately sell a lot more copies but Resistance 2 if marketed right shouldn't be that far off.

Sony has other titles in that quarter that can have great impact on consoles sales.

Raistlin

ahoyhoy said:
It was not MGS4 that pushed PS3's in June, it was the Gift Card offers being pushed by Wal-Mart and than Target/Best Buy.

Until we have confirmation that NPD actually took that into consideration, I wouldn't jump the gun.

NPD doesn't get real numbers from WalMart ... they estimate.

scola said:
insert joke about MGS4 being the longest movie released on BRD yet ;)

:lol

ha ... walked into that one

_Xenon_ said:
Oh really ? Maybe it's true last year but after this E3 how could you still say so ?

And last time I checked I just can't find a JRPG that has a clear release date and is important enough on PS3. Seriously what are you talking about.

However, the problem is that I don't think any game (even FFXIII) can make either HD console actually take off. Maybe they will see some bumps because of several heavy titles left and right but it's not taking off. Well, at least PS3 has that BD player tag and luckily they won the format war. But for 360 ... I donno, I really hope these netflix / I'm in movie / 1 in 100 buzz can do something.

Okay. So like I said. I'm not into this shit, I'm not as serious as you guys.

But wait, 360 and Ps3 to me seem pretty =. Not sure where this whole "OMFG, 360 is the Jrpg console of the generation" and stuff.

Last Remnant (Ps3/360), Tales of Vesperia (you guys really think Ps3 won't get one as well?), SO4 (This is exclusive to 360 right? But it COULD be announced for the Ps3 as well), Enchanted Arms (Ps3/360), Eternal Sonata (Ps3/360), Infinite Undiscovery (360), White Knight Chronicles (Ps3), Blue Dragon (360), Disgaiea (spelling? Ps3), Lost Oddysey (360), Valkryia Chronicles or something (Ps3), FF13 (Ps3, 360).

So as far as I see it, it is pretty evenly distributed. Am I wrong or what? Not sure how you people do this console wars or lists shit here.

There are plenty more RPGs on 360 than PS3 including a tonne more support from even Japanease developers. If you are not aware of this its pointless discussing the topic further with you.

Plenty more? See my above post. Tonne more support from Japanese developers? Proof please? Stop shitting facts out of your ass.

For a guy like me who don't follow all this stuff, I think I did pretty good don't cha think?

Can someone as well, please tell me how much did some of the Jrpg's on 360 sold? I heard Blue Dragon and Lost Oddysey didn't do to well, actually, I heard BD did horrible and LO did pretty good.

onipex

FortunateSon said:
Uh dude, I'm not a console wars enthusiast. I've long forgotten about them, I own all 3 consoles.

But let me give this a shot, did I say anything about Resistance being in the same league as MGS? No. I just said Sony could concetrate its efforts on Resistance 2, simply because that will be their main title I'm assuming that will go against Gears 2.

Sony played their cards fine with MGS4. Stop starting silly goddamn stupid srguments for no reason. We are arguing about when Sony should have released MGS4.

How do you know Resistance 2 isn't even in the same league as Gears 2? If you are talking about the game itself, debateable, sales wise, yeah. Gears will definately sell a lot more copies but Resistance 2 if marketed right shouldn't be that far off.

Sony has other titles in that quarter that can have great impact on consoles sales.

I don't think Resistance sold even half as much as Gears so how do you think Resistance 2 can be even close. I'm not saying that it is a bad game or not as good, but just going by history GOW2 will sale a lot more.

Sony played their cards very well with MGS4 and had gift cards as well as a bundle to help push PS3 sales. GTA4 would have also pushed PS3/360 sales more if it was bundled I think.

onipex said:
I don't think Resistance sold even half as much as Gears so how do you think Resistance 2 can be even close. I'm not saying that it is a bad game or not as good, but just going by history GOW2 will sale a lot more.

Sony played their cards very well with MGS4 and had gift cards as well as a bundle to help push PS3 sales. GTA4 would have also pushed PS3/360 sales more if it was bundled I think.

Probably, Gears is a much bigger series and probably known to more casuals, so yeah, you are right.

But at that time, you also have to remember, Resistance just came out and didn't have that much of a marketing push and the Ps3 userbase was much much smaller, now that people have played and know what Resistance is all about, the 2nd one looks to be much better in gameplay, graphics, online and with the marketing Sony gives it, it could do much much better than what Resistance did.

Resistance did not have the luxury of what Gears had.

But yeah, in general, Gears 2 > Resistance 2 sales wise. The game itself, debateable.

MGS4 is basically the Halo 3 push for the PS3. Everyone I know who wanted to get a PS3 were basically waiting till MGS4 to get it. So it comes to no surprise that PS3 doubled its hardware sales.

Metal Gear Solid 5 & 6 confirmed.

Also Raiden Gaiden!

Sony will rise to the heaven's on franchise attrition! :p

kojima-camp.jpg

Awntawn

onipex said:
Resistance 1 was a launch title. In fact, it was the only title worth anything for the first half year or so. I'd say it did pretty damn well in terms of selling consoles.

DevilWillcry said:
Oh so MGS4 is suddenly going to go away during the holiday season? It's still going to be a selling point for the PS3 come the holidays and I'm sure Sony will remind everybody with another montage of their 2008 games during the holiday season. If someone wants MGS4 and they haven't bought a PS3 yet for some reason then they will be reminded during the holiday montage. No reason to hold a game back when it's ready.

True, but the media wont be talking about it amd I cant see Konami pumping much money into advertising it once all the bulk of the sales are in.

I jest feel that they perhaps should have treated it like a movie and released it for maximum effect, they certainly wouldn't have lost any sales because of it.

PhatSaqs said:
MS sold more 360s this June than last. Yes they could and should be doing even better if they dropped the price by now but to say it's doing pathetic is pretty shortsighted IMO. The Wii is a virus unknown to man in terms of sales and the PS3 just had a phenomenal release which spurred damn good sales.

Also, I am sure the crappy economy has in general slowed down sales.

carlos

Regarding Resistance's sales:

Remember that Resistance had the dubious honor of launching with the most expensive console ever (aside from 3DO, but c'mon)

It might not seem like much, but spending 60+ for a game alongside a 600+ console is quite a hit to the wallet.

Anecdotal evidence, I know, but in my case, I didn't end up buying a game (resistance) to go along with the ps3 until many months after launch, and that was off ebay. (I lived off demos for quite a while)

onipex

FortunateSon said:
Probably, Gears is a much bigger series and probably known to more casuals, so yeah, you are right.

But at that time, you also have to remember, Resistance just came out and didn't have that much of a marketing push and the Ps3 userbase was much much smaller, now that people have played and know what Resistance is all about, the 2nd one looks to be much better in gameplay, graphics, online and with the marketing Sony gives it, it could do much much better than what Resistance did.

Resistance did not have the luxury of what Gears had.

But yeah, in general, Gears 2 > Resistance 2 sales wise. The game itself, debateable.

It had a very big marketing push. I thought it was the flag ship launch title. I saw a commercial for it almost every 10 minutes.

Both are fun games.

Steroyd

Something tells me that MS getting FFXIII multiplatform is gonna do fuck all to hardware sales on both consoles (Megaflop). MGS4 >>> GTAIV :lol :lol :lol

Memles

TheGrayGhost said:
That actually happened on the Price is Right? Shit!

It's a clip from How I Met Your Mother, a(n awesome) CBS sitcom. Neil Patrick Harris is the Wii, it's a fantastic episode.

Jag22

Banned
gantz85 said:
Why bring up Halo? Stop trying to incite a flame war.

I'm not, I just mentioned Halo because whoever brought up Resistance was suggesting it's sales were hurt by being a launch title.

Usually it helps more than anything.

Brashnir

Onix said:
So its just coincidental that the PS3 had a huge bump when MGS4 was released?

I assumed he meant half of a normal month's sales, because as you said, half of this month's sales would be absolutely daffy. I still think even that is too high, though. If I had to guess, I'd say maybe 5-20% of a normal month's PS3 sales are being sold primarily as Blu-Ray players. Around 10-40k a month, tops. If they're really selling 100k PS3s a month to people not interested in games at all, PS3 would be in big, big trouble, and software sales on the platform don't bear that out.

Jag22 said:
I'm not, I just mentioned Halo because whoever brought up Resistance was acting like it's sales were hurt by being a launch title.

Usually it helps more than anything.
Hell, PDZ sold a ton. Nuff said.

few things:

1. Perfect Dark has some history behind it (being part of the Perfect Dark Series).

2. Resistance was a relatively unknown IP and a launch title.

3. Being a launch title hurt Resistance mainly because of the 599 price of the PS3 more than anything else. PS3 did not have the best start in the US, and generally launch sales are pretty high...not the case with the PS3...lack of supply killed some early demand as did the high price point.

Resistance 2 should do quite a bit better than the first one, especially given all the community features and attention its getting.

BatmanX

le.phat said:
sony has a SLEW of those so i think they're on the right track :D

Hoping so, but honestly I don't know if lbp or resistance 2 will move much hardware as mgs4 has done, I see more kz2 and god of wa3 like system seller.

Striker

Private Hoffman said:
few things:

1. Perfect Dark has some history behind it (being part of the Perfect Dark Series).

3. Being a launch title hurt Resistance mainly because of the 599 price of the PS3 more than anything else. PS3 did not have the best start in the US, and generally launch sales are pretty high...not the case with the PS3...lack of supply killed some early demand as did the high price point.

Resistance 2 should do quite a bit better than the first one, especially given all the community features and attention its getting.
Halo was on a new console and was not a console game prior before being released on the Xbox. It also was a launch title and sold how many... 6M? It shouldn't hinder it like many here are claiming.

BatmanX

TTP said:
I
I hope publishers take notice and stop ignoring 10 months out of 12 for their biggest releases.

Hoping the same but still after dmc4 in january and gtaIV in april (and if confirmed re5 next march) still I'm a bit skeptical about seeing a change in the trend

PS3 was twice the price of Xbox1 at their respective launches.

Console prices is hurting next gen game more than anything. And PS3 being a BR player is hurting it too.

Brashnir

Private Hoffman said:
few things:

While this is true, Resistance also sold to a lot of people because it was the only interesting game on the system for a very long time. I didn't buy another retail game for my PS3 until Uncharted and Ratchet came out.

I think Resistance 2 will sell well, and maybe (probably) do better than the first, so I'm not necessarily arguing with you, but I don't think being a launch title hurt its sales much at all.

Striker said:
Halo was on a new console and was not a console game prior before being released on the Xbox. It also was a launch title and sold how many... 6M? It shouldn't hinder it like many here are claiming.

Halo also had the benefit of really being the first quality first person console shooter at the time with great multiplayer LAN play (the reason it had good legs).

The market is much more saturated now, and the bar had been raised. Resistance is definitely a quality game, but it wasn't anywhere near the genre defining game that Halo seemed to be on the console space.

BatmanX said:
Hoping the same but still after dmc4 in january and gtaIV in april (and if confirmed re5 next march) still I'm a bit skeptical about seeing a change in the trend
I think this is a trend that will continue.

Companies need to space their games out intelligently.

You're seeing a shift away from a game NEEDING to come out during the holiday season in order to sell big.

Next year you have Killzone 2 in february and then RE5 in March.

Those are two very, very big releases.

I love it, too. Less waiting for quality games. Space the quality games out more so I have time to play them. Also gives people a chance to beef up their bank account instead of being drained all at once.

Raistlin

Sgt. Killjoy said:
PS3 was twice the price of Xbox1 at their respective launches.

Console prices is hurting next gen game more than anything. And PS3 being a BR player is hurting it too.

wat?

Neo C.

Quite a slow NPD thread. I guess a lot of people already spit their anger in several E3 threads.

Also good numbers overall. Summer vacation seems to be a good thing to the game industry.

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
My two cents,

MS needs to cut prices, at least put the core pack at 199 dollars, and this asap. 360 can sell software and more hardware sales would mean more software sales plus potentially new XBL Goldmembers..

Xeke

Banned
bycha said:
It's fun now how many people believed even a year ago that MS can actually won over Sony worldwide.

It's fun now how may people believed even a year ago that Sony can actually won over Nintendo worldwide.

Xamdou

Glad to see MGS4 selling that much last June, the game deserves it.

PS3 numbers are fantastic as well, MGS4 is the reason i got a PS3 and also for the blu-ray of course :D

itsgreen

Whats to say... MGS4... good for Sony :) although they might have prefered a bigger jump. It is not that huge, than again, the Halo 3 bump wasn't large either...

guess the more 'hardcore' base has already got one of the consoles :)

Kujo

I looked through most of this thread but didn't find it so:

Does anyone have the LTD numbers for PS2, PSP, and DS?

Top Bottom