• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin' |OT| Powered by Bluekaveli

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
0IDjXO1.png

JavyOO7

So I'm in September '99 now, right? And I'm feeling like WCW has just kind of regressed to their previous lows. Like, not low lows, say, when Hulkamania was running wild in ~'95; just generally dumb-ish WCW wrasslin' lows. There's still some good stuff here and there, along with some nonsensical crap.

But why is ~'99 WCW remembered as the worst thing ever then, Zach?

Well, I feel that people were especially harsh on WCW for two reasons:

1.) We never got an nWo payoff. The nWo was never vanquished. Hollywood Hogan was never truly defeated. He just started acting a little Hulk Hogan-y, and then was injured by new heel DDP, and then came back as The Hulkster. This left hardcore WCW stans (as the kidz say) with a void that endures today.

Clearly -- and I'm sure this was all stupid Hogan's fault -- but clearly Hollywood Hogan (and the nWo) should've been CRUSHED and clearly DEFEATED, and then The Hulkster could go away and have surgery or whatever and then come back apologetically. And then he could've gone for a more organic red-and-yellow run than what's being totally forced right now (in Sept. '99).

2.) The Tude Era was super kewl in '99 and WCW wrasslin' totally suxed. It was just a Trump-y time. Austin and The Rock (among other way worse acts, unfortunately) were exciting and cool. WCW was passe, and consistently overreacted at their sudden uncoolness, instead of just choosing a course and staying it.

So WCW was an easy target, and the pile-up began, and the over-corrections continued, and mergers happened, and WCW was never able to right the ship. But I kind of believe, at least right now, that WCW would've eventually turned it around. They might not have ever been #1 again, but they could've gone back to being a solid #2 American promotion. They just needed a clear direction and different goal (not toppling the WWF).

If only Hogan stopped being a freaking dork and retired after Starrcade '97. And being destroyed by Sting. And the nWo not existing after that too.

The early Nitro's, the 95 episodes, are so much fun when Hogan isn't around. I haven't watched anything past '95 because while it'd probably still be fun, its gonna suck knowing very soon into '96 that Hogan is going to take all the camera time. And Nitro goes 2 hours...

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
ok....logically Dean should accept the offer because it gives him a higher chance to retain his title...but this is wwe

EDIT: I could get behind Aj in the match

Top Bottom