• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

June Wrasslin |OT| When you lose, you're a jobber, when you win, you're Cena.

Aiii

So not worth it
clipboard01ln.jpg

Because, really, who wouldn't?

Kyoufu

I miss wrestling. When Punk's contract story was running we weren't posting AJ/Kane/Power Rangers fanart. We were actually talking about the show.

:(

We all miss talking about the show, why at this point even the rather dreadful first 3 months of the year with "EMBRACE THE HATE" "KUNG-POW BITCH!" and the end of the world as we know it seem like wonderful nostalgia even though they were dire.

Even thinking of it as a TV Show/Sitcom or whatever, there's nothing to talk about. Nothing happens. All those writers and nothing actually happens. No character progressions. No storyline progressions. No hooks from one 'episode' to another. Where's the draw to watch next week?

WHERE ARE MY CLIFFHANGERS DAMMIT.

John Cena is the cliffhanger, tune in next week for more Cena doing Cena heroics, in that sense it's like the appeal kids have for their favourite cartoon involving an invincible hero and ineffective villains.

Aiii

So not worth it
Aside from Bryan/AJ, Kane putting on his mask and... Well, I guess the new guys that were introduced (by default) everyone is pretty much stuck on auto-loop character wise.

Well, I guess Big Show turned heel for the millionth time.

UberTag

John Cena is the cliffhanger, tune in next week for more Cena doing Cena heroics, in that sense it's like the appeal kids have for their favourite cartoon involving an invincible hero and ineffective villains.
John Cena = Ash Ketchum
All WWE Heels = Team Rocket

Seeing how this is Vickie week, let's call her Meowth while Ziggles/Swagger serve as Jessie/James. Can't wait to see them go blasting off again. Ziggles is just so damn good at selling it.

At least Pokemon is smart enough to never have Ash win the whole thing so there's a reason to keep tuning in after 14 years. With Cena they're reduced to lying and fabricating that he's an underdog.

Aside from Bryan/AJ, Kane putting on his mask and... Well, I guess the new guys that were introduced (by default) everyone is pretty much stuck on auto-loop character wise.

Well, I guess Big Show turned heel for the millionth time.

Big show heel turn is part of his character loop at this point.

R truths Heel turn last year (?) was pretty great. First decent turn in a while. shame he was so awesome at it they turned him into a crazy face.

Ithil

Big show heel turn is part of his character loop at this point.

R truths Heel turn last year (?) was pretty great. First decent turn in a while. shame he was so awesome at it they turned him into a crazy face.

I knew it would happen, but of course he then turned from a crazy face to the same face he was before, only with Little Jimmy shirts.

Poster for ROH's next iPPV; Death Before Dishonor X, live worldwide via iPPV from the Frontier Fieldhouse in Chicago Ridge, IL on Saturday, September 15th;

ibi7Eg1KXSD97M.jpg

After last night's largely successful and technically sound iPPV, I'll have no problem giving ROH my money for the next one. I doubt the poster hints towards any matches, but Elgin vs Rhino could be cool.

Fucking stupid how the WWE don't like people liking their heels, so they turn them for the sake of it.

I agree, but that means your boy D Brine is next. He gets more cheers than most faces. Especially if Orton doesn't come back.

As for Big Show, the only feud I think would be mildly entertaining with him in it would be Sheamus. Sheamus works well with the big guys (his feud with Henry last year was good) plus he's big enough to be believable against them. But, from the looks of it (at least from the sound of Show's last promo) we're going to see him feud with Punk, which was boring two years ago and will be boring now.

What are some cool DVDs with good docos on them?

I just got the Clash of the Champions DVD this weekend and while its cool and I'll always purchase anything WCW, the ones with 'just matches' gets a bit boring, especially when its ones I've seen lol. I much prefer 40min-1hr or so documentary segment and then the matches.

Striker

I agree, but that means your boy D Brine is next. He gets more cheers than most faces. Especially if Orton doesn't come back.

As for Big Show, the only feud I think would be mildly entertaining with him in it would be Sheamus. Sheamus works well with the big guys (his feud with Henry last year was good) plus he's big enough to be believable against them. But, from the looks of it (at least from the sound of Show's last promo) we're going to see him feud with Punk, which was boring two years ago and will be boring now.
They've backed themselves in a corner. Where can they realistically go with Punk's next feud? Bryan, Ziggler, and Rhodes make most sense in terms of fun, enjoying matches, but they can only Punk-Bryan so much. And putting the matches on the show week in and week out plus the B-show PPV's, it runs dry. How often did Punk-Bryan-Kane get in some sort of match each Raw AND Smackdown? It gets overboard. They also need to beef up Rhodes and Ziggler more, and when they do inevitably face the champion - they will need to be put over, deservedly.

Surely, they'll round in some Kane, Show, or other trash. Look how often they did the Cena vs. Show thing - it's crap booking at its finest.

I bet Vickie books DOLPH ZIGGLER VS SHEAMUS!!!

WOW

I HAVEN'T SEEN THAT BEFORE!

Seriously they've fed Ziggler to him about a million times just this month, he never wins and it always just ends the same...... like every match Sheamus has zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I agree Striker. I would have loved to see Ziggler steal the title from Sheamus at the PPV (and I really thought for a split second he might) just to keep the feud going and to give Ziggler some more credibility.

As for Punk, well I know WWE is loathe to put two top faces against each other but we all know the best feud he has on the roster right now is with Cena. That feud never really reached its apex after MiTB last year because WWE wanted Punk to be the new babyface, but let's be honest - it's a compelling dichotomy of wrestlers and backgrounds, they cut awesome promos with each other, AND it would make Cena watchable again. Doubt we'll see it though.

As for Punk, well I know WWE is loathe to put two top faces against each other but we all know the best feud he has on the roster right now is with Cena. That feud never really reached its apex after MiTB last year because WWE wanted Punk to be the new babyface, but let's be honest - it's a compelling dichotomy of wrestlers and backgrounds, they cut awesome promos with each other, AND it would make Cena watchable again. Doubt we'll see it though.

I've been saying all along that their biggest money match using the current roster is Punk vs Cena and it looks like it will be happening at Summerslam. The oly real question is if it lights a fire in both of them as it did last time or if they fall into their usual antics.

UberTag

I've been saying all along that their biggest money match using the current roster is Punk vs Cena and it looks like it will be happening at Summerslam. The oly real question is if it lights a fire in both of them as it did last time or if they fall into their usual antics.
What other possible course is there for them to take than "their usual antics" at this point? CM Punk can't play the rebel anymore against Cena without sounding like a hypocrite. They've boxed themselves into an angle where a bland respect feud is the only feasible option.

The only real positive is that the title will be elevated in statue for a brief period. And Cena can bag world title #13 and start using his "the Champ is here" catchphrase again outside of the WWE opening bumper.

What other possible course is there for them to take than "their usual antics" at this point? CM Punk can't play the rebel anymore against Cena without sounding like a hypocrite. They've boxed themselves into an angle where a bland respect feud is the only feasible option.

I still feel like Punk can play the underdog under-appreciated role vs Cena. "I put on the best technical wrestling matches in the business and yet you close out PPVs with joke matches against John Lauranitis!" etc etc.

Kyoufu

I agree Striker. I would have loved to see Ziggler steal the title from Sheamus at the PPV (and I really thought for a split second he might) just to keep the feud going and to give Ziggler some more credibility.

Yup. I for one thoroughly enjoyed their feud last year. Punk brings out the best in Cena and promo wise, Cena brings out the best in Punk because of shoots/cold hard truth being spat on the mic.

Punk said in an interview that they WILL eventually feud again. We just don't know when.

Striker

I can't even fathom where they go promo wise.

Punk: Hey John, been winning those matches huh?
Cena: Howya doin' Punk? Been holding that title for over 6 months now, haven't really gotten beat. Pushing out lot of merch. Oh yeah, and I saw you on Fallon doing... snow angels?

Kyoufu

I can't even fathom where they go promo wise.

Punk: Hey John, been winning those matches huh?
Cena: Howya doin' Punk? Been holding that title for over 6 months now, haven't really gotten beat. Pushing out lot of merch. Oh yeah, and I saw you on Fallon doing... snow angels?

Punk: I STARTED as a professional Snow Angeler and I ANGELED to get where I am and yeah, I snow angeled on Jimmy Fallon. Do I want to do it on Conan too? You're daaaaaaamn right!

DKehoe

Poster for ROH's next iPPV; Death Before Dishonor X, live worldwide via iPPV from the Frontier Fieldhouse in Chicago Ridge, IL on Saturday, September 15th;

They really couldn't have gotten a better picture of Michael Elgin?
Glad to hear the show went well for ROH though.

UberTag

Apparently, Vickie is the guest GM tonight?
"Excuse Me!" is so much shorter and more palatable than "My name is John Laurinaitis and I am the executive vice president of talent relations and the interim general manager of Monday Night- blah blah blah" or "May I have your attention please. I have received an E-Mail from the anonymous general manager on my iPad."

Repeating shit that you're not going to plaster on a T-Shirt or a lunchbox is annoying and a textbook example of Lazy Heel Rhetoric 101.

RBH

What are some cool DVDs with good docos on them?

I just got the Clash of the Champions DVD this weekend and while its cool and I'll always purchase anything WCW, the ones with 'just matches' gets a bit boring, especially when its ones I've seen lol. I much prefer 40min-1hr or so documentary segment and then the matches.

Rise and Fall of ECW
WWE Greatest Rivalries: Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart
The Spectacular Legacy of the AWA
WWE: The Road Warriors
The True Story of Wrestlemania
Rise and Fall of WCW
Triumph and Tragedy of World Class Championship Wrestling
Breaking the Code: Chris Jericho
Stone Cold Steve Austin: The Bottom Line on the Most Popular Superstar of All-Time
Bret Hart: The Best There Is, The Best There Was, and The Best There Ever Will Be
Hitman Hart: Wrestling With Shadows
Beyond The Mat
Mania Of WrestleMania
Jake The Snake Roberts: Pick Your Poison

Cagey

Banned

After last night's largely successful and technically sound iPPV, I'll have no problem giving ROH my money for the next one. I doubt the poster hints towards any matches, but Elgin vs Rhino could be cool.

The iPPV went off without a hitch? In person, it was brutal. The ropes were broken (far too loose) in the very first match for the Briscoes v. the Guardians of Truth. Match was basically abandoned: spots changed, finish changed, match ended early etc. Big pause for ring crew to fix ropes. Ropes were AGAIN messed up two matches later. Crowd was furious. Intermission + taped promo + rope fixing took 20 mins, felt like an hour.

The iPPV went off without a hitch? In person, it was brutal. The ropes were broken (far too loose) in the very first match for the Briscoes v. the Guardians of Truth. Match was basically abandoned: spots changed, finish changed, match ended early etc. Big pause for ring crew to fix ropes. Ropes were AGAIN messed up two matches later. Crowd was furious. Intermission + taped promo + rope fixing took 20 mins, felt like an hour.

I guess that on iPPV a lot of it was covered by video packages (that actually worked properly this time) and Kevin & Nigel talking to the camera - I noticed the ropes were messed up in the opener when Mark did his Gran Naniwa impersonation, but I wasn't too into that match anyway. Intermission did seem to drag on a while though, and they kept repeating the same video packages that they'd then play before the match - I must have seen that TV Title promo with Nana & RD Evans about four times last night.

The product is very entertaining in its current state. I'm loving the product and very much look forward to every Monday night to watch Raw and get my wrestling fix.

jmdajr

Rise and Fall of ECW
WWE Greatest Rivalries: Shawn Michaels vs. Bret Hart
The Spectacular Legacy of the AWA
WWE: The Road Warriors
The True Story of Wrestlemania
Rise and Fall of WCW
Triumph and Tragedy of World Class Championship Wrestling
Breaking the Code: Chris Jericho
Stone Cold Steve Austin: The Bottom Line on the Most Popular Superstar of All-Time
Bret Hart: The Best There Is, The Best There Was, and The Best There Ever Will Be
Hitman Hart: Wrestling With Shadows
Beyond The Mat
Mania Of WrestleMania
Jake The Snake Roberts: Pick Your Poison
Heh, I've watched ALL those.

The only real positive is that the title will be elevated in statue for a brief period. And Cena can bag world title #13 and start using his "the Champ is here" catchphrase again outside of the WWE opening bumper.

Why are you brushing this off? Do you really think every issue needs to be built on Serious Personal Issues, those seem to be ruining Punk (and Cena) feuds lately. The best thing about Punk/Cena last year up until MITB, was that it elevated the title.

As of right now Bryan is the only one who seems to care about that belt Championship Title, so having your top guys actually wanting to hold it would be a positive. Also, Punk being on top and lacking the fire he had last year when he was on his way to the top is pretty much fair game as it makes sense in the context of their overall story.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
I miss wrestling. When Punk's contract story was running we weren't posting AJ/Kane/Power Rangers fanart. We were actually talking about the show.

:(
AJ & Kane are part of the show. Maybe not the parts you like, but it's part of the show. I'm sick and tired of people acting like these threads used to be some bastion of wrestling knowledge. It was always full of just gifs and pics (it got so bad at one point that mods had to intervene).

SoulPlaya

more money than God
That was just a short year, or so, a while ago. Not very long. Complaints (posters departing) piled in way before that.
I've been lurking and posting here for years, and I don't see much of the change. This thread is still huge, and honestly gets more posts now than it used to. We used to do weekly threads, and those could sometimes become graveyards, due to little interest. The reason posters left, and they themselves have said this, is due to the quality of the show, not due to the damn thread. They don't find anything interesting on the show to talk about. And personally, I don't care if they leave. Old posters go, new posters come in. People here need to stop turning a few pics and gifs into some scapegoat, when this thread has always been like that. The issue some have is that the pics and gifs aren't about people they're interested in, really.

Linkified

Even thinking of it as a TV Show/Sitcom or whatever, there's nothing to talk about. Nothing happens. All those writers and nothing actually happens. No character progressions. No storyline progressions. No hooks from one 'episode' to another. Where's the draw to watch next week?

WHERE ARE MY CLIFFHANGERS DAMMIT.

Well John Pollock interviewed a guy who worked in the movies, and wanted to have it as detailed as Lost in terms of complex references. Guess who shot it down? Vince. Disney's Muppet team wanted to do a feud running between the Muppets, Moopets, heels and faces leading to and through a new series of The Muppets Show. Disney green lit it and Vince didn't like it. So The Muppets Show got dropped for going through further development.

So Vince basically even during the attitude you didn't get real cliffhangers.

As if 3 hours of Raw and 2 of Smackdown wasn't enough

"STAMFORD, Conn., June 25, 2012 - WWE (NYSE: WWE) and ION Television today announced a new weekly one-hour original series airing on Wednesday nights at 8/7C. WWE Main Event will debut on October 3, 2012, and feature WWE Superstars and Divas from the rosters of Monday Night Raw and Friday Night SmackDown. The new show will be available in 100 million U.S. television households on ION Television, a top-rated general entertainment network that features a broad mix of critically acclaimed series, movies and original programming.

"ION Television is delighted to begin a new partnership with such a successful and well-recognized franchise as WWE," said Brandon Burgess, CEO, ION Media Networks. "As a general entertainment network with a solid foundation, WWE Main Event is a great addition to our lineup that features something for everyone. We look forward to introducing our ION audience to all of the excitement and drama WWE has to offer as well as welcoming a passionate new fan base to the network."

"WWE looks forward to this new partnership with ION Television," said Vince McMahon, WWE Chairman and CEO. "We are excited about producing this new television show, WWE Main Event, and bringing our fans to ION Television every Wednesday."

WWE Main Event will feature in-ring action and fit seamlessly in storylines from Monday Night Raw and Friday Night SmackDown, making Wednesday night appointment viewing for fans. The new series will offer a big arena experience with live audiences like current WWE weekly programs. "

"STAMFORD, Conn., June 25, 2012 - WWE (NYSE: WWE) and ION Television today announced a new weekly one-hour original series airing on Wednesday nights at 8/7C. WWE Main Event will debut on October 3, 2012, and feature WWE Superstars and Divas from the rosters of Monday Night Raw and Friday Night SmackDown. The new show will be available in 100 million U.S. television households on ION Television, a top-rated general entertainment network that features a broad mix of critically acclaimed series, movies and original programming.

"ION Television is delighted to begin a new partnership with such a successful and well-recognized franchise as WWE," said Brandon Burgess, CEO, ION Media Networks. "As a general entertainment network with a solid foundation, WWE Main Event is a great addition to our lineup that features something for everyone. We look forward to introducing our ION audience to all of the excitement and drama WWE has to offer as well as welcoming a passionate new fan base to the network."

"WWE looks forward to this new partnership with ION Television," said Vince McMahon, WWE Chairman and CEO. "We are excited about producing this new television show, WWE Main Event, and bringing our fans to ION Television every Wednesday."

WWE Main Event will feature in-ring action and fit seamlessly in storylines from Monday Night Raw and Friday Night SmackDown, making Wednesday night appointment viewing for fans. The new series will offer a big arena experience with live audiences like current WWE weekly programs. "
#PowerOfJune

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Sounds like a Superstars re-brand.

I can't even begin to imagine the point to WWE Main Event, it's not like we're so strapped for story development time that we need another hour to weave intricate yarns in the squared circle. It will probably turn into the new superstars equivalent.

Or it actually is the Cena Power hour, he is in the main event every month after all. (sorry HBK, your motto need not apply)

I can't even begin to imagine the point to WWE Main Event, it's not like we're so strapped for story development time that we need another hour to weave intricate yarns in the squared circle. It will probably turn into the new superstars equivalent.

Or it actually is the Cena Power hour, he is in the main event every month after all. (sorry HBK, your motto need not apply)

Y'all jus' ignorant. Das ignorant.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

WHAT A MANEUVER! BUT WHO DID IT BETTER?

http://www.wwe.com/classics/classic-lists/who-did-it-better

20120622_Light_10samefinishers_C.jpg

Each WWE Superstar has a set of mastered maneuvers that they employ inside the squared circle. From CM Punk’s Go to Sleep to John Cena’s Attitude Adjustment, some of these moves are distinctive to a particular competitor. But there have been Superstars throughout wrestling history who utilized the same maneuvers, sometimes with different names. The execution may be exactly the same, or a Superstar will add their own unique variation.

WWE Classics looks at 10 of these signature maneuvers used by two different Superstars. It’s up to you to comment on Facebook to decide who did it best.

===================

RKO vs. Diamond Cutter

20120621_same_finishers_10_ARTICLE.jpg

Former WCW Champion Diamond Dallas Page has said that he encouraged Randy Orton to use a variation of the Diamond Cutter as The Viper’s finishing maneuver. DDP’s three-quarter face lock bulldog was the trademark tactic that allowed him to reach success in WCW and WWE. DDP could strike at any moment and few Superstars could escape the impact.

Comparisons between the Diamond Cutter and the RKO have been made over the years, but Randy Orton has made his signature tactic one of the most feared maneuver’s in WWE history. WWE’s Apex Predator takes the concept of the Diamond Cutter and adds an extra level of impact, jumping into mid-air and slamming his opponent to the mat. The Viper has taken opponents down in mid-air and off the top rope.

Like the Diamond Cutter, the RKO can strike in the blink of an eye with extreme prejudice, but Orton brings a faster velocity and higher impact to stop his opponents.

Winner:
-------RKO--------

====================

Boston Crab vs. Walls of Jericho

20120621_same_finishers_4_ARTICLE.jpg

The Boston Crab is often considered to be a maneuver to weaken an opponent, rather than one that ends a contest. However, two Superstars have executed the move with such perfection that the devastating submission hold ultimately became their signature moves. Rick Martel and Chris Jericho are masters of the Boston Crab. They each know how to apply the right amount of pressure on their opponent’s lower backs and pull their legs with the correct amount of leverage to maximize effectiveness.

The Walls of Jericho, however, utilizes a specific variation of the submission hold. When the hold is applied, Jericho stands further back, elevating his opponent higher into the air, creating an added layer of pressure to the recipient’s back. In WCW and ECW, Jericho used another variation of the maneuver popularly known as "The Liontamer." He occasionally uses this version today, where he holds his opponent up even higher and pushes his knee into the back or the head. Between Martel and Jericho, the innovation and creativity the Ayatollah of Rock n’ Rolla has brought to the submission hold makes him the true master.

Winner:
Walls of Jericho

====================

Razor’s Edge vs. High Cross

20120621_same_finishers_1_ARTICLE.jpg

The crucifix powerbomb is a maneuver that requires strength, balance and speed executed with pinpoint precision for maximum impact. Razor Ramon and Sheamus are two of the only Superstars in WWE history to truly master the proper execution of this crushing move.

Razor Ramon made The Razor’s Edge his trademark move in the early 1990s and continued to use it successfully in WCW, redubbed as The Outsider’s Edge. Ramon’s resilience often allowed him to wear down his opponent long enough to allow a little extra arrogance before executing the move.

Although Sheamus employs the High Cross, his Brogue Kick has become the most explosive maneuver in his arsenal. The Celtic Warrior’s execution of the move uses all of the elements required to make it successful, but Razor Ramon’s added style and use of it as his only finishing move gives him an edge.

Winner:
Razor’s Edge

==================

Camel Clutch vs. Steiner Recliner

20120621_same_finishers_9_ARTICLE.jpg

The Camel Clutch is one of the most commonly applied submission maneuvers in sports-entertainment. Revolutionized by Gory Guerrero, the hold is designed to apply pressure to an opponent’s neck, back and head in an effort to make them submit or weaken them. There are a handful of Superstars who have performed the move properly and with enough power that they utilize the hold as their finishing move.

The Iron Sheik became a feared competitor because he executed the Camel Clutch with great ferocity. Tying in his military background with his Olympic experience as a Greco-Roman wrestler, the Iranian-born WWE Hall of Famer often threatened to break rival’s backs with frightening conviction.

When Scott Steiner adopted the moniker “Big Poppa Pump,” he embraced his transformation into a pure powerhouse. “The Big Bad Booty Daddy” used his impressive physique and strength to decimate his opponents and employed a variation of the Camel Clutch. Opponents were pulled higher in The Steiner Recliner, resulting in more tension on the back than The Camel Clutch. Big Poppa Pump had the right combination of power and technical skills to inflict pain on his opponents and ensure their defeat.

Winner:
Steiner Recliner

====================

Frog Splash vs. Five Star Frog Slash

20120621_same_finishers_7_ARTICLE.jpg

Rob Van Dam and WWE Hall of Famer Eddie Guerrero achieved success outside of WWE in ECW and WCW before reaching the pinnacle of sports-entertainment and becoming WWE Champions. On their way to achieving greatness, both competitors utilized the high-flying maneuver known as the Frog Splash.

Although RVD and Guerrero both performed the finishing maneuver, the execution of each respective Frog Splash differed. Guerrero hammered opponents with pinpoint accuracy, carefully plotting his point of impact. RVD’s Five Star Frog Splash added velocity to the mix and he still rarely missed his mark.

ECW’s former play-by-play commentator Joey Styles witnessed both Superstars perform the move several times and did not hesitate when explaining which Superstar had the better variation.

“Quite frankly, RVD has the greatest frog splash in sports-entertainment history, that’s why I named it the Five Star Frog Splash,” Styles told WWE Classics. “No one could get higher than him, and if his opponent wasn’t lined up correctly, he could make the adjustment in mid-air.”

Winner:
Five Star Frog Slash

===================

Ankle Lock vs. Angle Lock

20120621_same_finishers_6_ARTICLE.jpg

When MMA fighter Ken Shamrock made his way to WWE in the late 1990s, he brought his own brand of intensity and style of competition to the squared circle. Shamrock also introduced the WWE Universe to his finishing move, The Ankle Lock.

A few years later, Olympic gold medalist Kurt Angle made his WWE debut and adopted the hold, calling it the "Angle Lock." Angle added his own variation to Shamrock’s innovative maneuver, wrapping his own leg around his opponent’s and dropping to the mat. The Olympic Superstar’s addition to the move prevents other competitors from rolling out of the submission or crawling to the ropes.

Although Shamrock innovated the move, Angle’s variation of the ankle lock gives him a clear advantage, one that any Superstars continuing to use the maneuver should study.

Winner:
Angle Lock

==================

Million Dollar Dream vs. Cobra Clutch

20120621_same_finishers_3_ARTICLE.jpg

WWE Hall of Famers Sgt. Slaughter and "The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase are bonafide legends inside the squared circle. Both competitors achieved great success in WWE and both used the same finishing hold to build their accolades. Sarge’s Cobra Clutch and DiBiase' Million Dollar Dream served as both a submission and a variation of the sleeper hold.

From a technical standpoint, both WWE Hall of Famers executed the move perfectly and anyone caught in the hold was surely going to end up on the losing end of a contest. It’s tough to definitively state who performed the move better, but the maneuver has become synonymous with Sgt. Slaughter.

In the 1980s, Sgt. Slaughter issued The Cobra Clutch Challenge, daring anyone brazen enough to try and break the hold. Pat Patterson, Rick McGraw and Barry Windham all failed to break the former Marine’s trademark submission hold.

Winner:
Cobra Clutch

===================

Spear vs. SPEAR! SPEAR! SPEAR!

20120621_same_finishers_8_ARTICLE.jpg

Goldberg and WWE Hall of Famer Edge are two of the most popular Superstars of all time. Both ring warriors utilized two different styles of competition but shared a common link, the Spear.

Each respective competitor’s execution of the move was fast and powerful. Goldberg used it to knock the wind out of his opponents as he prepared for his finishing move, the Jackhammer. Edge, however, actually used the Spear as one of his finishing maneuvers.

Still, Goldberg’s spear cut down 173 consecutive opponents, big and small. That doesn’t even include the numerous times he fended off The nWo or would-be interferers from ending his streak with the powerful tackle. Since Goldberg first used the move, Superstars including Batista and Bobby Lashley have followed the former WCW Champion’s lead in using the devastating takedown, making him the true master of the attack.

Winner:
------Spear------------

====================

The Book End vs. The Rock Bottom

bookendrockbottom.jpg

The Rock and Booker T are icons of sports-entertainment and have faced off in the ring numerous times. In 2001, the two Superstars battled for the WCW Championship – and more personally – over their similar finishing maneuvers, The Rock Bottom and The Book End.

At first glance, the maneuvers are nearly identical. Both are set up and performed in the same manner, but the main difference comes with the impact. When executing The Rock Bottom, The Great One extenuates the impact by slamming his opponent to the mat at full force. Booker T’s Book End is executed differently because Booker T drops to his knees as he drives the opponent to the mat. Both moves have been used to secure victory, but the force and the speed of The Rock Bottom make it the more devastating of the two. Just ask Hulk Hogan, “Stone Cold” Steve Austin and John Cena, who have all been taken down by the move.

Winner:
Rock Bottom

==================

The Scorpion Death Lock vs. The Sharpshooter

stingbret.jpg

The most controversial debate on this list revolves around the devastating Sasori-gatame. A heated debate was unleashed at WWE.com between those who favor The Scorpion Death Lock and editors who favor The Sharpshooter. Some argued that argued WCW’s face-painted franchise, Sting, applied the hold properly and with a bit more style – holding his hand in the air and calling for fans to cheer in support. Others asserted that WWE Hall of Famer Bret “Hit Man” Hart made the move popular and is the most identified with the hold.

The two legends battled in 1998 and 1999, because of this very argument. The matches both have questionable endings and there was never definitive certainty over who applied the submission better. After lengthy arguments, point and counterpoints and running in circles, WWE.com decided this argument is best left to the WWE Universe.

Winner: You Decide on Facebook

WCxo3.png

kpvD0.png

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Raw Five-Point preview: June 25, 2012

20120618_LIGHT_raw_jerichoreturns_C.jpg

As time marches on in the post-John Laurinaitis era, Raw SuperShow enters week two of its unpredictable interim until a new general manager is crowned. With Vickie Guerrero running the show this week, how will things pan out following Triple H’s attack of Paul Heyman, or AJ’s creepy flirtation with The Devil’s Favorite Demon? And then there’s the return of Chris Jericho, who’ll be back on Raw SuperShow after a brief absence from the ring. What will the new week bring for the WWE Superstars and Divas? Here are five things to look out for on Raw SuperShow.

Jericho returns

As The Ayatollah of Rock ‘N’ Rolla prepares to rock Raw SuperShow, the WWE Universe is surely wondering what “The Man of 1,004 Holds” has in store for his fellow WWE Superstars. When last we saw him, Jericho was in sharp contention for both the WWE and World Heavyweight Titles, but the landscape of WWE has changed drastically in the short time he's been away. How will the self-proclaimed “Best in the World at What He Does” adjust to the brave new world that awaits him?

AJ's master plan?

NWO12_Photo_143.jpg

So, it’s official. AJ kind of has a thing for Kane. But The Geek Goddess is taking her obsession to new heights by dressing up in Kane’s mask and actively helping The Devil’s Favorite Demon beat her egomaniacal ex, Daniel Bryan, in a one-on-one match on SmackDown. The thing is, though, AJ’s clearly not done meddling in the Bryan-Kane-CM Punk rivalry, if her conspiratorial glances toward The Second City Saint at No Way Out are any indication. Has Kane really captured AJ’s heart? Or is there an endgame in mind?

Ready for Prime Time?

TF5HJ.gif

A.W. seems to think The Prime Time Players will live up to their promise and line his pockets with “millions of dollars,” but the No. 1 contenders still have plenty of work to do before they’re ready to take on the Tag Team Champs, Kofi Kingston & R-Truth. And it’s a fair bet that Primo & Epico, A.W.’s jilted former clients, aren’t done with the Players by a long shot, since A.W. robbed them of a chance at payback on last week’s Raw SuperShow. In any case, challengers for two of the ring’s most hated men should be coming out of the woodwork when Raw reconvenes.

Heath Slater Can't Stop

RAW_995_Photo_107-1

Say what you will about Heath Slater, but “The One Man Southern Rock Band” has guts. In consecutive weeks, he’s appropriated “It’s Slater Time!” as a catchphrase and interrupted Cyndi Lauper and “Rowdy” Roddy Piper to foist his earsplitting single upon the WWE Universe. Neither endeavor ended particularly well for him, but Slater is the kind of guy who won’t take a few disappointments lying down. The march to Raw 1,000 has been fraught with WWE legends thus far. That’s a lot of people for him to offend.

The punch heard 'round the world

TzDwF.png

Triple H may have let his temper get the better of him when Paul Heyman replied to The Game’s SummerSlam challenge against Brock Lesnar (quick refresher: a one-on-one match in lieu of the courtroom battle the wrecking machine is waging) with a series of scathing insults at The King of Kings’ home life. Specifically, the future Hall of Famer dropped any sense of propriety and socked the litigious ECW founder square in the head. Assuming Heyman’s recovered from his impromptu clobbering, what will he have to say to Triple H when the court, so to speak, reconvenes?

2WRUP.png
2WRUP.png
2WRUP.png

Top Bottom