• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Junji Ito’s Uzumaki anime (Official Teaser)

Doom85

Scared Saturday Night Live GIF by HULU

Brace yourself, people. We might finally be getting a proper Junji Ito anime.

Last edited:

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
This the guy that has the story of the people drawn to holes in a wall and they walk through and end up all twisted at the end?

Im down for that...

yes. that's his short story, The Enigma Of Amigara Fault. it's amount one of many of his short horror stories. Uzumaki on the other hand, while is somewhat similar being a collection of a lot of indiviidual short stories, they all happened in one village and has an overarching theme to them. I personally love it the most out of all of Junji Ito's collections and I can't wait for this to come out after all these years.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Weird to watch this on Toonami. I’d rather just buy it or something. I’ve owned quite a few of his books and the anime that kinda sucked. This actually looks good.

Doczu

Wow, finally. It has been delayed like what, twice already? Can't wait! The trailer not only looks good, but the music is also top notch 👌🏻

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
The anime series I've seen come off as more goofy than horror. I have the Uzumaki book and it really creeps me out but the anime series made me laugh.

Should I purchase the manga? I am a horror buff sort of person but I hate books. My brain is not hard wired to shit down and flip through some fucking pages. That said, I've read through Rurouni Kenshin, GANTZ, and Berserk online. Physical media is always great. Maybe it will be worth something one day.

Doczu

Should I purchase the manga? I am a horror buff sort of person but I hate books. My brain is not hard wired to shit down and flip through some fucking pages. That said, I've read through Rurouni Kenshin, GANTZ, and Berserk online. Physical media is always great. Maybe it will be worth something one day.
Check a chapter or two online.
The art style is almost 1:1 with the anime. If you like it then buy it, if not just wait for the anime and buy it afterwards.

There are highs and lows in the whole manga, but if you like cosmic horror, liked games like Silent Hill, Forbidden Siren and World of Horror (which is literally Junji Ito: The Game) then you'll like it.

Doom85

neil smiling GIF

While I think certain moments of imagery of Ito’s style may not translate as well to animation, you can tell the studio’s staff are still giving it their all. If they can nail the suspense and grotesque, this should hopefully be a solid adaptation.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I just watched the new trailer and it looks so freaking cool. I never read the comic, but I kinda want to now. I’ve got a long flight in a couple weeks, I might read some of it while I travel.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
I just watched the new trailer and it looks so freaking cool. I never read the comic, but I kinda want to now. I’ve got a long flight in a couple weeks, I might read some of it while I travel.

you should read it. I'm pretty sure the anime won't be covering all the stories in the book so reading it is actually a very good choice. it's my favorite of Junji Ito's work.

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
just watched the first episode, and holy crap this really captured the vibe of the manga. the pacing is definitely a little fast but it's understandable consider how much they have to cover. really looking forward to the rest of the episodes.

Top Bottom