• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jurassic GAF |OT| The Park is closed, the World is open

I never liked the skin/skull structure of the raptors in Jurassic World, but that's down to opinion. However, what is irrefutable is the fact that there was something fucked up about the eyes which made them look fake, like they forgot an opacity shader:

C08n7vPXUAAu4Bu.jpg

So, someone on Twiter made a tweak to eyes (and a bit more) and OMG does it look so much better:

I just felt like sharing, because there was some good CG in JW, but it was often times weighed down by something like the eyes. This little tweak and love takes it so much further.

I never liked the skin/skull structure of the raptors in Jurassic World, but that's down to opinion. However, what is irrefutable is the fact that there was something fucked up about the eyes which made them look fake, like they forgot an opacity shader:

So, someone on Twiter made a tweak to eyes (and a bit more) and OMG does it look so much better:

I just felt like sharing, because there was some good CG in JW, but it was often times weighed down by something like the eyes. This little tweak and love takes it so much further.
I'm not seeing it. Are these before and after shots or two alternate takes? Either way, I'm not getting a "better" vibe. Unless there's an unseen "before" pic to compare it to if it's the latter.

Edit:

Doesn't look bad in comparison, imo. But both shots look cloudy/milky and like earlier generation game graphics in the edited sample(s).

So random question, is "Jurassic World: Survival" suppose to be the revived version of that one supposed cancelled Jurassic Park game that had a bit of leaked gameplay earlier this year?

So random question, is "Jurassic World: Survival" suppose to be the revived version of that one supposed cancelled Jurassic Park game that had a bit of leaked gameplay earlier this year?

Yep! How much has changed since the delay and new developers remains to be seen, though last I heard the concept was very similiar, if not exact.

I doubt they would throw way all those assets and start from scratch - especially as they looked damn good, and animated better.

Fuchsdh

For me the simple issue is the JW raptors don't look much like the JP raptors at all.

God I hate that stego in that scene, posture from a 1980s kids book on dinosaurs. Why not make TRex stand upright and drag its tail for balance while we are at it.
Both postures are featured in the film (the "correct" one is seen by the water).

I don't see why the Stego can't have a relaxed pose, especially since its head isn't anything that would need counterbalancing from a massive tail with spikes.

Amalthea

Banned
God I hate that stego in that scene, posture from a 1980s kids book on dinosaurs. Why not make TRex stand upright and drag its tail for balance while we are at it.
It's one thing to stay with the original science but JW even regressed in some aspects wich was really sad.

The raptors behave and look even more reptilian than ever, hell I wouldn't have been surprised if they actually gave them monitor-lizard tongues like they first planned in JP.

In that regard it also bothered me how almost every carnivore was slinging around their tails like in some Harryhausen flick (no offense to Ray I love his films, RIP).

Sunhi gifs in this bitch yessssss

I want to be excited for Survivor, but I must keep in mind it's a licensed based game that likely won't get too much love. I want to be wrong so bad.

I am keeping my expectations tapered for Jurassic World Survivor. Perfect World Entertainment largely seems to specialize in MMOs and MOBAs. They don't usually employ any action game developers.

That being said, now consider the timing on this...

http://www.perfectworld.com/news/10314173

Perfect World Entertainment Inc., a leading publisher of online games, and Turtle Rock Studios, an independent developer best known for its work on the critically acclaimed Left 4 Dead and Evolve, today announced their partnership and the development of a new triple-A game IP for PC and console. The top secret free to play first-person shooter features intense online co-operative action, bringing Turtle Rock back to what it does best.

Turtle Rock is currently looking to hire people with Action RPG and FPS experience, with job descriptions describing loot systems.

So... f2p Left 4 Dead with dinosaurs

I am keeping my expectations tapered for Jurassic World Survivor. Perfect World Entertainment largely seems to specialize in MMOs and MOBAs. They don't usually employ any action game developers.

That being said, now consider the timing on this...

http://www.perfectworld.com/news/10314173

Turtle Rock is currently looking to hire people with Action RPG and FPS experience, with job descriptions describing loot systems.

So... f2p Left 4 Dead with dinosaurs

Unless the game changed hands again, and switched from TPS to FPS, I don't think that's JWS. However it is a bit reassuring to see that they're branching out to different types of games of a larger scale.

Of course maybe it is ANOTHER jurassic title, and we're seeing an exclusive partnership like what Sega was doing with the Alien franchise a bit back.

So, I was doing some digging and I found out that nearly half the domains Perfect World currently has registered are Jurassic World Survivor related. So this game must be HUGE for them, and more of a typical AAA game, even if it is a F2P model.

'Survive the Island' is likely the games tagline.. I won't lie, I like it. It reminds me of before Jurassic Park 4 went into development hell for some reason.

But what I find most interesting is the 'We Make Your Future' domains... that's InGen's motto. So, whatever this game is, I expect it to have a InGen lore centric storyline.. and if they make a viral InGen website then I really do expect this title to be big for them and Universal.

ObkLVZl.jpg

(Seen in The Lost World)

maxcriden

Anyone play the JP game on Genesis? My wife got it for me, and I was very grateful of course for the gift, but she didn't know it would be violent and we both probably don't want to play a violent JP game if you attack the dinosaurs or something. I thought I'd heard something like that, though. Anyone remember what the game is like?

I finally found a reupped version of the JURASSIC WORLD SURVIVOR footage that leaked last year!

The animation in this game looks really promising.

Anyone play the JP game on Genesis? My wife got it for me, and I was very grateful of course for the gift, but she didn't know it would be violent and we both probably don't want to play a violent JP game if you attack the dinosaurs or something. I thought I'd heard something like that, though. Anyone remember what the game is like?

The platforming game? Lots of fun, but yeah, you shoot a lot of dinosaurs (though with Tranqs IIRC).

You play as Alan Grant or a Raptor. You can attack the dinosaurs as Alan with sleeping darts, tasers, and a few other weapons.
As a Raptor, you fight some mercs (probably InGen, but not specified in the manual). Remember to eat whenever you can as a Raptor, as your health will go down over time on its own.

Here's a picture I just took of the weapons and power up list for Alan Grant from the manual, in case you don't have one.

And since I'm here, might as well post this. I think it's all of the Jurassic Park stuff I have right now. I used to have a bunch of toys from the first movie, and VHS tapes of the first two movies, but I lost that all a long time ago. I never lost the games, though, thankfully.

Btw, for the music fans here.. the recording sessions from Jurassic World leaked. Not sure about linking them, as while they aren't something you can buy, it's still a grey area.

Anyhow, they sound fantastic. Lots of music not released on the soundtrack there, and there are plenty of bits not used in the film such as alternate takes.

Also yay, whoever did the leak or organized it or whatever put the contextual Jurassic World music (that actually plays there at the park) in order with the rest of the score.

While we wait for some official Jurassic World Survivor news, I made a boxart mockup for fun.

Now that I think of it, if this is F2P it may not even get cover art... though I heard buzz of a collectors edition so who the fuck knows right now, :lol

These on your site or elsewhere? I'd love to hear them.

I'll work on finding a way to share it tomorrow.

I think the release originated here, though. It may be worth asking around.

While we wait for some official Jurassic World Survivor news, I made a boxart mockup for fun.

Now that I think of it, if this is F2P it may not even get cover art... though I heard buzz of a collectors edition so who the fuck knows right now, :lol

I'll work on finding a way to share it tomorrow.

I think the release originated here, though. It may be worth asking around.
Thanks! I'm going to have to remember my old account info to sign in lol. Forgot about that place.

We need more gifs from the Jurassic World Survivor leaks - especially that Velociraptor one about 2 minutres in.

On another note, J.A. Bayona likes Ian Malcolm. I wonder if him returning is the 'larger connection to Jurassic Park'.

Thanks! I'm going to have to remember my old account info to sign in lol. Forgot about that place.

I never heard of it, but someone put me onto it to help people find a public file.

If they can bring characters back without it feeling forced, fine. My kind of returning character was Wu, he was implemented well.

But idk, maybe seeing Malcolm with Owen and Claire could be neat. I don't really need him but if they can make it work, whatever.

My thing about the characters is this: Malcolm was just an asshole invited for a rest run in the first movie. He's not really some key integral figure to the story. Then they shoehorned him into the second one because people liked him, and he was almost a different character and had zero growth.

With Jurassic World, it's different as the main characters are directly involved. They're not random people thrown into a bad situation. Therefore it makes sense for the next one, I think anyway, to have Claire, Owen, etc. return. But Malcolm? Having the nods to him through the book in JW was a fine touch but I think bringing him back might feel a little too much like them trying to pander to everyone that complained that he or whoever wasn't in the last one.

Again if they can write it to where it's organic and actually do something with him, great. He was a good character in the first one that was the counter to everything Hammond was doing, and that was his purpose-- which I felt has already been served. If they bring him back in the next one and it's TLW redux, I'm not going to be very happy about that, if he feels like he's there just because he was a good supporting character in the first movie.

I'm all about the series feeling like a cohesive whole, but I already felt like Jurassic World was integrated well into the overall story. There are direct themes carried over. I don't think you need Jeff Goldblum to achieve this.

Jawmuncher

My thing about the characters is this: Malcolm was just an asshole invited for a rest run in the first movie. He's not really some key integral figure to the story. Then they shoehorned him into the second one because people liked him, and he was almost a different character and had zero growth.

With Jurassic World, it's different as the main characters are directly involved. They're not random people thrown into a bad situation. Therefore it makes sense for the next one, I think anyway, to have Claire, Owen, etc. return. But Malcolm? Having the nods to him through the book in JW was a fine touch but I think bringing him back might feel a little too much like them trying to pander to everyone that complained that he or whoever wasn't in the last one.

Again if they can write it to where it's organic and actually do something with him, great. He was a good character in the first one that was the counter to everything Hammond was doing, and that was his purpose-- which I felt has already been served. If they bring him back in the next one and it's TLW redux, I'm not going to be very happy about that, if he feels like he's there just because he was a good supporting character in the first movie.

I'm all about the series feeling like a cohesive whole, but I already felt like Jurassic World was integrated well into the overall story. There are direct themes carried over. I don't think you need Jeff Goldblum to achieve this.

If anything I think it's just a case that at bare minimum, people wanna know where their favorite characters are. As an example, it would kinda be like if TFA had cut out all the older characters. It still would have been a fine movie, but I think a lot of people would be asking "But what is so & so doing?". I agree with you that they definitely shouldn't be forced. malcolm at least had a little bit of a reason to go in TLW, even if it wasn't perfect. Better than Alan who said "i'll never go" and then saw dollar signs. Which while a valid reason to get someone somewhere is rather lazy still.

So yeah I want returning characters, but I agree hopefully their inclusion would be incorporated well. Considering we know next to nothing about the next JW story, we'll just have to wait and see.

If anything I think it's just a case that at bare minimum, people wanna know where their favorite characters are. As an example, it would kinda be like if TFA had cut out all the older characters. It still would have been a fine movie, but I think a lot of people would be asking "But what is so & so doing?". I agree with you that they definitely shouldn't be forced. malcolm at least had a little bit of a reason to go in TLW, even if it wasn't perfect. Better than Alan who said "i'll never go" and then saw dollar signs. Which while a valid reason to get someone somewhere is rather lazy still.

In the case of TFA, it's part of an ongoing episodic series that is far more character-centric. So in that case it would have felt weird without them. Jurassic Park? There's not really been attention to character growth and its themes are greater than its characters. I literally do not need to know where Malcolm is lol. I imagine he's... being a human being or something :p

Jawmuncher

In the case of TFA, it's part of an ongoing episodic series that is far more character-centric. So in that case it would have felt weird without them. Jurassic Park? There's not really been attention to character growth and its themes are greater than its characters. I literally do not need to know where Malcolm is lol. I imagine he's... being a human being or something :p

I think that is where the disconnect is. For some people it's just about the dinosaurs. They are the main focus of course. But for a lot of others, the characters are still a big part of it.
You might not agree. But for me Ian & Malcolm are like those big faces in Star Wars.

I think that is where the disconnect is. For some people it's just about the dinosaurs. They are the main focus of course. But for a lot of others, the characters are still a big part of it.

I mean I grew up with the characters too but we already got a shitty sequel with Malcolm and Grant both. I'm saying that there's not really any character development because it's not a character centric franchise. The characters certainly matter in the films individually that they're in, but it's never been "oh I can't wait for Jurassic Park yadda to find out what happened to Alan Grant and Ian Malcolm!" I think that's about to change though what with this being a planned "trilogy." I don't think it's going to be squarely about Claire and Owen, but again they were directly involved with everything that went down. The original was standalone upon conception and was never meant to further explore any of the characters. And despite sequels, they still didn't really explore them lol

But, hey, maybe that's just me.

Top Bottom