• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jury awards $25M more to Hulk Hogan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis

Banned
Jurors in the Hulk Hogan sex tape case ignored a plea for mercy Monday and added another $25 million to the $115 million they already awarded ex-wrestler Hulk Hogan.
The jury deliberated nearly four hours before deciding on the punitive part of the case.
Hogan had sued Gawker, founder Nick Denton and former editor A.J. Daulerio for violating his privacy by posting a snippet of a sex tape.

"I feel great. I'm really happy about everything that's happened," Hogan said. "I think we made history today because I think we protected a lot of people from maybe going through what I went through. So we're very excited, very happy."

http://money.cnn.com/2016/03/21/media/hulk-hogan-gawker-punitive-hearing/index.html

160321115829-hulgan-gawker-outside-court-780x439.jpg

He said the verdict returned last week will be "financially devastating" to Denton, and could bring "financial ruin" to Daulerio. The $115 million awarded to Hogan "exceeds the value of the entire company by $30 million," Berry said.

jotun?

Average awards for wrongful death are in the $3-4 million range.

Hogan's privacy is apparently worth as much as 40 regular people's lives

marrec

Banned
I hope the people whose jobs will inevitably be lost from this decision will land on their feet.

The Jury made the right decision.

Wasn't the reason he was awarded so much because he basically had his entire brand ruined and was wiped from the existence of WWE?

23qwerty

Wasn't the reason he was awarded so much because he basically had his entire brand ruined and was wiped from the existence of WWE?

I find it hard to sympathize when the reason his brand was ruined was because of the racism, not the actual sex aspect of the sex tape.

Apt101

This is reductionary and a non-sequitur. His racism is irrelevant to the ruling.

Yea, this is like saying <insert latest black person shot by a cop> doesn't deserve justice because someone found a picture of them dressed like "a thug" once, or because they *gasp* smoked pot.

krae_man

Does the average defendant in a wrongful death suit have 80+ Million dollars?

In these types of cases, juries usually award not what is fair for the harm committed, but as much as they think the defendant can afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom