• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jury awards $25M more to Hulk Hogan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like Hogan, but Gawker deserves every shitty thing that happens to it.
This kind of thing was a long time coming and unavoidable.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
Yea, this is like saying <insert latest black person shot by a cop> doesn't deserve justice because someone found a picture of them dressed like "a thug" once, or because they *gasp* smoked pot.

Or hear me out Florida is literally the only state where a racist got 140 million for a leaked sex tape he made with his best friends wife...

Because it's only happened in Florida.

Hesh

So has Gawker explained how they're going to appeal despite the lack of funds?

Been wondering this as well. Gawker has been stating that the appeals court is already on their side, and some writers online have written pieces agreeing to this, but I'm not quite sure how they'll even get to the appeals process in the first place considering the daunting fees that beget them.

From what I understand they either have to post a $50 million bond to start the appeal process, or they can forgo the $50 million bond and begin the appeals process but they have to immediately begin paying Hogan right away and cannot defer the payment until after the appeals ruling.

Bert409

This reminds me of when he got that extra title victory for no reason at Wrestlemania IX.

tumblr_lkv9y7ueyd1qgudl3o1_500.jpg

Cipherr

Damn and he got pretty much cleaned out in his divorce didn't he? After losing WWE he was on his way to a pretty anemic retirement funds wise until Gawker fucked up and handed him 140 million LMAO.

Fucking crazy.

Oh so there is another state where a racist got 140 mil for having the sex tape he made with his best friends wife leaked?

Everybody who watched the trial said that Gawker put up a terrible defense and were absolutely fucked from the get-go. So, yeah, I tend to think Hogan would have won a shit-ton of money anywhere, although Florida is probably particularly friendly territory to him since he is from there and was a major part of the local economy in the area where he lived.

Hogan's a true, true asshole, even without the racist stuff, but Gawker is such a terrible network of websites that I'm glad to see it die. Fuck them.

Zeus Molecules

Average awards for wrongful death are in the $3-4 million range.

Hogan's privacy is apparently worth as much as 40 regular people's lives

Just to add to the absurdity a bunch of journalist and staff or out of newly unionized jobs because the world knows hogan is a racist and doesn't actually have a 10 inch Python.....

Breads

Banned
Taking aside the fact that I am glad Gawker is taking the hit....

... the amount awarded to The Hulkster is fucking ludicrous. I don't understand how it is justifiable to such an absurd degree. In what context is HALF this amount a sensible figure.

I don't even.

marrec

Banned
Just to add to the absurdity a bunch of journalist and staff or out of newly unionized jobs because the world knows hogan is a racist and doesn't actually have a 10 inch Python.....

Yes, Gawker's management fucked up and cost a lot of talented, hard-working people their jobs.

A sad situation.

Kountry

Banned
Only in Florida can a racist get 140 mil because he got his sex tape with his best friend's wife leaked.

Which ruined his career, thereby ending his income. His being a racist has no bearing on this case. Gawker fucked up just about every way they could in this entire ordeal, and deserve to suffer the humiliation of being crushed in such a manner.

I hope their financial ruin will serve as a very real warning to others.

Rival

Gold Member
Holy crap at the amount of money they awarded him. I'm not sure there's very much I wouldn't allow someone to film me doing for even 10% of that.

Herbs

Banned
Taking aside the fact that I am glad Gawker is taking the hit....

... the amount awarded to The Hulkster is fucking ludicrous. I don't understand how it is justifiable to such an absurd degree. In what context is HALF this amount a sensible figure.

I don't even.

"you didn't even" read anything on this? is that your "I don't even?" Otherwise you're just being obtuse as it's been explained that this applies to his future earnings as well. Seeing as his career was destroyed. The career and brand that had millions in potential earnings. Simple enough really, though I'm sure others will continue to stumble in and proclaim things without knowing what they're talking about so at least you won't be alone in your ignorance.

Bentendo

How is $140m justified exactly? I'm genuinely curious. It just seems excessive to bring an entire company to the ground because of this.

So how does the amount get awarded?

Meaning how did it get so high? Did Hulk Hogan as for a such a high amount going into the trial and they agreed?

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Kotaku Jalponik and Gizmodo are fucked are they?

If the writers have inherent substance to offer readers, there is nothing stopping them from starting up their own independent website or switching to a third party vendor model (Youtube, twitch, etc). Those writers work in industries that have the lowest barriers to entry that are humanly possible. If they can't hack it or make the numbers work, they have no one to blame but their own ineptitude.

HoodWinked

How is $140m justified exactly? I'm genuinely curious. It just seems excessive to bring an entire company to the ground because of this.

its based on earnings potential of the victim in this case hulk hogan which has been banned from the wwe because of it. its why tracy morgan also was awarded a huge sum of money.

Zeus Molecules

Everybody who watched the trial said that Gawker put up a terrible defense and were absolutely fucked from the get-go. So, yeah, I tend to think Hogan would have won a shit-ton of money anywhere, although Florida is probably particularly friendly territory to him since he is from there and was a major part of the local economy in the area where he lived.

Hogan's a true, true asshole, even without the racist stuff, but Gawker is such a terrible network of websites that I'm glad to see it die. Fuck them.

At least you admit it and I respect that.

The circumstances of this case is rediculous and probably came down to a hometown Florida handout. 140 million is bad comedy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom