• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jury awards $25M more to Hulk Hogan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElRenoRaven

You know the sad part. The whole unionization thing ends up being nothing now. They went through all that trouble only to have Gawker end up going kaput.

trembli0s

How is $140m justified exactly? I'm genuinely curious. It just seems excessive to bring an entire company to the ground because of this.

Usually the plaintiff produced evidence for the amount of damages sought for in the suit. Then the defense laughs and argues the amount is much less. Jury can kind of do whatever although the trial judge usually has some leeway to reduce if it's totally outrageous.

Daulerio sunk gawker

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...-for-publishing-sex-tapes-set-low-bar/2268587

Jury were repulsed by him so much, when they found out he was in debt and couldn't pay anything (they awarded personal damages from people at gawker too), they legit asked the judge if they could force him to do community service instead

Which is why personally I think that not even an appeal process will help them out. What he said in court was absolutely disgusting and weak.

realwords

Can't the judge decrease punitive damages if they're not in accordance with common law? Just because the jury says he should get this much doesn't mean he'll get this much... right?

Annubis

Can't the judge decrease punitive damages if they're not in accordance with common law? Just because the jury says he should get this much doesn't mean he'll get this much... right?

He won't get this much anyway because they could never gather this much money.

Breads

Banned
"you didn't even" read anything on this? is that your "I don't even?" Otherwise you're just being obtuse as it's been explained that this applies to his future earnings as well. Seeing as his career was destroyed. The career and brand that had millions in potential earnings. Simple enough really.

Their edit said:
"you didn't even" read anything on this? is that your "I don't even?" Otherwise you're just being obtuse as it's been explained that this applies to his future earnings as well. Seeing as his career was destroyed. The career and brand that had millions in potential earnings. Simple enough really, though I'm sure others will continue to stumble in and proclaim things without knowing what they're talking about so at least you won't be alone in your ignorance.

So it was proven that this was a relative figure based on his net worth and potential earnings? Because I didn't find anything that suggested he was worth anything near as much. To be so incredulous as to calling me obtuse then surely you would have an easier time than I had finding citations that justifies these figures so if you would be so kind I would like to see them because all I can find his the 2007 divorce in which he had to part ways with 70% of 30-40m, a current potential 25m net worth, and a verdict of 55m for the financial damages which is still well under the half I noted.

Unless you're just being a dishonest git in which case carry on.

:edit: Oh you edited to be even more of a shit. Good for you. Please post a response if you're okay.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Daulerio sunk gawker

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts...-for-publishing-sex-tapes-set-low-bar/2268587

Jury were repulsed by him so much, when they found out he was in debt and couldn't pay anything (they awarded personal damages from people at gawker too), they legit asked the judge if they could force him to do community service instead

Jesus.

Whether he was being flippant or serious, Daulerio's response was a gift for Bollea's attorneys, who are seeking to convince a jury that the celebrity wrestler's privacy was violated by journalists who cared only about increasing their page news. On Wednesday, they put Gawker's editorial ethics on trial, relying on the website editors' own words to show how far they had strayed from industry standards established by print publications.

Calling those ethical guidelines "irrelevant, even damaging, in the Internet era," Gawker founder and president Nick Denton said his site is "less sensitive to sensitivity than traditional newspapers."

"I believe in total freedom and information transparency," he said. "I'm an extremist when it comes to that."

Denton, who is also named in the lawsuit, said he did not review the video of Hogan or Daulerio's commentary before they were posted online in 2012, but he had no regrets about their publication. Asked if he had ever considered that the video might embarrass Bollea, he replied: "My job is to disseminate information. It's up to others to determine the boundaries of accepted social journalistic and legal norms."
Whether Hulk deserved the money or not, these assholes needed to go down regardless.

xRaizen

So it was proven that this was a relative figure based on his net worth and potential earnings? Because I didn't find anything that suggested he was worth anything near as much. To be so incredulous as to calling me obtuse then surely you would have an easier time than I had finding citations that justifies these figures so if you would be so kind I would like to see them because all I can find his the 2007 divorce in which he had to part ways with 70% of 30-40m, a current potential 25m net worth, and a verdict of 55m for the financial damages which is still well under the half I noted.

Unless you're just being a dishonest git in which case carry on.
Hulk was still making money off the Hulk Hogan brand, as in the character. The sex tape that was leaked led to his career being destroyed. He's no longer going to be featured in any WWE games, videos, merchandise, appearances, etc. he will never get any more income from that brand. That's why he's awarded so much.

MechaX

Damn and he got pretty much cleaned out in his divorce didn't he? After losing WWE he was on his way to a pretty anemic retirement funds wise until Gawker fucked up and handed him 140 million LMAO.

Fucking crazy.

If Gawker blows the appeal, Hogan isn't going to see anything close to the judgment amount once Gawker folds under bankruptcy.

Breads

Banned
Hulk was still making money off the Hulk Hogan brand, as in the character. The sex tape that was leaked led to his career being destroyed. He's no longer going to be featured in any WWE games, videos, merchandise, appearances, etc. he will never get any more income from that brand. That's why he's awarded so much.

Again: I hear that this is a reason why. What I am not seeing is proof that it was worth that much. Citations needed.

Again: I hear that this is a reason why. What I am not seeing is proof that it was worth that much. Citations needed.

Those types of documents are probably in the court papers. Not sure if they are open or not at this point.

And either way, if the judge feels it is excessive, the award can be reduced.

Dennis

Banned
I still don't understand how you fuck up that badly... it's so unbelievably stupid.

Daulerio appears to be the dumbest motherfucker on the planet.

In front of jury that is to judge if Gawker acted unethically he decided to state that he would post sex tapes of a child as long as the child was at least 5 years old.

There's the leg drop.

Can someone please shop gawker in here

giphy.gif

Carnby

Naw. Hogan will be back in the WWE one day.

SURGEdude

In front of jury that is to judge if Gawker acted unethically he decided to state that he would post sex tapes of a child as long as the child was at least 5 years old.

It just shows what an untouchable mofo he saw himself as. Not such a big man now is he?

Breads

Banned
Those types of documents are probably in the court papers. Not sure if they are open or not at this point.

And either way, if the judge feels it is excessive, the award can be reduced.

I assumed that and that's why I believe the 55m for stated financial damages is sound. 60m for emotional distress and 25m in punitive damages? Not so much.

Maybe it's just me and I'm the one being unreasonable.

He probably isn't worth that much. I don't even think he believed that he was worth $100 million as a brand but the way lawsuits work is that you set a high figure and get the defendants to settle for a lower sum. That's what Gawker was probably relying on and very likely Hogan as well.

Instead, the jury agreed with Hogan and on the deposition that AJ Daulerio gave just put the final nail in the coffin for Gawker.

It was the racist stuff he said that damaged the brand

Which never would have come out if Gawker hadn't spread the Video around. I think the "Pillow Talk" stuff was also published multiple times as separate articles. Gawker definitely contributed to his brand--which was arguably the largest of any Professional Wrestler--being devalued.

I assumed that and that's why I believe the 55m for stated financial damages is sound. 60m for emotional distress and 25m in punitive damages? Not so much.

Maybe it's just me and I'm the one being unreasonable.

We'll find out soon. But if anything, I would think the jury would have stuck to the practical losses in the original award, then went really ham on the punitive part. The punitive part being that Gawker was reckless and had no regard for any sort of integrity as proven by the initial act and subsequent statements.

Cipherr

Going to be fun when this gets heavily reduced or wiped out on the appeal. And yes, there will be an appeal

Yeah there will be, and they will lose it. They dont have a leg to stand on which is why they lost this so one sidedly the first time. I'm not sure what you all are basing an appeal win for them on exactly. They aren't appealing because they think the evidence isn't solid, they are appealing because they have no choice, there's a big ass difference. He wont get all 140 because they dont have it; but make no mistake he will get SOME because they do have some of it.

Gawker fucked up and rightfully lost the case. There is no scenario where this gets better for them.

Skeyser

Going to be fun when this gets heavily reduced or wiped out on the appeal. And yes, there will be an appeal

Why will it get heavily reduced, are you a lawyer or are you speaking out of your ass? And of course there will be an appeal when 140 million dollars are in play lol.

AkumaNiko

Yeah there will be, and they will lose it. They dont have a leg to stand on which is why they lost this so one sidedly the first time. I'm not sure what you all are basing an appeal win for them on exactly. They aren't appealing because they think the evidence isn't solid, they are appealing because they have no choice, there's a big ass difference. He wont get all 140 because they dont have it; but make no mistake he will get SOME because they do have some of it.

Gawker fucked up and rightfully lost the case. There is no scenario where this gets better for them.

not to mention in order for them to even appeal they have to come up with 50 million of the initial 115mil. Gawker dont have that

CDX

I still can't Daulerio actually said that.

It's no surprise no that the jury is really pissed off at him and the Gawker culture.

Appeals courts have all ruled in favour of Gawker in other parts of this case.

Hogan got the ruling he did because he sued in Florida thus giving him the home court advantage among the jury, it's also why Gawker lost so one sidesly.

Good for Hogan. Gawker was terrible for what they did, and I hope this puts them out of business.

Yeah, screw all those good decent people that work for their sister sites like kotaku, jalopnik, etc they can all lose their jobs right? I'm all for them getting theirs, but dude, really?

Skeyser

Yeah, screw all those good decent people that work for their sister sites like kotaku, jalopnik, etc they can all lose their jobs right? I'm all for them getting theirs, but dude, really?

That's what happens when you work for scumbags, if they're good they'll get picked up soon enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom