• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jury in Michael Slager (cop who shot a man in the back) trial has been selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enzom21

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/wa...nearly-all-white-jury-seated-trial-ex-n677116
Full story at the link.
CHARLESTON, S.C. — A nearly all-white jury was seated Wednesday for the murder trial of a white former South Carolina officer whose fatal shooting of a black man stunned the nation after it was recorded on a cellphone by a bystander.

A jury of six white men, five white women and one black man will hear the case of Michael Slager, charged with murder in the April 2015 shooting death of 50-year-old Walter Scott as he fled a traffic stop in North Charleston.

In the Slager trial, the defense struck nine potential jurors, including seven minorities.

The prosecution challenged whether the defense was using only race as a basis for disqualifying them. The challenge was dropped after the defense provided detailed reasons for its strikes.
I don't really have any confidence that we will see a conviction here.

marrec

Banned
The defense provided detailed reasons for its strikes.

Of course it did.

Just like every defense (or prosecution) that strikes black jurors just for being black.

All of y'all should listen to this episode of More Perfect:

http://www.wnyc.org/story/object-anyway/

In which they discuss the Batson Challenge and how jury selection in the US is fucked.

Ducarmel

We ate a lot of crow for that all white jury that found a cop guilty of raping multiple black women and got sentenced to like 200 something years in jail on his birthday.

Hopefully this jury delivers justice.

commedieu

Banned
We ate a lot of crow for that all white jury that found a cop guilty of raping multiple black women and got sentenced to like 200 something years in jail on his birthday.

Hopefully this jury delivers justice.

That was 1. There's been a zillion since to prove the rule.

Ri'Orius

"That linebacker-sized man was charging directly away from me, obviously so he could get a running start when he came back for me. I feared for my life."

Fergie

Banned
CE8uP1d.gif

Matter of time before he gets off of course. Despicable.

YoungFa

I dont know exactly how jury selection works. But the proscecutors look really amateurish, couldn't they just also have striked down all (or at least more of) the white jurors for some reason or the other, as long as it is not related to race. If the defence the lawyer could do it, why couldn't they?

The Kree

Banned
I dont know exactly how jury selection works. But the proscecutors look really amateurish, couldn't they just also have striked down all (or at least more of) the white jurors for some reason or the other, as long as it is not related to race. If the defence the lawyer could do it, why couldn't they?
Prosecutors don't give a shit about black people either.

marrec

Banned
It's a numbers game, statistically the jury pool will have less black people and the prosecution and defense only have some many jurors they can strike without challenge (not counting a Batson Challenge) so while the prosecution could strike a bunch of white jurors they couldn't strike all of them like the defense can (in this specific case).

Also, attorneys gotta save their strikes for jurors they think will be biased. In this case the defense has pretty good statistics showing that the more white people they can get on the jury the higher the chances their White defendant gets off.

old

I'm very comfortable in calling anyone a racist who does not see murder in that video. It's so clearly murder only a racist could twist it into something else. Clearly there are racists on the all white jury.

Perhaps it's time for new victim's rights laws regarding juries. Maybe victims of violent crimes and police shootings should have the right to have their race represented on the jury of their killer. And perhaps we should drop the unanimous requirement when there is clear video evidence.

So either it is over what he is guilty of or there is 1 or more holdouts who refuse to convict.

EDIT - Although if is the former than they should have a consensus on something.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Oh man, I remember that. One of the most disgusting things I've seen in my life. Wasn't he also trying to set the dead guy up with a gun, and that too was caught on a video?

What in the fucking world?! Who on that jury thinks what that man did was justified?!......Jesus this country is something.

This should be an open and shut case...

Don't make me have to carry my black ass to North Charelston to protest this..

Enzom21

Slager held back tears several times while on the stand Tuesday, including as he spoke of not being able to attend the birth of his first child — who he and his wife had struggled through two rounds of in vitro fertilization to conceive — because he was in jail awaiting trial.

Jail was torturous, he said. Slager was housed in a cellblock next to accused Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof, who is charged in the deaths of nine black parishioners.

"I can't sleep. Nightmares. When I was in jail, the only thing they wanted to do was give me medicine," Slager testified. "I remember the doctor who was in charge of mental health came into my cell and said, 'I'll give you whatever medicine you want.' It was a roller coaster."
violin-steve-buscemi.gif

Gee, I wonder who the one holdout is...

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Jail was torturous, he said. Slager was housed in a cellblock next to accused Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof, who is charged in the deaths of nine black parishioners.
Bet they had a lot to talk about.

WetWaffle

Realistically speaking, what'll happen if the one juror refuses to back down, could he be forced? Would the case go on indefinitely or will it be dropped?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom