• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jury in Michael Slager (cop who shot a man in the back) trial has been selected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timeless

Yup.

I honestly think we need a new radical militarized black movement.
We'd finally get gun control if that happened. Maybe the racists in the majority of state capitols can twist the law to only remove gun rights from black people.

Wait, how are the fucks in South Carolina or wherever, that specifically commissioned data on black voting data and then wrote laws to target black people, still in office and not in jail?

It's probably time for a thread title change.

What do Blacks in the armed forces even think to themselves on a day like this?

We can guess what Micah Johnson said to himself and extrapolate from there. But lets keep assuming people are gonna put up with this bullshit forever instead.

Yup. If you look at the support veterans have given to Kappernick, and the mustering of veterans in support of Standing Rock, it seems like there is a strong segment of the military that does not like the police.

Yup.

I honestly think we need a new radical militarized black movement.

I think black people in general are scared of stepping out of line. That's a stereotype, but it's something that our society tries very hard to enforce. That's why black veterans, who are trained to suppress their fear, are so important.

We ate a lot of crow for that all white jury that found a cop guilty of raping multiple black women and got sentenced to like 200 something years in jail on his birthday.

Hopefully this jury delivers justice.

People easily forget positive outcomes.

Also hope justice is served, this case has been terrible.

Edit: wow, wrong fucking trial. How many times are black people going to be shot in the back?

Ah, yes, that one.

And the jury didn't deliver.

I realised immediately after posting, yeah.

Squalor

Did he have to scream, "Die, nigger!" for there to be malicious intent? Stealing his life and lying about it wasn't enough? I bet a similar concession wouldn't be made if the victim was close to him, but can't spare that empathy for a stranger.
Doesn't even need to be close to him. He just needs to not be a minority.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
We'd finally get gun control if that happened. Maybe the racists in the majority of state capitols can twist the law to only remove gun rights from black people.

Wait, how are the fucks in South Carolina or wherever, that specifically commissioned data on black voting data and then wrote laws to target black people, still in office and not in jail?
Gun laws will never take guns away from white people in this country. If militarized minorities start making public displays, the only laws passed will bar people "in gangs," "terrorist organizations," or who are "at risk of joining" such groups from getting guns. White people will still have guns, everyone else will have to face insurmountable hurtles to even try to get them before being denied.

Ri'Orius

http://m.greensboro.com/ap/us_world...01b-abc3-57ef-8303-dbfd28d00540.html?mode=jqm

The jury foreman who went on The View(Not the holdout). He said he didn't see malicious intent. Apparently he had a charge dropped.

At one point, a juror told the judge he couldn't "in good conscience" convict Slager. Montgomery says that doesn't mean the other 11 jurors thought the officer was guilty. He says five of them weren't decided.

So half the jury said guilty (to manslaughter), the other half was undecided or against?

But surely the next trial will do better, right?

Chumley

Banned
Is the reason there aren't massive insane protests yet because the retrial is happening soon? If this guy is legit let off this is the biggest miscarriage of justice in years, bigger than Trayvon Martin and Ferguson.

Gun laws will never take guns away from white people in this country. If militarized minorities start making public displays, the only laws passed will bar people "in gangs," "terrorist organizations," or who are "at risk of joining" such groups from getting guns. White people will still have guns, everyone else will have to face insurmountable hurtles to even try to get them before being denied.

This is absolutely how it will go down. Liberals will never get the gun control that they want, but minorities will suffer.

andthebeatgoeson

http://m.greensboro.com/ap/us_world...01b-abc3-57ef-8303-dbfd28d00540.html?mode=jqm

The jury foreman who went on The View(Not the holdout). He said he didn't see malicious intent. Apparently he had a charge dropped.
How is this possible? Isn't that bribery? We know cops stick together, attorneys will fight for cops.

How do you let a guy on the jury with an active investigation against himself? Then they drop the charge? Coincidentally, during the trial. Some 1930's gangster movie shit. Did he wake up with a pig head in his bed?

These gang members do not care.

andthebeatgoeson

This guy is fucking unbelievable. Jesus fucking christ.

Every single thing he's saying as a fucking "defense" is absolutely irrelevant nonsense.
He was paid off. They dropped his charge.

The defense lawyer kept him on the jury. That's when more suspect. People deny systemic racism.

We have a black foreman with a felony charge. His charge is dropped 3 weeks ago, during the trial. How is that not a conflict of interest? Is this America for now on? Easy to spot conflicts of interest, flaunted in our faces? I know this has been going on but i feel like we will see crack heads on juries, alcoholics and 'like minded' individuals helping them out. We know people will Stan for their fav interest. You don't even need the cop to do the dirty work. The DA or anyone else will gladly do it for them.

I'm really frustrated with this. We want justice and a fair shake and they'll do near anything to stack the deck. Is that defense attorney incompetent or was so desperate to get a black face onto the jury?

Glix

This already happend decades ago with the Black Panthers

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Is the reason there aren't massive insane protests yet because the retrial is happening soon? If this guy is legit let off this is the biggest miscarriage of justice in years, bigger than Trayvon Martin and Ferguson.

I can't see there being a protest about this. If the prosecution is putting up an honest effort and the trial seems fair, the only people you can protest over are the jurors who don't deliver a guilty verdict.

Seems like the protest would basically be over racism itself rather than the Powers That Be.

I can't see there being a protest about this. If the prosecution is putting up an honest effort and the trial seems fair, the only people you can protest over are the jurors who don't deliver a guilty verdict.

Seems like the protest would basically be over racism itself rather than the Powers That Be.

It ain't like the LA riots didn't happen because all the police officers were found not guilty by an all White jury in the Rodney King trial or anything.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
It ain't like the LA riots didn't happen because all the police officers were found not guilty by an all White jury in the Rodney King trial or anything.

Good call. Wonder if we're near another boiling point of that level, or if the System has discovered that so long as cops are "tried" they can avoid protests and the eventual opportunistic rioting.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

I think so. This case is a prime example on just how protected the police are in this country.

Socivol

Pleading guilty to what, though? It sounds like there's a plea deal in place. The cynic in me is inclined to think that he's pleading guilty to a lesser offense in exchange for having the murder charge dropped.

He's pleading guilty to the federal violation of Constitutional Rights charges according to the article.

Averon

The fact that he could not get convicted at trial when there's clear video of him shooting the man in the back is a fucking travesty and indictment on how fucked the criminal justice system is in this country.

cameron

A little bit more info. NBC News: "Michael Slager, Ex-Cop Who Shot Walter Scott, to Plead Guilty in Civil Rights Case"
A white former South Carolina police officer will plead guilty Tuesday in a federal civil rights case over the fatal shooting of unarmed black motorist Walter Scott, two attorneys close to the case told NBC News.

The state of South Carolina, meanwhile, will drop a pending murder charge against Michael Slager, who was fired after cellphone footage of Scott's killing went viral. Slager's first murder trial ended last December in a hung jury.
After the mistrial in December, state prosecutors in South Carolina said they would seek to try Michael Slager again, but no charges had yet been filed.

That means that if this plea goes as proposed, Slager's guilty plea on the remaining federal charges would be the end of all the criminal cases, and the state would not seek to try him again.

Edit. AP:
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) — A white former South Carolina police officer planned to plead guilty Tuesday to violating the civil rights of an unarmed black motorist he shot and killed as the man ran from a 2015 traffic stop, according to a copy of the plea agreement obtained by The Associated Press.

The 13-page document also notes that as part of the deal, state prosecutors would drop a pending murder charge against Michael Slager, effectively bringing to a close both parallel cases against the former North Charleston police officer.
Slager could face a possible life sentence, as well as $250,000 in fines, when he's sentenced by a federal judge. That hearing will likely come after federal officials spend several weeks preparing a presentencing report.

In the agreement, federal prosecutors agreed to recommend Slager receive a reduction in his possible offense level, meaning he would get less than the maximum sentence.

I guess the feds had a stronger case to make with their laws instead of the state's. In that case, I can see why he took a plea.

Don't feel sorry for him one bit

F34R

He plead guilty to Deprivation of Rights Under the Color of Law.. that carries up to life in prison.

It's Title 18 US Code 242. Basically he plead guilty to this, got the state charges and other federal charges dismissed. This carries up to life, and can have a death sentence. I'm sure the plea deal takes that off the table.

F34R

Yeah, if you go by the letter of the code.. you can get ANY time up to life in prison, or death. What I posted above starts at the mandatory cutoff for the circumstances below what happened in this case.

So, technically, the way it's worded, he can get only a fine, and no time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom