• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just dropped Sprint for T-Mobile... some thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speed test on Sprint. Full bars 4G LTE: 0.89 Mbps down.

Speed test in the exact same location on T-Mobile. 3 Bars 4G LTE: 35Mbps down.

I've run around 10 speedtests so far. Ran into an area without LTE coverage but curiously, instead of switching to 3G it switched to 4G (not LTE). The slowest speeds I've managed to pull down thus far have been 2 Mbps. That was 0-1 bars in my bathroom on 4G. Where even my wi-fi has trouble penetrating. Outside of that, 10Mbps in my house which I couldn't get a signal at all on Sprint. 20Mbps upstairs. 30Mbps outdoors.

Best decision I ever made. Fuck Sprint. Seriously, fuck them. I haven't been able to make calls in my town (not house: town) for three fucking months with no end in sight (3-6 months was their estimate. They said a month a while back. That was three months ago). I managed to get out of my contract by consulting the BBB. Thankfully I didn't have to go so far as to have T-Mobile pay my ETF.

It was a tough choice between the Galaxy Note 3 and the Xperia Z1. I got them to unbox a Z1 in front of me. Ultimately I chose to go with the Note 3 because of the Z1's meh viewing angles, non-user replaceable battery, and the fact that the bootloader is apparently locked down tight.. It's a shame because the Z1 is a one sexy ass phone. I can forgive no user replaceable battery but I can't forgive the viewing angles AND locked bootloader.

WiFi calling is very nice. I don't know why other carriers don't do this. I can't get a signal in any building on my University campus. Most everyone I know has the same problem regardless of carrier. At least now I'll be able to use my phone to make phone calls. The free tethering is great too. I'd just root the phone to tether otherwise. It's nice to be given these features for free. It makes you feel like your business is at least somewhat appreciated.

Long story short: fuck Sprint.

Lkr

like all carriers it depends where you live. sprint is cheaper than tmo, at&t, and verizon where i live and gets better coverage than all except verizon

I'll be excited for the day I can get off of Sprint. Unfortunately, Verizon is the only other viable option in my area currently, and they're just way too expensive.

When I get can 4G with Sprint, I get decent download speeds (~10mbs) but that's just so uncommon. After a horrible runaround with customer service, they finally just sent me one of their Airaves so I could get calls in my brick apartment.

I wish T-Mobile had a presence here.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I will be doing this soon too.
like all carriers it depends where you live. sprint is cheaper than tmo, at&t, and verizon where i live and gets better coverage than all except verizon
Are plans not nationwide. I know tmo is about equal or better than sprint when i did comparison online.

I'm paying exactly the same amount on T-Mobile as I was on Sprint. And on T-Mobile I have to pay for my phone....

CronoShot

I did the same thing a few days ago (Note 3 and all), but coming from AT&T. The coverage and data speeds on AT&T were actually really good, but I could get an unlimited LTE plan on T-Mobile for far cheaper than I was paying for 3GB on AT&T.

I'm honestly a bit disappointed in the coverage. I got a great LTE signal at my house with AT&T, but I only get 1 bar with T-Mobile, and it constantly shuffles between that and HSPA+. Even with full bars, the speed is noticeably slower.

Still, it's not bad. I actually get a better signal at work than I did before, and I like the way T-Mobile is doing business.

Before T-Mobile had LTE or 4G in my town, I was still often pulling faster data than my wife's "4G" Sprint phone. Then the phone started acting possessed and their customer service pretty much treated me and her to a figurative kick in the balls.

That was the excuse she needed to switch to T-Mobile and she's been pretty happy ever since.

Personally from what I've observed, T-Mobile's network isn't as good as Verizon or AT&T in smaller towns or out in the sticks, but if you're like me where 95% of your time is in the big city, the monthly payment discount you get with T-Mobile is worth the lower bars in the sticks.

Due to rumors that Sprint might buy T-Mobile, we might actually switch to Verizon though. Depends if it goes through.

Jigolo

And tmo very recently bought some LTE spectrum from Verizon. T-Mobile is making all the right moves.

It's only going to get better from here

Speed test on Sprint. Full bars 4G LTE: 0.89 Mbps down.

Speed test in the exact same location on T-Mobile. 3 Bars 4G LTE: 35Mbps down.

I've run around 10 speedtests so far. Ran into an area without LTE coverage but curiously, instead of switching to 3G it switched to 4G (not LTE). The slowest speeds I've managed to pull down thus far have been 2 Mbps. That was 0-1 bars in my bathroom on 4G. Where even my wi-fi has trouble penetrating. Outside of that, 10Mbps in my house which I couldn't get a signal at all on Sprint. 20Mbps upstairs. 30Mbps outdoors.

Best decision I ever made. Fuck Sprint. Seriously, fuck them. I haven't been able to make calls in my town (not house: town) for three fucking months with no end in sight (3-6 months was their estimate. They said a month a while back. That was three months ago). I managed to get out of my contract by consulting the BBB. Thankfully I didn't have to go so far as to have T-Mobile pay my ETF.

It was a tough choice between the Galaxy Note 3 and the Xperia Z1. I got them to unbox a Z1 in front of me. Ultimately I chose to go with the Note 3 because of the Z1's meh viewing angles, non-user replaceable battery, and the fact that the bootloader is apparently locked down tight.. It's a shame because the Z1 is a one sexy ass phone. I can forgive no user replaceable battery but I can't forgive the viewing angles AND locked bootloader.

WiFi calling is very nice. I don't know why other carriers don't do this. I can't get a signal in any building on my University campus. Most everyone I know has the same problem regardless of carrier. At least now I'll be able to use my phone to make phone calls. The free tethering is great too. I'd just root the phone to tether otherwise. It's nice to be given these features for free. It makes you feel like your business is at least somewhat appreciated.

Long story short: fuck Sprint.

Moving from Sprint to T-Mobile was a smart move. I did it back in July and it feels fucking good to be able to use a smartphone as a smartphone. Fuck Sprint and their promises. In a fucking LTE area I was getting like 3-5mbps on Sprint(started off like 20mbps a second and quickly lowered over 6 months when I guess people started getting LTE phones) and like 200kbps on 3G. Now I get 30-35mbps down on LTE and 5-10mbps down on 3G. Then they always promise things will get better soon. Fuck off Sprint. I heard that shit for 8 years all the way up until I left.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I had Sprint. Worst 2 years of my life. Awful service, and awful speeds. I'm never going to consider them again. I'm happy with Tmo and the speeds I get on HSPA+ are awesome. I don't have an LTE phone yet, but that's to come soon!

Dropped Verizon for T-Mobile's $30/mo no-contract plan. Best decision ever. Slightly worse coverage, better speeds, a significantly cheaper bill. If Sprint buys T-Mobile I'll just kill myself.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I really want to drive around town and test out all providers.

I'm with At&t right now. Grandfathered unlimited and good iPhone 4S coverage.

Dali

I'm seriously eyeing this deal. Sprint is the absolute worst in my area. No way Tmob can be worse looking at the coverage map. Way I see it is worse case it'll be equally crap as Sprint only I wont be bogged down by a contract anymore. Sprint was fine in the city I used to live in, but where I am currently I may as well have a flip phone because using the internet ain't happenin' unless I'm on wifi and getting/recieving txts/phone calls when I'm at home is a fucking crapshoot.

Wads

Banned
Even if sprint buys T-Mobile you shouldn't switch until the deal goes through. After nixing the deal with att, I would be really surprised if they let a sprint/tmo deal go through.

Laieon

I've had Sprint for years, used to have AT&T. Sprint's great in my area, no complaints whatsoever. Great customer service too.

Well . . . I just dropped my Sprint phone and it is dead.

I'm tempted to make the switch because my reception sucks.

Does T-Mobile have a buy-out deal?

tokkun

T-Mobile has some nice policies, like free international data. I thought about switching, but my Sprint plan is cheaper than T-Mobile, and that is not even counting the phone subsidy.

Works good in LA now with the Sprint Spark network. Starting to get LTE in Santa Monica. 32 down, 10 up around Staples Center. YMMV depending on where you live

Moving from Sprint to T-Mobile was a smart move. I did it back in July and it feels fucking good to be able to use a smartphone as a smartphone. Fuck Sprint and their promises. In a fucking LTE area I was getting like 3-5mbps on Sprint(started off like 20mbps a second and quickly lowered over 6 months when I guess people started getting LTE phones) and like 200kbps on 3G. Now I get 30-35mbps down on LTE and 5-10mbps down on 3G. Then they always promise things will get better soon. Fuck off Sprint. I heard that shit for 8 years all the way up until I left.

You're in the DFW area right? (Remember the avatar from the Thread about the teacher that posed nude) how much is your monthly bill? What kind of plans do they have? Been thinking about switching from sprint to t-mobile.

FLEABttn

Banned
Sprint's the worst. The last 2 years of service I had with them were really based on promises they frankly couldn't keep. Their 4G roll-out in my city is already monnths behind and might not even happen this year. I switched to T-Mobile a few months back and I actually 1) have service in my house and 2) have internet on my phone 72 times faster than what I was getting with Sprint.

Maybe Sprint gets their act together eventually, but they need to learn what CAPEX is first. T-Mo is the place to be right now.

You're in the DFW area right? (Remember the avatar from the Thread about the teacher that posed nude) how much is your monthly bill? What kind of plans do they have? Been thinking about switching from sprint to t-mobile.

Yeah, I pay under $70 a month for unlimited calls, data, texting, and 2.5gb of free wifi hotspot per month after taxes and fees. I do have an employee discount that saves me a little though(can probably find codes online to use discounts like this). Also I'm not on contract and I bought my phone outright to use on the network. If you want the Jump plan which is basically free insurance on the phone plus you get to upgrade your phone every 6 months for no extra cost that will be an extra $10 a month. Then if you don't buy the phone outright they will split the cost of the phone out over 24 months, which is usually $10-$20 a month depending on how high end you want to go. http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/individual.html#lshop_plans_1 will probably give you a better idea of plans. Honestly moving from Sprint was great for me(fast internet and no more getting text messages 3 hours later or calls going straight to voicemail).

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Yeah... you should have talked to me 11 years ago.... I would have told you how terrible Sprint is.

Yeah, I pay under $70 a month for unlimited calls, data, texting, and 2.5gb of free wifi hotspot per month after taxes and fees. I do have an employee discount that saves me a little though(can probably find codes online to use discounts like this). Also I'm not on contract and I bought my phone outright to use on the network. If you want the Jump plan which is basically free insurance on the phone plus you get to upgrade your phone every 6 months for no extra cost that will be an extra $10 a month. Then if you don't buy the phone outright they will split the cost of the phone out over 24 months, which is usually $10-$20 a month depending on how high end you want to go. http://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-plans/individual.html#lshop_plans_1 will probably give you a better idea of plans. Honestly moving from Sprint was great for me(fast internet and no more getting text messages 3 hours later or calls going straight to voicemail).

Awesome, going to look into for sure. Thanks for the info!

J-Rod

I was with Sprint for 4 years and just left only 3 months ago in November. I hated to give up that unlimited and it is cheaper than my current plan, but I decided there was no point because the speed was so slow. I hear they are making big upgrades, but 4 years is enough. It seems like a lot people mention customer service as being bad, but mine was always great in store and on the phone.

Jhoan

I've had Sprint for years, used to have AT&T. Sprint's great in my area, no complaints whatsoever. Great customer service too.

Same here except that I've been on Sprint forever and the service is good in my city for the most part. I switched to their Boost Mobile prepaid carrier and love it despite having a crappy smart phone. $35 a month for unlimited talk,text, and 3G is damn good. Don't think I'll switch to another prepaid service unless I were to move to another state.

From late 2012 - mid 2013, my Sprint service was pretty damn bad. Calls would drop repeatedly, data speed was terrible, and the reception went in and out. However, somehow after 5S came out, my service got way better. I'm able to keep LTE in most places, my calls rarely drop and the reception is great. This is in the suburbs of Chicago.

If I were to switch, it most definitely would be to T-Mobile (screw AT&T and Verizon, those greedy and money hungry companies). Their prices are competitive with Sprint and I really like what John Legere is doing for the most part.

rrs

T-Mobile doesn't have (good) coverage where I go so I'm going to be with Virgin Mobile for the future.

And yes, Sprint's 3G is piss slow (1 Mbps peak) and LTE nowhere.

Mudkips

Banned
I just dropped AT&T for the $30 prepaid T-Mobile plan.
Is there any way to set up Google Voice as my voice mail?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I tried to switch to T-Mobile but it didn't have any service where my parents live (rural CT.) =/

Shame because I'd love to switch to that $30/5 GB LTE plan, such a steal. Still right now I'm on Straight Talk for $45 / 2.5 GB LTE, which isn't too bad and I get coverage absolutely everywhere since it's an AT&T MVNO.

LosDaddie

Banned
*shrug*

Sprint works fine for me here in Orlando. But I'm in a wifi zone (at the office or at home) about 90% of the time anyway.

mr stroke

I had Sprint for 7 years and they were great except for the coverage. Their 4G was a joke, and good luck ever trying to stream anything on their network. Moved to ATT year ago and couldn't be happier, super fast.

Zee-Row

Banned
I'm on Sprint right now and i'm not happy with their coverage or speeds. I barely notice the difference between 4G and 3G. Also I go to Homestead , Fl all the time to see family and I get no bars at all anywhere in that area or no internet. Its like they have no towers over there.

way more

Where the fuck do you live? Your bitch story has no relevance unless you say where you are. Even then it's still just the same shit you could hear from any other person with any other service.

Arken2121

I was also looking at T-Mobile. Been with Sprint for about 3 years, terrible coverage. I am looking at T-Mobiles Unlimited data plan, anyone here have any good experiences with it?

Dude . . . you need a new phone. Trust me on this one.

I visited there last spring, got LTE on my old evo lte in the city, 3g was usable in the suburbs. I even got some 4g in the Mall of America.

I'm quite certain I had damn good coverage there compared to where I live.

Hmmm, I think part of it must just be my apartment building and the building I work in. But this is odd, by comparison.

AMUSIX

I was also looking at T-Mobile. Been with Sprint for about 3 years, terrible coverage. I am looking at T-Mobiles Unlimited data plan, anyone here have any good experiences with it?

I use T-Mo's unlimited data plan, love it...especially love that it applies overseas, too. No more of that astronomical charge if I want to use data in Canada or Germany or anywhere else.

3-6 months? Jesus Christ...

What the hell is the reason for that much of a delay?

beanoboy7

I've been with Sprint since 2011 (iPhone 4S) launch and using my phone in CT has been pretty frustrating as my 3G data speeds have been horrendous with 2000+ ping times and speeds too slow to stream Pandora.

However with Sprints Network Vision plan great things are on the horizon as network upgrades for all 38,000+ towers will be completed this summer. That means fiber optic to the towers instead of the ancient T-1 lines they have. LTE and better 3G!

Network Vision launched in New haven, Ct and it's been awesome. I get 2.00Mbs (3G) per second easily and my wife gets 12Mbps with one bar over LTE

Things are improving. Just slowly...

So my wife and I decided earlier this week we'd be switching from Sprint to T-Mobile today since we'd save some money and be off contract and T-Mobile would pay our ETFs. It turns out Jan 18 is the first day of our Sprint billing cycle, and it looks like they don't prorate, so we're going to wait one more month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom