• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just dropped Sprint for T-Mobile... some thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knoxcore

I have AT&T, switched from T-Mobile a few years ago to get an iPhone (I've since abandoned iOS for Android). My aunt has Sprint and I think she is ready to switch. I recommended T-Mobile because of the deal they are running to pay for your ETF (and because of cost differences). I believe she only has a few months left but she is very unsatisfied with Sprint. Frankly, I've always seen mixed reviews for Sprint.

beanoboy7

I have to give Sprint some credit. While their 3G data speeds are poor in areas where Netwirk Vision isn't complete. Their voice coverage is outstanding and I haven't experienced any drops like I did with ATT.

BTW, free roaming on Verizon!

bigosc2k

Banned
Yesterday help me decide of doing the switch from Sprint to tmobile, was at house party and tried to called for a taxi and I had no reception outside the apartment complex and inside, lucky for me my friend had a land line. Pretty fucking ridiculous that Sprint has no coverage in the city.

Been on Sprint for the last decade. I hate them and their crap service. I'm only trapped because I'm on a plan that no longer exists and would be extremely expensive to try and replicate. But what's the use of unlimited data if it's slow as molasses?

Hoping to make the jump to T-Mobile soon.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Dropped Verizon for T-Mobile's $30/mo no-contract plan. Best decision ever. Slightly worse coverage, better speeds, a significantly cheaper bill. If Sprint buys T-Mobile I'll just kill myself.

Same here

----
But Where I live Sprint is a godsend when hurricanes come:
B4QDRiy.jpg

Prologue

Doesn't the CEO of Sprint work/live in NYC? Wonder if he has a sprint phone because my 3g speeds are horrendous. Uncle bought a 5c and his LTE speeds were +10mb so that was nice to see. But from the posts here, looks like T-moible is a lot faster.

I have Sprint. Signed up with them a few months ago. They alright here (NY) but, sometimes, it's silly how I can have full service and can't load a Twitter feed.

thefit

Getting ready to do this myself Sprint seems to have just given up and erected like 1 4G tower in the city I live in.

I moved from Sprint to T-Mobile but not because I hated them. Despite everything, sprint was the only one that upheld their morals and they deserve credit for that. When Verizon, AT&T and EVEN t-mobile went with the tiered data plans and overage charge fees and all the ridiculous high priced plans, sprint was the only one that kept it simple. I don't think they deserve THAT much hate that they usually get. They treated me right for years and I will always love them for all the service that they stood behind regardless of slow speeds and everything. They never turned their backs on their customers to compete... However, it's sad that they weren't able to choice correct business choices from way back that crippled what they could of been. It's even more sad that T-Mobile is changing US telecommunications more than Sprint can imagine and by the end of this year, they will see themselves as the number 4th carrier in America.

But as for t-mobile, I LOVE it. Love what the company stands for, what they are doing, love that the CEO loathes AT&T the way I do and will stick it to them with every chance they get, and I'm happy to be working for them and apart of the team. It's been good Sprint but you're really dated now and an endangered company made a huge comeback that you should have done first.

Speed test on Sprint. Full bars 4G LTE: 0.89 Mbps down.

Speed test in the exact same location on T-Mobile. 3 Bars 4G LTE: 35Mbps down.

FYI:

The bars on your phone are for voice reception, which is independent of lte reception.

You can have your phone show five bars, and lte, but only have one bar of 4g.

With older Sprint phones, they'd have two bars, one for voice, one for data.

I don't understand why they removed that feature.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
I called ATT about my bill... like 95 bucks a month for unlimited everything.

Said I was going to check out what Tmobile was talking about and they changed my bill to 62 dollars.

I will stay with them a little longer on my iPhone 4s

Splinter

I want to do the switch, but I impulsively fell for the AT&T "Next" shit when I got my last phone, which is way out of character for me so it pains me to even think about it. I don't think the T Mobile buy out deal works with it, plus I've never seen a single T Mobile store around here, and non of my friends have it so I'm not sure about the coverage..

Anyone know how the contract buy out deals with "next"-like programs?

McLovin

Sprint's unlimited data is like going to an all you can eat buffet, but when you go up for some food all they have is piles of shit. Customer service was great though, but holy shit was the network shit. And they had this aggressive pre-installed program that constantly turned on my wifi even while driving. It would disrupt my connection and I could never stream music because of it. They finally started rolling out 4g last year, but many times it would connect to 4g but not work. Kind of like when you connect to a wifi network that shows you connected, but requires a password from the browser. The phone was barely usable when the wifi wasn't connected.
I have Sprint and never have problems unless I'm up by the Canadian border.

I really like it. Especially because I have unlimited data.
wtzgU.gif
I'm pretty sure t-mobile is unlimited too. But I think they just drop you to 3g after a limit is reached. That said for me the 3g is at least usable, all I could use my sprint phone for was surfing the web.

I'm pretty sure t-mobile is unlimited too. But I think they just drop you to 3g after a limit is reached. That said for me the 3g is at least usable, all I could use my sprint phone for was surfing the web.

We also have truly unl on lte with no slowdowns. $10 more than 2.5gb.

I've been using Tmobile forever, so the moves they are making are encouraging, though it is a bit bizarre to see them getting credit like this.

A week later. Some updated impressions.

Regarding the service. It's awesome. I still don't get coverage in nearly every building on campus except for in one room/class. WiFi calling makes it almost a moot point. Funny thing is, I got service on Sprint in the same room. Difference is now, instead of getting <1Mbps speeds on Sprint, I get ~20Mbps on T-Mobile.

If I had to put it into percentages. I'd say I'm covered by a good LTE signal about 90% of the time. HSPA+ (with speeds ~10Mbps) for about 9%. No coverage whatsoever for the remaining 1%. A small 2 mile or so stretch of highway and in my campus buildings.

In my living room where I'd gotten no service before at all on Sprint I pull down excellent LTE speeds (15-20Mbps). Upstairs I get in excess of 30Mbps. It seems my signal when entering structures is MUCH better than it was on Sprint. Big stores which were normally steel traps for data I either have LTE or HSPA+ if I venture into a particularly dark corner.

Oddly enough, I haven't seen the phone ever drop below HSPA+ into just regular 3G. If it does drop out it goes from 4G HSPA+ to nothing. Very seldom does this happen though.

I moved from Sprint to T-Mobile but not because I hated them. Despite everything, sprint was the only one that upheld their morals and they deserve credit for that. When Verizon, AT&T and EVEN t-mobile went with the tiered data plans and overage charge fees and all the ridiculous high priced plans, sprint was the only one that kept it simple. I don't think they deserve THAT much hate that they usually get. They treated me right for years and I will always love them for all the service that they stood behind regardless of slow speeds and everything. They never turned their backs on their customers to compete... However, it's sad that they weren't able to choice correct business choices from way back that crippled what they could of been. It's even more sad that T-Mobile is changing US telecommunications more than Sprint can imagine and by the end of this year, they will see themselves as the number 4th carrier in America.

But as for t-mobile, I LOVE it. Love what the company stands for, what they are doing, love that the CEO loathes AT&T the way I do and will stick it to them with every chance they get, and I'm happy to be working for them and apart of the team. It's been good Sprint but you're really dated now and an endangered company made a huge comeback that you should have done first.

Good to hear you had good experiences with their customer service. I on the other hand, had terrible experiences. Twice I needed to get the BBB involved to settle different instances of Sprint fucking me over. Futhermore, they wanted $5 a month extra because I wouldn't let them withdraw the bill from my account automatically.

I get 26 MB down here on 4G LTE sprint (Quad Cities area in IL and even faster on breaks near Chicago). Almost 5 on 3G

Funny thing about carriers: they differ in quality depending on your location. That doesn't make the entire company a reflection of your results.

Dali

Sprint's unlimited data is like going to an all you can eat buffet, but when you go up for some food all they have is piles of shit. Customer service was great though, but holy shit was the network shit. And they had this aggressive pre-installed program that constantly turned on my wifi even while driving. It would disrupt my connection and I could never stream music because of it. They finally started rolling out 4g last year, but many times it would connect to 4g but not work. Kind of like when you connect to a wifi network that shows you connected, but requires a password from the browser. The phone was barely usable when the wifi wasn't connected.

This mirrors my experience exactly. Got unlimited data but I can't even load something not very data intensive like gaf. I constantly get 408 errors because it takes too long to load pages. What's the point of unlimited if the coverage is shit?

Halcyon

I just got on the $30 100min plan with T-Mobile and I would like it except that when I'm at work I get garbage service. It's either Edge or nothing at all. I leave and it's decent 3g(I have a moto g).

At&t has coverage where I work so i'm switching to Straight Talk next month.

Wiz

Sprint's speeds are piss poor which is exactly why they're still offering unlimted data. I revert to using wifi whenever possible because even on LTE it's not certain that my connection will be stable.

Just have until September until my contract is over and I will also be jumping to T-Mobile...if the next iPhone comes out before then I might even have them pay my ETF...

Kimawolf

Ya I need to fo this. My Sprint speed atm on 4glte is 2.8MB up and 2.6MB down. And mind you their CAMPUS is mere 2 miles from me atm.

Ovid

I keep telling people T-Mobile is the shit right now.

I was a prepaid AT&T customer for ten years up until last year. I never had a problem with them until they changed their data prices and allowances. It was a rip off compared to T-Mobile's $30 unlimited plan.

They only problem I have with T-Mobile is that I barely get a signal in my house but in my office bldg in Midtown Manhattan I get full bars.

So strange.

I keep telling people T-Mobile is the shit right now.

I was a prepaid AT&T customer for ten years up until last year. I never had a problem with them until they changed their data prices and allowances. It was a rip off compared to T-Mobile's $30 unlimited plan.

They only problem I have with T-Mobile is that I barely get a signal in my house but in my office bldg in Midtown Manhattan I get full bars.

So strange.
Try asking for a femto cell from them. Should get you much better coverage in your home, I think.

chifanpoe

I've had Sprint for years, used to have AT&T. Sprint's great in my area, no complaints whatsoever. Great customer service too.

This, is how it has been for me as well. Along with a healthy 29% off corporate account. I have both Verizon and Sprint devices and the 4G speeds are always very close up and down.

Hmm, I'm really tempted to switch. I live in upper manhattan and sprint's coverage is non existent in my home, even with their airwave device. Customer service is the worst, too. I just gotta find someone with a tmobile phone to check how the reception is over here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom