• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just played through Quantum Break

Ogbert

Gold Member
What a great game.

Missed out on it first time round. Picked it up on Steam Deck (plays very nicely) and had a hoot.

Remedy are a special studio and produce interesting games. They have a singular vision; you can see how they are essentially perfecting the same game.

Control feels like a continuation of QB. Even the set pieces - the dockyard in QB is evolved even further to become *that* amazing level in Control.

Good game. Good studio.

Ogbert

Gold Member
We had a thread about this game like a month ago, about exactly the same thing.

Got overlooked mostly because it was an Xbox exclusive and didn't have any good advertisement backing it up.
Ah - didn’t see that thread.

I only picked it up as I stumbled across a really cheap key.

Tore through it in two sittings. Their gunplay is on point.

As you say, it's not so much underrated as completely overlooked.

Woman Smoke GIF by SYFY

Is this on gamepass?

Yep. I agree with the OP, as I also slept on it for the entirety of the X1 generation. I liked the story they were working with, too bad they didn't continue on with that. You could see Jack easily becoming Paul without realizing it, the story had more life in it. Though I don't think all of the live action stuff was needed, fill in the story with more of the game itself.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Ah - didn’t see that thread.

I only picked it up as I stumbled across a really cheap key.

Tore through it in two sittings. Their gunplay is on point.

As you say, it's not so much underrated as completely overlooked.
Didn't mean any negative by it. Just funny to see two threads about the same game so close to each other.

R6Rider

Gold Member
I want to play this, but I haven't seen it on sale in awhile. I think it's still $40 normally lol.

R6Rider

Gold Member
Are you on PC or Xbox?

If on Xbox (or PC also I guess) you could get a month of GP at $15, might even be able to use a promo to get it for less. Cheap keys are also available for steam: https://www.cdkeys.com/quantum-break-pc-steam-cd-key
I have all systems, but would prefer on Xbox. Don't plan on getting Game Pass again until more titles release next year.

Just checked Amazon, and it's $20 on there. Might have to look into the last time it was on sale on the Xbox store.

EDIT: Seems to drop in price to $10 fairly frequently. Last time was in September; Guess I missed it.

Last edited:

ZehDon

One of the rare "cinematic" games I actually didn't mind. It's still crazy linear - but it tries to break up the formula and do new things with it, so its tolerable. Held back by the Xbone, for sure.

Last edited:

About $9 from that site, but I've never used and don't know if it is reputable.

Ebay would be another option if you don't have a XSS.

Ogbert

Gold Member
if I found control boring would I also find this boring too
I really liked both, but I can see why people might not have taken to Control.

I think QB is perhaps a little more mainstream. It's a cheesy Saturday afternoon time travel flick with good set pieces, great gunplay and fun powers.

The dna of both games is the same, but QB is less sombre.

Got to say, I loved Control though.

MarkMe2525

Gold Member
I just started a second playthrough a few days ago. I played it at launch on OG X1 and the higher resolution it runs at now really cleans up the IQ.

sainraja

People are quick to forget and I guess it is simple to say it was due to Xbox One it got overlooked or what have you but it was also a TV show in a game kind of deal and after the marketing of Xbox One (TV, TV, TV), that aspect wasn't going to help it. Everyone that is saying or thinking that it was simply due to Xbox One, need to understand that a game can easily become the reason people get a console (e.g. Gears of War for the X360).

One of the rare "cinematic" games I actually didn't mind. It's still crazy linear - but it tries to break up the formula and do new things with it, so its tolerable. Held back by the Xbone, for sure.
Then your complaints about other "cinematic" games must be pretty shallow given this game was giving you pretty much a full episode in the game lol. I don't want to turn this into a QB vs whatever you classify as a cinematic game so I guess to each his own but I had to respond. :D

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I know, but I dont know why. Bored the hell out of me. Was a pain in the ass to finish.

I thought the gameplay was so-so (not BAD, but eh), but I loved the story. I'm a huge fan of SCP, which that game is heavily inspired by. I love stories about strange phenomena, transdimensional weirdness, etc. I can see the game not being that much fun if you don't invest yourself in what's going on in the story, read all the cool lore you can find all over that place, etc. Without that, it's just running back and forth through a kinda boring building (although it has some really cool sections) with some serviceable shooty bang action.

ZehDon

Then your complaints about other "cinematic" games must be pretty shallow given this game was giving you pretty much a full episode in the game lol. I don't want to turn this into a QB vs whatever you classify as a cinematic game so I guess to each his own but I had to respond. :D
Sorry, but cowardly posting "your opinion is garbage, lol, but don't reply" doesn't really fly here. You're on a discussion forum. If you "had to respond" then you'll be responded to.

Quantum Break changes up the formula of the "cinematic game" in a couple of ways, namely by introducing choices, albeit relatively low impact ones, into the story. That makes all the difference to me, because virtually no cinematic games do this. They're not interested in the player; they're interested in The Writing®. Quantum Break certainly does this too to a degree, but it at least tries to do something different within that framework. The "tv episode" serves to provide a backstory to a character the player is ultimately tasked with defeating - and the choice is theirs to kill or not kill that person. The episodes serve to inform that choice. It's not groundbreaking stuff, and in fact it's likely a holdover from Microsoft's disastrous "TV TV TV Sports" focus at the time, but. it still lets the player express themselves in relation to the story - and it's still an improvement over the passive narratives most "cinematic games" shovel. The larger choices the player is presented with are also done in a relatively novel way; the player is not making choices from the perspective of the hero they play as, they're making choices from the perspective of the villain, during brief shifts in perspective. This allows us a window into the villain, where we understand the altruistic intention behind their actions. They're not on some petty revenge quest or operating under some poorly written Machiavellian excuse; their actions are not only understandable, but actually entirely justified and perfectly reasonable. Combined with the decent gunplay and the time powers, the story and gameplay are an entertaining combination, enough so to warrant a playthrough, and if the time story grabs you, it might be worth a second playthrough to see how the choices impact that story. It's not amazing, and there's still lots of forced "walk and talk" segements, but I enjoyed it enough, so I'll give it a solid 3/5, mostly for trying to do things a little different. Most "cinematic games" land at about a 2/5 for me.

fatmarco

The biggest problem with this game is that the gunplay is awful and combat stays awful in general until you have a full set of abilities. The story and lore is actually really cool so its a shame they goofed the gameplay.

Something they "Remedy"d in Control.

I personally hated Control. I thought it was boring too.

Quantum Break is better, but the powers are more fun for me.

None of them hold a candle to Alan Wake though.
myself, i've enjoyed & replayed all 3, but, yeah, tho it gets a bit wearing down the final stretch, i also liked alan wake the most - unlike the other 2 games, there's just something so resident evil / deadly premonition level 'lovable' about it...

Last edited:
The TV show was surprisingly good. The gameplay to me is still very much the highlight of 3rd person shooter combat the last two gens. Comboing abilities together was insane. The AI knew how to force you into positions to make use of them in creative ways. You were never safe in cover. Damn shame that game never got a sequel.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Loved it! Mixing up the different power abilities was great and all of the time bending stuff. I didn't even mind the live show

The TV show was surprisingly good. The gameplay to me is still very much the highlight of 3rd person shooter combat the last two gens. Comboing abilities together was insane. The AI knew how to force you into positions to make use of them in creative ways. You were never safe in cover. Damn shame that game never got a sequel.

NGL the show was low-key good as well. Although would have been nice if the key characters from the show were more integral in the main game's plot as well.

Soltype

Awesome shooter, wish they had made the game a little longer because the mechanics are very good.the default difficulty should have been hard, normal doesn't push you enough to shuffle your powers like they wanted.

Hawk269

Game is fantastic. I really did like the mini movies and how they worked with different things happening based on what you did in the game, I thought that was a great addition. Really hope a sequel comes out sometime in the future....doubt it will but I also doubted Alan Wake (another fantastic game) and that is now getting a sequel.

sainraja

Sorry, but cowardly posting "your opinion is garbage, lol, but don't reply" doesn't really fly here. You're on a discussion forum. If you "had to respond" then you'll be responded to.
I am fine with that (getting a response). I just didn't want this to turn into a circular argument which tends to happen a lot here where no one is willing to give an inch. They will stick by what they have said no matter how many times one explains their point of view and don't worry I fully expected a response from you. ;)

Quantum Break changes up the formula of the "cinematic game" in a couple of ways, namely by introducing choices, albeit relatively low impact ones, into the story. That makes all the difference to me, because virtually no cinematic games do this. They're not interested in the player; they're interested in The Writing®. Quantum Break certainly does this too to a degree, but it at least tries to do something different within that framework. The "tv episode" serves to provide a backstory to a character the player is ultimately tasked with defeating - and the choice is theirs to kill or not kill that person. The episodes serve to inform that choice. It's not groundbreaking stuff, and in fact it's likely a holdover from Microsoft's disastrous "TV TV TV Sports" focus at the time, but. it still lets the player express themselves in relation to the story - and it's still an improvement over the passive narratives most "cinematic games" shovel. The larger choices the player is presented with are also done in a relatively novel way; the player is not making choices from the perspective of the hero they play as, they're making choices from the perspective of the villain, during brief shifts in perspective. This allows us a window into the villain, where we understand the altruistic intention behind their actions. They're not on some petty revenge quest or operating under some poorly written Machiavellian excuse; their actions are not only understandable, but actually entirely justified and perfectly reasonable. Combined with the decent gunplay and the time powers, the story and gameplay are an entertaining combination, enough so to warrant a playthrough, and if the time story grabs you, it might be worth a second playthrough to see how the choices impact that story. It's not amazing, and there's still lots of forced "walk and talk" segements, but I enjoyed it enough, so I'll give it a solid 3/5, mostly for trying to do things a little different. Most "cinematic games" land at about a 2/5 for me.
I understand your point of view of the game better now then your casual dismissal of other games by simply labeling them 'cinematic' games. For me, and I have played the game (I own it — just didn't cross the finish line), TV episodes or cinematic CGI scenes mixed with in-game conversation serve the same purpose. Quantum Break didn't really make the case of merging TV show with gameplay to be a better one and that was their key differentiator (IMO); it wasn't bad that it had it, so that is not what I am saying. I still disagree with your original statement → linear games have their place. I will have to play further to fully understand the rest of what you are saying but from what I have played, I didn't really see the choice aspect (or I am forgetting). I will go back to it at some point (there are many games I have to do that with unfortunately.) I remember enjoying what I did play.

Last edited:

Pidull

What a great game.

Missed out on it first time round. Picked it up on Steam Deck (plays very nicely) and had a hoot.

Remedy are a special studio and produce interesting games. They have a singular vision; you can see how they are essentially perfecting the same game.

Control feels like a continuation of QB. Even the set pieces - the dockyard in QB is evolved even further to become *that* amazing level in Control.

Good game. Good studio.
Quantum Break was a really cool game, the live action stuff was admirable but unfortunately completely unnecessary to the game and brought it down. I really enjoyed it.

funeral im back GIF

Necrobump.

I played Quantum Break back in 2018 but never got into it. Replaying it now on PC, and it's great! This game deserved better scores and reception for sure, The production values are way beyond Control with its repetitive environments, and other than ray-tracing, I'd say it's on par with Control. And better in gameplay.

It's from 2016, and I really think it stands up, graphically, to a lot--maybe most--games released today. What has happened in the past 7 years that games don't look markedly better than this?

^ Agreed about the poor critical reception. I slept on this game for an entire generation because I was turned off by the general reception. Great game, just needed to be a bit more of the actual game section of it. It's one of those where you are not "done" with it yet when the game is over.

Last edited:
^ Agreed about the poor critical reception. I slept on this game for an entire generation because I was turned off by the general reception. Great game, just needed to be a bit more of the actual game section of it. It's one of those where you are "done" with it yet when the game is over.
Call a spade a spade, it was shit on because it was exclusive to xbone. If it was multiplatform it would be as highly regarded as Uncharted.

Umbasaborne

Banned
I remember there was a take on gb a few years ago, where brad said “oh yeah, wasn't Quantum break that third person call of duty clone?” I really couldn't believe that someone who has been in this industry so long could spout something that dismissive and ignorant

Top Bottom