• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katarmari Damacy (U.S.) box art

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
cover.JPG

ROCK

Has anyone had absolute confirmation that the lyrics in Katamari have been left intact? I know they've confirmed that the "music" or "soundtrack" is "intact", but I've had a bad feeling that Namco might have left the music but removed the vocals...

Seeing that boxart gives me hope that they just changed the text into english and left everything else as-is... but it's still Namco HomeTek...

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'm shocked. I would have imagined they'd manage to totally destroy the beautiful art by replacing it with a blurry low-poly render with some radial blur and outer glow. But that was Konami I was thinking about. Good work Namco!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
It seems like they aren't bothered to spend any effort on changing the title or the boxart. Which I appreciate. They could've used some imagination with the logo though, but what the hell. :)

Vibri

Banned
I did notice one change, the music during the first training is different. Weird.

All other music in the US version is identical - no changed lyrics. It even follows the same order by stage. Same crazy intros, cut scenes etc are all there too.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
NotMSRP said:
BEST LOCALIZATION JOB BY NAMCO EVER!

Say it loud! Say it proud! That box is awesome, I really didn't expect them to keep the awesome Japanese art. But then again I guess you can't really "americanize" a game like this. Hot damn, that is going to look sooo sexy in my collection...and in my PS2.

Socreges

Banned
Just thought I'd check what all the fuss was about:

Ever wonder what it would be like to roll around and collect everything you touched in one massive heap? Well that's exactly the premise of Namco's strange action game Katamari Damacy. In it, players assume the role of the Prince of the Cosmos as he undertakes a quest to right the wrongs of his father who accidentally knocked the stars out of the sky. The only way to fix it is to roll around the world and collect as many items as possible in one gigantic clump. Both a single player story mode and two-player battle feature are included for the romp, and gamers will be able to accumulate hundreds of different items of various shapes and sizes.
...WHAT

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Grizzlyjin said:
That box is awesome, I really didn't expect them to keep the awesome Japanese art. But then again I guess you can't really "americanize" a game like this.

kdbox.jpg

Soul4ger

king zell said:
"publisher of the year"

Namco :)

If not, they're definitely up there. They just need to bring Klonoa and Mr. Driller back to the States, and they'll have a loyal fan for life.

Bog

Junior Ace
Yeah, but don't they publish Street Racing Syndicate? Sorry, that's worth -1400 pts.

Actually, I wonder why Namco would bother to bring this over to america.

Do they have that much faith in the american hardcore gamer?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
One would be a bit crazy to care what the box for this game looks like, now that it's being RELEASED HERE, but damn if I'm not happy to see they kept it just the way I hoped they would.

Sorry,I just don't see how that could be worth money :p

If someone can sell water, someone can sell a game about rolling a ball around the world. At least that's what I think.

Just look at this forum. The answer is closer than you think.

Soul4ger

Date of Lies said:

It seems like the media put a lot of pressure on them, especially when they decided to show it on a few machines at E3. It's about time popular press did something good.

Why Katamari will never be the massive hit it deserves to be? "You mean there aren't any Vietcong to shoot?! Fuck that!"

Meier

Date of Lies said:

Flat out, because of the wonderful reception and large lines/crowd it received at E3.

Meier

In Namco's booth over near the Tekken 5 stand.. had about 5 units or so for play with more or less constant traffic around it.

KatamariDamacy.jpg

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Dragona Akehi said:
Has anyone had absolute confirmation that the lyrics in Katamari have been left intact? I know they've confirmed that the "music" or "soundtrack" is "intact", but I've had a bad feeling that Namco might have left the music but removed the vocals...
The music soundtrack is exactly the same within the game. Yes, including the lyrics. Sheesh. In the intro they used a slightly different edit of the main theme tune, so the song is simply "Laaaa la la la la la laa laa la laa laa la la laaa" etc instead of "Laaaa la la la la la laa laa la katamari damasii".

A hearty laff at kobun's pic.

Vibri

Banned
Once again: the US version intro tutorial (where you first take control in a level which ends when you hit 10cm) has completely changed music.

It's not music which is on the JP soundtrack either. Not out of place, but definately a new track for US.

Everything else is identical as far as I can see.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Ramirez said:
Why do you need anything beyond "roll a ball around and make it a certain size?"

Last I checked, the whole point of Halo was to run around and shoot things. I don't see how that could be worth money.

Soul4ger

MetatronM said:
Why do you need anything beyond "roll a ball around and make it a certain size?"

Last I checked, the whole point of Halo was to run around and shoot things. I don't see how that could be worth money.

See my above post.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Soul4ger said:
See my above post.
Pretty much, yeah.

I just don't get why people question the validity of Katamari Damacy as a game concept when they don't say "What? There's nothing to do in Street Fighter except to beat each other up over and over again? That's so dumb" or "So the whole point of Super Mario Bros. is for me to run to the right of the screen and jump on things? How can they charge money for that?"

AniHawk

MetatronM said:
Pretty much, yeah.

I just don't get why people question the validity of Katamari Damacy as a game concept when they don't say "What? There's nothing to do in Street Fighter except to beat each other up over and over again? That's so dumb" or "So the whole point of Super Mario Bros. is for me to run to the right of the screen and jump on things? How can they charge money for that?"

It just isn't something I'd tell someone if you were trying to sell them on the game.

I can't believe Namco has the balls to release a game in the US with a name like Katamari Damacy. But I guess there's a large enough audience of Japanophile-animeniacs to buy it.

Top Bottom