• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Katarmari Damacy (U.S.) box art

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Belfast said:
Just pretend you're paying for the soundtrack and get the game for free.

Hehe, that's how I see it in my point of view, but I'm pretty sure the game will be fun as well

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Rhage said:
Wow, didn't even know this was being released in the US. Anyone have some PR about that?
It first showed up at E3 as a sort of test run, and then they made the official announcement a little over a month ago.

Belfast

The game IS fun, its just not very long. Still quite joy-inducing, though. Sure you can compete for scores and stuff and the bonus stages add some extra challenge, but there seems to be a theoretical upper limit for most of the scores.

Matlock said:
Speaking of the soundtrack, anyone know where bobby's rip is?

It's unfortunately down for now, you guys obliterated the server that a friend was kindly letting me use. :(

If anyone else wants to host for a while, or for that matter hook up Matlock directly, that'd be cool! Or I could, but it would be painfully slow.

As for the cover, it rules. But it's not the final piece in the Namco-are-gods puzzle. That'll be the (hopefully) full-color manual! C'mon Namco, give us 110%!!!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
bobbyconover said:
It's unfortunately down for now, you guys obliterated the server that a friend was kindly letting me use. :(

Well, at least the server was obliterated for a good cause! And I'm still deeply grateful for the soundtrack.
Oh and a few days ago, I uploaded the Nananana title song to my cellphone, and I'm currently using it as my default ringtone. Rock! :)

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
bobbyconover said:
As for the cover, it rules. But it's not the final piece in the Namco-are-gods puzzle. Tthat'll be the (hopefully) full-color manual! C'mon Namco, give us 110%!!!
Honestly, at this point, the manual could be on newsprint for all I care. They've fulfilled their publishing duties spendidly as far as I'm concerned.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I wonder if it will sell with box art like that...

GAF<>The actual game-buying population

"WTF IS THIS GAY SHIT WITH A COW?"

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Sho Nuff said:
I wonder if it will sell with box art like that...

GAF<>The actual game-buying population

"WTF IS THIS GAY SHIT WITH A COW?"
Of course it won't sell well. It's a damned trash ball game.

As long as Namco is aware of that fact as they release it (so they aren't disappointed when it bombs), then there's nothing to worry about. Fortunately, the way they're handling this game tells me they are doing this primarily as a favor to the hardcore crowd, so I can't imagine they are expecting much.

jett

D-Member
You gotta give Namco their props for releasing a game with a high risk of selling like ass in a completely unadultered form.

Personally, I'll be buying this thing if I manage to find a copy where I live. :p

jett said:
You gotta give Namco their props for releasing a game with a high risk of selling like ass in a completely unadultered form.
I do admire the philosophy, though:

"This game might not sell in huge numbers... but let's at least try not to totally piss off the people who ARE going to buy it."

You can never have too much street cred. Especially when it's NAMCO we're talking about, who for pretty much the entire lifespan of the PS1 and half of this gen thought it best to completely ignore the fact that they were a Japanese company.

Spike

Someone please hook me up with bobby's soundtrack! In exchange, I have a single gmail invite I would be willing to give as thanks.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I can't believe Namco has the balls to release a game in the US with a name like Katamari Damacy. But I guess there's a large enough audience of Japanophile-animeniacs to buy it.
I doubt there will be too many Final Finatasy,etc. fans buying this. It's just not the same thing. It doesn't even look animeish to me, much like, I don't know, Yoshi's Island doesn't look animeish. It's a very pretty looking game, though. I'm by no means fan of Japan pop culture, but this game is something I find very appealling.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I honestly think that boxart is going to help sell more copies of the game. It'll be extremely eye-catching, sitting on the shelf. Obviously it's not going to appeal to the gamestop crowd, but there's a lot of small used/import/anime shops across the nation too, you know. I work in one, and I know the regulars well enough to know that it'll pique their interest.

aku:jiki

Belfast said:
The game IS fun, its just not very long. Still quite joy-inducing, though. Sure you can compete for scores and stuff and the bonus stages add some extra challenge, but there seems to be a theoretical upper limit for most of the scores.
That's the absolutely only issue I had with this game. I was done with it in a day. But it's so fun, I couldn't stop myself from coming back to it for several days after that.

And since I don't read japanese, it was kind of a hassle trying to unlock stuff. I'm hoping it'll be easier (and thus more fun) when I understand what they're telling me.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Are there any chances of a PAL release

good question. I see no reason. I'm surprised that this is getting released in the US. Not because of Namco, but because, of SCEA. They have the power of god in their hands in the US.

In Europe, its just the publishers decision. In this case maybe localisation might make them hesitate, but just bring the UK version to all countries except France.

Maybe this is just payback for the games we got that the US didn't?

Still sucks though, as my modded PS2 is dead, so I'd need the Japanese version for much more money.

aku:jiki

mrklaw said:
good question. I see no reason. I'm surprised that this is getting released in the US. Not because of Namco, but because, of SCEA. They have the power of god in their hands in the US.

In Europe, its just the publishers decision. In this case maybe localisation might make them hesitate, but just bring the UK version to all countries except France.

Maybe this is just payback for the games we got that the US didn't?

Still sucks though, as my modded PS2 is dead, so I'd need the Japanese version for much more money.
The game does show up on a euro release list, marked down as 28th of December. Who knows what that means, though, as I'm pretty sure it was never formally announced for Europe.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Jonnyboy117 said:
Yes. The actual point is to have fun.

Come on, we all know that games can't be fun unless they're about ricing out import cars or "fragging" people in multiplayer first person shooters.

djtiesto said:
Come on, we all know that games can't be fun unless they're about ricing out import cars or "fragging" people in multiplayer first person shooters.

Everyone says that the soundtrack to Katamari Damacy is really good ... could you let me know which rap artists contributed tracks??? k tnx

Ramirez

LMAO...I love how everyone automatically assumed that I didn't want to like it because it wasn't some mainstream title.

I was just asking,because personally I do not see the fun in rolling a ball around picking up more stuff.But I mean hey if thats your bag,then be my guest :) To me it just looks like some weird game that people here will claim as the best thing ever just because its different :p

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
JackFrost2012 said:
Everyone says that the soundtrack to Katamari Damacy is really good ... could you let me know which rap artists contributed tracks??? k tnx

Well I know the new line up for the States release.....

Soul4ger

Ramirez said:
LMAO...I love how everyone automatically assumed that I didn't want to like it because it wasn't some mainstream title.

I was just asking,because personally I do not see the fun in rolling a ball around picking up more stuff.But I mean hey if thats your bag,then be my guest :) To me it just looks like some weird game that people here will claim as the best thing ever just because its different :p

You poor, poor man. May God have mercy on your soul after these jackals pull your body to pieces.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Ramirez said:

Instead of thinking if it may or may not be fun, just give it a try once it's released. Spend 15 mins of your life to find out. That way you don't have to bother thinking whether or not it would be fun to play a game where you roll stuff into a big fucking ball of junk. Then you'll know for real. :)

It IS a weird game, it is NOT the best game ever, it IS very enjoyable. A game doesn't have to have tons of menus and settings and options and abilites and stages and graphical details to be fun. It's probably the third or fourth time I've said it this week but...sometimes less is more. :)
I paid full price for my import copy, and for $20 I'll be damned if I didn't pick it up again.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
JackFrost2012 said:
Katamari on Crack Rock

No man that is soooo 90s.... Katamari is sporting the Bling Bling...

(And music about drugs should be in this game... people who have already played it know what I'm talking about)

Oh yes, this game will rock. Nice to see the great cover art. For those that want to pre-order online gamestop has free two day shipping on all ps2 pre orders today with code 2DPS2. Who knows how many copies stores will be getting of this thing.

Thanks for the tip on the coupon code! My Phantom Brave order was one day away from getting shipped with value shipping. Now I can cancel and order Katamari too :).

Fellow Canadians, where will you be buying this game? I've heard that EB wasn't carrying this... :(

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'mn uploading the soundtrack to my personal server right now. I'll make a new thread once it's up.

Top Bottom