• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kentucky fried Chicken"animal cruelty"video insde

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
olimario said:
If you can't see the differnce between a human and a chicken, there's no hope for you.

Chickens are unintelligent creatures with really no concept of anything except their basic instinct to survive. They are here for our sustenance. Why treat them with any respect before I eat them? Really no point.
And I suppose the Sun rises just to bring you light, correct?

olimario

Banned
trippingmartian said:
Oli, would you condone the brutalization of a cat, dog, or a horse?

If the animal were to be eaten afterwards? sure.
There's no point in killing an animal just to kill it.

suikodan

olimario said:
If you can't see the differnce between a human and a chicken, there's no hope for you.

Chickens are unintelligent creatures with really no concept of anything except their basic instinct to survive. They are here for our sustenance. Why treat them with any respect before I eat them? Really no point.

I know that a predator doesn't give any respect to its prey but aren't we supposed to be a little more intelligent than that? There is a point whether they really need to suffer before dying or not. Break his neck and send it to the KFC store, there is really no need to play with its life.

Kuroyume

Banned
Olimario is clearly going to hell... anyone who condones animal abuse just for the sake of food is an evil man. You know what type of people do that? SATAN WORSHIPPERS

olimario

Banned
suikodan said:
I know that a predator doesn't give any respect to its prey but aren't we supposed to be a little more intelligent than that? There is a point whether they really need to suffer before dying or not. Break his neck and send it to the KFC store, there is really no need to play with its life.

I see the brutalization as pointless too, but nothing to throw a hissy fit over. If they really want to look like morons while killing those animals, more power to em. They'll just get a little less respect from everyone else for being less civil than needed.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Animals are plenty capable of pain and suffering, Oli, regardless of whether or not they are as smart as us. Killing them to eat is one thing -- brutally and painfully torturing them before killing them to eat is quite another.

yoshifumi

Banned
ok here's what i really think: beaten or not, these chickens are all going to live the rest of their short lives in total confusion until they get to their inevitable killing floor deaths.

if they're mistreated by people along the way, sure i agree that's not very nice and there's a bit of a problem with the people doing the mistreatment. but that's a problem with these individual people, and not any indication of anything bigger than that. sure it's cruel, but sometimes shitty things happen along the way.

it's not really my problem, because the chicken still ends up on your plate. it's not like this is a factory for making pets or anything.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
People who don't give a shit about where and how their food is produced would soon be ingesting spoiled and diseased product. It is a lack of interest in the production of what you consume that directly supports the spread of food borne illness like mad cow disease.

food for thought.

yoshifumi

Banned
scola said:
People who don't give a shit about where and how their food is produced would soon be ingesting spoiled and diseased product. It is a lack of interest in the production of what you consume that directly supports the spread of food borne illness like mad cow disease.

food for thought.

i think medical concerns like that are different from cruelty concerns. mad cow disease wasn't spread through mistreatment of animals it was spread through bad feed for cattle, which wasn't really a matter of neglect, it was more of a matter of ignorance.

People who are saying that it doesn't matter obviously don't know how to put themselves in another's shoes. It is so easy to act like a total punk kid and say it doesn't matter while you talk on the luxurious internet, sitting in your plushy chair, eat pizza pockets, have a cold beverage with ice (for free) and just generally live life like a relative fat-cat. You talk the talk now, but I guarantee if you were in this chicken's shoes you would be crying mercy in every way possible. Pain and suffering is obviously a foreign concept to you and your first world-country lifestyle.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
yoshifumi said:
i think medical concerns like that are different from cruelty concerns. mad cow disease wasn't spread through mistreatment of animals it was spread through bad feed for cattle, which wasn't really a matter of neglect, it was more of a matter of ignorance.
If feeding an hebivore the flesh of its own species, other animals and sawdust, all likely contaminated with fecal matter isn't mistreatment, I don't know what is. I understand there are some serious differences between what you feed an animal, and flogging it against a wall. But what is at issue is that all of these problems are systemic. When we don't care if an animal is tortured before death, or has its beak and claws removed, and lives in a cage all its life where it shits onto the animals in the cage below it, we start not to care what we feed them, what kind of medicine, steroids or antibiotics they are given, if it is sick or not etc.

When people don't care, systemic problems go un-fixed. I don't mean to imply that smashing a chicken will make you sick, but that if people don't care, these kinds of problems will arrise.

olimario

Banned
JasoNsider said:
People who are saying that it doesn't matter obviously don't know how to put themselves in another's shoes. It is so easy to act like a total punk kid and say it doesn't matter while you talk on the luxurious internet, sitting in your plushy chair, eat pizza pockets, have a cold beverage with ice (for free) and just generally live life like a relative fat-cat. You talk the talk now, but I guarantee if you were in this chicken's shoes you would be crying mercy in every way possible. Pain and suffering is obviously a foreign concept to you and your first world-country lifestyle.

Chickens don't wear shoes.

FightyF

Banned
If the animal were to be eaten afterwards? sure.
There's no point in killing an animal just to kill it.

But they weren't killing, they were toying with them.

I'm sure that the people don't mind this...also don't mind their chicken FUTA before being slaughtered too, I mean, it adds extra flavour right? It's not like these chickens can think for themselves, so it's all good, right?

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
JasoNsider said:

Honestly, I think most of these guys do care, but like getting a rise out of people, especially a response like yours, which they'd just eat up to continue the whole farce.

guess said:
I bet if there was a thread, "Human cruelty video," it would not get half as many replies.

I doubt there would be much of an argument if it was humans being thrown onto a wall. Not a whole lot of ambiguity on whether its ok or not.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
guess said:
I bet if there was a thread, "Human cruelty video," it would not get half as many replies.
I would "guess" you were not around for the Iraq prisoner abuse threads.

ConfusingJazz said:
I doubt there would be much of an argument if it was humans being thrown onto a wall. Not a whole lot of ambiguity on whether its ok or not.
Humans can defend themselves. Perhaps if it were children being thrown onto a wall, there'd be a similar reaction to what's seen here.
Fight for Freeform said:
I'm sure that the people don't mind this...also don't mind their chicken FUTA before being slaughtered too, I mean, it adds extra flavour right?
LOL

olimario said:
Chickens don't wear shoes.

Neither do the small tribes in Africa. Should we throw them against walls and see if they hurt? Seriously, this is the stuff that sociopaths are made of. Totally void of any feeling for anything beyond your realm of consciousness.

yoshifumi

Banned
scola said:
If feeding an hebivore the flesh of its own species, other animals and sawdust, all likely contaminated with fecal matter isn't mistreatment, I don't know what is. I understand there are some serious differences between what you feed an animal, and flogging it against a wall. But what is at issue is that all of these problems are systemic. When we don't care if an animal is tortured before death, or has its beak and claws removed, and lives in a cage all its life where it shits onto the animals in the cage below it, we start not to care what we feed them, what kind of medicine, steroids or antibiotics they are given, if it is sick or not etc.

When people don't care, systemic problems go un-fixed. I don't mean to imply that smashing a chicken will make you sick, but that if people don't care, these kinds of problems will arrise.

oh i see what you're getting at. i can sort of agree with that, but for the most part i think after a certain point in the escalating problems people step in to prevent the product from harming people, and it all goes back to bashing your chickens on the wall. it all just depends on where they step in, whether it's when people are being cruel to the animals, feeding them, or (hopefully not) when they are selling bad product. i think generally speaking these kinds of problems do escalate but they are usually stopped before they get to the point of giving bad product to consumers.

of course i suppose it would be best to stop these problems before they even begin to escalate, but that seems like a big expense that i doubt companies are willing to pay.

yoshifumi said:
oh i see what you're getting at. i can sort of agree with that, but for the most part i think after a certain point in the escalating problems people step in to prevent the product from harming people, and it all goes back to bashing your chickens on the wall. it all just depends on where they step in, whether it's when people are being cruel to the animals, feeding them, or (hopefully not) when they are selling bad product. i think generally speaking these kinds of problems do escalate but they are usually stopped before they get to the point of giving bad product to consumers.

of course i suppose it would be best to stop these problems before they even begin to escalate, but that seems like a big expense that i doubt companies are willing to pay.

"Things magically happen, because they just do... Really they just do... It has nothing to do with the fact that people express disgust and protest once they get to see videos such as the one shown above. Really, it is just because things magically change. Poof! Big Brother comes to save me. I love you Big Brother."

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
yoshifumi said:

Yeah it isn't all an unstopable train. The "uncaring people" in my fable will start to serve notice when a human gets sick (see ecoli and jack in the box) forcing the system to change. I agree with you to a certain extent, in that problems of human health and animal well being are going to be approached differently (and they should be approached differently).

But I also disagree with human health being the bottom line on addressing food production problems. It is unfortunately still a gray area. For instance there are no federally mandated guidlines or instructions for meat recall, whether to do and how to do a recall for ecoli contaminated meat is addressed by the meat producer (who has an obvious desire to protect their image, i.e. keep any recall, if there is one, low key). I think ultimately the line where they step in and stop things is still the proverbial "bottom line" and unless people show an interest in how their food is produced they can not vote with their dollars thus affecting this bottom line.

Saint Cornelius said:
Because of one thing I've said?! Like I said, it is superfly to judge others over the internet.

I had KFC for lunch today, and it was fucking FINGER LICKIN' GOOD.

Sorry, should have included a wink, it was supposed to be sarcastic.

MonkeyBoy

seeing the horrors of KFC's chicken round up only gives nightmares thinking of where Taco Bell gets thier meat.

tacobell_dog3.gif

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
John Titor said:
There is a disease called CJD that still kills masses of people after the war ends, a sort of evolution from today's Mad Cow disease. John's advice: "Do not eat or use products from any animal that is fed and eats parts of its own dead... Thinking about where [fast food] came from, how it was shipped and treated absolutely terrifies me."

Uh oh! ;)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Minotauro: Uh... CJD is already around, and has been for a while. Actually, Mad Cow in humans is called "variant CJD". :p

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Tim said:
This is by far the dumbest post I have ever read on these boards.

And I can't believe what kind of assholes would do this to those chickens as well.

Belgurdo, you sure are into making virtual friends lately, lol.

I certainly don't equate chickens/humans, but I've never met a person I liked or wanted to be around who took a perverse delight in slaughtering animals.

LakeEarth

Yeah CJD isn't new. It only kills a handful of people a year. It's very unlikely someone eating at a random fastfood place will get it.. but if they do they are fucked, cause CJD is 100% fatal. No cure, no way to slow it down.

Pellham

Banned
the whole cruelty to animals is a double standard. If people did this to insects, fish, or mollusks, nobody would care. But because it's a chicken, people care? If you ask me, animal cruelty should only be a big deal if it's related to animals that people actually care about, and aren't going to consume.
There's only one reason why these factory workers should not have been cruel to the chickens, and that's because an animal under stress produces more acid, hence these chickens will lose some of their valuable flavor. I can see them getting fired for that, but not for any other reason.

SFA_AOK

Just saw a report on Newsnight about it - one guy's been fired, two more are being investigated, one of the head honchos aplogised and said it was outrageous, KFC have said they've told the company that unless they can prove this isn't usual, they won't be able to use them any more.

Pellham said:
the whole cruelty to animals is a double standard. If people did this to insects, fish, or mollusks, nobody would care. But because it's a chicken, people care? If you ask me, animal cruelty should only be a big deal if it's related to animals that people actually care about, and aren't going to consume.
There's only one reason why these factory workers should not have been cruel to the chickens, and that's because an animal under stress produces more acid, hence these chickens will lose some of their valuable flavor. I can see them getting fired for that, but not for any other reason.

Uh there are people who do care about those. One example I remember is the buying and freeing of lobsters to prevent them from being boiled to death.

However, keep in mind the callous manner in which these chicken are dealt with. I certainly don't see my mom throwing lobsters against the wall and breaking off appendages.

Claus

Banned
eggplant said:
However, keep in mind the callous manner in which these chicken are dealt with. I certainly don't see my mom throwing lobsters against the wall and breaking off appendages.

But throwing lobsters into a pot of boiling water while alive is completely ok...

Claus said:
But throwing lobsters into a pot of boiling water while alive is completely ok...

I was just pointing out that there are people who DO care about mollusks and other animals. Fish and insects probably have their defenders too, but I don't recall any specific examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom