• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Garnett has retired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cipherr

Bk2PDyr.jpg

No fucking way thats real. The spaghetti part has me screaming, but its a dead giveaway.

Maddocks

That MJ story, I totally believe it. That is something he would do, even after KG won his ring, I think I read how MJ then said,"Doesn't matter till you win back to back" so even after he won, MJ still wouldn't give him respect.

Amory

Love KG. End of an era.

Pierce has to be next. Then it's pretty much just Dirk carrying the torch

megalowho

KG is a motherfuckin legend. Ever since he was a rookie it was apparent he was born to be a basketball great, the kind of player you'd create in a game if there were no restrictions in place. Incredible combination of skill, size, defensive brilliance and passion. A relentless, borderline maniacal commitment to team play and winning on the court and an inspiring, insightful and legit funny person off it.

When he joined the Celtics I was over the damn moon, getting to root for and enjoy watching a player like that night in and night out. He did not disappoint. Will always feel lucky I was a C's fan during the KG era. They don't make em like that anymore.

"the bitch ticket"
mjlol.png

End of an era. Fitting he, Timmy and Kobe go out together. Vince, Dirk and Andre Miller still holding it down for the old fuckers. Fuck Paul Pierce.

megalowho

Bosh will get in as an 11x All-Star, 2x champion and gold medal winner. He's just not on the level of KG, Duncan and Kobe when it comes to GOAT status and impact on the game. Kinda don't want him entering alongside considering how dope it would be to have the spotlight on three legends in one class.

Also kinda hope his career isn't really over, that shit bums me out.

KG the god

Shame they choked in game 7 against the lakers and game 6/7 against the Heat, might have had 3 rings 🤔

I'll miss KG , Dirk will be the last to retire from the 90s

KG and Jordan are my two all-time favs. Really sad to see him go. Followed him from rookie year till now. Really glad he got a championship. Everyone thought he was an asshole and dirty player but you gotta admit he had a massive passion for the game. One of the greats!

megalowho

He was never better than Tim Duncan.
That's on some championships are all that matters tip though. The kind of shit that would get under Durant's skin when it's clear he's an all time great. KG was as rare as it gets when it comes to basketball talent. The Spurs organization being unmatched in his era doesn't negate that.

Ric Flair

Banned
That's on some championships are all that matters tip though. The kind of shit that would get under Durant's skin when it's clear he's an all time great. KG was as rare as it gets when it comes to basketball talent. The Spurs organization being unmatched in his era doesn't negate that.
I hate the rings argument. LeBron is clearly better than guys like Larry Bird ever were, yet people bring up the fucking rings all the time.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I hate the rings argument. LeBron is clearly better than guys like Larry Bird ever were, yet people bring up the fucking rings all the time.

So says the FIFTEEN TIME WORLD CHAMPION

WOOOOOOOO

LionPride

Banned

No TD without rings is better than KG

Don't play

Maybe his 2004 MVP season he was better but generally TD>KG. KG never had a playoff run as good as 2003 Tim Duncan. KG also got schooled by Dirk when they faced of each other.

KG is a great talent. Top 20 all time. But Duncan is definitely top 10.

I disagree. He never had the team and situation Duncan had though. Not often 4 HOF play that long together. Pop..Duncan...Manu and Parker (they' ll go down as two of the best international players we've ever had.)

Duncan won a title before Manu and Parker even got there with a broken down David Robinson, Sean Elliott and Avery Johnson.

megalowho

Maybe his 2004 MVP season he was better but generally TD>KG. KG never had a playoff run as good as 2003 Tim Duncan. KG also got schooled by Dirk when they faced of each other.

KG is a great talent. Top 20 all time. But Duncan is definitely top 10.
I can respect that Duncan is higher up on the list when it comes down to it. Still always gravitated to KG more. Was probably his "I hate to lose" interview.

As a Bulls fan I absolutely hated him during the epic 1st round series in 09. KG was just yelling from bench all series. It was annowto watch as a fan.

Trash-Talking.jpg

Good riddance I guess

gabbo

Does anyone in the league carry on the torch of trash talking that he's carried for years now? I mean, he was around when guys like Barkley and Payton were still in the league, and they're two of the best (worst?) when it comes to trash talking.

mjp2417

Banned
People are forgetting just how good Tim Duncan really was in his prime. Those old Spurs teams weren't all that loaded compared to other NBA champions. This is also ignoring the fact that Duncan was still one of the best players on the 2014 championship team at age 38 while KG was a shell of his former self by that point. Duncan was a better player in his prime and he also had much better longevity. Duncan/Garnett isn't a serious debate.

immediately stopped watching the NBA when I saw Hakeem Olajuwon sitting on the bench for the Toronto raptors. That image is burned into my mind.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
People are forgetting just how good Tim Duncan really was in his prime. Those old Spurs teams weren't all that loaded compared to other NBA champions. This is also ignoring the fact that Duncan was still one of the best players on the 2014 championship team at age 38 while KG was a shell of his former self by that point. Duncan was a better player in his prime and he also had much better longevity. Duncan/Garnett isn't a serious debate.

Duncan had better longevity because his playing time was more spread out.

Garnett left the wolves after 12 years, having played 35535 minutes in 927 games. That's more that 38.3 MPG for 12 seasons, for a player who was known for his intensity on the court and as for his ability to guard any position anywhere on the court. Playing defense is way more draining than playing offense. Since then, he played 535 additional games, and 14883 minutes, for brooklyn, the celtics, and the wolves.

It took Duncan 13 years to reach 35579 minutes (and 977 games).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom