• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin O'Leary Drops Out of Leadership Race, Endorses Maxime Bernier

Status
Not open for further replies.

CazTGG

Kevin O’Leary is dropping out of the Conservative leadership race and endorsing Maxime Bernier because he says he can’t win a general election due to lack of support in Quebec.

In a stunning move that will rock the race and solidify Mr. Bernier as the sole frontrunner in the May 27 vote, Mr. O’Leary says he will now put his time and effort into electing Mr. Bernier as leader and helping him beat Justin Trudeau’s Liberals in 2019.

“It’s for the sake of the party that I do this, and the country. Because I can’t deliver Quebec. I can’t win. That’s my opinion. I wish it was different,” he said in an interview with The Globe and Mail at his downtown Toronto office.

SZioIIBxB7QRy.gif

Source: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-for-conservative-leadership/article34818970/

I can't deliver Quebec because I'm a lazy shit and didn't want to learn French...

Alas it looks like the Dragons of Quebec passed on his product.

ezekial45

Banned
Thank God, I was getting worried that he was gonna end up being Canada's Trump. I still worry for you guys, since the wave of Conservativism hit the US, England, and France pretty hard, but I do have hope you Trudeau will make it next year.

Jaeyden

When someone literally says "party before country".

"It’s for the sake of the party that I do this, and the country"

Isn't Max trying to court that same crowd?

Kind of? Bernier is a dim-witted, racist libertarian who wants to bring back the gold standard, use the army to stop immigrants, and end the publicly-funded healthcare system. O'Leary's pitch seemed to be, "I play a millionaire on TV, vote for me!"

vypek

I'm not from Canada but this guy always strikes me as an asshole so I don't think I mind him dropping out of the race.

darscot

Wait I thought he was a sure thing, Trump pulled it off in America so it was a given us Canadians would also elect a complete idiot. Oh wait he never had a hope in hell.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Oh good, too bad the other front runners are still just as bad. I hope they all drop out.

JordanN

Banned
Thank God, I was getting worried that he was gonna end up being Canada's Trump. I still worry for you guys, since the wave of Conservativism hit the US, England, and France pretty hard, but I do have hope you Trudeau will make it next year.

He actually came out against Trump's muslim ban so he isn't that evil.

That said, I rather not have celebrities running in our politics. The fact he acknowledges he wont bother with Quebec means he was never going take his job (and this country) seriously.

Wait I thought he was a sure thing, Trump pulled it off in America so it was a given us Canadians would also elect a complete idiot. Oh wait he never had a hope in hell.

He never broke 25% in any legitimate poll, and the number of people who said they'd never vote for him was, at last check, over 30%. With a preferential ballot, he had very little chance of winning.

Savitar

His was a PR stunt, though he might have hoped for a time that a Trump like miracle could occur until he decided there was no chance.

If lucky a bus will hit him.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
When conservatives talk about things like, "for the sake of the country," who exactly do they speak of? The majority of the voting electorate are center or center-left. Yes, Trudeau and the Liberals won with similar percentages as Harper did in 2011. But as an NDP bother, Trudeau was actually more to the left in many respects than Mulcair was. So Trudeau as PM is less of a clash of ideals for me than the CPC being in power.

CazTGG

When conservatives talk about things like, "for the sake of the country," who exactly do they speak of? The majority of the voting electorate are center or center-left. Yes, Trudeau and the Liberals won with similar percentages as Harper did in 2011. But as an NDP bother, Trudeau was actually more to the left in many respects than Mulcair was. So Trudeau as PM is less of a clash of ideals for me than the CPC being in power.

"For the sake of the country" is right-wing code for "traditional values" and the fight against irrelevance. The CPC's base is shrinking and they know it.

Apathy

There, whoever thought we were going to make the same mistake the americans did need to eat some crow. He couldn't even make it to be the leader let alone the elction

Volimar

How different is Quebec French from France French? Is it just a dialect thing or more like the difference between Mexican and Castilian Spanish?

Brandson

Good that one more candidate who believes in feelings over facts is out.

I still think Erin O'Toole is going to end up being the Conservative leader. He has a chance of having some crossover appeal.

CazTGG

O'Leary apparently sent this letter to his supporters:

How different is Quebec French from France French? Is it just a dialect thing or more like the difference between Mexican and Castilian Spanish?

There's some slang not spoken in France in a similar manner to Brazilian Portuguese. Otherwise, the differences boil down to dialect.

Mimosa97

In written form it's exactly the same language. Even in oral form we can perfectly understand each other with 0 issue except for slang and a few expressions.

Any french person who moves to quebec will be able to understand pretty much everything after a few months and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom