• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin O'Leary Drops Out of Leadership Race, Endorses Maxime Bernier

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

My planned ballot as of right now (tonight's debate should shake this up as Bernier will be in everyone's crosshairs)...

1) Erin O'Toole
2) Lisa Raitt
3) Deepak Obhrai
4) Andrew Saxton
5) Michael Chong
6) Andrew Scheer
7) Chris Alexander
8) Steven Blaney
9) Maxime Bernier
10) Rick Peterson
11) Pierre Lemieux
12) Brad Trost
13) Kellie Leitch

giphy.gif

My planned ballot as of right now (tonight's debate should shake this up as Bernier will be in everyone's crosshairs)...

1) Erin O'Toole
2) Lisa Raitt
3) Deepak Obhrai
4) Andrew Saxton
5) Michael Chong
6) Andrew Scheer
7) Chris Alexander
8) Steven Blaney
9) Maxime Bernier
10) Rick Peterson
11) Pierre Lemieux
12) Brad Trost
13) Kellie Leitch

Remember that you're only allowed to vote up to 10, and that you don't have to fill out all 10 spots!

UberTag

Remember that you're only allowed to vote up to 10, and that you don't have to fill out all 10 spots!
Oh good... then I can leave Leitch off the ballot completely then.
In that case, I'll just vote for these 6.

1) Erin O'Toole
2) Lisa Raitt
3) Deepak Obhrai
4) Andrew Saxton
5) Michael Chong
6) Andrew Scheer

CazTGG

Alternatively, you could look at it like this: he only did the worst of it after he won his majority, and when he tried to be more conservative, he lost the next election. The anti-Muslim garbage really only came up during the 2015 election. Prior to that, he and his party tried pretty desperately to grow their base beyond old white people. Just Google "Jason Kenney rock star" -- they may not have been successful at it, but they were actively courting ethnic groups, in the hopes of breaking the Liberal stranglehold over those voters. He clearly abandoned that strategy in 2015, but I'd say that before then, he was keeping his GOP-style conservatism relatively well-hidden to the number of voters he needed to be successful.

Counter-point: He won a sizable portion of the vote and seats in 2015 (over 30%) and he wasn't able to do much of what he wanted to in terms of rolling back on environmental protection and other right-wing policies because the Liberal and NDP MPs limited the very worst policies proposed by the Harper minority, to the point where a coalition was considered in 2008 between the two. The fact that he did not enact hard-on-crime policies, his attacks on Canada's Muslim community or his decisions on any other topics until forming a majority does not make Harper a centrist so much as ignores the fact that his repugnant views were always there and they always informed his decisions when he was able to act on them. As an MP, voted against the legalization of gay marriage in 2005, proposed an amendment to the bill, the Civil Marriage Act, to preserve "the definition of traditional marriage" which, until shockingly recent, was a position of the party and said he would have revisited the bill if he formed a government. In addition, Harper's islamophobia is not a recent development: In 2007, Harper was complaining over Elections Canada's decision to allow a person with their face covered to vote so long as they presented ID, something which would later see him create the infamous niqab ban and the CPC support Letich and Alexander's "barabric cultural pratices hotline", which is the point i'm trying to make: However much success he had at reining in the Trosts of his party, pretending that Harper is a centrist is a gross revisionism of who Harper was and what he did.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Oh good... then I can leave Leitch off the ballot completely then.
In that case, I'll just vote for these 6.

1) Erin O'Toole
2) Lisa Raitt
3) Deepak Obhrai
4) Andrew Saxton
5) Michael Chong
6) Andrew Scheer

Put Chong #1. He's basically a Liberal.

subrock

1) Erin O'Toole
2) Lisa Raitt
3) Deepak Obhrai
4) Andrew Saxton
5) Michael Chong
6) Andrew Scheer
7) Chris Alexander
8) Steven Blaney
9) Maxime Bernier
10) Rick Peterson
11) Pierre Lemieux
12) Brad Trost
13) Kellie Leitch

Can I humbly request that you move Leitch down a few spots on that list?

UberTag

Put Chong #1. He's basically a Liberal.
I don't disagree with you on that. I just don't care much for Chong as a public speaker and I'm actually structuring my ballot so there's someone running the Conservatives I'd consider voting for as a check on Trudeau. I'm pretty fluid in my political leanings... have voted for all three parties at various times in the past decade. That said, there's a reason I've got most of the anti-immigration/social conservatives off my ballot. That's not my racket.

Perhaps Chong will step up in future debates and impress me. I like Raitt the most to be honest but don't believe she can win with the likes of O'Toole and Scheer carrying more momentum.

UberTag

Bumping Saxton up to 3rd on my ballot (which arrived in the mail today) after tonight's debate.
Was amusing to see them all gang up on Bernier now just like they have O'Leary in debates past.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Let's not get that silly.
This is Chong's "please vote for me" that I got today:

I will address climate change and fund those tax cuts with a conservative plan to price carbon that passes all revenues back to Canadians with deep income tax cuts.

I am the only credible candidate on tax cuts. Maxime Bernier is proposing tax cuts, but he will fund them by cutting government spending by one-third. We have seen Conservatives try this before, most recently in the Ontario provincial election. There the provincial conservatives proposed massive spending cuts and snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in an election they should have won.

Canadians will not accept a one-third cut to government programs. We will hand the election to Justin Trudeau’s Liberals if our party opts for Bernier’s plan.

While Bernier wants to eliminate supply management and other candidates are using great energy taking his bait, Canadians are not preoccupied with the price of milk. They are seriously concerned, however, with the price of housing.

I am the only candidate with a plan to lower the cost of housing. I will private CMHC’s mortgage insurance program – an intrusive government program that has the effect of keeping housing prices artificially high.

I will bring in real democratic reform by making parties more open and transparent. I will give power back to the grassroots to make their decisions on who represents them, rather than a cabal of insiders in Ottawa, and I will give power back to individual MPs to represent their constituents and not the party leader.

Sounds pretty Liberal to me!

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You guys signing up to the Cons to vote for "a sensible candidate" are making a dumb mistake, vote for Bernier if you want to see them lose, don't give them a chance to a have a sensible puppet. If they win, the people behind the leader will be the same as before, don't fall for the dumb marketing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You guys signing up to the Cons to vote for "a sensible candidate" are making a dumb mistake, vote for Bernier if you want to see them lose, don't give them a chance to a have a sensible puppet, if they win the people behind the leader will be the same as before, don't fall for the dumb marketing.
There isn't like some weird secret PAC billionaires backing candidates here though. Also, because of parliamentary politics, a shitty leader would go down quickly - just look at the stupidity of the recent Australian governments. That's probably the only advantage of a Westminster style democracy over a Republican one (even if the Queen is somehow our leader :p).

CazTGG

This is Chong's "please vote for me" that I got today:

Sounds pretty Liberal to me!

Socially, he's more to the left of the party and one could never claim he doesn't stand up for what he believes, but he's still pretty right-wing on many issues (he supported the niqab ban, for one), something that's rather evident with his proposed tax reform, but that goes to show how radical some of the CPC's leadership candidates have been. Compared to the rhetoric of Leitch and Trost, anyone would look moderate in comparison, much less a Red Tory like Chong.

Also, even if he wanted to, there's no way he could switch parties like Belinda Stronach did given all the criticism he's thrown at Trudeau.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Socially, he's more to the left of the party and one could never claim he doesn't stand up for what he believes, but he's still pretty right-wing on many issues (he supported the niqab ban, for one), something that's rather evident with his proposed tax reform, but that goes to show how radical some of the CPC's leadership candidates have been. Compared to the rhetoric of Leitch and Trost, anyone would look moderate in comparison, much less a Red Tory like Chong.

Also, even if he wanted to, there's no way he could switch parties like Belinda Stronach did given all the criticism he's thrown at Trudeau.
Yeah. But in a fantasy land where Chong wins the leadership and goes off against Trudeau, I probably wouldn't mind either winning since in my mind they're in the same political orbit as each other. lol

Sushi Nao

Honestly I think Canadian conservatives will appear as centrist as possible in order to get elected and then immediately team up with Farage, Trump and Putin in order to parcel off Canadian resources and public money.

Cause really, what would people actually do?

"Oh you lied about your policies"
"Blah, changing times, work together, blah"

You'd sure as shit get a lot of people telling non-conservatives that it's actually good for them, we see that shit every day

Slime

Banned
This feels like Trump dropping out and endorsing Ben Carson, to be perfectly honest.

I don't feel any better about this. Bernier is a fucking moron.

lupinko

Centrism involves believing marijuana is worse than tobacco and constantly demonizing Canada's Muslim community? His environmental policy was assuredly right-wing with its massive deregulation.

I always found it amusing that the Muslim community that Jason Kenney heavily courted among other minority groups to give Harper his 2011 majority was used as a scapegoat when 2015 was crumbling for the CPC.

So much for the faux-big tent CPC Harper envisioned.

Sushi Nao

I always found it amusing that the Muslim community that Jason Kenney heavily courted among other minority groups to give Harper his 2011 majority was used as a scapegoat when 2015 was crumbling for the CPC.

Simmering white supremacy will always be a potentially exploitable political movement in pretty much any British colony

CazTGG

This feels like Trump dropping out and endorsing Ben Carson, to be perfectly honest.

I don't feel any better about this. Bernier is a fucking moron.

If it makes you feel any better, Bernier at least has more energy than Carson.

I joined the CPC to vote against O'Leary and Leitch. Now it looks like I won't have to worry about them! Which is nice.

Looking through their other candidates... sigh. It's an underwhelming group to be sure. Of the people with the necessary name recognition to be competitive in an election, I suppose Rait, O'Toole and Chong are the least unlikable?.

I've read that it was his decision to go the nationalistic route in a failed gamble to save his job. The CPC knew that he stood no chance against Trudeau long before campaigning started, and wanted to run on more of a 'we'll get 'em next time, folks' angle. Harper disagreed, did what he did, and created a deep divide within the party as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom