• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kevin Randleman, Former UFC Champ & Pride Veteran, Dead at 44

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Former-UFC-Champ-Pride-Veteran-Kevin-Randleman-Dies-at-44-100141

https://twitter.com/jeremybotter/status/697980484207251458

UFC and Pride Fighting Championships veteran Kevin Randleman has died at 44 years old.

Wes Sims, who once trained alongside Randleman at Mark Coleman’s Team Hammer House, confirmed the news to Sherdog.com on Thursday evening via text message. Bleacher Report’s Jeremy Botter revealed on Twitter that the fighter went to the hospital with pneumonia and died of heart failure.

A two-time NCAA national champion wrestler at Ohio State University, Randleman began his mixed martial arts career in 1996 under the Universal Vale Tudo Fighting banner in Brazil. He made his Octagon debut in 1997, taking a unanimous decision over Maurice Smith at UFC 19. Two bouts later, he captured the promotion’s heavyweight title with a five-round verdict over Pete Williams at UFC 23. Randleman defended the belt once before losing it to Randy Couture at UFC 28.

Randleman made his Pride debut in 2002 and compiled a 4-7 record with the Japanese promotion over the next three-plus years, including wins over Mirko Filipovic and Murilo Rua. He also notably squared off with the likes of Quinton Jackson, Kazushi Sakuraba and Mauricio Rua during his tenure.

Known as “The Monster,” Randleman last fought on May 7, 2011, losing to Baga Agaev via first-round armbar at an event in Russia.

Very sad. I will always remember his insane suplex on Fedor:

BE9UMCC.gif

One of the most impressive physical feats I've ever seen (Fedor weighed around 236 lbs).

And he also knocked out Mirko Cro Cop when the latter was arguably in his prime:

UxU0T0C.gif

R.I.P.

smurfx

get some go again
back in 2007 he nearly died due to a staph infection too. wonder if that left him in poor health.

back in 2007 he nearly died due to a staph infection too. wonder if that left him in poor health.

Yeah I remember that. There was a nasty picture of it literally leaving a hole in his body.

well, it was pneumonia plus a heart failure after all.

It's well known that many Pride fighters were on PEDs. This is because they were explicitly told in their contracts that they would not be drug tested - wink wink, nudge nudge. There's a very strong chance that Randleman was juicing during the Pride days, and that could have attributed to his heart failure...

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
So young and in that kind of shape, why the hell am I still alive?!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Pneumonia is no joke. My father was in the hospital for weeks when he caught it over a decade ago and nearly died because of it.

VoxPop

Loved Randleman. The epitome of blacksplosiveness. That suplex was a thing of beauty. It's a shame he went on to lose that fight just a minute or two later. He wasn't the greatest fighter but he was exciting as hell. The staph infection not too long ago and him being a little crazy (The non human urine he gave to the athletic commission as his sample) just seemed like a downhill trend. Thank you for the years of entertainment. RIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom