• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KickBeat |OT| Feel the beat, kick asses

I think it's a neat game, my main complaint though is that on harder difficulties where the button prompts are gone, it's hard to distinguish which fighter you're suppose to hit next, especially when you have a 3 blue-guy sequence coming up. The flashes tell you who to hit, which is helpful but not helpful enough. And after the first blue guy, most often it's hard to figure out which guy to hit after that.

But other than that, I found my time with the game to be more positive with each hour added to the playtime. There is a learning curve in "reading" the notes and some of the timing may sound a little off at times, but it's a very original game in the rhythm genre.

I think the game is best played on Vita since the buttons are very close to each other. And cause it was made for Vita anyway before it became a cross-buy title.

Also, I think the whole unlocking business goes a little too far. The survival mode should be unlocked when beating any difficulty and the use your own music thing should be a feature from the start

The blue guys are pretty tough on Expert and even more so Master, where their direction is randomized AND the white outline for the next enemy goes away, so it's a tough sight-read every time they come up. You have to be able to detect slight differences in their progress along the movement arc...or have really fast reflexes as they move in to attack.

Agree on the unlocking for Beat Your Music. Survival Mode was intended to be an "end game" mode that provided a challenge for people who had already mastered every song on every difficulty. Maybe you are right about it, too, though.

Was excited to play this today, but...

September 11th, 2013 (EU)

:|

Hey, at least you guys get it in a week. Imagine how the Asian gamers feel.

Anyways, this was my most hyped digital title and it certainly lives up!

Already finished Lee's campaign and it was thoroughly enjoyable. I say thoroughly because his VA just felt weak compared to everyone else's VA. He's like one of those bad dubbing characters in JRPGs. Other than that, it was pretty fun.

The Track Generator also does quite a good job too. It was able to produce levels based on all kinds of songs. Worked well with Coldplay's Viva la via, Person of Interest's Judgement and Miracle of Sound's Borderlands song. Guess this will easily work with game OSTs like Stealth Inc and Hotline Miami's music :D

All in all, love this game!

This became an insta-buy as soon as I saw that Pendulum, Blue Stahli, Celldweller, and Voicians contributed to the soundtrack. Big fan of all those acts/artists. Can't wait to give it a whirl later tonight.

whitehawk

Banned
Tried the demo, and I love it. (Especially the song included in the demo). I'm pretty good with Rhythm games, so I was able to jump to expert (that's the second hardest one right?) almost right away. Still haven't beaten the whole level on expert, but I get about 3/4 of the way through. I'm sure I'll beat it soon. I can see this game will have quite a learning curve, but that's a good thing. It's to be expected with any rhythm game. I can play nearly any DDR song on Heavy mode, but it took years of playing that game to get to that level. Same with guitar hero, but to a lesser extent.

I'll be buying this game soon. Looking forward to it! Only thing I'm confused about is why there is a story. Seems unnecessary. Though perhaps the full game will reveal that it was a good idea.
I think it's a neat game, my main complaint though is that on harder difficulties where the button prompts are gone, it's hard to distinguish which fighter you're suppose to hit next, especially when you have a 3 blue-guy sequence coming up. The flashes tell you who to hit, which is helpful but not helpful enough. And after the first blue guy, most often it's hard to figure out which guy to hit after that.

But other than that, I found my time with the game to be more positive with each hour added to the playtime. There is a learning curve in "reading" the notes and some of the timing may sound a little off at times, but it's a very original game in the rhythm genre.

I think the game is best played on Vita since the buttons are very close to each other. And cause it was made for Vita anyway before it became a cross-buy title.

Also, I think the whole unlocking business goes a little too far. The survival mode should be unlocked when beating any difficulty and the use your own music thing should be a feature from the start
I'm not sure that's a valid complaint. I think you're just new to the game. I'm sure if you give it some time you'll have no trouble knowing which enemies will be striking. You have to pay attention to where they are positioned. They will always be directly above, below or beside you before they strike. Also watch for the highlight just before the attack. I'm still getting used to it myself.

edit: I do have one suggestion! The camera pans around the play area ever so slightly. I think you should allow players to completely disable this and have a static camera directly behind the stage.

Got my first crack at story mode in the demo after completing training. Just got murdered at my first attempt at story mode. Didn't expect such a difference in speed.

This is my experience exactly. I'm not great at rythm games but I do enjoy them. I've been looking forward to this game issince I did my write up on the announcement. I put a TON of time into Elite Beat Agents and KickBeat looked like it would scratch just the right itch. But man, the demo kicked my ass. Now I'm hesitant to dip into my very limited gaming budget if the game is going to destroy me as soon as the training wheels come off. I'll give it a few more plays before I decide, but for now it just feels like I just don't have what it takes to play KickBeat, which is really disappointing considering how pumped I was for it.

Tried the demo, and I love it. (Especially the song included in the demo). I'm pretty good with Rhythm games, so I was able to jump to expert (that's the second hardest one right?) almost right away. Still haven't beaten the whole level on expert, but I get about 3/4 of the way through. I'm sure I'll beat it soon. I can see this game will have quite a learning curve, but that's a good thing. It's to be expected with any rhythm game. I can play nearly any DDR song on Heavy mode, but it took years of playing that game to get to that level. Same with guitar hero, but to a lesser extent.

I'll be buying this game soon. Looking forward to it! Only thing I'm confused about is why there is a story. Seems unnecessary. Though perhaps the full game will reveal that it was a good idea.I'm not sure that's a valid complaint. I think you're just new to the game. I'm sure if you give it some time you'll have no trouble knowing which enemies will be striking. You have to pay attention to where they are positioned. They will always be directly above, below or beside you before they strike. Also watch for the highlight just before the attack. I'm still getting used to it myself.

edit: I do have one suggestion! The camera pans around the play area ever so slightly. I think you should allow players to completely disable this and have a static camera directly behind the stage.

Hey, thanks for checking out the game! Glad to hear you liked it...and glad you liked the music, too. We had a really good experience working with Dan Voicians - he basically built the two songs almost from scratch to our specifications and made some edits as needed, all on a very demanding schedule. I'm really hoping the exposure in the game gets his work some more attention.

The question about the story is an excellent one that no one has asked me before. The reason I felt a story was necessary was that it reinforced the human aspect of the in-game characters. One of the game's major selling points is that it has full 3D animated characters as action cues rather than abstract ones like bars, arrows, etc. But what is the point if they are just a lifeless prop in another form? I wanted the change from abstract representation to human character to mean something, not just to be a visual change. Humans all have stories. So we created the story to enhance the humanity of the characters, to bolster the unique selling point of 3D characters as action cues and further differentiate them from the abstract forms they replaced.

The camera suggestion is a good one. It's the way it is now because it does make the playfields feel more alive and active, creating a better first impression for most people playing the game. But after you've played the game a while, don't want to be visually impressed anymore, and just want to focus on the rhythm mechanics, you should be able to go and turn it off. Makes sense.

This is my experience exactly. I'm not great at rythm games but I do enjoy them. I've been looking forward to this game issince I did my write up on the announcement. I put a TON of time into Elite Beat Agents and KickBeat looked like it would scratch just the right itch. But man, the demo kicked my ass. Now I'm hesitant to dip into my very limited gaming budget if the game is going to destroy me as soon as the training wheels come off. I'll give it a few more plays before I decide, but for now it just feels like I just don't have what it takes to play KickBeat, which is really disappointing considering how pumped I was for it.

It's normal to fail the first few times while your brain rewires itself to account for new controls, new enemy movement patterns, new timing cues, etc. It's like when you picked up Super Mario Bros for the first time with no platformer experience and died repeatedly on level 1-1, which is really not that difficult in an absolute sense. Once you get the core mechanics down with some repetition, though, future levels take a lot less repetition to pass (though each jump in difficulty level does this process again to some degree.)

KickBeat is a game that's much different from others in many respects, and it will take a few failures on the first go-round to get accustomed to it. It's not like an FPS where you can pick up a new one and be competent at it from the first minute because you played something in the same genre before.

KickBeat also doesn't coddle you or start you out in an absurdly easy mode where you can't help but pass. Why not? Because it's training you to be a badass. Your skill improves much faster when you have a real challenge. And the faster your skill improves, the faster you can get to the best part of the game, which is Expert/Master mode, using both left and right hands, no button icons on the ground, just enemies coming in fast and furious and your character going nuts beating the crap out of them as fast as they come in, rapid button presses matching the fast, loud, aggressive tone of the music. It's that feeling that you get nailing a difficult guitar solo in Expert mode in Rock Band, or stomping out some crazy sequence of arrows in DDR.

And then there's the fact that the wrong song went into the demo (was supposed to be Fighters) - this is actually the final song in the story mode. Preceding ones are easier, with far fewer red enemies.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Oh, I unlocked Master Difficulty and it removes the flashy character thing, so I think I'm screwed, lol

VanWinkle

Really liking this game a lot. You have to do some trial and error with custom songs - some just don't work very well unfortunately - but when they work, it's brilliant.

Really liking this game a lot. You have to do some trial and error with custom songs - some just don't work very well unfortunately - but when they work, it's brilliant.

Yeah...some are duds, and unfortunately a lot of older music falls into that category, because the drummers didn't use click tracks and thus don't keep the kind of consistent, precise beat that the track generator requires. And then there are the songs with tempo changes, long periods of silence or spoken word, etc. The track generator doesn't like to leave big gaps in enemies, so it normalizes the quiet parts and starts generating based on relative loudness, which can produce jarring results.

But all in all I think it does add a lot of enjoyment to the game via the tracks that do work. As such, it's the first-ever beat-matching game that has a worthwhile music import function. But according to pocketgamer's review, no one really wants that because Vita memory cards are too small/expensive to store a whole music library, so it's not even worth looking at for the review.

I'm really hoping that the game succeeds despite the mediocre Metacritic score, because there's so much room for feature additions and such, not just with the track generator but the game as a whole.

In an ideal world, I'd get to make a sequel with fewer mechanics limitations (such as combining hold+release with red or blue enemies), more hand-scripted music, dynamic staging (instead of just the mid-song slo-mos, there'd be transitions from one location in a level to another, like jumping down from a balcony to fight on a lower level, to make the game feel more like a kung fu film), more animation variety, a dueling mechanic (for 1v1 fights, rather than just 1 hit per enemy all the time), multiplayer, etc. But realistically, the low reviews mean no sequel, maybe no ports either. Plus I owe my boss a magnum of good wine if it ends up below 70 :/

Skilletor

I like the game a lot. I did the training and then got bodied in the first story mode. The speed took a couple games to adjust to. After that, it's all been gravy. Really digging playing this with some nice headphones on the Vita.

Oh, I unlocked Master Difficulty and it removes the flashy character thing, so I think I'm screwed, lol

And it randomizes the enemy direction so you can't memorize the direction in lieu of the indicator.

I figured that there have been people playing rhythm action games for over a decade now, and there's a pretty big segment that are really good. I mean, I would 5-star songs on Expert in RB3 and not even end up in the top 50% of scores. So the game has to offer a good challenge at the upper end of difficulty.

I like the game a lot. I did the training and then got bodied in the first story mode. The speed took a couple games to adjust to. After that, it's all been gravy. Really digging playing this with some nice headphones on the Vita.

Headphones are the way to go. Or a Big Jambox (connected via line-in, not laggy Bluetooth). The Vita speakers are good for what they are, but you need a bigger dynamic range to hear all the little details that build a stronger connection to the music. In particular, you might miss the musical justification for a lot of the double-taps if you're playing with built-in speakers.

it takes awhile to understand the game. i thought it was going to be easy with the tutorial. then i started normal and forgot everything i learned in the tutorial. I like some of the songs as well too. will try out my own later.

It's normal to fail the first few times while your brain rewires itself to account for new controls, new enemy movement patterns, new timing cues, etc. It's like when you picked up Super Mario Bros for the first time with no platformer experience and died repeatedly on level 1-1, which is really not that difficult in an absolute sense. Once you get the core mechanics down with some repetition, though, future levels take a lot less repetition to pass (though each jump in difficulty level does this process again to some degree.)

KickBeat is a game that's much different from others in many respects, and it will take a few failures on the first go-round to get accustomed to it. It's not like an FPS where you can pick up a new one and be competent at it from the first minute because you played something in the same genre before.

KickBeat also doesn't coddle you or start you out in an absurdly easy mode where you can't help but pass. Why not? Because it's training you to be a badass. Your skill improves much faster when you have a real challenge. And the faster your skill improves, the faster you can get to the best part of the game, which is Expert/Master mode, using both left and right hands, no button icons on the ground, just enemies coming in fast and furious and your character going nuts beating the crap out of them as fast as they come in, rapid button presses matching the fast, loud, aggressive tone of the music. It's that feeling that you get nailing a difficult guitar solo in Expert mode in Rock Band, or stomping out some crazy sequence of arrows in DDR.

And then there's the fact that the wrong song went into the demo (was supposed to be Fighters) - this is actually the final song in the story mode. Preceding ones are easier, with far fewer red enemies.

Well it does make me feel better knowing that it won't be quite that much of a difficulty spike in the full game. Like I said, I'll definitely give it a few more chances because I really want to love this game.

Foshy

I love rhythm games, will get this next week. I've had my eyes on this since it was first revealed, nice to see that it's finally coming out.

VanWinkle

Yeah...some are duds, and unfortunately a lot of older music falls into that category, because the drummers didn't use click tracks or drum machines and thus don't keep the kind of consistent, precise beat that the track generator requires. And then there are the songs with tempo changes, long periods of silence or spoken word, etc. The track generator doesn't like to leave big gaps in enemies, so it normalizes the quiet parts and starts generating based on relative loudness, which can produce jarring results.

But all in all I think it does add a lot of enjoyment to the game via the tracks that do work. As such, it's the first-ever beat-matching game that has a worthwhile music import function. But according to pocketgamer's review, no one really wants that because Vita memory cards are too small/expensive to store a whole music library, so it's not even worth looking at for the review.

I'm really hoping that the game succeeds despite the mediocre Metacritic score, because there's so much room for feature additions and such, not just with the track generator but the game as a whole.

In an ideal world, I'd get to make a sequel with fewer mechanics limitations (such as combining hold+release with red or blue enemies), more hand-scripted music, dynamic staging (instead of just the mid-song slo-mos, there'd be transitions from one location in a level to another, like jumping down from a balcony to fight on a lower level, to make the game feel more like a kung fu film), more animation variety, a dueling mechanic (for 1v1 fights, rather than just 1 hit per enemy all the time), multiplayer, etc. But realistically, the low reviews mean no sequel, maybe no ports either. Plus I owe my boss a magnum of good wine if it ends up below 70 :/

Well, it may not mean a whole lot, but I'm looking at the PS Store on the Vita, and Kickbeat has about as many ratings as Rayman Legends (released the same day). That's pretty darn good, I think. I hope it does well, too. I could see some awesome added features/mechanics, like you said.

ZeroAKA

It took me about 5 tries, but I finally beat the demo stage on normal mode. Now off to buy the full version. :D

Edit: Is there cross-save between the Vita and PS3 versions? And are the trophy lists shared or separate?

It took me about 5 tries, but I finally beat the demo stage on normal mode. Now off to buy the full version. :D

Edit: Is there cross-save between the Vita and PS3 versions? And are the trophy lists shared or separate?

No cross-save, separate trophies. Cross-save would have been nice, but the PS3 version was a pretty last-minute thing.

hitmon

I ended up buying the game. The jump in difficulty between training and story mode is no where near as bad as the demo. I completed story mode for the first character and I found it to be an enjoyable experience. I'm enjoying the game even more with the custom songs. The only problem so far is the limited space I have on my memory card.

You know what? After playing beat your music mode and using a blue guard model for kicking ass for the lolz, I couldnt help but think, that new character models would be grand. Maybe crossover DLC like Kat from Gravity Rush or some SS characters.

Card Boy

Banned
Hmm, I guess rhythm games are dead after all.

hugemistake.jpg

Maybe but your game just sounds too much like DiveKick. I even thought this thread was a duplicate DiveKick OT.

Maybe but your game just sounds too much like DiveKick. I even thought this thread was a duplicate DiveKick OT.

Don't know what to say about that other than we've had the name for more than a year and a half... (insert office space michael bolton quote)

alright, demo convinced me, I'm buying the game, not really my kind of music, but I like the gameplay enough to just get it, the price less than $10 certainly help, I just hope I like the rest of the song and the track generator works. :)

I hope eurobeat song like my initial d collection works great lol

whitehawk

Banned
One other note.

If you ever do release a patch, please take away the brightness restriction. I hate it when Vita games restrict brightness to 80%. Why is it so common? Does Sony recommend it or something? I mostly play at home, so I'd rather take full brightness over battery life.

alright, demo convinced me, I'm buying the game, not really my kind of music, but I like the gameplay enough to just get it, the price less than $10 certainly help, I just hope I like the rest of the song and the track generator works. :)

I hope eurobeat song like my initial d collection works great lol

Sweet! If you have any trouble with the import, let me know. I can figure out the beat settings, which you can then just type in to get the track generated properly.

One other note.

If you ever do release a patch, please take away the brightness restriction. I hate it when Vita games restrict brightness to 80%. Why is it so common? Does Sony recommend it or something? I mostly play at home, so I'd rather take full brightness over battery life.

I'm not sure of the reasoning behind it. I'll ask the engineers to see what the issues are and get it added onto the list of potential changes if it's not problematic.

jwk94

There's no cross-save, only cross buy. It was a data size limitation thing. I know i really wanted it after having to unlock everything on both games over the past week...

Thanks. It certainly does take getting used to. I recommend starting out using both hands (directional + face buttons) because playing with just face buttons is nearly impossible at high difficulty levels. You'll have to do things like double-tap 3 simultaneous enemies, which is easier if you double-tap 2 with one hand and 1 with the other. Getting in the habit early really helps.

Kind of discouraging that some reviewers are only spending a couple hours with the game and writing it off after finishing what is essentially just the noob training, and giving up when they fail a couple times on the second-easiest difficulty level.

Dang, oh well. I'm fine with playing it twice for now.

Aytrial

Heads up, KickBeat is now available for download via the European Vita PSN store!

829MB file size for those that need to make space.

Aytrial

I need to pick this up soon.
It was a blast to play when I tried at Comic Con!

My fave character is MarkMan, but he's kinda complicated to use. Maybe after some practice, I'll be rocking with him. lol

Wrong game buddy!

Buy KickBeat anyway, it's awesome and I'm having a blast on Expert.

Aytrial

First 5 days of sales are in. Let's just say that we won't be doing anything original for a while.

Just noticed this post after having a chuckle with PaulExcellent's stuff up.

It's really disheartening news as it's a great game, but I feel that not many people actually know about it. Hell, I didn't know about it either until I caught wind of it in the VitaGAF thread about a month ago. I hope it's a slow burn, but from a selfish perspective, I'm at least glad I got to experience KickBeat even if we don't see a sequel of sorts.

sakipon

Tried the demo from the European store. Yeah, that's really difficult. I guess I'll buy the game later trusting there's easier songs to get started with, but it does give a vibe that this is for gamers who're already good with rhythm games.

Tried the demo from the European store. Yeah, that's really difficult. I guess I'll buy the game later trusting there's easier songs to get started with, but it does give a vibe that this is for gamers who're already good with rhythm games.

I'd say it's more for people who are willing to fail a few times as they get used to it.

RE_Player

First 5 days of sales are in. Let's just say that we won't be doing anything original for a while.

That sucks. I'm having a really good time with it. That said I will continue to buy any and all tables you put out for Zen Pinball. Hope you will get in a position to try some more original stuff or refine some of the Kickbeat ideas.

After playing the demo, this game isnt for the faint hearted. Im gettting my ass kicked. will defo buy.

I'd say it's more for people who are willing to fail a few times as they get used to it.

Im totally shit at this, but I can see when it clicks, its going to CLICK. That said, going by the above track list.....lets say im looking forward to being able to import my own songs. Cant wait what something like this is going to play like....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYnF0Fo5jmE

Top Bottom