• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kirby's Return to Dream Land |OT| 6+ Years in the Making

goldenenergy said:
I think the original's better (mostly for aesthetic reasons).

If it helps, I also prefer the original Mario games over the Super Mario All-Stars versions.
I think the original's better for a few reasons.
- Graphics. The GBA version for some reason has freakishly huge sprites, therefore making everything seem a little slower. For instalce, look at this boss fight in Kirby's Adventure versus the same boss fight in the remake. Also, not to mention some of the special 3D effects the NES game used that didn't make it into the GBA game.
- Music. That's subjective, though. Kirby music's always good.

The GBA version has a better frame rate, though, and nice graphics in general. Honestly, it's definitely worth playing both versions, IMO, because they're both quite a bit different from one another.

Jzero

Kard8p3 said:
Do you have to get all the gears to get to the second section or do they only unlock challenge levels?
you can go to any section of the ship but they will only open if you have enough gears.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Saw some dude playing this today. Can't wait for my copy to arrive, screw waiting for the EU date. I'll play the crap out of it solo first then try some coop with my girl. Reviews make it promising for me and I'm itching for some good 2D platforming!!

Amir0x

Banned
Whenever someone gets this, let me know about the difficulty if you can as a favor. I don't want to risk another Kirby game that is designed for infants like Epic Yarn. Kirby games are always fairly easy, but I do have a limit. Kind of curious about this one since it seems to be aligning to old school values of Kirby again.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Amir0x said:
Whenever someone gets this, let me know about the difficulty if you can as a favor. I don't want to risk another Kirby game that is designed for infants like Epic Yarn. Kirby games are always fairly easy, but I do have a limit. Kind of curious about this one since it seems to be aligning to old school values of Kirby again.

Did you end up playing Mass Attack? The No Damage runs for 'Gold Stars' can be quite challenging in the later worlds.

Amir0x said:
I'd say go for it. Played the first two worlds so far, and it's not like Epic Yarn at all when it comes to difficulty. Even within the first level, you can encounter threats like scrolling rooms that'll hurt you if you're not fast enough, and they only get harder as the game progresses. It really is old-school Kirby.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Ultimoo said:
this is so so wrong.

superstar or bust.

The only thing KA could use from KSS to make it even better is the Megaton Punch minigame and multiplayer. KSS might have more powers and more moves per power, but for some reason it doesn't feel as satisfying to play. I don't really like the visuals too, don't know why. Finally, I don't like how the game is cut in several subgames for no reasons. Okay, the Treasure Hunt one had a different structure, but then, it was boring. I don't see the point in putting that kind of exploration in a Kirby game, and finding a treasure is never satisfying. Also, KA is the fastest Kirby I've ever played (with Epic Yarn and Dreamland 3 being the slowest). I hope the Wii game isn't disappointing on that front.

In any event, I am right by law and nature, ha!

Kard8p3

Jzero15 said:
you can go to any section of the ship but they will only open if you have enough gears.

No I'm talking about the last two worlds and the real final boss. I thought I read that you needed all the gears to access them so I wanted to make sure in here.

Anyway right now I'm in world 3 and I'm having fun. Obviously it's an easy game but it's still good fun. The difficulty seems like what you'd expect from a traditional Kirby game.

Yuterald

Aeana said:
I am so sad. Big Bean Vine's music is so incredible.

omg thanks for reminding me why Epic Yarn was so fucking awesome. The OST is amazing. Same composer as Wario: Shake It, right? Man, I sooooo want another GoodFeel platformer. I was obsessed with both Shake it & Epic Yarn. Fuck the haters who think the games are too easy, they're the most relaxing GOOD FEEL games you could ever play!

I'm not listening to anything from Return to Dream Land. I'd rather be surprised when I pick the game up at some point.

Jzero

Amir0x said:
It is very easy but it is still very fun.

Amir0x said:
I haven't died too often (normally its being too careless with you abilities and throwing yourself off a cliff) but I come close frequently. Especially with boss/miniboss type characters (best fought with range as up close can be quite dangerous). Envronments will cause some deaths too (squished or the scrolling sections like Why would you do that? was mentioning).

Overall difficulty reminds me of Klonoa. You'll die here and there, but the gameplay and design is engaging enough to where it doesn't get boring.

Judging by how much damage I take now, I think the EX mode will be a decent challenge with cut health and items scarcity.
EDIT:
ReXXXSoprano said:
I picked this up yesterday and I'm having so much fun. Those challenge rooms bring so much extra to the table and I'm just having fun just playing those between stages.
Oh thats right, I haven't even tried these yet.

I picked this up yesterday and I'm having so much fun. Those challenge rooms bring so much extra to the table and I'm just having fun just playing those between stages. I just need to get some more people so I can be Meta Knight in multiplayer.

The series as of late has just been on point. Epic Yarn and Mass Attack being wonderful games as well. However, this is the Kirby game I've been waiting to play. It was definitely worth the wait.

And that Kirby music thread is over...right about nowish.

I just love the music for the Nightmare Demon. Has to be my favorite music from the series that's not Butter Building. So epic.

Teknoman

Anyone know of a good site for official Kirby art/ box art? Looking for stuff to use + thinking of a catchy title for the opening. Maybe the kirby drawing instructions.

SYNTAX182

Easy_D said:
I said wow too! Damn this game is starting to become an absolute must have for me.

Dude, seriously, this track has sold me on this game. I hope to be surprised when I get it that all the tracks are this good.

I'm thinking of picking up this game, but i need to know two things:

- Is there suplex/backdrop and/or fighter?
- how much depth do the abilities have?

Teknoman said:
Anyone know of a good site for official Kirby art/ box art? Looking for stuff to use + thinking of a catchy title for the opening. Maybe the kirby drawing instructions.
You're sure putting in a lot of thought for a thread that'll probably die after 50-100 posts. :p :(

...but check the Kirby Wiki. They have art sprinkled throughout its articles.

Anth0ny

MvmntInGrn said:
I haven't died too often (normally its being too careless with you abilities and throwing yourself off a cliff) but I come close frequently. Especially with boss/miniboss type characters (best fought with range as up close can be quite dangerous). Envronments will cause some deaths too (squished or the scrolling sections like Why would you do that? was mentioning).

Overall difficulty reminds me of Klonoa. You'll die here and there, but the gameplay and design is engaging enough to where it doesn't get boring.

A think an important thing to note here, especially when comparing to Epic Yarn is... you can die. That's a good start.

Sciz

Why would you do that? said:
You're sure putting in a lot of thought for a thread that'll probably die after 50-100 posts. :p :(
The act of building a music appreciation thread is half the fun. If people actually read it, so much the better.

Hylian7

TestOfTide said:
I'm thinking of picking up this game, but i need to know two things:

- Is there suplex/backdrop and/or fighter?
- how much depth do the abilities have?
1. Fighter is in, Suplex is not, however some powers have grab functionality like Suplex did (namely Whip, and a few others)

2. Even more depth than Super Star. The returning ones are pretty much the same as Super Star, but have a new move or two added on. The new ones are all fantastic. I really like Water and Spear.

Goody

So I was feeling really lousy today. I could barely get out of bed and once I did I could barely stand to do anything. But I had errands to run and while I was out, I popped into a GameStop where they had one last copy of the game. So, of course, I bought it.

So I get home, crack open a can of Cheerwine, pop the game in and play the first level. That first level was enough to entirely lift the day's funk off of me. With renewed vigor, I'm going to finish up a paper I have to write and hopefully get to play some more before the night is over.

Teknoman

Music appreciation is under construction, probably wont be up till sometime tomorrow evening.

And...still need to beat Epic Yarn in co-op before we head over to Return.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Augh, all thse music posts are making the wait until after lecture harder (just listened to the Grape Garden post).

The game is right there on my desk waiting to be played. :/

Yuterald said:
omg thanks for reminding me why Epic Yarn was so fucking awesome. The OST is amazing. Same composer as Wario: Shake It, right? Man, I sooooo want another GoodFeel platformer. I was obsessed with both Shake it & Epic Yarn. Fuck the haters who think the games are too easy, they're the most relaxing GOOD FEEL games you could ever play!
That game calmed the nerves during my crunch period/thesis submission period for school last year. Coming home to play it made me smile.

And I wish I could own a hard copy of the soundtrack. It's incredible. I loved Epic Yarn a ton.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Really love this game - and I like how they give most of the powers some variety!

I too prefer Ninja. My top 3 powers are Fighter, Ninja and Cutter.

So can anyone who has finished the game post their save? I'm really interested in playing it, but as I'll only have time to go through it once I'd rather just play it on the harder difficulty straight away!

Artanisix

Game is easy but you'll still come fairly close to dying a lot of the times trying to speed through (which is fun). If you take your sweet, sweet time it's really easy to dodge things. The game is awesome, I'm only on World 3 or whatever and I'm looking forward to EX mode!

Wow, the game started to get really awesome towards the end of World 5 and beyond. I don't really think this is a spoiler, but I'm at
World 6
right now.
While I'm not a huge Kirby fan, I'm finding this game really good, it could end up being my favorite in the series (though the minigames are disappointing...)
Edit: Just played the level
6-5
. I forgot how mean Kirby games can be in its later levels. Amazing fun.

Top Bottom