• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Know someone who needs a cool place in Hollywood? Help a fellow GAF-er out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike

I hope this doesn't count as advertising, cause I'm really in a jam, so I'm turning to GA for help. Feel free to pass this along to any nice, responsible folks you know. My roommate is moving out, and August 1st I'll be on my own. I could get my own place, but I love where I live now, so I'm looking for a roommate. Here's the vital info:

Two-story duplex in the trendy Los Feliz neighborhood of Los Angeles. Really cool, quiet neighbors. Walking distance from TONS of good eateries, groceries, and shops. You'd be renting TWO private rooms: a bedroom, plus a connected office, which has its own private full bathroom! You also have your own private set of stairs in the back. About 300 square feet of your own space alone.

Then, there's also the shared downstairs, including living room, dining room, kitchen with fridge, full bathroom. Again, you will also have a private bath upstairs.

Apartment also has laundry room with washer and dryer set. :)

Your rent would be $950/mo for the bedroom and office.

Now my stuff: Professional full-time, part-time student. Prefer non-smoker, agreeable fellow geek with similar interests (videogames, film, anime). Not really looking for a party animal, but obviously don't mind friends coming by. Looking for professional with steady job. Uh, no weirdos. Probably no pets, unless they're adorable.

Month-to-Month lease, but I expect 2 months notice if you have to leave. Shared internet/cable/utilities. Please contact Mike B at mbendetti@earthlink.net if you're seriously interested right away. Available August 1st. Some pics below:

One of the rooms:
bry1.jpg

bry2.JPG

The second room, which you could use as an office, obviously my roommate's stuff will be gone. :)
m1.jpg

The living room (my roommate is taking the big screen with him, unfortunately)
living1.jpg

living2.jpg

Dining room:
dining1.jpg

dining2.jpg

Kitchen:
kitchen.JPG

I didn't show the 2 full bathrooms, my room, or the laundry room to save bandwith. Thanks for looking!

Flynn

I can vouch for Mike.

Not only is he a good guy, but he's also my next-door neighbor.

Spread the word and help keep our house under Geek control!

Mike

Not bad for the neighborhood, and considering it's two rooms you're renting. It's near Los Feliz Blvd and Griffith Park. :)

Lil' Dice

Banned
Los Feliz is a nice area. If it's up on the hills it's one of the more pleasant areas of Los Angele/San Fernando Valley.
Only minutes from E3!!1

Fifty

I'm moving to Silver Lake in the fall. :)

If I didn't already have a place I'd contact you. It sounds nice. Got any exterior shots?

Good luck finding someone.

Mike

Thanks, Fifty. Silverlake is a cool neighborhood too! I'll definintely look over there if I wind up having to get a single. :(

Oh, and I would do exterior shots but am a bit leery of crazy internet stalkers. It looks very nice outside though. It's a standalone house that's very charming. Uh, no offense to the crazy internet stalkers of the world.

Lil' Dice

Banned
Fifty said:
I'm moving to Silver Lake in the fall. :)

If I didn't already have a place I'd contact you. It sounds nice. Got any exterior shots?

Good luck finding someone.

If you can somehow bak out of your housing contract you should.
Silver Lake is all sorts of ghetto....

xsarien

daedsiluap
If the timing weren't so horribly off, I'd give it a thought or two. But such as it is, unless you can magically find me a job in California, I have to stick to my original time table of "I'd like to move out there, let me build up a 'I can live off of this for about a year unemployed in LA' fund first."

(Although if you'd like to call that bluff, let me know.)

Flynn

Lil' Dice said:
If you can somehow bak out of your housing contract you should.
Silver Lake is all sorts of ghetto....

That's crazy talk.

Edit: Especially coming from a guy with a City of God avatar. Silverlake is no favela.

Mike

Well, granted, parts of Silverlake are kinda sketchy, but for the most part it's a great place to live.

Lil' Dice

Banned
Flynn said:
That's crazy talk.

Edit: Especially coming from a guy with a City of God avatar. Silverlake is no favela.

Maybe it's just the street where my gf/s cousin lives, but having people shot by AK47s around the block from your place is not the type of activities i'd like in my hood.

I used to live in San Bernardino, who per capita has a higher crime rate than anywhere in LA, now i'm older, wiser and smart enough to appreciate the peace and quiet of Burbank....

Seth C

Wow, $950. I pay $450 for a two bedroom apartment (2 bedrooms, living room, kitchen, bathroom). That includes utilities.

AeroGod

Holy shit 950 dollars a month. LOL. And the walls arnt even made of gold, just regular plaster. Ive had the wrong impression all along.

Granted, ive never had to live in an apartment so i dont really have experience with the condition/pricing, but WTH anyways.

Mike

Ah, yeah, prices are definitely higher here in LA, especially if you want to live in a nicer neighborhood like Los Feliz.

Fifty

Well the place I'd be staying at in Silver Lake is anything but "ghetto"

(Does anyone know how far it is from Los Feliz to Culver City?)

xsarien

daedsiluap
Mike said:
Oh, and I would do exterior shots but am a bit leery of crazy internet stalkers. It looks very nice outside though. It's a standalone house that's very charming. Uh, no offense to the crazy internet stalkers of the world.

Well, that's fair, but how do we know you're not a serial killer? ;)

Lil' Dice

Banned
Fifty said:
Well the place I'd be staying at in Silver Lake is anything but "ghetto"

(Does anyone know how far it is from Los Feliz to Culver City?)

Look, i'm not saying 'your' place is ghetto, it's just that after living in a shit hole of a city for 15 years i can recognize a less than desirable neighborhood.
Just make sure not to let the cholos know what you have in your car/home.

The good news is that the artsy fartsy community is moving in and driving the prices up, meaning that the undesirables are being sequestered about the city.
Then again you could have a million $$ house on the hills, which despite being nice, are only a few hundred yards from the barrio.

Oh, and Los Feliz is about a 20-30 minute drive to Culver City without traffic. On a regular day it'll take you anywhere from 45-60 minutes.

Fifty

Thanks for the tips, and sorry if I'm derailing this thread. I've got to move to LA for work, and I'm working in Culver City. Silver Lake seemed to be my best option, but I can back out of the agreement, and I'm keeping an eye out for anything else. Anyway, count this as a bump for the thread, as I hope he finds someone.

DCX

DCX
I live south of Utica NY...in a town called Waterville. Nice area, very quiet. 5 Hours from my hometown, NYC and about 1-2 hours from Albany, Syracuse, and Buffalo...Central New York. Hell i need a roommate :p

DCX

xsarien

daedsiluap
DCX said:
I live south of Utica NY...in a town called Waterville. Nice area, very quiet. 5 Hours from my hometown, NYC and about 1-2 hours from Albany, Syracuse, and Buffalo...Central New York. Hell i need a roommate :p

DCX

I went as far north as Albany for four years, vowed to never venture further in fear of my life. Sorry. :p

DCX

DCX
no problem, this place is a haven for nothing lol...hunting i guess. slutty white chicks.

DCX

Flynn

Lil' Dice said:
Look, i'm not saying 'your' place is ghetto, it's just that after living in a shit hole of a city for 15 years i can recognize a less than desirable neighborhood.
Just make sure not to let the cholos know what you have in your car/home.

The good news is that the artsy fartsy community is moving in and driving the prices up, meaning that the undesirables are being sequestered about the city.
Then again you could have a million $$ house on the hills, which despite being nice, are only a few hundred yards from the barrio.

Oh, and Los Feliz is about a 20-30 minute drive to Culver City without traffic. On a regular day it'll take you anywhere from 45-60 minutes.

Well, If you want to get technical, all the Hillside Strangler killings were committed around here too.

Dilbert

Nice place, and it IS a nice neighborhood. Unfortunately, I'm done with the roommate thing (although just starting the live-with-my-girlfriend thing), and I only pay $1000 for a one-bedroom less than a mile from the water in Redondo Beach. ;)

Good luck finding a good roommate, though -- I've had mostly good luck over the years, but my one wacky roommate was sheer HELL to live with.

Mike

Thanks for the kind words! The parking situation is one covered space for two people, so my roommate and I switch off the space weekly. But it's not impossible to find street parking. :)

why do people keep posting about their low rents in buttfuk wherever..??

no crap its going to be cheaper living ANYWHERE outside of los angeles, chicago, new york, etc...

Lil' Dice

Banned
Fifty said:
Thanks for the tips, and sorry if I'm derailing this thread. I've got to move to LA for work, and I'm working in Culver City. Silver Lake seemed to be my best option, but I can back out of the agreement, and I'm keeping an eye out for anything else. Anyway, count this as a bump for the thread, as I hope he finds someone.

If you're gonna work in Culver City but want to live away from the overpriced "West Side" you should try loking around Sherman Oaks, Encino, Tarzana, and Studio City. All five communities are close to the 405 which is a straight shot to Culver City. Even some parts of Santa Monica offer fairly decent rent prices. I live in Burbank, which is probably closer to Culvaer City, and i knew of a 2 bedroom, 2 story apartment for $950 in town, literally one block from downtown, theaters, the mall, IKEA and a shit load of restaurants.

Don't get trapped into leasing until you know for sure you'll like the area.

Dilbert

Lil' Dice said:
If you're gonna work in Culver City but want to live away from the overpriced "West Side" you should try loking around Sherman Oaks, Encino, Tarzana, and Studio City. All five communities are close to the 405 which is a straight shot to Culver City. Even some parts of Santa Monica offer fairly decent rent prices. I live in Burbank, which is probably closer to Culvaer City, and i knew of a 2 bedroom, 2 story apartment for $950 in town, literally one block from downtown, theaters, the mall, IKEA and a shit load of restaurants.

Don't get trapped into leasing until you know for sure you'll like the area.
One BIG problem with that idea...traffic.

All of the places you mention are on the OTHER side of the #1 (US-101/I-405) and #5 WORST highway interchanges in the United States. I'm not just quoting the figures...I've had to commute through that hellhole before, and it's NOT fun.

You have to put a price on your stress and your time. If you can save $100/month on rent, but you spend one hour more in the car each day, is it worth it? Only if you think your time is worth $5/hour.

Lil' Dice

Banned
True, but the 101, 110 and the 10 aren't any better. If he moves to a city near the 405 he can take Sepulveda half way to Culver City. I commuted on the 101 from Canoga Park to Burbank for a year, it sucks; now i live 4-5 miles from work and pay more simply for the peace of mind of knowing my Xbox will still be in my living room when i get home from work...

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Rents are crazy in L.A.
I'm paying $430 a month for a one-room house (very private) with a deck and black-bottom pool with waterfall in Manhattan Beach, (utilities and cable included) but I'm very lucky, and that deal with the devil didn't hurt either. No, I'm not renting from a relative.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom