• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koban Heat teams up with Bradygames to release book about Japanese Video Games

http://www.planetgamecube.com/news.cfm?action=item&id=5495

BradyGames to Release Riveting New Book: Power-Up: How Japanese Video Games Gave the World an Extra Life

INDIANAPOLIS - August 5, 2004 - Chris Kohler, one of video game journalism's most important new voices, has joined forces with BradyGames, the leader in video game strategy guides, to launch a new book designed to give readers an entertaining and authoritative look at the indelible influence that video gaming, specifically Japanese gaming, has had on the world. Whether a hardcore gamer, a fan of Japanese films and anime, or a student of Japanese culture, Power-Up: How Japanese Video Games Gave the World an Extra Life is a must-have.

The book, scheduled to release in early September, is the first English-language work of its kind to examine the reasons behind the success of Japanese video games, rather than focusing on the history of video games. At over 300 pages, this compelling paperback profiles some of the most fascinating Japanese video game designers in the industry and takes a critical look at Japanese video games from their earliest beginnings to new, exciting trends that ride the bleeding edge of popular culture.

"Chris Kohler's writing style draws in the reader. He successfully recreates the era and makes the connection from then to now, entertaining the reader all the while," said Tim Fitzpatrick, Title Manager for BradyGames.

In addition, Kohler explains why Japanese video games are unique and why they resonate so well with young American players. Power-Up offers fresh insight into classic Japanese video games and the elements that made them so different from American games, the origin of Nintendo, Japan's oldest and largest video game producer, Japanese Role-Playing Games, and much more.

"This book is not just for video game fanatics," Fitzpatrick continues. "Chris draws from the worlds of animation, comic books, and Japanese culture as a whole. Anyone interested in the social phenomenon that is video gaming and its undeniable influence on America (and the world) will find this book fascinating."

For additional information and updates about Power-Up, including sample excerpts and chapters and the book cover image, please visit BradyGames' homepage at www.bradygames.com. - - -

Power-Up: How Japanese Video Games Gave the World an Extra Life (ISBN 0-7440-0424-1) will be available September 1, 2004 at online bookstores, electronics, book and software retailers for $19.99 US / $28.99 CAN. It also will be available for purchase online at http://www.bradygames.com.

ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Chris Kohler completed the research for Power-Up as a Fulbright scholar to Kyoto, Japan. Kohler was Phi Beta Kappa at Tufts University, where he graduated summa cum laude. As an undergraduate, Kohler designed and taught a full-credit course on the history of the videogames industry and served as the teaching assistant for the school's first-ever course covering Japanese animation. His graduation thesis, titled The Cinematic Japanese Video Game, received highest honors.

Chris has covered the Japanese video game industry since 1996 and contributes regularly to Wired News, Animerica, and Nintendo Official Magazine UK. His work has appeared in Wired, GameSpy, Shonen Jump, Games Domain, IGN, and Kyoto Journal among numerous other publications. He was also interviewed by the Boston Globe as part of an article covering the launch of the Nintendo GameCube and Microsoft Xbox, and has contributed to such books as High Score!: The Illustrated History of Electronic Games, Second Edition (McGraw-Hill), Phoenix: The Fall and Rise of Videogames, Third Edition (Rolenta Press), and the upcoming Gaming Hacks (O'Reilly). Chris currently resides in Northford, Connecticut.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
If his Xbox trolling is any indication of what KobunHeat's views are... it would be that his views are absolutely worthless.

BuddyChrist83 said:
someday Kohler, someday.
Is that like Dr. Claw saying "I'll get you next time Gadget... next time?"

And no, I don't know who in the hell Golden Darkness is. He does have good taste in press releases though, I'll say that.

Kobun Heat said:
And no, I don't know who in the hell Golden Darkness is. He does have good taste in press releases though, I'll say that.

Like my identity is any concern to anyone here.

Anyway, congrats. Hopefully the book will do well.

border said:
What is the book Gaming Hacks going to be about?
It's really cool. It's a whole bunch of different articles and how-tos about video gaming. How to mod your Xbox. Exploits for MMORPGs. Basically, how to cheat the system. I wrote pieces on how to region-mod pretty much every system ever, and how to play Japanese games if you don't know any Japanese. Edited by Simon Carless of Slashdot.

Dave Long

Banned
Nope. I did the DOSBox one. :)

GamerDad is just one of many hats I wear and hell, the column I do for there wouldn't be out of place on any other gaming site.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
I always cringe whenever I look at a press release on something I have been involved with. No matter how good the product actually is, I always end up looking like an asshole.

fennec fox

Regardless of my fear of press releases, I do wish that I could write what I wanted to write about all day instead of, say, playing Galleon for review.

fenekku-gitsune said:
Regardless of my fear of press releases, I do wish that I could write what I wanted to write about all day instead of, say, playing Galleon for review.
Yeah, I'm playing Sudeki.

Right now I wish I had a full time job.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Kobun Heat said:
Yeah, I'm playing Sudeki.

I don't believe playing is quite the word you're looking for. Can't wait to get an actual copy of the book to read, because that's cooler than .docs.

impirius

Motion to change name of forum to "Gaming-Age Forums: Home of One of Video Game Journalism's Most Important New Voices"

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
explodet said:
If he was, you'd think he'd spell his nickname in the title correctly. :D

But you see, that's the clever part of it all. Now, noone will suspect anything.
OR SO HE THOUGHT.

Senretsu

Sounds like a interesting book, I will keep an eye out for it. Been looking for something like this actually, I might actually buy it too!

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
ferricide said:
but he is the xbox hat0r/cube lov0r. hence my confusion. besides the obvious quality reasons, i meant. =)

Understood. And, seriously, even the biggest Xbox supporters have to fess up to the lack of quality in Sudeki. It wasn't like the adverts told you what they'd be focusing on, though ('Pray for a full frontal assault').

MASB

lol. This kind of came out of nowhere. Kobun must be supported! so I'll buy a copy when it comes out. I've liked his articles, so the book should be interesting.

fennec fox

I'll take the editing job! Do you mind if I get rid of all the U's and insert hum'rous baseball anecdotes?

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
fenekku-gitsune said:
I'll take the editing job! Do you mind if I get rid of all the U's and insert hum'rous baseball anecdotes?

I couldn't give a monkeys mate :) I stopped working there bloody ages ago. Mail me at my home address and I'll forward you onto the current acting Ed.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I've been waiting for this oen for a while... I've enjoyed Chris Kohler's stuff ever since the Yoshi ZZT days...

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
They really should have mentioned those Yoshi ZZT games in the press release. Game designer, writer, AND lecturer! Heh...

Chris Kohler -- the man responsible for TMK's -only- copyright infringement complaint, ever.

I mean, I'm playing Sudeki because I have to review it. It's the hard-knock life.

(Trying to dispel the notion that I get to play what I want to)

boutrosinit

Kobun Heat said:
I mean, I'm playing Sudeki because I have to review it. It's the hard-knock life.

(Trying to dispel the notion that I get to play what I want to)

Good. You had me worried man. I'd rather wipe my arse with thistles than play that nut-encrusted brown-ness of a game.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
"Good. You had me worried man. I'd rather wipe my arse with thistles than play that nut-encrusted brown-ness of a game."

is it REALLY that bad?
everyone i know who got it , thinking it was going to be bad after the reviews , seems to be enjoying it.

They aren't in love with it or anything, but neither are they suicidal because it's so bad.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
DCharlie said:
is it REALLY that bad?
everyone i know who got it , thinking it was going to be bad after the reviews , seems to be enjoying it.

They aren't in love with it or anything, but neither are they suicidal because it's so bad.

Yes, yes it is. Nich Maragos gave it the right score.

boutrosinit

DCharlie said:
"Good. You had me worried man. I'd rather wipe my arse with thistles than play that nut-encrusted brown-ness of a game."

is it REALLY that bad?

Each to their own I guess. Some people like Riddick (me), some people like Sudeki (not me). Some even like Catwoman.*

*these people are polluting the gene pool.

MASB

DavidDayton said:
Chris Kohler -- the man responsible for TMK's -only- copyright infringement complaint, ever.
Never heard about that before. What caused that situation?

Top Bottom