• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Konami's TGS lineup

Solid

PlayStation2
Beatmania IIDX 8th Style
DDR Festival Dance Dance Revolution
Enthusia Professional Racing
Meine Liebe: Yuubinaru Kioku
Metal Gear Sollid 3 Snake Eater
Nano Breaker
Neo Contra
Oz
Pop'n Music 10
Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2004 Climax
Rumble Roses
SLAI: Phantom Crash
Winning Eleven 8 Asia Championship
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim

PSP
Mahjong Fight Club
Metal Gear Acid

Game Boy Advance
Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django
Korokke! Great Jikuu No Boukensha
Goemon New Age Shutsudou!
Power Pro Kun Pocket 7

aku:jiki

What's "Oz"?

If I'm allowed to dream, it'd be the best game ever if it was based on the prison show. I want to do hustling for both Schillinger and Keane, and end up sleeping with Howell!

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
New action-RPG from Suikoden folks with angsty, spike-haired protagonists. BUT IT WILL BE AWESOME*

* not necessarily an accurate prediction

Trevelyon

aku:jiki said:
What's "Oz"?

If I'm allowed to dream, it'd be the best game ever if it was based on the prison show. I want to do hustling for both Schillinger and Keane, and end up sleeping with Howell!

...and rat everyone out O'Reilly style!

Solid

Oz

oz-20040913031819090.jpg

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/547/547150p1.html

aku:jiki

Trevelyon said:
...and rat everyone out O'Reilly style!
I was (kind of) describing O'Reilly in my post! :D
He'd be the perfect main character for an Oz game.

D2M15 said:
New action-RPG from Suikoden folks with angsty, spike-haired protagonists. BUT IT WILL BE AWESOME*
Now who's the big meanie, you crusher of dreams. :(

Faked edit: Is that dude's hair on fire in the Oz pic?

Trevelyon

In regards to the title 'Oz'

"Though the current title has been confirmed as temporary, our insiders in Japan have told us that the choice for the provisional title is significant in terms of content -- and that it holds some kind of definite meaning as to what the final product will be."

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I better hurry up and finish both Ys 4's before 6 comes out... :p I'm REALLY hyped for this game, the trailer Falcom has at their site (well, for the PC game at least), has made my mouth salivate.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
Deepthroat said:
PSP
Mahjong Fight Club
The mental image of brad pitt and edward norton playing Mahjong in a dank basement simply will not leave me now...

PS2:
Beatmania IIDX 8th Style (KCES)
DDR Festival Dance Dance Revolution (KCET)
Enthusia Professional Racing (KCES)
Meine Liebe: Yuubinaru Kioku (KCEJ)
Metal Gear Sollid 3 Snake Eater (KCEJ)
Nano Breaker (KCET)
Neo Contra (KCET)
Oz (KCET)
Pop'n Music 10 (KCET)
Pro Yakyuu Spirits 2004 Climax (KCES)
Rumble Roses (KCET)
SLAI: Phantom Crash (Genki)
Winning Eleven 8 Asia Championship (KCET)
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (Falcom)

PSP
Mahjong Fight Club (?)
Metal Gear Acid (KCEJ)
Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (Falcom)

Game Boy Advance
Boktai 2: Solar Boy Django (KCEJ)
Korokke! Great Jikuu No Boukensha (?)
Goemon New Age Shutsudou! (KCES?)
Power Pro Kun Pocket 7 (KCES)

Strange seeing so few KCEJ games, they usually have Konami highest output because of all the anime based games they usually develop.

Asskicker064 said:
Nothing else matters.

EXCEPT FOR THE PERPEPTUALLY ABSENT HOME RELEASES OF THE LATEST GUITAR FREAKS AND DRUMMANIA MIXES!! WHY DON'T YOU SHOVE YOUR POP'N'MUSIC CONTROLLER UP YOUR ASS, COCKNAMI!! I HOPE A DDR ARCADE WHORE GIVES YOU SYPHILIS!!

p.s. i am still a little bitter

Miburou said:
Thanks Solid. I'm now more interested in Oz seeing as how KCET is developing it.

Yah KCET along with KCEJ West tend to be Konami's most consistant divisions . KCES has been improving alot lately too. Hopefully Murata (KCEJW) has a new game in the making by now. The most recent thing he's worked on is the script to MGS3. But after he directed ZOE2, I want to see more action games by him. Even if its not ZOE3. :(

D2M15 said:
Don't hate, apprecia- OH GOD MY EYES

Spend any time in a Japanese arcade and you'll soon see that Pop 'n' Music is played exclusively by middle school girls with OCD, while DDR is played by socially inept high school boys (exception: recent, jobless graduates). All the cool kids are rocking out with linked up Gitadora!

BUT NOT AT AT HOME.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I would really really like to see a Beatmania DS at some point in time. I want to touch to the beat with DJ Konami.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I don't know why KCEJ just decided to lay fallow on their Bemani titles. GF/DM is still sought after and the only arcade title in their line up that actually stays popular. IIDX would be better off if the AM division didn't fudge around with that WinXP shit. Meanwhile, newer PS2 IIDX releases are coming from a different division and KCEJ seems content to just release [insert anime licence here] and Metal Gear stuff. Seems to me that anything IIDX or GF/DM is guaranteed sale to a small crowd, but, whatever.

Plus I hear all those licencing problems are a bitch, which I think is only half the reason why GF/DM is ignored for home. It's stupid.

Lost Weekend said:
I would really really like to see a Beatmania DS at some point in time. I want to touch to the beat with DJ Konami.
You're the same person that brought this up last time, right?

Until the DS allows more than one point of simultaneous input, it ain't happening.

Brofist

Deepthroat said:
PlayStation2
Beatmania IIDX 8th Style
Nano Breaker
Neo Contra
Oz
Pop'n Music 10
Rumble Roses

PSP
Mahjong Fight Club
Metal Gear Acid

Game Boy Advance
Power Pro Kun Pocket 7

What's added to the latest WE release...online? NOT :p

dog$ said:
Plus I hear all those licencing problems are a bitch, which I think is only half the reason why GF/DM is ignored for home. It's stupid.

Given the v. high quality of recent GM mixes (the latest mix has ENTIRE FIVE MINUTE SONGS by the original artists) I can totally believe this. I just wish they'd release something, anything - a collection of in-house remixes of classic Konami famicom tunes, ANYTHING!!

I am crazy about Guitar Freaks.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Ahchacha that's the thing. The touchscreen could be a scratchboard, and the buttons could handle the keys. Hell, they could even use the mic to give it another element. It could work, and it could work well!

(yeah, I am the same person :))

Lost Weekend said:
Ahchacha that's the thing. The touchscreen could be a scratchboard, and the buttons could handle the keys. Hell, they could even use the mic to give it another element. It could work, and it could work well!

So, which FIVE buttons are you reaching with your ONE hand such that you can press ANY THREE of them together simultaneously? Feel free to draw a picture if it helps.

GDGF

Soothsayer
You need sleep or coffee crazy person, but how about the four diamond pattern buttons on the right side of the controler plus the top right button?

(also was there not a Beatmania game released for the Gameboy in japan, and if so, shoud we really be making buttons a deciding factor, hmmm?)

Lost Weekend said:
You need sleep or coffee crazy person, but how about the four diamond pattern buttons on the right side of the controler plus the top right button?

I'm just wondering how you would push, let's say, diamond-bottom, diamond-top, and the top-right button simultaneously without dropping your DS in a smashed liquid crystal mess on the floor? Remember, your left hand is holding the stylus and unable to counterbalance your right hand's contortions.

Miburou

kpop100 said:
What's added to the latest WE release...online? NOT :p

It's actually J-League Winning Eleven 8. The "Asian Championship" I think refers to the fact that the Korean league is also there.

GDGF

Soothsayer
My hand wouldn't be holding the stylus (I'm going bareback), and my DS would most likely be on a table.

What about that Gameboy Beatmania question, though?

(wait a second. I just held a novel sideways and pushed invisible buttons while holding a pencil in my left hand. I think you guys are underestimating the hands ability to do several things at once...)

I stand by my statements. A DS Beatmania is completely possible.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
There were Beatmania GB games... I haven't tried 'em, but all I know is that the song rosters on them are completely different from any arcade/PS1 releases. This'd make sense to me, considering that you'd need to use the +pad and A and B in order to get 5 keys and a scratch for input... which would mean that most common Beatmania chords would be completely impossible, especially with a scratch on them too.

More than likely it probably went
left - 1st white
down - 2nd white
right - 3rd white
A - 1st black
B - 2nd black
up - scratch

or something.

I mean, even the very common chord of Whites1,2,3+Scratch would seem pretty painful on a Gameboy, much less a DS.

And of course it's possible; there's "IIDX" on cellphones for chrissakes. How good it'd be is another question.

Lost Weekend said:
What about that Gameboy Beatmania question, though?

The GBC version used: left, up, right, b, and a, with select for scratching.

Left = 1st White
Up = 1st Black
Right = 2nd White
B = 2nd Black
A = 3rd White

The GBC versions featured licensed pop songs and anime themes, something the PlayStation and Arcade versions never did. So if you want a chiptune version of Aikawa Nanase (and you DO), this is your game. They're my favorite versions of Beatmania bar none and some of my most played GB games. It breaks my heart Konami publishes 80 games a year in Japan but one of them can't be a GBA Beatmania. :(

Your solution of using all four face buttons on the right isn't really viable; pushing three face buttons while supporting the DS is physically impossible unless your DS is on a table, and "must be played on a table" isn't exactly a selling point for a portable system.

The GBC configuration might work with touch-screen scratching (either hand could - and would have to - scratch as necessary). But in that case you're mandating stylusless play.

The most important factor in a sensible Beatmania layout is SIMULTANEITY. Without that, the game is unplayable.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I'll even give you a bit of a visual here. Right hand over buttons (with index finger over top right button)

Left hand safely cradling your DS under the touch screen, with your thumb over the top for your dope ass DJ scratch movements. It's not even hard. Grab something DS sized and see how easy it is.

Use your imaginations folks!

GDGF

Soothsayer
JackFrost2012 said:
Your solution of using all four face buttons on the right isn't really viable; pushing three face buttons while supporting the DS is physically impossible unless your DS is on a table, and "must be played on a table" isn't exactly a selling point for a portable system.

Actually you could do it while holding it quite easily. Your left hand would be holding your DS as well, with your thumb free for scratching. It works quite nicely.

Lost Weekend said:
Use your imaginations folks!

Have you ever played Beatmania? :)

Using all four face buttons is a PHYSICAL IMPOSSIBILITY. Way more so than the stylus/support issues. Unless you have a forked thumb, it ain't happening.

EDIT: Just to clarify: you'd have to be using your ring, middle, and pointer fingers on the face buttons to hit chords, so your right hand would be unable to support the DS.

GDGF

Soothsayer
JackFrost2012 said:
Have you ever played Beatmania? :)

The original (at least I think it was) back in 1998 in Japan, actually.

Why couldn I just hit two buttons simutaneously with my thumb while hitting the top right button with my index finger? I can hit any two buttons in the diamond pattern simutaneously.

Lost Weekend said:
Why couldn I just hit two buttons simutaneously with my thumb while hitting the top right button with my index finger? I can hit any two buttons in the diamond pattern simutaneously.

Because the human hand isn't made that way.

You can hit the top button and the bottom button and the shoulder button WITHOUT hitting either of the buttons to the left or right? What about right button and left button, while still supporting the DS?

I'd like to see a picture of your thumb.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Wait now I am confused. Tell me one more time why we cant use the GBC beatmania button combination with stylus scratching? Forget all the other crap I said :)

Lost Weekend said:
Wait now I am confused. Tell me one more time why we cant use the GBC beatmania button combination with stylus scratching? Forget all the other crap I said :)

You could use the GBC layout, but using that layout with a stylus would be impossible, as scratching in that layout has to be possible with EITHER hand, and using a stylus limits you to just half the scratching possibilities.

I'm with dog$ - it's possible, sure, but it's counterintuitive and a bad idea. Beatmania is a KEY based game, so shoehorning it onto the DS and forcing it to use the stylus just doesn't make sense. I'd rather see Konami come up with a new music game based around the stylus.

GDGF

Soothsayer
This is what we're going to do, Jackfrost. I am going to walk to the store and pick up a pack of smokes, and when I get back you and I (and that dog$ fellow if he likes) are going to sit here and debate until we can find a way for this to work (and I can still have my dream!)

Break :)

GDGF

Soothsayer
JackFrost2012 said:
. I'd rather see Konami come up with a new music game based around the stylus.

Wait. I can live with that. No more need to debate this (as I know when I am bested)
Maybe we'll get some kinda mania game. Touchmania, I dunno :)

Still need those smokes, though.

Meh. I'd love to see more Gitadora. I'm looking at a PS2 PnM pad but I already shelled out lots of cash for the DC pad, and another $70 just to be able to play the next few games...

I wonder if the new DDR is a collection or actually new music. Not that DDR Extreme is getting stale or something, but variety is always fun.

Deepthroat said:
PlayStation2
Beatmania IIDX 8th Style
Nano Breaker
Neo Contra
Oz
Pop'n Music 10
Rumble Roses

PSP
Mahjong Fight Club
Metal Gear Acid

Game Boy Advance
Power Pro Kun Pocket 7

No castlevania? I expect DS surprises or Konami can GO TO HELL. Goemon almost absolves my hate for them.

Top Bottom