• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku: Melee Player's Criminal History Divides Smash Bros. Community

Xbro

I havent played melee in a long time but isnt Falco good? Fox I know is really good, and Falco is a fox clone.

Fox and Falco play a lot differently. Falco is a more button intensive character while Fox is a lot easier to play. You'll see a lot more Foxes than Falcos in tournaments.

Though Falco is very good when played by someone who can handle him.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Let him play. If he messes up again ban him. Second chances are fine as long as those giving them are also ready to act if the opportunity gets blown.

Besides, if he gets big into Melee again it could help keep him away from those bad crowds and generally be a good influence on him. The vast majority of the Melee community are good people to be around.

I havent played melee in a long time but isnt Falco good? Fox I know is really good, and Falco is a fox clone.

Falco is just having a bit of a down period in terms of representation and results at the top level. It's happened to other characters. Players will adapt and new stars will rise with new playstyles to counter the current meta, and then Falco will be "back."

At the moment there is basically only Mango (who is 50/50 Fox/Falco) and Westballz (who has had inconsistent results recently) at the very top level for Falco. There is a decent drop-off after that in terms of skill and placement.

“Football fans don’t care that the football players are beating up their wives in elevators. They don’t care. They want to be entertained.”

Bullshit! Why do people do this? Like there's a legit argument to be made about violence against women being downplayed in society which is a very big concern and disgusting behavior, you don't need to make shit up.

Pappasman

YUUUUP

Man, Smash player's are odd. They deify pro players, even those who have been out of the game for months / years (PPMD, Hax$, etc.).

Hell, Shiz has been out of the scene for a long time now and now that he's back people are just falling at his feet to let him back in and acting like his assault charges aren't important in the grand scheme of things, or not as important as his non top 8 major finishes are at least.

Shiz, from my interactions with him, seems like an incredibly volatile and victim blaming type of person with a massive ego. Much like K9SBruce who got the Smash community banned from Dave & Buster's.

Time will tell if Shiz goes from being banned to unbanned and back again as frequently as K9 though.

eSports fans are really quick to ignore real life actions of players they like to watch, much like sports fans tbh. It's sad really.

I've even had to ban players from my locals for personally harassing my assistant TOs too. I don't play that shit and if any previously banned player shows up to my shitty biweekly they will be under heavy scrutiny.

I'm all for rehabilitation and the chance to turn your life around but Hyuga, K9, Shiz, et. al more often than not have the "Sorry I got caught" attitude more than anything which sickens me.
That's the thing, as a TO you made the call. More TOs in the community need to get together and make decisions around things like this. They are ultimately the ones who run the show and having a unified (as much as that is possible) ruling on this sort of thing is important.

fhqwhgads

The actions of the named individuals aren't the problem; the community's handwaving their acts is.
Happens all the time, even on GAF. Any time it gets brought up, people in droves come along with "Oh but the community is actually really good, they're just a bad apple and this is an isolated incident #notallgamers" and any retorts are them sticking their head in the sand and pretending they can't hear you.

Of course no one wants to admit something they love has a dark side, it's impossible to avoid but we all have to own up to it. By downplaying problems or ignoring them, you're both making yourself look bad and showing you don't want to help make the community you supposedly love better, instead preferring to pretend everything is perfect and lovely.

E-sports has a long way to go before it truly gets taken seriously and if people aren't willing to take measures in order to make events and games an enjoyable time for everyone, then they're to blame for E-sports not becoming bigger or better.

rhandino

Banned
"I am human and you are human,” Layton told me over the phone from his Las Vegas hotel room last week at EVO, the biggest fighting games tournament in the world. “Who are you to judge me?”
Oh.

Ok.

In 2013, a court charged Layton with aggravated battery after his female housemate obtained a lacerated liver and fractured vertebrae in a fight. That charge was later dropped because, Layton says, he did not do it.

wait, what?

dude beats up women on the reg? yeah he sounds like some white trash piece of shit from Florida alright. one of these days he is going to fuck with the wrong person and get his ass kicked irl

Nairume

Banned
On one hand, people absolutely should have a chance at rehabilitation and returning to the things that they love if they can truly show that they have become better people (at least provided their crime isn't too heinous).

But the issue here is that the guy in question hasn't entirely regained the community's trust. Given his last outburst, which was only one in a long line of other things, was only a year ago, it is entirely reasonable that some people in the community wouldn't want him in there. He may be an inspirational Falco player, but the Melee community really should reconsider how immediately they are letting him back into prominence when it sounds like a chunk of the community isn't ready for him to be back.

100%

also why they're locking down voice chat to a device that isn't one of their products

Yup was going to add that point too

Can you imagine them squirming at the headlines...

"CONVICTED WOMEN ASSAULTER AND CONVICTED RAPIST ALLOWED BACK INTO NINTENDO VIDEO GAME TOURNAMENT"

Timeaisis

How about be redeemed in the eyes of society before trying to be redeemed in the eyes of the Smash community. This dude's priorities are all out of whack.

Sami+

Yeah, I don't like it tbh. There's a bunch of dumb redditors who don't give a fuck what the few women in the community have to think though.

Apparently he's serious about redeeming himself though? I haven't heard of him doing anything since he came back. Hopefully that's true, although I was never a fan of giving him another chance to begin with.

*Splinter

I don't think he should be banned unless you want to instate a rule banning anyone with a criminal record - and that would be a weird (but not impossible) rule to implement in any competitive scene.

Beyond that, he's served the sentence for his crime(s) and should be allowed the chance to reintegrate with society. Same as anyone else.

(I know nothing about this guy except what's in the OP.)

Dryk

I think it's comparable to an artist who does stuff you don't like or is illegal. I mean, it might kill your interest in their work but it might not. It seems in the business of sports it always puts you in a bad spot no matter the circumstances anyway.
An artist can often be isolated from the people that don't feel safe around them. In an FGC tournament that's only possible if either the person with the violent history is banned, or the people who are scarred of them recuse themselves.

Dyle

If players feel uncomfortable or unsafe around him then he should be banned. Individual TOs should determine this in coordination with players, but a full-stop ban on playing seems too early without misconduct at a Smash tournament itself.

As a Falco main, Shiz's play was always an influence to me and his game against M2K at ROM is still imo the greatest single game in Melee history. But that means nothing if he puts other players at risk

In 2013, a court charged Layton with aggravated battery after his female housemate obtained a lacerated liver and fractured vertebrae in a fight. That charge was later dropped because, Layton says, he did not do it.

wait, what?

dude beats up women on the reg? yeah he sounds like some white trash piece of shit from Florida alright. one of these days he is going to fuck with the wrong person and get his ass kicked irl

Umm, Shiz is black, he's playing Falco on the right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGmwLuQa-hg

And this is why organizational bodies like CPT should exist for Smash. Leaving it up to the individual TOs is what lets Noel Brown slip through the cracks over and over and over again because he was friends with well-connected people who could pressure TOs into giving him infinite second chances. Take it out of the hands of the TOs, make it a decision from higher up and shut them out for good.

Guy in the OP doesn't seem repentant in the least. Fuck your meta, you got other active members feeling legitimately threatened by his presence.

*Splinter

An artist can often be isolated from the people that don't feel safe around them. In an FGC tournament that's only possible if either the person with the violent history is banned, or the people who are scarred of them recuse themselves.

If players feel uncomfortable or unsafe around him then he should be banned. Individual TOs should determine this in coordination with players, but a full-stop ban on playing seems too early without misconduct at a Smash tournament itself.
If people feel threatened by this guy's existence then the only solution is to place him under permanent house-arrest, and that is presumably not the usual sentence for the crimes he has committed.

If people feel threatened by this guy's existence then the only solution is to place him under permanent house-arrest, and that is presumably not the usual sentence for the crimes he has committed.

Or maybe a happy middleground between one extreme and the other.

My proposal:

anigif_enhanced-8139-1395783373-8.gif

Permanently A

not sure that's the attitude of someone who's repented

OH WELL NEVER MIND THEN. THANK GOD

I mean OP just didn't include the part where he apologizes.

"Layton has completed 14 anger management and 14 substance abuse classes since the 2016 gas station incident and has shared proof on Twitter, where he also posted an apology: “YES, I WAS a violent person. YES, I do have an exquisite criminal record. I am not denying any of those facts. I am sorry for the way that I was and the things I have done in my life. I am ashamed for a lot that has happened up till now. I did not mean to hurt anyone emotionally, or the people that I have hurt physically, although none of them are smashers."

Nightii

Banned

"Layton has completed 14 anger management and 14 substance abuse classes since the 2016 gas station incident and has shared proof on Twitter, where he also posted an apology: “YES, I WAS a violent person. YES, I do have an exquisite criminal record. I am not denying any of those facts. I am sorry for the way that I was and the things I have done in my life. I am ashamed for a lot that has happened up till now. I did not mean to hurt anyone emotionally, or the people that I have hurt physically, although none of them are smashers."

Well, ain't that a relief.

proto

There's a lot of talk in the community about how this guy has changed and how we should give him a second chance, but a lot of DSW's (DaShizWiz's) behavior indicates that he has very little control of his temper once it sets off. I'd be more understanding if two players got into a fistfight after an extended period of beef. People get into tussles in sports all the time, but DSW's aggression is the type of violence seems unconstrained and volatile by comparison.

He assaulted a gas station clerk, and continued to do so even after the clerk pulled a gun on him.

He was also charged with assault and battery towards his housemate, why? Because she refused to give him money to make a music video.

I'm sure he's a polite, courteous dude most of the time, so I can see where the "look he's changed!" argument is coming from, but when he's angry he poses a legitimate, life-threatening risk to those around him. Usually I'm all for second chances but this guy is just too much of a risk to allow back into the scene.

Tomohawk

Yuup

YUUUUP

Man, Smash player's are odd. They deify pro players, even those who have been out of the game for months / years (PPMD, Hax$, etc.).

Hell, Shiz has been out of the scene for a long time now and now that he's back people are just falling at his feet to let him back in and acting like his assault charges aren't important in the grand scheme of things, or not as important as his non top 8 major finishes are at least.

Shiz, from my interactions with him, seems like an incredibly volatile and victim blaming type of person with a massive ego. Much like K9SBruce who got the Smash community banned from Dave & Buster's.

Time will tell if Shiz goes from being banned to unbanned and back again as frequently as K9 though.

eSports fans are really quick to ignore real life actions of players they like to watch, much like sports fans tbh. It's sad really.

I've even had to ban players from my locals for personally harassing my assistant TOs too. I don't play that shit and if any previously banned player shows up to my shitty biweekly they will be under heavy scrutiny.

I'm all for rehabilitation and the chance to turn your life around but Hyuga, K9, Shiz, et. al more often than not have the "Sorry I got caught" attitude more than anything which sickens me.
From what i've seen shiz doesnt deny or excuse his crimes. Hes done his time and given hes never been a problem at events he deserves a chance. What good would ostracizing him do other than make his old habits more enticing.

Tomohawk

wait, what?

Hes not white, dont be racist.

This guy is a goldmine. My favorite part is calling his own criminal record "exquisite". You can feel the shame and repentance in his words!

Dyle

Exactly, which is why bans for situations such as this should be done on a community by community basis. If he anyone should ban him, which I don't think there's much of a reason to at this point, then it should be limited to communities that have specifically been hurt by him. Which from what's in the article is no-one, since none of the incidents involved other smashers or smash events

There's a incredibly interesting and important conversation to be had about criminal justice, reform and rehabilitation, social norms, etc., but the context here is so stupid I can't force myself to muster the effort to make it.

Yeah. Honestly, I'm not really sure what the correct answer is here. But I sort of dislike the idea that his talent with a fan-favorite character should factor into consideration at all. If the argument is that we should let him back because it's not the communities job to litigate outside crimes, I can understand the argument. I'm not saying I'm won over completely, but I understand the argument. If the idea is that we would hold a top 10 (I pulled that number out of thin air) player to a different standard than a top 1000 player, then I'm not on board at all.

Nairume

Banned
What good would ostracizing him do other than make his old habits more enticing.
Giving people who he has made uncomfortable more time to decide if he has really done his time. Given Melee is at a point where it needs to be very careful about how it cultivates its community going forward, welcoming in a volatile player who is only a year off of an assault charge after a series of other actions that has a chunk of the community weary of him isn't going to do any good if it pushes out more people.

*Splinter

Oh yeah and I completely agree that his proficiency with Falco is irrelevant. The focus on that aspect is really weird tbh.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think he should be banned unless you want to instate a rule banning anyone with a criminal record - and that would be a weird (but not impossible) rule to implement in any competitive scene.

Beyond that, he's served the sentence for his crime(s) and should be allowed the chance to reintegrate with society. Same as anyone else.

(I know nothing about this guy except what's in the OP.)

This is basically why I said what I did. I don't think setting a precedent of banning anyone with any criminal history from the scene is a good way to go about things. Even if DSW fucks up and gets himself kicked out, it doesn't mean other people will have the same problems. Second chances are a good thing, they just don't need to turn into third, fourth, twelfth, thirty-first, etc.

SalvaPot

isn't melee the community that let the guy who sexually assaulted that girl back into tournaments without making a big deal about it

If you are talking about Hyuga:
-He was banned from tournaments.
-No charges where made.
-He publicly apologized and stopped attending US tournaments even after the ban was lifted.
-He plays Smash 4.

see5harp

I personally don't understand why someone's personal life has anything to do with a videogame tournament. He was charged with crimes and served whatever punishment was sentenced.

Nairume

Banned
I personally don't understand why someone's personal life has anything to do with a videogame tournament. He was charged with crimes and served whatever punishment was sentenced.
A) Personal lives matter when they bleed out into public life. Assaulting a gas station clerk isn't just his "personal life"
B) Part of the community is uncomfortable with some of his past crimes having been targeting women

I am all for rehabilitation and people being able to rejoin society, but, again, I don't blame people for needing more than a year to be ready to reaccept a serial offender.

Yeah. Honestly, I'm not really sure what the correct answer is here. But I sort of dislike the idea that his talent with a fan-favorite character should factor into consideration at all. If the argument is that we should let him back because it's not the communities job to litigate outside crimes, I can understand the argument. I'm not saying I'm won over completely, but I understand the argument. If the idea is that we would hold a top 10 (I pulled that number out of thin air) player to a different standard than a top 1000 player, then I'm not on board at all.
It's also worth considering that famous people are held to higher standards just by virtue of having more attention on them. If a nobody smash player committed a crime outside the smash community, they wouldn't be banned from tournaments because no one would even know about it. (Unless regular background checks are the standard for everyone, but I don't think they are?).

Is that fair? I'm not sure of the correct answer myself.

Orca

Yeah, we celebrate football and hockey players who have done far worse. If the guy served his time, he should be eligible to play. If he does anything, then kick him and ban him. Having him banned because people feel uncomfortable he's around starts that whole 'slippery slope' argument of who's next to get banned.

Tomohawk

Giving people who he has made uncomfortable more time to decide if he has really done his time. Given Melee is at a point where it needs to be very careful about how it cultivates its community going forward, welcoming in a volatile player who is only a year off of an assault charge after a series of other actions that has a chunk of the community weary of him isn't going to do any good if it pushes out more people.
His misconduct is outside the tournament scene though and people are going to be wary of a felon no matter what. Hes already been to multiple tournaments since release without incident, the best course of action in my opinion would be to closely observe his actions and ban him if he becomes volatile.

I'm not saying I'm won over completely, but I understand the argument. If the idea is that we would hold a top 10 (I pulled that number out of thin air) player to a different standard than a top 1000 player, then I'm not on board at all.

This. Top player privilege is something I greatly dislike. No one should be allowed to get away with worse than what a newcomer would get disciplined for.

But technically Shiz hasn't done anything at a tourney yet so, we'll see what happens.

plufim

If they let him play then they are prioritising a good falco player over women in the community feeling safe.

Top Bottom