• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KOTOR 2 screens

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
920194_20040826_screen001.jpg

920194_20040826_screen002.jpg

920194_20040826_screen003.jpg

920194_20040826_screen004.jpg

920194_20040826_screen005.jpg

920194_20040826_screen006.jpg

920194_20040826_screen007.jpg

920194_20040826_screen008.jpg

920194_20040826_screen009.jpg

920194_20040826_screen010.jpg

920194_20040826_screen011.jpg

Bregor

You know what I would like? A Spaceballs RPG. If they can satire the movies, they can satire the games.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
You know we've reached a ceiling technically when devs have to resort to post-render effects like filtering to make a game look cool.

IJoel

DaCocoBrova said:
You know we've reached a ceiling technically when devs have to resort to post-render effects like filtering to make a game look cool.

No. KotOR certainly doesn't reach a technical 'ceiling'.

They wanted to dedicate their resources to churning out a game fast.

Look at Jade Empire and you'll see a big difference.

In any case, SCREW THE SCREENS, GIVE ME THE GAME!

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
JackFrost2012 said:
PLANESCAPE.
TORMENT.

LOOK IT UP, MORONS.

Obsidian Entertainment = Black Isle Studios >>>>> BioWare
There's nuggets of truth to be found in this post.

What the hell is wrong with you people? Has everyone forgotten how great the storyline was in the original? Throw in the incredible storytelling prowess of the Black Isle/Obsidian folks for the sequel, new graphic effects, planets, and Force powers, bake and enjoy. You don't know how good you've got it.

Ungrateful so-and-sos. *grumble*

IJoel said:
They wanted to dedicate their resources to churning out a game fast.

This is what Obsidian/Black Isle does - they take existing engines and make better games than the original developers. By not rebuilding the engine from the ground up, they can focus on things like making non-Jedi characters useful in combat, having more interesting moral choices, and having a story that's actually good and not based around finding goddamned Star Maps - I had thought that elemental crystal-style plotting had died with the SNES, but KOTOR proved me wrong.

Also: The Fibonnacci sequence. The 3x3 light grid. The Towers of Hanoi. I look forward to solving puzzles NOT lifted from Bob's Big Book of Brainteasers.

KOTOR II is going to be so, so, so, much better than KOTOR I.

KOTOR is an 8!

Gattsu25

Banned
Juhani's voice > Bastila

and again...since this thread is SO FUCKING SIMILAR to the last one:

Gattsu25 said:
Thank God that graphic whores get to miss out on great games because of how shallow their tastes are
Gattsu25 said:
Tre` is right...you guys really need to stop with this bullshit...some genres greatly benefit from advanced graphics but RPGs are one of the few that honestly don't need them as much as others...some of the best games in this genre aren't even 3D so just be glad that a new game (that is sure to be great) is being made or reconsider why you play RPGs

Prine

Banned
Bastilla rocks.

Obsidian did say some of the previous characters will make it into the sequel, hope she's one of them. But then there are no more Jedi alive in KOTOR II, so i dunno

Gattsu25 said:
Juhani's voice > Bastila

and again...since this thread is SO FUCKING SIMILAR to the last one:

I am no graphic whore but they re using the same freaking skins from the last game. And also all the environments shown so far look like shit (dark too)

I mean look at this

soo awesome

swkotor2004-06-0311-44-44-75.jpg

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Yeah, pity it looks shit. If only we could get Obsidian to do all the game design and have Factor 5 do the graphics, DQ-style. Could you imagine how awesome that game would be?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Unless things changed, they arent planning on using the same skins in KOTOR2, they were place holders in the E3 build.

The levels in the E3 build aren't part of the game, they were specially created, this was mentioned in one oft he designer diaries, to check out some of the real locations look at www.swkotor.com

I wouldnt count out Bastilla coming back either, in one form or another.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
One of these days I need to get back in to playing so I can finish KOTOR... I wonder if I can pick up where I left off or if I'll have to restart....

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
JackFrost2012 said:
KOTOR is an 8!

I was so digging everything you said in this thread so far until you said this... Damn Jack.. I like you!!

why do you make me hurt the ones I like?

nice. comparing higher rez pc screens with AA to what seems to be xbox grabs.

apples are indeed better than oranges.

KOTOR2 will be about gameplay and story, not gfx.
lets stay on target.
i would imagine the screens where posted, not to create a storm about gfx quality but more about content.

Azih

The quality of the writing, scenes and scenarios will determine whether KOTOR 2 will be better than KOTOR, the idea that how dark/light you are will affect your entire team is a VERY GOOD enhancement of the original where the only one really affected was Bastilla and the wookie and will make playing through the game two times much more fun (which is amazing becasue KOTOR 1 already had an amazing 2nd playthrough).

But dammit I also want prettier graphics! FIRE ONE OF YOUR WRITERS AND HIRE A TECHIE OBSIDIAN! I WANT IT ALL!

Edit: Frankly I don't buy the 'it's alll abouttt the connnntent' whining. The content is paramount but making it look prettier than the original adds a level of polish that is very very appreciated. At least the capes flutter I guess.

Edit #2: Though y'know if all they do is fix the repeating NPC faces problem from Kotor then KOTORII will be a win as far as I'm concerned.

The graphics look fine to me. It definitely been downgraded but hopefully the tradeoff will be better framerate. Or maybe they're planning for a PS2 port.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DaCocoBrova said:

What are YOU smoking? Not only are post-processing effects rather expensive...they are where we need to be heading. The PC is finally starting to see some similar effects as well, thankfully. Hitman Contracts makes fantastic use of post-processing effects, though it takes a MASSIVE hit on performance. The game runs at 60 fps without a hitch with those effects disabled...but even at 640x480, the game spends most of its time much lower when the effects are enabled. The results are well worth it, though, as the game looks very bland without them.

Azih wrote:
"Edit: Frankly I don't buy the 'it's alll abouttt the connnntent' whining. The content is paramount but making it look prettier than the original adds a level of polish that is very very appreciated. At least the capes flutter I guess."

so you say the content is paramount? but you call 'pro-content-ites' whiners? ;)

im confused.

epmode

chris avellone's involvement means it's an instant purchase for me, but i wish the in-game environments/characters looked more like the awesome concept art. something is definitely lost in the translation.

Azih

You can be right and still be whiny Templar. Especially if you go after people complaining about the graphics. I mean this *is* a sequel, better graphics are a very very reasonable thing to expect.

Azih said:
You can be right and still be whiny Templar. Especially if you go after people complaining about the graphics. I mean this *is* a sequel, better graphics are a very very reasonable thing to expect.

it was only a gentle ribbing my friend. and i do agree. sequel should not mean gfx reduction. but given the track record of the people involved and of course the supervising company, there must be a reason for it.
the trade off must be a very good reason.

i dont think its to make Jade Empire look better...

Malakhov

Banned
Funny how people are suddenly caring for KOTOR's graphics. KOTOR 1 had absolutely shitty graphics but that didn't stop the game from being one of the the best RPGs of all time.

mrmyth

It wasn't all that shitty, for what it threw around. It could get boring looking at the same areas sometimes, but you weren't supposed to be looking at the graphics. You were supposed to be killing Sand People. Every single one of them. And not just the men, but the women, and the children.....they're animals! And I slaughtered them like animals! I hate them!

err...yeah.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
Malakhov said:
Funny how people are suddenly caring for KOTOR's graphics. KOTOR 1 had absolutely shitty graphics but that didn't stop the game from being one of the the best RPGs of all time.

I thought KOTOR's graphics were fine at the time, and I somehow doubt I'm the only one. I think the complaint alot of people have is simply that the games look too graphically similar. It really looks as though they've made no changes to the engine. That doesn't mean it won't still be a great game, but when all you have to go by on an upcoming game is the screenshots and the impressions of others, it makes it look dissapointing.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
JackFrost2012 said:
This is what Obsidian/Black Isle does - they take existing engines and make better games than the original developers.

Woah, hold on there -- Obsidian hasn't released a game yet. While many of their staff have excellent pedigrees, let's hold off and see what they're able to do as a company with KOTOR 2 before assuming that everything they do is going to be "better" than the original.

Remember, some of the BIS folks went to Troika, too...

Acosta

It looks the same, but it actually is better than the first one in movement.- The extra animations and some improvement with the framerate makes it more nice to see.

Overall, I´m absolutely sure that from a narrative point of view (history, dialogue, light/dark development...), this game is going to be better than the first one. There are crazy talented guys behind that

Top Bottom