• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member

ecf5c77e-6d56-4275-89f7-253618378070.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess

Platforms:

• Xbox Series X/S (Jul 19, 2024)
  • PlayStation 5 (Jul 19, 2024)
  • PC (Jul 19, 2024)
  • Xbox One (Jul 19, 2024)
  • PlayStation 4 (Jul 19, 2024)
Trailers:

Developer: CAPCOM CO., LTD.

Critic Reviews​

AltChar - Asmir Kovacevic - 75 / 100

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is a very good game that mixes some genres that seem unmixable, but once you start to play it, you see that the combination of action RPG and strategy tower defence is not just possible but highly likeable.

ComingSoon.net - Tyler Treese - 9 / 10

A wonderfully fresh combination of genres that probably shouldn’t mesh as well as it ultimately does, Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is a unique and thrilling game that shows just how creative Capcom can still be.

Nexus Hub - Sahil Lala - 8.5 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is a throwback to Capcom's daring PS2 days in all the best ways - a fast, strategic and challenging action-RTS that blends genres to great effect.

One More Game - Vincent Ternida - 9 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami is more than just a visually appealing game; its unique gameplay style offers a dynamic action-strategy experience that is truly worth your time. The mechanics are intuitive and easy to implement, allowing you to focus on the overall strategy without overthinking. Its user-friendly customization is remarkable, enabling you to play at your own pace while consistently challenging you with its well-designed game mechanics.
The presentation of Kunitsu-Gami is exceptional. From the music and aesthetics to the simple yet engaging storytelling, the game’s world is beautifully crafted. You can take the time to appreciate its originality and cultural elements through its many extras. It is a fully realized world, with every element contributing to its charm, providing something to marvel at during your downtimes.

PSX Brasil - Portuguese - 80 / 100

Quote not yet available

Press Start - James Mitchell - 8.5 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess succesfully brings together elements of the tried-and-true strategy and action genres to offer up something truly unique. While there will be debate about how worthwhile the replay value is here, Path of the Goddess leverages some incredible enemy and objective variety to keep things fresh from beginning to end.

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 8.5 / 10

Kunitsu-Gami: Path of the Goddess is experimental Capcom at its best. While some of the fights can teeter on feeling unfair the majority of the game is a glorious mix of hack-and-slash action with a heavy dose of tower defense. It’s launching directly into Game Pass and is well worth checking out for anyone looking for 14+ hours of a damned good time.

Last edited:

ssringo

So far it's about what I expected from reviews. Not a big fan of tower defense but I had a lot of fun with the demo and will be purchasing it day 1. I trust Capcom to deliver.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

Got mine pre-ordered already. They could have at least gave us some avatars lol. Looks like im going to be playing this all weekend as I don't anticipate my physical College Football 25 shipping out til Friday(Best Buy let me down for the first time last time, im expecting the same from here on out) itself thus getting here Monday or Tuesday next week.

So im using the PS5 twitch/youtube tab to the left watching Evo 2024 while playing Kunitsu-Gami all weekend it is.

Last edited:
Tried the demo, it's not for me, besides the artwork/art-direction I found everything else to be blah and I find tower defense shit to be insufferable so, unfortunately, I won't be giving my money to Capcom.

Now, fookin' Pragmata on the other hand...
Hope it's not vaporware/stuck in dev hell

Last edited:
If it's anything remotely similar to Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, the game will be damn fun.

I didn't know this new game was a tower defense hybrid. FFA is the same and is incredibly fun. I'll need to look into Kunitsu, had no idea it was being released already.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Loved the demo, but waiting for $20 price tag after discounts this winter. $50 for this is just unacceptable and unrealistic.

SJRB

Gold Member
I saw Lirik play this a week ago and it looked pretty cool, but asking 50 euros for this is basically sending the game out to die.

50 bucks is ridiculous.

I will buy the game, but I'll wait for a discount. I loved the art style and aesthetics but at $50 and being a Tower Defense game does not sits well with me.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Does anyone else hate this phrase?

"A wonderfully fresh combination of genres that probably shouldn’t mesh as well as it ultimately does."

Like, this is Capcom. They're expertise is making games. You haven't made a game in your life. Why do you think you know what can and what can't work together? I find it so snotty.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

"A wonderfully fresh combination of genres that probably shouldn’t mesh as well as it ultimately does."

Like, this is Capcom. They're expertise is making games. You haven't made a game in your life. Why do you think you know what can and what can't work together? I find it so snotty.
what-are-you-talking-about-huh.gif

Do you just randomly post shit at this point?

[Sigma]

Fun times. Done two levels so far plus the bosses for them(along with 1 base, working on the second base). Will start back up later today while watching evo at the same time.

The demo absolutely sold me on it, didn't have much interest when it was first revealed. Creative and old-school in it's weirdness, harkens back to the PS1/PS2 days when we got lots of quirky, smaller titles, good stuff 👌

The argument of ‘you haven’t made _____ so you aren’t qualified to review _____ ‘ might work in your everyday office job, but it doesn’t translate 1:1 in things like art and entertainment.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The argument of ‘you haven’t made _____ so you aren’t qualified to review _____ ‘ might work in your everyday office job, but it doesn’t translate 1:1 in things like art and entertainment.
That's not really what I'm saying. I have no issue with non developers reviewing or critiquing games. I'm talking about the idea that a non developer would have any basis to know that certain combination of genres shouldn't work as well as it does.

My brain instantly goes to "Well how would you know? You haven't made games using these genres." Other observations in the review make sense from a non developers perspective.

near

Gold Member
I enjoyed the demo so I bought it. Not sure when I’ll start playing, I still haven’t got around to Shadow of the Erdtree, so it will be a while before I touch this.

bender

What time is it?
Started this today and stopped after I got the first achievement. I realize there is more to this than just the combat, but said combat doesn't feel all that great. Kind of floaty.

calistan

This game is excellent so far. Didn't know what to make of it at first - like, am I meant to fight the monsters or direct the villagers?

Turns out it's both, but luckily not at the same time. You freeze the action and reposition your fighters to cover different lanes as the monsters creep towards your maiden, then run around helping out wherever you're needed.

Love the look of it, too. And the split gameplay, where the maiden dances along her path to purify the landscape in the daytime, and you fight to protect her at night. This would have been a cult classic if it came out 20 years ago, hope it doesn't get lost in today's noise.

bender

What time is it?
The presentation is lovely. I'm still early on but the combat lacks any sort of impact and kind of feels like something a Western studio would develop.

calistan

The presentation is lovely. I'm still early on but the combat lacks any sort of impact and kind of feels like something a Western studio would develop.
I think the combat isn't really the point of it. As far as I can tell, you just go to wherever you're needed and activate the appropriate combo for air / ground / crowd control or whatever. There's not much more to it than that.

The challenge comes from managing your resources - like, should I spend all my crystals on carving the spirit path, or should I defend for the night to top up my reserves. I had a really good one where the woman was down to her last sliver of health on the final day, because I misjudged the crystals needed to get to the end.

Earlier there's a level where you're forced to manage the battle remotely, so it's all about strategy with no direct combat at all.

bender

What time is it?
I think the combat isn't really the point of it. As far as I can tell, you just go to wherever you're needed and activate the appropriate combo for air / ground / crowd control or whatever. There's not much more to it than that.

The challenge comes from managing your resources - like, should I spend all my crystals on carving the spirit path, or should I defend for the night to top up my reserves. I had a really good one where the woman was down to her last sliver of health on the final day, because I misjudged the crystals needed to get to the end.

Earlier there's a level where you're forced to manage the battle remotely, so it's all about strategy with no direct combat at all.

I get that and I'm still early on but combat does play a part and it's a little lackluster considering Capcom's pedigree for action games.

calistan

Got a bit further in this now, and there's a lot of variety in the levels. Sometimes you just have a single area to defend, or you have no villagers to deploy, or a really narrow path, or no main character to use.

I'm finding the upgrade system to be a bit grindy though. You get so little for repairing the bases, but you have to check back with each of them after finishing a level, otherwise your workers will stop building.

The main dude has a huge amount of upgrades to buy, including stuff that seems like it should be standard (extra controls for the tactical view). Unless there's a huge drop of upgrade points coming my way it doesn't seem possible to buy it all before the end.

Last edited:
It`s a shame that the game is basically over the moment you finally have all the tools at hand and many of the upgrades from the main char should seriously have been standard functionality, like all the orders for the tactics screen.
The roundtrips to all the previous stages to gain crystals or finish repairs after every round is also really really needless tedious padding imho.

I really do like the gameplay itself though.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
Combat is mediocre/floaty, the graphics are exhausting, and giving tasks to villagers in an action game? I lasted 10 minutes before deleting it. Some of these new types of games make you feel like you're trying to make a new friend after 30; tiring and lacking excitement, usually not worth it.

Top Bottom