• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kutaragi Hints at 12+ Hour PSP Battery Life

akascream

Banned
Heh, I think its pretty safe to say that this is actually confirmation of a lower battery life. But I'm not sure its as big a deal as it used to be, now that we have rechargable batteries and all.

Mrbob

joshschw said:
He must mean when they release a new model and screw all the people who bought launch units.

As long as the offer the battery for sale I see no problem with this. If you are so concerned about battery life wait until Sony has the new and improved battery out. Otherwise you can't bitch and complain about improvements down the pike when you decide to become an early adopter.

joshschw said:
He must mean when they release a new model and screw all the people who bought launch units.

Nope. I think he's hinting that SCE believes that firmware and battery upgrades will continue to increase PSP's battery life over the course of its lifecycle.

jarrod

Banned
PSP is going to get a hardware revision at some point though... remember Kutaragi's early talk of various PSP models, it being more of a "brand" than a specific machine?

Revisions aren't bad though, look at PSone or GBA SP.

In the future all sorts of things are possible.

There hear and now is what concerns some. I see no real problem with the current PSP battery life.

Yusaku

The solution wouldn't be a better battery, but a PSP that uses less power. IE early adopters will get fucked.

Arcticfox

Different manufacturing processes will increase the battery life a ton. Once they start producing the PSP using the 65nm process they will be using for the PS3 you can expect at least a 20% longer battery life than the current 90nm process.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
joshschw said:

You mean like Nintendo released a GBA with better screen lighting?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
IMO, it's beneficial to steer clear of Sony electronics at launch. The Playstation brand in particular does not have a very good track record.

jenov4

CrimsonSkies said:
"He must mean when they release a new model and screw all the people who bought launch units."

They all do it.

Exactly, just like any other mass consumer product. ipods, mp3 players, gameboys, gameboy color, gameboy advance, dvd burners, cd burners, hard drives. etc etc.

It'll run for a long time when playing puzzle games, but shorter when playing Ridge Racer, for example.

Isn't there a seperate 3D graphics chip on the PSP. It's probably powered down when your playing 2D puzzle games.

Elios83

I've read that Sony's goal was 3 million PSPs worlwide by March 2005.
In this article Kutaragi says (if the translation from the Japanese has been done correctly) they can produce 3 million in a year.That seems a bit low and in contrast with the first forecast.

jarrod

Banned
seismologist said:
Isn't there a seperate 3D graphics chip on the PSP. It's probably powered down when your playing 2D puzzle games.
You mean the GPU? Uh... not unless they expect the CPU to handle everything...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
maybe they'll do uprated batteries like they do for their camcorders.

The standard one is nice and slim and does you for a couple of hours.

Or you can buy a big fucker that lasts 4x as long and sticks out a mile. They could do the same for PSP if you don't mind upsetting its sleek lines.

jarrod

Banned
seismologist said:
Yeah the 3D portion of the GPU is probably powered down. The CPU can handle 2D on it's own.
Well, that might work for something like Puzzle Bobble, but if you want 2D visuals past what SNES could do what happens?

jarrod said:
Well, that might work for something like Puzzle Bobble, but if you want 2D visuals past what SNES could do what happens?

They'd have to use more GPU so those games like Vampire Chronicles will probably suck alot of juice.

Brofist

Well the PSP will last from Narita to NY now..if you have a seat in business class and access to a power outlet :p

MassiveAttack said:
"In the future, we’re hoping that the PSP can last without a recharge [during a full flight] between Narita [Tokyo international airport] and New York," said Kutaragi.

All of you are taking this to mean battery upgrades. I say he's got a source in a Mach 10 project at Boeing.

WarPig

CVXFREAK said:
From Narita to New York? Sheesh, Sony's aiming for quite a battery life.

Narita to SFO sounds more realistic.

Narita to NY's only two or three more hours, actually. At that point it's not much of a difference.

DFS.

cvxfreak

WarPig said:
Narita to NY's only two or three more hours, actually. At that point it's not much of a difference.

DFS.

I thought it was more like four hours or so... then again, this is from Narita to NYC and not the other way around. :p

mr2mike

Banned
Well the fact that the PSP's battery has 1800 mAh plastered on it, kinda tells you right there they didn't go all out on batery power.

Of all possible reasons, one is probably to keep the cost of the unit down. the're already loosing a bundle on each machine, they dont need to loose more by giving you a premium battery.

They're most likely at work right now on a high amp battery pack that would last that flight, only they're not telling you about it now, because hey wanna figure out how much they want to charge you for it first.

Brofist

I've taken a decent amount of flights between NY and Japan, many of which connected in SF.

NY-SF takes 5-5 1/2 hours
SF-KIX takes 11-12 hours.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
MassiveAttack said:
“The Walkman only ran for about two hours when it first came out, too.”

So he basically admits that the PSP's initial battery life will be 2 hours? That's weak.

WarPig

kpop100 said:
I've taken a decent amount of flights between NY and Japan, many of which connected in SF.

I never flew into Kansai International. Is that a more convenient ride into Osaka than going from Narita to Tokyo? Having to hop the train from Narita into town's always a pain, thirty-dollar train ride on the N'Ex and it takes a while on top of that.

DFS.

joshschw said:
Early adopters ALWAYS get screwed one way or another. PS2 has had multiple revisions as well.
Mrbob said:
As long as the offer the battery for sale I see no problem with this. If you are so concerned about battery life wait until Sony has the new and improved battery out. Otherwise you can't bitch and complain about improvements down the pike when you decide to become an early adopter.
The PSP will most likely undergo hardware revisions along with a better battery. It's not just going to be a better battery (although 3rd party peripheral companies might help out in this department). Sony'll find ways to maximize power management while streamlining the innards of the PSP eventually.
human5892 said:
IMO, it's beneficial to steer clear of Sony electronics at launch. The Playstation brand in particular does not have a very good track record.
Wisest post in this thread.

Brofist

WarPig said:
I never flew into Kansai International. Is that a more convenient ride into Osaka than going from Narita to Tokyo? Having to hop the train from Narita into town's always a pain, thirty-dollar train ride on the N'Ex and it takes a while on top of that.

DFS.

About a $10, 30-40 minute train ride from Kansai Int to Osaka station. By shuttle bus closer to $20.

bobafett

The main problem is: devices that produce electro-magnetic fields (CDs spinning) are forbidden during the flights.

Kutarowned.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Even the Walkman only lasted 2 hours at first?

What about the fucking GBA and GBA SP? Sony may have beaten the world to the punch with the original Walkman, but they're 15+ years late on the handheld scene.

Pimpwerx

bobafett said:
The main problem is: devices that produce electro-magnetic fields (CDs spinning) are forbidden during the flights.

Kutarowned.
Interference is a result of the circuitry, not the spinning disc. It's a result of current running through wires. So that's why they ban ALL devices. And I think it's a crock since airplanes should have better shielding than that. PEACE.

shoplifter

kpop100 said:

This does not mean that NY-KIX or NY-Narita (can't remember the code) takes 16-17 1/2 hours, if you were to do a non-stop. This is due to the courses that planes fly and the fact that it retains airspeed instead of slowing down for landings.

edit: just sayin' is all

Miburou

Narita to NY is around 11-12 hours. The earth isn't flat, so what seems like a much longer flight on a map doesn't necessarily translate to that in reality (for example from Paris to Vancouver is almost the same time as from Paris to Toronto). For some reason when going from NY to Narita, the trip is longer by a couple of hours (because of the earth's rotation, perhaps?).

cvxfreak

Miburou said:
Narita to NY is around 11-12 hours. The earth isn't flat, so what seems like a much longer flight on a map doesn't necessarily translate to that in reality (for example from Paris to Vancouver is almost the same time as from Paris to Toronto). For some reason when going from NY to Narita, the trip is longer by a couple of hours (because of the earth's rotation, perhaps?).

I thought it was dependent on the jetstream when going east from Narita and Incheon...

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

... i am missing something, or has Kutaragi just hinted that the PSP only lasts 2 hours?

"...too" ?

cvxfreak

DCharlie said:

... i am missing something, or has Kutaragi just hinted that the PSP only lasts 2 hours?

"...too" ?

Nah. He clearly meant that we need to just get over the PSP's shitty battery life and wait for the better one to come.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Good question - slightly different translation over at IGN doesn't include the "too"...

"In the future, we'd like to have it so that you can use [the PSP] continually between New York and Narita without charging," Kutaragi states. "However, the Walkman originally had a battery that lasted only two hours."
http://psp.ign.com/articles/561/561952p1.html

Maybe someone will get around to a complete translation of the Impress interview itself...?

Top Bottom