• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lady Gaga to play bisexual Countess on AHS; pics & some new info on her TV role

Status
Not open for further replies.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Gaga just finishing filming her 8 episode stint on the upcoming season of American Horror Story, saying she had a great time in the role. This is her meatiest role yet (formerly appearing in small roles in the sequels to Machete and Sin City).

0zxXHtx.jpg

The role sounds really interesting:

According to EW, Gaga’s Countess — who owns the titular Hotel Cortez — sustains herself with a nutritious diet of sex and blood, but Murphy hesitates to call her (or her lovers, Matt Bomer’s Donovan and Finn Wittrock’s Tristan) vampires… “I prefer the term ‘ancient blood virus,'” he says. “It’s not vampires. It’s really a form of hemophilia in a way. There’s no capes and fangs.”

The Countess, Donovan and Tristan all carry the virus, which causes the hosts to crave human blood — but since they’re lacking fangs, the characters instead kill their victims with a suitably Gaga-esque chainmail glove, complete with razor-sharp nails.

Entertainment Weekly’s “Hotel” cover story sheds a little more light on Lady Gaga’s mysterious Countess, previously described by Murphy as a bisexual “wealthy social doyenne” who is “consumed with art and fashion and people, and she has a nefarious plan that is revealed in the first episode.”

She did a striking photo shoot with EW to promote the role:

xlVEeBq.jpg

QNx4hUv.jpg

GeeKfff.jpg

n1TLIJ4.png

Rto6ZfF.jpg

Personally I can't wait. This is the most excited I've been for a Gaga project since Born This Way, it's really just Gaga in every sense of the word. I predict the role could be this fall's TV water cooler talk in offices across North America. Maybe an award nomination?

Monocle

Could be cool. I'm really looking forward to this season of American Horror Story. It has a much more interesting premise than Freak Show.

That gauntlet is working for me.

Show has been consistently disappointing. Can't plot worth a god damn. The premises of each season were always interesting to me too but the execution stays garbage. I like cheesy stuff so if that's what it's attempting to do it fails miserably.

Monocle

Show has been consistently disappointing. Can't plot worth a god damn. The premises of each season were always interesting to me too but the execution stays garbage. I like cheesy stuff so if that's what it's attempting to do it fails miserably.
The characters always entertain me. It's why I love Coven.

Didn't think she was this hard up for money after her failed music career.
Bit of an exaggeration there.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
I'm happy to see Hollywood is finally evolving past choosing "actors" for roles based on sex appeal or attractiveness. We've come a long way as a society

Lady Gaga's campy (over-)acting will fit right into the show's tone. I'm probably gonna check it out.
Tony Bennett tired of carrying her?
So, you think Cheek to Cheek would have been as (or even more) successfull if it hadn't been a collaboration with Lady Gaga?

Partition

Banned
looks like she's playing herself again then. fitting I guess since she cannot act whatsoever. (not that AHS requires such anymore anyway)

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
She gives off some great Horror-Glam vibes, like Alice Cooper meets Ziggy Stardust.

Expecting this to be trash based on the last few seasons though. Even Asylum is beginning to be tainted retroactively.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Man...she looks old in these pics. Like 55.

Please see an optometrist.

What the hell? 8 episodes? Sounds like her character is doomed from the start!

She's in 8 of 13 episodes. They said that was the most they could get her for as she has a really busy schedule (likely working on new album) but it's probably spread across the season, not just the "first 8".

Let's see how she acts. She has the look down, but sometimes AHS can be pretty over the top.

Didn't think she was this hard up for money after her failed music career.

Her last album got a Grammy (her 6th one) and she got a standing ovation at the last Oscars. I wish my career was as bad as her. :p

this show is such a letdown every season. The premises are so promising but they fail to deliver and it's not really worth watching at all.

BHK3

Banned
Has AHS improved at all since like 3/4 through of season 1 it went to shit? I saw some of season 2 and couldn't stand it.

enigmatic_alex44 said:
Maybe an award nomination?
It certainly wouldn't be the first award nomination that AHS received despite being terrible.

Best of luck to her, though. I do genuinely enjoy her as a performer.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
They could hire a truly amazing actor with serious cred for a role in AHS and i still wouldn't trust it. Been burned too many times by this series and hiring freakin Gaga does not - in any way - inspire any new confidence.

enigmatic_alex44

They could hire a truly amazing actor with serious cred for a role in AHS and i still wouldn't trust it. Been burned too many times by this series and hiring freakin Gaga does not - in any way - inspire any new confidence.

LOL what? So Gaga's critical acclaim, numerous Grammys and other awards and time in the entertainment industry don't count as cred now?

She's a perfect fit for this kind of role. This isn't a gimmick, it's an inspired casting decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom