• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lance Armstrong compares himself to Bill Clinton, hopes to be forgiven like Bill was

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/14/lance-armstrong-bill-clinton-compares-hero_n_2878512.html

Drawing a parallel between himself and Bill Clinton, disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong in a recent interview expressed a hope that his scandal will one day be forgiven, just as the former president's was.

“Ultimately, people forgive and forget and remember the good stuff you did,” he told Texas Monthly's Michael Hall in the magazine's most recent issue.

“Is it hard to do? Yeah. But Clinton did it -- he loves to work, he loves people, he loves to hustle. He’s a hero of mine. He’s a tough guy, he’s smart, surrounded himself with good people. And ten years later, he’s president of the world. It can be done,” he continued, referring to the uproar that surrounded the Monica Lewinsky affair and Clinton's subsequent return to public favor.

But Armstrong, who called the reaction to his confession that he had used performance-enhancing drugs a "bloodbath," admitted also that lasting repercussions of his fall from grace will likely be felt for a long time.

“The stain’s not going away -- my girls will grow into it. My two little ones will grow into it. This stain will live forever. I’ll never get rid of it,” Armstrong, who was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles last year, told the Texas Monthly.

During a highly anticipated interview with Oprah Winfrey in January, Armstrong confessed to doping and admitted that his story had long been "one big lie."

Reuters reported on Thursday that doping lobby group Change Cycling Now is now calling on Armstrong to issue a more comprehensive confession.

"What upset me most," the group's founder, Jaimie Fuller, said of Armstrong's doping, "[was] the way he abused people, the way that he just climbed all over people, the win at all costs. I had a conversation with him not long ago and I said to him it's going to get worse for him before its gets better. I think he's bit delusional." Fuller went on to add that Armstrong should "come clean" and tell the world "everything."

Though Armstrong has been keeping a relatively low profile since his Oprah interview, TMZ reported this week that the athlete was spotted in Los Angeles and speculated that the former pro cyclist was in town to discuss two rumored movie deals. J.J. Abrams is believed to be spearheading a biopic for Paramount Pictures, while Jay Roach is said to be planning an Armstrong film for Warner Bros.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
LOL, Bill was likeable and only got a blow job. Lance is a complete dick wad that ruined peoples lives and stole money and fame from real athletes that could hack it.

mernst23

All he needs is another fuckup of epic proportions in cycling to captivate the American public and then have that fuckup fall from grace from a higher point to make us remember how much we miss Lance.

In cycling.

Raiden

Banned
What did we need to forgive Clinton for anyway? Because he liked women a bit too much just like a huge portion of us scumbags.

Christ if only.

dark_chris

LOL, Bill was likeable and only got a blow job. Lance is a complete dick wad that ruined peoples lives and stole money and fame from real athletes that could hack it.

Basically this -
Bill was likeable and was able to overcome it and such. Especially when he apologized.
Lance well... he did drugs and acts like a dick.

No comparison

Was Clinton's alleged "abuse of power" in his coverup ever detailed? Armstrong's lawsuits against people who accused him of cheating and profiting immensely off his tainted wins seem to be more egregious than Clinton saying he "did not have sexual relations with that woman".

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'll never forgive this guy for making so many people pretend to give a shit about bicycling.

That's the real crime here. The millions of overweight moms and dads wearing cycling pants. Yeesh!

I don't even feel like Bill ever did anything wrong. Lance on the other hand was complicit in destroying an entire sport which I enjoy, so fuck him.

geebee

Banned
He just needs to shut up, apologize and then disappear. Maybe write a book in 10 years. Just long enough for people to forget about him and his book bombs.

Tom_Cody

His cheating invalidates his accomplishments, and in the absence of those accomplishments there is no reason to care about him as a public figure.

someday

Banned
millions of dollars towards cancer research?
Again, Livestrong gives no money for cancer research. This is a misconception that does no favors. I'm not saying the foundation does no good, but the millions in research is a falsehood.

Again, Livestrong gives no money for cancer research. This is a misconception that does no favors. I'm not saying the foundation does no good, but the millions in research is a falsehood.

Yup.

Lance cheated and destroyed other people to get to the top. He's a piece of garbage who still hasn't admitted everything he did. As someone else said, his best bet would be to just go away and wait for time to cause us to forget about him.

Bill gave us prosperity and swag.

Lance gave us....

um?

The pride of beating the French in their big sport?

But good point . . . Clinton helped deliver peace & prosperity. Amstrong largely just helped himself. I guess he has the charity thing but I don't know what that did.

Eusis

Bill Clinton's slipup was unrelated to his governing, directly anyway. That's one of the biggest differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom