• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

laptop memory problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lazy

I'm trying to upgrade the memory of my Acer TravelMate 3012 WTMi. Here are the relevant specs for what type of memory it can handle.

Acer TravelMate 3012WTMi memory upgrade and 1x 512MB PC2-4200 200-PIN DDR2 533MHz SO-DIMM RAM module specifications:

Acer TravelMate 3012WTMi MAX RAM: 4GB
This TravelMate 3012WTMi has memory slots/sockets: Two (2)
Upgrade Size: 512MB
Memory Kit: 1x 512MB
Module PIN count: 200-PIN
Memory Generation: DDR2
Module Speed: PC2-4200, DDR2-533
MHz of Module: 533MHz
Latency of Module: CL4
The Acer laptop DIMM Type: SODIMM, SO-DIMM, Small Outline DIMM
Non ECC

This is the RAM I bought.

System Notebook Memory
CAS_Latency 5-5-5-15
Capacity 4GB (2GB x 2)
Speed DDR2-667 (PC2 5300)
Test_Voltage 1.8 Volts
PCB 6 Layers
Registered/Unbuffered Unbuffered
Error_Checking Non-ECC
Type 200-pin SO-DIM

I think I confused DDR2-533 with PC2-5300. Is this memory, therefore, incompatible with my motherboard? When I insert both 2GB sticks, the computer does not boot. If I insert one, everything works fine.

Put some Ginkgo Biloba in the DVD drive.

Most motherboards will scale back to pair the motherboard DIMM/SO-DIMM speed with the module speed. Odds are that it will work; the primary concern is getting the correct pin count, which you did.

Lazy

WickedAngel said:
Most motherboards will scale back to pair the motherboard DIMM/SO-DIMM speed with the module speed. Odds are that it will work; the primary concern is getting the correct pin count, which you did.

In that case any idea why the computer doesn't boot when I have both 2GB sticks in? I know Windows XP 32-bit (which is what I'm running) supports a maximum of 3.5 GB of RAM. Is there a setting I need to manually adjust for this?

Mudkips

Banned
Motherboard should run both fine if it runs with one fine.
Do BOTH of the new sticks work when installed alone?

What about if you install only 1 stick into the second slot (leaving the first slot empty)?
It's possible that the second memory slot is physically borked.

Mudkips said:
Motherboard should run both fine if it runs with one fine.
Do BOTH of the new sticks work when installed alone?

What about if you install only 1 stick into the second slot (leaving the first slot empty)?
It's possible that the second memory slot is physically borked.

Might also be violating the max memory supported by the board, though I couldn't find that in the quick search I did.

Mudkips

Banned
WickedAngel said:
Might also be violating the max memory supported by the board, though I couldn't find that in the quick search I did.

Read the OP.

Max is 4 GB.
2 slots.
Factory shipped with 1x512MB stick.
He bought a 2x2GB set.
Runs fine when he has 1x2GB stick in, but not with both.

Lazy

Yes, I've tried both sticks alone (in separate slots), and it works. Just when both sticks are in, the computer doesn't boot.

Mudkips said:
Read the OP.

Max is 4 GB.
2 slots.
Factory shipped with 1x512MB stick.
He bought a 2x2GB set.
Runs fine when he has 1x2GB stick in, but not with both.

:lol Not sure how I overlooked it right in the OP.

Lazy said:
Yes, I've tried both sticks alone (in separate slots), and it works. Just when both sticks are in, the computer doesn't boot.

Do you mean that the computer doesn't boot to Windows or that it doesn't come on at all?

Lazy

WickedAngel said:
Do you mean that the computer doesn't boot to Windows or that it doesn't come on at all?

It doesn't boot to Windows. It doesn't even reach the Bios prompt (the screen where it says something like "hit F2 to enter the bios").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom