• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowser

Well, I'm off to college in the next few months, and I need to purchase a laptop. Preferably, I want to be decided on a laptop by Monday (since that is the last day to order a laptop through the university in order to have it ready by Orientation this June). First, here are the university (UNC-CH)'s minimum requirements:

Students in the class of 2010 are required to have a laptop that meets or exceeds the following minimum specifications. Both CCI models meet or exceed the specifications below:

* Processor: Intel Core Duo 1.8 GHz
* Memory: 512 MB
* Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
* Hard Disk Drive: 80 GB
* Drives: DVD Read and CD Read/Write Capable
* Graphics: 64 MB Video Memory
o 1024 x 768 Resolution or better
* Audio: 16 Bit Audio
o Speaker
o Microphone
* Communication devices:
o Wireless (802.11b compliant and 64 bit WEP capable)
o 10/100 Ethernet
o Bluetooth
o 56 K Modem
* Expansion Ports (at least one):
o USB 2.0
o Type I/II PCMCIA Slot
o Type III PCMCIA Slot
* Display: 14" TFT Display
NOTE: While I have considered getting an Apple laptop, I've come to find that UNC-CH generally frowns upon Apple devices as they have trouble receiving some e-mail that are important as well as having trouble connecting to the network, therefore I'm ruling Apple Laptops out to be safe.

The school offers three different models of IBM Lenovo ThinkPads. All laptops come with a full four-year warranty (1 year on battery), a 4-year insurance policy, a software package (including Adobe Photoshop Elements, Adobe Premiere Elements, Microsoft Office 2003 Pro), a laptop lock, approved compatability with the network, free Wi-Fi, and 24/7 computer support including an on-campus repair service (which also issues loaner laptops when yours must be kept over days to fix). Here are the two models I'm considering:

Note: All laptops include Gigabit Ethernet, Wireless 802.11 a/b/g, Integrated Bluetooth, Internal 56k modem, 16-bit audio with integrated speaker and microphone, Integrated Biometric Fingerprint Reader, and 4-year warranty

ThinkPad Z61t
*Intel Core Duo T2500 2.0Ghz
*1GB RAM (1024MB) DDR2 667 Mhz
*14" WXGA Widescreen Display
*Resolution: (1280x768)
*100 GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
*DVD(+/-R)/RW Dual Layer
*Integrated Intel Graphics 945 Chipset
*4.9 lbs
*5.5 hr battery life
*Integrated Camera
Total Price: $2,385+tax ($464 towards software+insurance)

ThinkPad T60
*1GB RAM (1024MB) DDR2 667 Mhz
*15.1" SXGA+ TFT Display
*Resolution: (1400x1500)
*100 GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive
*DVD(+/-R)/RW Dual Layer
*ATI Mobility Radeon x1400
-128 MB/PCI Express Graphics
*5.9 lbs
*6.2 hr battery life
Total Price: $2,505+tax ($479 towards software+insurance)

Now, I've heard mixed reviews on these laptops; some people think they are great and that the software package, comprehensive insurance and warranty really take it over the top and are well worth the extra cash. Others say that the ThinkPads are not that great and that while the software package and insurance policy are awesome, the laptops WILL encounter problems and it might be better to look for a cheaper alternative.

If I don't purchase a laptop through school, I plan on getting either a Dell or Toshiba (and I've heard mixed reviews on both of these as well). Here's a sample set-up and price I would get from Dell:

Dell Inspiron E1505
*1GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm
*15.4 inch UltraSharp™ Wide Screen SXGA+ Display with TrueLife
*100GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive
*8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
*256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory
*Intel® PRO 3945 and Dell 350 Bluetooth Internal Wireless Cards
*85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
*Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy® ADVANCED HD Audio
Total Price: $1,893+tax ($111 towards MS Office 2003 Pro, no insurance)

So...whaddya guys think?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Er, what the fuck? Minimum specs on a laptop? "Don't suggest apple"?
I remember when I was at a college in Japan for one summer and had my iBook with me. They told me that "Apples don't work with their network" and I showed them that I had set it up just fine. They were mighty angry.

Yeah, unis seem to think only Microsoft made products are acceptable and even have courses in learning random Microsoft programs.

impirius

http://www.techbargains.com/tellafriend2.cfm/62999/best_price_new_dell_home_pc_coupons_-_loaded_$2000_inspiron_e1705_notebook_for_$1150_cheap_sale_wholesale

Ultra Loaded Inspiron E1705 17in Core Duo Notebook $1150

7.94lb Inspiron E1705 Desktop Replacement Centrino Notebook Intel Core Duo T2300 1.66Ghz, 17in WideScreen, 512MB/Free 100GB, CDRW/DVD, 802.11g wireless, 1yr warranty, XP Media Center for $1249 + $751 in options = $2000 - $750 off coupon - $100 off coupon = $1150. Free shipping.
Bump this up to 1.83GHz and 1GB RAM and buy some games with the money you'll have left over. :)

edit: welcome to the Triangle! :D

MacBook Pro. Fuck "don't suggest Apple." That's like saying "Hey guys I am buying a car and I want it to be really great but don't suggest Ferrari."

Get a MacBook Pro and dual-boot it with Windows XP.

impirius

Bowser said:
Wow, great deal, but can I get something smaller than a 17in? I'd rather have a 14-15in screen.
Use that $300 off TechBargains coupon and spec out a E1405 like so:

Inspiron E1405 Dual Core $1059
Inspiron E1405 Intel® Core™ processor Duo T2400 (2MB Cache/1.83GHz/667MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
14.1 inch WXGA+ UltraSharp™ TFT Display with TrueLife™
1GB DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz, 2 Dimm
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 950
100GB Hard Drive
Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy® ADVANCED HD Audio
Dell Wireless 1390 Mini Card (802.11b/g, 54Mbps)

Comes out to $1059 with that config. (I bumped up CPU, RAM, HDD, monitor, CD burner). Don't be shy about bumping up more of the specs or adding a warranty or Office, either; once the base price is above $1499, you can use a $450 off coupon instead.

goodcow

hahahaha.

Tell them to go fuck themselves, and buy a MacBook. Minimum requirements my ass, they're just getting kickbacks from IBM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom