• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light |OT| - Play This GOTY Contender

I am so stuck at the part with two fists and it says you have to bomb it. Playing coop.. theres 2 switches in front. Besides an ammo cache. Anybody know what to do there?

dralla

im playing single. i placed bomb in front of hand, stood on switch, detonated bomb. might be different for co-op

FrankT

burgerdog said:
Steam and psn are going to eat a lot of its sales because of the delay.

Kind of still doubt that with the 360 getting the first DLC free, but I will say that it would help if they released the co-op sooner. Playing online tonight my friends are asking about it for sure(co-op). So people are certainly aware of the situation. I do see people waiting for it however. Still game is great.

fernoca said:
Is doing around the same, not Limbo-like but from what I remember; Hydro Thunder, Castlevania and Monday Night averaged at around 10k per day. (Right now says 8,513)

Not too bad then. Still it would be a lot better if I had to guess.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Hooked up my 360 and still had some points sitting on my account. I was a bit skeptical after seeing the videos but I'm really loving the game. The TR atmosphere is captured really well and they managed to get a nice action spin on it. Really liking the combat and how the platforming and puzzles are mixed in nicely to keep up with the fast pace. This is better then a lot of full priced games I've played recently. :D

Nemesis_

Whenever I hear Totec speak, I think of this:

3966-15859.jpg

dralla

golf ham i <3 power bomb. on the toxic swamp level, one of the challenge is to "heal" the rock. the fuck does that mean?

and the power assault rifle with spread! fuuuu

MrDaravon

Jtyettis said:
Kind of still doubt that with the 360 getting the first DLC free, but I will say that it would help if they released the co-op sooner. Playing online tonight my friends are asking about it for sure(co-op). So people are certainly aware of the situation. I do see people waiting for it however. Still game is great.

I had two people online tonight I was talking to who both bought it to play it online and had NO idea that it wasn't in at launch, and they were both absolutely furious. Unless you follow gaming news/sites I don't really think people have any damn idea.

Hige

dralla said:
on the toxic swamp level, one of the challenge is to "heal" the rock. the fuck does that mean?
You have to push a spiked rock ball up several ramps and through the level back to one of those green healing fountains.

Ashes

Banned
Is this going to be on psn soon? or do I have to download on x360?
edit: nm, looks like it's out late sept.

nevermind my stupid question, me and my gf didnt realize Lara can drop bombs too.

Beat the first 4 levels. This game is fucking great! A TON of fun co-op, cool puzzles, awesome platforming and satisfying combat. Only problems so far is the camera angles can be a little obnoxious and for some reason we couldn't get one challenge door open even though we were both on a switch. 9/10, INSTANT PURCHASE if you want a COOP game; there haven't been very many in a long time.

dralla

on flooded passage, first challenge tomb. I got the artifact and the red skull but the 2 skulls on the entrance are still lit up. is there something else in there or is it a glitch. I don't see anything, but I am missing 1 more skull for the challenge

Chris R

So watching video this is like a slower console version of Alien Swarm. Hope PSPlus gets a discount because I can see this being lots of fun :D

koene

Played a couple of levels with a friend last night. So far it's really worth the money. Gameplay is fun, especially the coop features, and the controls are pretty easy. The ingame achievements (forgot what they're called) are also cool to hunt. Achievements overall are pretty easy. We got half of them the first few levels :)

It's also cool to see where you've been (or where you're going) in the background. It makes the levels feel more 'grand'.

Can't wait to continue!

xbhaskarx

I'm not sure what to do at (what I presume is) the end of the Spider Tomb, when
the spiked thing rolls towards you on the bridge...

Also, I hate it when things that should work within the game don't, for example
I tried to dash across the bridge by pressing X, but even though I made it before the spiked thing dropped down, it wouldn't let me by
and
I tried to get the last skull before the bridge by jumping down from the staircase above it, but I was unable to jump off the stairs.

Hige

xbhaskarx said:
I'm not sure what to do at (what I presume is) the end of the Spider Tomb, when
the spiked thing rolls towards you on the bridge...

Also, I hate it when things that should work within the game don't, for example
I tried to dash across the bridge by pressing X, but even though I made it before the spiked thing dropped down, it wouldn't let me by
and
I tried to get the last skull before the bridge by jumping down from the staircase above it, but I was unable to jump off the stairs.
Hang off the left side of the bridge and let the trap roll past you.

One time I died a cheap death because the wall run didn't work correctly. I think I didn't jump in the precise direction the game wanted and Lara's model quickly flashed at a few locations on the screen before being slingshotted backwards and landing on the spikes. It was kind of funny except for losing 5k score for that death...

Played the demo, had the points ready before it was even over. It controls really well, and it does have a much better job of conveying the Tomb Raider atmosphere than I first expected. The only thing bugging me is that there's all these switches screaming, "Why aren't you playing co-op!?" And considering what they're doing with only patching in the online co-op once the PSN and PC versions are up for sale too, it bothers me a little. Also, it pretty much forced me to keep Lara using spears 90% of the time, at least for the first level.

And that's right, Nemesis, it really is Jim Cummings doing his Razoul voice, and in my opinion not particularly well, either. Lara's voice is alright, so far.

Nemesis_

Kulock said:
And that's right, Nemesis, it really is Jim Cummings doing his Razoul voice, and in my opinion not particularly well, either. Lara's voice is alright, so far.

Lara is perfect in my opinion. The voicing is well, the writing not so much. But I am pretty sure it's the same actress who did Lara in Legend, Anniversary and Underworld anyway.

Hank The Tank

Neo Member
Hige said:
Hang off the left side of the bridge and let the trap roll past you.

One time I died a cheap death because the wall run didn't work correctly. I think I didn't jump in the precise direction the game wanted and Lara's model quickly flashed at a few locations on the screen before being slingshotted backwards and landing on the spikes. It was kind of funny except for losing 5k score for that death...

Ah, but that's what Tomb Raider is all about, isn't it? :p

Dynoro

Nemesis556 said:
Lara is perfect in my opinion. The voicing is well, the writing not so much. But I am pretty sure it's the same actress who did Lara in Legend, Anniversary and Underworld anyway.
Yep its Keeley Hawes iirc

eshwaaz

Kulock said:
Cummings is extremely talented, but he is woefully miscast here. It makes me cringe whenever Totec speaks.

Played through the first level last night; very good so far.

dralla

yea, there's a pretty shit 'bug' in the level with all the bridges you need to raise and lower. There's a part later in the level where you can fall down to an area you've already beaten and if you fall you have to start the whole level over because you've already blocked off access to where you were :[

other than that, about 60ish percent through and this my favorite DD game of the year so far, unless something goes horrible wrong with with the last 40 percent.

Nemesis_

This has inspired me to go and complete the DLC for Underworld. I think I bought both of them but never actually finished off Lara's Shadow. >_>

Dynoro

Nemesis556 said:
This has inspired me to go and complete the DLC for Underworld. I think I bought both of them but never actually finished off Lara's Shadow. >_>
Little heads up; the final 15 seconds of Lara's Shadow can be a right pain in the ass

nubbe

It kinda looks like Tomb Raider but with the camera pulled far out.
What I miss is the sense of exploring... too much action/adventure for my taste.

derFeef

nubbe said:
It kinda looks like Tomb Raider but with the camera pulled far out.
What I miss is the sense of exploring... too much action/adventure for my taste.
What did you expect from an action/adventure/not tomb raider game?

dralla

im missing 4 red skulls in 'belly of the beast'. i looked everywhere. blew up all the pillars, hoped on all spider stones, hung off the ledges where you can't see...nothing :[

found them.

JRW

Played the demo and bought it, So far im liking it but think I encountered a bug in the 2nd level where your looking for sun dials, the music kept repeating this annoying rift through most of the level.

It just didn't sound like it was an intentional theme to play 24/7 so im guessing bug.

Adam J.

Me and my gf are stuck on the part where there is a giant ball attached to a rod that is spinning around. We tried slowing it down with the hook-shot rope thing, but it wouldn't work. We're having a blast with this game, but we've been stuck on this for like 30 minutes. lol.

Shurs

Adam J. said:
Me and my gf are stuck on the part where there is a giant ball attached to a rod that is spinning around. We tried slowing it down with the hook-shot rope thing, but it wouldn't work. We're having a blast with this game, but we've been stuck on this for like 30 minutes. lol.

Drop a bomb in the path of the ball and blow it up when the ball is in the blast radius.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Bombs are used in a lot of puzzles. If you get stuck, try bombing things. Remember they are unlimited.

Ok, spent a good 7 hours playing on single player. Now I know what the fuss is all about. Aside from it being a game that drew me because of the character, it's ultimately a game that'll keep you coming back simply because it's too much fun to play. The puzzles make you think but don't frustrate you, the enemies -- most of them -- are easy kills but never repetitive because it feels soo satisfying, the story, or whatever it is in the game, is cheesy but intentionally so, and it works given the nature of the game.

I never thought I'd say this, but I'd really love to have more of this IN BETWEEN Tomb Raider games. I can't say CD is going to have lessons learned from this game FOR the pillar releases -- cause they are totally different genres -- but at least they more or less have an idea of what the audience wants in terms of innovation for the series in the form of downloadable releases. I just hope the great accomplishment they got from making this game will translate to renewed interest in the franchise.

...Now I just have to pull a random stranger from the street to play co-op with me. No one else in this house is a gamer. :\

JRW

Well I had a hard time putting this game down, I played up to level 7 tonight and definately feel I got my moneys worth, Game is a lot of fun.

Adam J.

Shurs said:
Drop a bomb in the path of the ball and blow it up when the ball is in the blast radius.

We tried that but it was not working. I played the SP version of this puzzle and it worked fine though. I'm thinking that maybe it was glitched up. I'm loving the hell out of this game, but I have noticed that it's kinda buggy. I've encountered a few instances when the giant boulder things physics go haywire. No big deal though, I'm sure they will iron out these little bugaboos in the near future.

Hige

Just beat it. I'm impressed with the replay value the game has with all the level challenges. You can't really do a speed run and get the high score challenge in one go, so you pretty much have to play each level twice at the very least. That might seem like an artificial way to extend the gameplay, but doing a speed run has a different approach from a high score run so it still feels like a new level almost.

Also, I like how there's a lot of little rewards along the way like new weapons and artifacts. Trying out new weapon and relic combinations is kind of fun, but towards the end of the game I had a relic with 4 stat boosts on it so I didn't change it anymore.

I think the downside to the game is the bland storyline; it doesn't feel fleshed out. Xolotl pops up every now and then with some dialogue and disappears, what's the point? I guess it's kind of a B-movie approach so I didn't take the story seriously anyway. :lol Finally, Totec's voice doesn't fit the character and he also does the voice of Xolotl so it doesn't feel like there is much depth to the characters when 2 of the 3 are voiced by the same guy in almost the exact same voice.

All in all it's an enjoyable game though, well worth the $15 even for a single player experience (though I really want to try out the co-op). Here's a tip for the score challenges: filling your relic meter will double the points from enemies, and maxing it will triple the points. I didn't realize this until almost the end of the game and the How to Play section doesn't seem to mention this, maybe it's mentioned in an in-game tutorial.

voltron

Any other single player impressions?

I love coop play in games but I hate having to rely on other people to play a game I wanna play. I know I will end up playing it mostly single player.

So I wont be disappointed?

voltron said:

I love coop play in games but I hate having to rely on other people to play a game I wanna play. I know I will end up playing it mostly single player.

No, you won't be. I cant speak for co-op since i havent played it, but the singleplayer mode is tailored so that the experience feels complete even without a partner. I know i wasn't disappointed; TONS of fun even with just singleplayer playthrough. Had a blast figuring out the puzzles. So satisfying when you get them done right.

Nemesis_

voltron said:

As the French review said, they've scaled it really well. Simple things, like including a little cutscene where Totec gives Lara his spear so she can use it in puzzles, whereas in co-op you'd rely on Totec to use his spears instead.

I am very impressed with how Crystal Dynamics have handled this, neither experience feels tacked on or half assed.

Top Bottom