• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light |OT| - Play This GOTY Contender

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
fernoca said:
Is doing around the same, not Limbo-like but from what I remember; Hydro Thunder, Castlevania and Monday Night averaged at around 10k per day. (Right now says 8,513)

First week sales:
Monkey Island 2 - 14,740
Blacklight - 49,688
DeathSpank - 34,467
Limbo - 166,243
Hydro Thunder - 53,563

edbrat

eh I know I said free online signup with the Times in my previous post but I'm no longer sure this is correct.

When I entered my email details into

http://www.offersinthetimes.com/laracroft/

it sent me the code which I entered into XBL and started downloading.

However I never actually paid for Times Plus - I did however sign up for the Times Plus trial when it started a few months back. I don't believe you can do this anymore so unless you signed up during the trial period you might not be able to do this for free. I just tried logging into Times Plus and got the "you need to pay!" page so I might be the beneficiary of a small loophole.

personally I am feeling v spawny cos I usually never "win" stuff like this :) Looking forward to checking it out, EG review makes it sound great.

FrankT

Stumpokapow said:
First week sales:
Monkey Island 2 - 14,740
Blacklight - 49,688
DeathSpank - 34,467
Limbo - 166,243
Hydro Thunder - 53,563

These will provide a good measure for first week. Sitting at 20023 atm.

dralla said:
other than that, about 60ish percent through and this my favorite DD game of the year so far, unless something goes horrible wrong with with the last 40 percent.

I would have to agree myself tied with Limbo. At this point I'll likely pick up all the DLC if it is decently priced. The single player game stands out by itself so I can only assume the co-op will be just as good granted the net code holds up.

Also Fiery Depths is a beautifully designed level. A cross between say Black Rock Depths and Khazad-dum.

burgerdog

Beat it this afternoon and there's still a ton of things left to do. As Hige already said, you need to clear stages at least twice if you want to complete all the challenges. So worth the $15 they're asking for.

Online coop, please!

Finished it this afternoon. The game is great. I finished it in about 8 hours I'd say I have another 4 left in order to unlock everything.

It really is a shame online co-op didn't make it in. Do we know why it was left out? My guess is that there was some game breaking bug found in cert and they had to take it out quickly to make the summer of arcade deadline.

snoopeasystreet said:
Finished it this afternoon. The game is great. I finished it in about 8 hours I'd say I have another 4 left in order to unlock everything.

It really is a shame online co-op didn't make it in. Do we know why it was left out? My guess is that there was some game breaking bug found in cert and they had to take it out quickly to make the summer of arcade deadline.

It's really a shame these games are Summer of Arcade titles - the deadline made MNC push through without proper QA and LC got pushed through without online co-op. I'm hoping both games receive polished patches that address this nonsense, but I'm a little pessimistic about "we'll fix it later" updates.

My wife and I played through the demo and it was really fun!

Now I just gotta wait for the PSN version in a month, as she HATES the 360 controller and refuses to play anymore =/

Just played the demo and really enjoyed it, especially the challenge tombs.

Do they get fairly complex later in the game? The two in this demo are very simple.

edbrat

Opus Angelorum said:
Just played the demo and really enjoyed it, especially the challenge tombs.

Do they get fairly complex later in the game? The two in this demo are very simple.

got to the end of the second level, some of the challenge rooms i have no idea how to do and have been reduced to randomly setting off bombs and trying stupid jumps. I would say i am pretty crap at puzzles though :(

LOVE this game though, solid controls, combat feels satisfying, atmosphere is great. I will definitely run through this again for the extra bits once i have completed and some coop would be great with this too, early days for me but this game so far strikes me as pretty damn good (and i never even liked the old tomb raider games!).

Safe Bet

Banned
Didn't see it after quick-scanning the OP, which btw is beautiful...

Any word if the PC-version will feature a Campaign Editor?

Rad-

I think the release of this title is pretty fucked up. From my perspective I'm not buying this yet because of the lack of co-op and it arrives in the middle of the Reach craze so I bet I'm not buying it then either. And by that point, I might as well wait that extra few months for a sale (and October - November is so packed anyways).

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Opus Angelorum said:

Yeah, the challenge tombs get pretty crazy especially in the last levels.

FrankT

Just completed it. Awesome download game to be sure. Top notch on pretty much everything save some of the voice work. One of the best of the year so far. Now to unlock lots and lots of challenges/loot. Looking forward to all the DLC and of course the online co-op.

Oh yea Spear of Death is sick.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
Played some coop today and its a much better experience, its ridiculous they did not ship this with online coop.

eshwaaz

I'm up to the 5th level (playing solo) and I totally agree with all of the positive impressions here.

The level design has been fantastic so far, and I love the challenges and incentive for replay.

The game looks great; one of the best-looking XBLA/PSN games to date. There's some very nice lighting, and many little details (falling dust and debris, tapestries that ignite and burn if exposed to flames, destructible props, etc.) that many full-blown retail games lack. The isometric view allows for a sense of scale that's different than a standard Tomb Raider game, but still very effective. Lara's animation is excellent as well - her flailing leap looks much more natural than the equivalent animation in Uncharted 2.

I'm really liking this trend of "big small games" like Lara Croft, Shadow Complex, etc. These kinds of games would never see the light of day as retail products, but the downloadable space seems to have become the perfect home for these kinds of games.

I hope this game sells well enough for EA to look at it and think, "an isometric action/adventure game sold well... hm... Crusader: No Remorse..."

Zertez

How is the loot in the game? I played the demo, but it was tough to tell on the different kinds of loot you would recieve. I dont expect the game to have the depth of loot like D2, but I like to customize my loot and builds in dungeon crawling games.

Rad- said:
I think the release of this title is pretty fucked up. From my perspective I'm not buying this yet because of the lack of co-op and it arrives in the middle of the Reach craze so I bet I'm not buying it then either. And by that point, I might as well wait that extra few months for a sale (and October - November is so packed anyways).

I'm the same way. Would have loved to buy the game but the no online is a deal breaker to me instantly. Now when the online is released there will be other things that are taking my attention away so it's Square's fault for any lost sales on this great game.

Zertez said:
How is the loot in the game? I played the demo, but it was tough to tell on the different kinds of loot you would recieve. I dont expect the game to have the depth of loot like D2, but I like to customize my loot and builds in dungeon crawling games.

The loot system isn't very deep. You get new guns which allow you to shoot dudes differently. You can equip two artifacts which boost your attributes (speed, defense, attack, bombs). There's also one relic which you can equip. This will do something like regenerate health or give your guns spread shot when you max out the meter at the bottom on the screen.

Peff

Zertez said:

Well, it's definitely on the very light side. Basically you have several different weapons with statistics but they share a single bar of ammo (it's easy to get back though), and then can equip two artifacts that change the character's four stats (strength, defense, the power of the bomb and speed), the first ones give an advantage and a disavantage but later on you can get just an advantage or even several advantages at once. Lastly, you have a third slot to equip relics, which give a special boost (more power, faster shots, regenerate life) when a bar is filled, but it goes away as soon as you're hit. It's a decent system to toy around with but it's not very complex, the focus is definitely on the puzzles and positioning well during combat rather than how well managed your equipment is.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I can't believe people don't LOVE Keeley Hawes. I think she's been awesome as Croft for the past three games.

V_Ben

Banned
Y2Kev said:
I can't believe people don't LOVE Keeley Hawes. I think she's been awesome as Croft for the past three games.

I saw her in the London production of Othello. She's a fantastic actress, and does a great job here. Massively underrated in my opinion :D

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Tried the demo, not buying until it has online coop. lol. sorry.

I did have an idea though. They should do another movie and JWoww should play Lara.

eshwaaz

Holy crap, the Forgotten Gate level is fantastic.

I've replayed every level immediately after beating it to try and complete additonal challenges. I'm going to get 8 hours out of this game, easy.

I'm so happy to see all the positive responses to this game. I was worried it wouldn't be any good.

Changing living situation means I'll be looking for some cool co-op games real soon. Can't wait.

Jaroof

This has probably been answered already, but in the OP it says the 360 version will get online coop on September 28th, the same day the PSN one releases.
Does this mean that only the 360 version will have coop, or does it mean the PSN version will be released with online coop?

burgerdog

Jaroof said:
This has probably been answered already, but in the OP it says the 360 version will get online coop on September 28th, the same day the PSN one releases.
Does this mean that only the 360 version will have coop, or does it mean the PSN version will be released with online coop?
Xbox gets a patch that day and psn/steam are released with online coop enabled.

Jaroof

burgerdog said:
Xbox gets a patch that day and psn/steam are released with online coop enabled.

Awesome! :D Thanks.
Just tried the demo of this game with a friend and we had a blast.
Too bad I have to wait a month..

Adam J.

Just beat the SP campaign.
The final boss was a real prick, but I wouldn't expect anything less of a character that is voiced by the guy who also did Pete off Goof Troop.

This is definitely a GOTY contender for me, right up there with Bayonetta, Limbo, and Red Dead. A damn near perfect game in my book, and I don't even like Tomb Raider. Really interested to see what kind of DLC they will do in the future.

After beating the SP mode twice over, I am currently feeling the itch to play this in co-op mode. No one here knows a fuck how to even hold a controller. Yeah. Sept 28 is too far away. Looking forward to the DLCs though.

9/10:

Pros:
+ Great platforming.
+ Some amazing puzzle design.
+ Variety of weapons
+ Best coop game in years.
+ Incredible graphics, sound.

- No online coop yet.
- Totec voice acting.. yikes
- Awful story, dialogue.
- Few small glitches, bugs.
- Not enough ammo around!

+- Final Boss/level can be fun but VERY frustrating and tiring.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I just bought this...what was the deal MS had again? This is my third summer of arcade title, can't remember if that means I get 400 back.

Papercuts said:
I just bought this...what was the deal MS had again? This is my third summer of arcade title, can't remember if that means I get 400 back.
yep

http://www.xbox.com/community/events/summerofarcade/default.htm

Purchase all 5 Summer of Arcade games: Limbo, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, Hydro Thunder Hurricane, Castlevania Harmony of Despair, & Monday Night Combat before August 31, 2010 11:59pm EST, and receive 1200 Microsoft® Points — FREE! (Or, purchase at least 3 Summer of Arcade titles and receive 400 Microsoft Points for FREE!

PSGames

Ok how many have gotten the "Beat a better mousetrap" activate all the floor spikes achievement? :D I'm pretty proud of myself for that one. Took a minute to figure out! I'm loving this game so far! Sooooo worth the 15 space bucks!!!!

Jackson

DevelopmentArrested said:
9/10:

Pros:
+ Great platforming.
+ Some amazing puzzle design.
+ Variety of weapons
+ Best coop game in years.
+ Incredible graphics, sound.

- No online coop yet.
- Totec voice acting.. yikes
- Awful story, dialogue.
- Few small glitches, bugs.
- Not enough ammo around!

My thoughts almost mirror this. This is my favorite game of SoA this year. Limbo was unique, and MNC was good, but this was almost pure bliss for my and my buddy.

Purchased this last night and I'm on the 4th level, very good thus far. The sub-missions and challenge rooms really improve the longevity, and surprisingly for a 'Tomb Raider' game the combat is actually quite fun.

Beautiful graphics (although the resolution seems low when zoomed in), fantastic level/puzzle designs and overall very fun and rewarding to play.

To those holding out on the co-op, the single player is very competent in itself. I wouldn't let let be a barrier for purchase.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Picked it up as well. A huge surprise for me. It really is as good as people are saying and possibly one of the best games Crystal Dynamics has ever created.

FrankT

The final boss I didn't really think was too frustating. Although there is one part of the final encounter that can be and especially so in working to get it under 10 minutes for the Spear of Death challenge. I got it, but it took a few resets to say the least.

Jtyettis said:
The final boss I didn't really think was too frustating. Although there is one part of the final encounter that can be and especially so in working to get it under 10 minutes for the Spear of Death challenge. I got it, but it took a few resets to say the least.
theres one part in the final final fight where i got so annoyed
fire golem dudes keep spawning + no ammo = wow. also mad meteors = wow.

this game made me want to go play uncharted 2 again

burgerdog

DevelopmentArrested said:
theres one part in the final final fight where i got so annoyed
fire golem dudes keep spawning + no ammo = wow. also mad meteors = wow.

this game made me want to go play uncharted 2 again
You missed two artifacts that give you the ability to regen ammo, I only know of two, there may be more. Ammo regen made the boss a cakewalk, killed him on first attempt and in 8 or so minutes so I got the spear and I never have to play that chapter again.

Top Bottom