• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last question... do I need more than a 350W power supply for this new system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

goodcow

For Wellington, yes, this should be the last post, as I have all my components picked out, and some already ordered, but I don't know if I need a better power supply...

I'm pretty sure I'm getting this case, which has a 350W power supply in it... do I need something more powerful?
http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=11-130-142&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE

SPECS:
-> Pentium 4 3.0C Northwood core
-> Abit i875P Max II motherboard
-> 1GB PC3200 RAM
-> ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
-> TDK 48X CD-RW
-> Sony DRU500AX (DVD-/+RW)
-> 74GB Serial ATA Western Digital Ratpor
-> 120GB IDE Western Digital
-> 30GB IDE IBM
-> SoundBlaster PCI soundcard
-> External 200GB firewire Western Digital
-> External 80GB USB2 Western Digital
-> (potentially) Five port firewire card
-> (potentially) Five port USB2 card (probably not needed due to motherboard hookups, but might as well leave it in, right?)
-> (potentially) another NIC (board has a gigabit NIC inside, but I have two NICs currently for networking with the XBox/Dreamcast)

Thanks again in advance, and sorry if I'm annoying some of you. *glares at Wellingtons*

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
goodcow said:
For Wellington, yes, this should be the last post
Thanks again in advance, and sorry if I'm annoying some of you. *glares at Wellingtons*

And yet you tell me to let it go in the last post. Well, far be it for you to do your own research and learn something, right?

xsarien

daedsiluap
(potentially) another NIC (board has a gigabit NIC inside, but I have two NICs currently for networking with the XBox/Dreamcast)

Why not just use the cash and buy a router instead? You'd have the added bonus of some models including firewalls.

fart

Savant
nics are cheaper.

use one thread jesus.

your options are 1) trial and error or 2) calculation based on parts specifications

remember, P = IV!

Matlock

Banned
Wellington said:
And yet you tell me to let it go in the last post. Well, far be it for you to do your own research and learn something, right?

story.clinton.salute.ap.jpg

xsarien

daedsiluap
fart said:
nics are cheaper.

use one thread jesus.

your options are 1) trial and error or 2) calculation based on parts specifications

remember, P = IV!

I dunno, considering that shopping list, I think he can spare another $20 to step up to a router. Besides, why get one extra ethernet port when a router can give you about four more, plus added security?

goodcow

Wellington said:

Because I really don't know where to even begin getting power ratings for all my devices, and this forum is here to ask questions, along with all the other entertainment posts? And my jabs at you here were also just that, little jabs, and I didn't mean anything by them, I'm not holding anything against you.

goodcow

xsarien said:
I dunno, considering that shopping list, I think he can spare another $20 to step up to a router. Besides, why get one extra ethernet port when a router can give you about four more, plus added security?

Hey, I'm long due for an upgrade, and I've been even more stingent with my money the past year or so than usual. Plus I need to upgrade so I can run After Effects properly, and learn that, not to mention it'll make Premiere Pro NOT run like ass anymore.

xsarien

daedsiluap
My two cents: I would've started a rather generic, "I'm building a computer..." thread instead of focusing multiple ones on specific components. The forum automatically subscribes you to threads you post in, and threads you create. Everytime a new question entered your head, you could've just bumped it. :p

Matlock

Banned
SONIC HEROES PART 2: I'M BUILDING A PC AND NEED TO DEPOSE OTHER THREADS FROM THE FRONT PAGE DUE TO MY OVERBURDENING EGO

fart

Savant
asking questions is fine just keep it in one thread

since the thing comes with a psu and you apparently can't operate the world wide web to find information, just start putting it together, and if the power supply isn't cutting it (eg, if it spontaneously reboots during periods of high draw) replace it.

without any information about the actual power supply unit or the draw of any of the devices none of us are going to be able to give you any better advice than that other than, "if you're worried and think it won't work buy a bigger one"

You can find wired routers for $20 bucks now. They're really not that expensive and they're well worth the price since they 1) offload NAT duties to a separate dedicated device, saving CPU cycles for other things 2)you don't have to have your PC on all the time to use the rest of the network. 3)THEY'RE ONLY $20 FUCKING BUCKS

goodcow

xsarien said:
My two cents: I would've started a rather generic, "I'm building a computer..." thread instead of focusing multiple ones on specific components. The forum automatically subscribes you to threads you post in, and threads you create. Everytime a new question entered your head, you could've just bumped it. :p

Next time I'll do that. Until my new parts arrive, and the new computer is up and running though, there won't be any more threads. :p

xsarien

daedsiluap
Some low-priced routers that'll get the job done, and keep you a hell of a lot safer than a freeware firewall* (plus, the added bonus of not needing your computer on when you want to use something else on the network):

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-122-008&depa=0
$34.99 after rebate

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=33-124-151&depa=0
$39.99

(*Not that having one installed in addition to the router is a bad idea, there are some Grade-A tools out there with "hacking" software and only a vague of idea how to use it.)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Most likely.

If you've got the cash, get Antec Truepower. Highly stable, and very quiet.

I just got 550 Watt TruePower, and I'm impressed.

It is also possible that the 350 watt will be able to keep everything running and not reset stuff, but hardware may run slower.

I remember my friends PC about 1 month before his PSU crapped out, his benchmarks went way down. Thought it was his video card. Then his PC starting restarting, and then wouldn't even boot.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The Shadow said:
You can find wired routers for $20 bucks now. They're really not that expensive and they're well worth the price since they 1) offload NAT duties to a separate dedicated device, saving CPU cycles for other things 2)you don't have to have your PC on all the time to use the rest of the network. 3)THEY'RE ONLY $20 FUCKING BUCKS
Caveat: A crappy router can seriously gimp your connection.

ChrisReid

Unless you're getting it for free somehow, dump the CD burner if you're getting the DVD burner. If you feel like you need a second optical drive, at least get a plain DVD-ROM so you can use it in conjunction with your DVD burner.

fart

Savant
Hitokage said:
Caveat: A crappy router can seriously gimp your connection.
very true. most off the shelf routers are workable now though. stick with the big taiwanese companies and you'll be fine.

Tekky

teh_pwn said:
Most likely.

If you've got the cash, get Antec Truepower. Highly stable, and very quiet.

I just got 550 Watt TruePower, and I'm impressed.

It is also possible that the 350 watt will be able to keep everything running and not reset stuff, but hardware may run slower.

I remember my friends PC about 1 month before his PSU crapped out, his benchmarks went way down. Thought it was his video card. Then his PC starting restarting, and then wouldn't even boot.

Computers run more slowly when they have inadequate power supplies? Where do you get this crap from?

In any case, to the original poster, the answer is not so easy.

Your system will probably run fine with a good 350W power supply. However, your case will not necessarily come with a Good power supply, whatever its rating may be. You might be okay, since you're looking at a $120 case by AOpen.

In your situation, a lot of people would get the insurance of buying a premium power supply, due to the larger than typical number of drives you'll be adding.

If a power supply is inadequate, you can expect the computer to act flaky: freezing, random errors, shutting down, etc. If it's truly overloaded, you might damage something in the power supply, but I think that modern specs require the supply to shut down instead of getting damaged.

Thaedolus

Just curious, but how do you determine how powerful your power supply needs to be? I've got a 350 W with a PIV that I routinely overclock to 2.7 GHz, as well as two HDDs, a DVD Burner and a 9700 Pro plugged into it. I've never had any problems, and I just lucky or can my supply handle the load? It should be noted it has another plug or two left as well, but are you recommending a more powerful supply due to his 5 drives?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
"Computers run more slowly when they have inadequate power supplies? Where do you get this crap from?"

It's not uncommon. Just because your not familiar with it, doesn't mean it's crap, jackass.

Did I not explain it in my post? My friend ran benches and his system was scoring like 3500 on 3Dmark2001SE. He has a Geforce 3. It used to run like 6000. Within days, his PC begins to randomly reboot. Later, it doesn't make it to the desktop and even later doesn't even beep bios.

He gets a new PSU, he's back at 6000.

Other people have similar experiences. I just looked around newegg PSU reviews:

http://secure.newegg.com/app/CustratingReview.asp?DEPA=0&item=17-103-922

"Awesome!!!!!!!! 3DMark2001SE scores went from 12000 to 15500 with just a power supply upgrade. Thanks NEWEGG ! "

"Ever since the ATi Radeon 9700 Pro came out I have been pushing it with the Turbolink 420W PSU that came with my Chieftec chasis. As I connected new devices to my PSU I slowly lost performance and did not realize what the problem was right away. I felt that it was more than likely the PSU, but a techie friend of mine made me believe that it was not. At one point I was getting scores of around 11,000 while running the 3dmark 2001 benchmark without doing any overclocking, but recently I was only getting scores of around 8,000. This was seriously xxxxxxx me off. I finally decided to see if it was a PSU issue by disconnecting both of my secondary hard drives (each 80 GB WD 7200 RPM w/ 8 MB cache) along with my 16x Aopen DVD-ROM drive & 52x24x52x Lite-On CD Writer). After simply doing this my scores jumped back up to around 11,000. To say the less I was relieved that it was only a PSU issue, but I was xxxxxxx that I had not taken care of this issue earlier. Now after getting this wonderful PSU not only am I getting better benchmark scores than ever before, (around 12,000 with no overclocking) but I am able to connect all of my devices with plenty of power to spare! I seriously recommend this for anyone who wants to get the maximum performance out of their system."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom