• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Mana |OT|

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
2rwtg5c.jpg

Developer: Square Co., Ltd.

Release Dates:
  • JP - July 28, 2010
  • NA - March 22, 2011

Platforms: PlayStation® 3, PlayStation® Portable, PlayStation® Network

Prices: ¥600, $5.99

Genre: Action Role-playing game

Modes: Single Player, Multiplayer

Summary:
Legend of Mana is set in the fictional world of Fa'Diel. The Mana Tree, the giver of mana and life for the world, burned down nine centuries prior to the events of the game. A war erupted between faeries, human, and others seeking the scarce power of mana that was left. When the war concluded, the drained Mana Tree slept and the many lands of the world were stored in ancient artifacts. A hero, controlled by the player, is self-charged with restoring the world, and its mana, to its former self. The Lands of Fa'Diel are populated with a large number of different creatures, including humans, faeries, demons, the jewel-hearted Jumi race, plant-like Sproutlings and Flowerlings, miner bears called Dudbears, and shadowy beings of the Underworld known as Shadoles. Fa'Diel is also the home of a host of anthropomorphic animals and objects, as well as monsters from other Mana titles such as Rabites, Chobin Hoods, and Goblins.

Review and Impressions:
Stumpokapow said:
Legend of Mana is the best game Squaresoft made on the PS1, the pinnacle of the Mana series, and probably their best game ever made.

If you played Legend of Mana once, as like a ten year old, and immediately exclaimed "lol this isn't secret of mana this is bullshit", you're basically a joke of a poster. There's a lot of people like this, perpetuating the myth that the game wasn't any good because it immediately put people off ten+ years ago because it wasn't Seiken Densetsu 2 part 3. Analyze the game with a level head and you'll see where it shines.

Although some games don't work when looked at from a reductionist standpoint, let's break Legend of Mana down into categories.

Music: Does Legend of Mana have garbage music? Well, no. The composer was Yoko Shimomura, who you would know from all the Kingdom Hearts games, Super Mario RPG, Parasite Eve, Little King's Story, and a whole lot more--and this is her best original soundtrack ever. It's a sprawling 50+ song soundtrack with virtually no duds, excellent synth samples, and lots of solid emotional notes.

Here's one of my favourite tracks; Youtube translates it as "The Great Virtue of Gathering Mana's Spirit. This is a moving piano place with interesting composition, a great piano sample and sound quality, and is used at a perfect place in the game.

Here's some kickin' rad fighting music; "The Darkness Nova". It's high octane and driving synth buttrock, which is about what you expect from fighting. Synth quality is a little bit lower here, but the composition is great. Actually, it reminds me a lot of Mystic Quest's better rock tracks, which is a huge compliment.

Graphics: Legend of Mana is pretty inarguably one of the pinacles of 2D, sprite-based graphics on consoles. You've got Excellent dialog portraits, Cool large boss sprites, and another, Beautifully rendered backgrounds, great use of colour, and another, and of course, great concept art. I don't really want to spoil anything here, but some locations like the final dungeon, the Bejeweled City, the seaside town, the Dudbear town, and a few others are spectacular.

Combat: Legend of Mana has truly excellent combat. The major decision they made that pays off is to get rid of being able to attack up and down, effectively making the game a true linear combat system; orient yourself to be on the same plane as the enemy, and attack. This makes combat feel significantly more precise that the earlier Mana games, where it was largely sloppy.

What kind of combat and combat-related mechanics do you have?
Well, you've got:
- You can discover at least 30 different combat moves (the game calls them abilities), largely by using existing combinations of other moves. This is really cool because it encourages experimentation and switching up your abilities. You start with a few basic skills; let's say Jumping and Retreating. Press jump, your character jumps. Press retreat, your character retreats. Press them together and s/he does a back-roll handspring. Combine high-jump with back-roll and you get a full backflip. Combine back-roll with back-flip and you've got flip-kick. At first you sort of intuit how skills come together, and you're generally rewarded with an ability that makes total sense. The best part is that this isn't grindy at all, doing this simply a few times will unlock the more advanced moves for use on your character.

- There are maybe 10 different classes of weapons. Battleaxe? We've got that. Bow and Arrows? We've got that. Just like that other Mana games, you've got an extraordinary leeway in how you want to play the game. Maybe you'd like to master all the skills, of course. Weapons bring with them techniques; techniques are special weapon moves which combine the unique attributes of the weapon you're using with the unique attributes of the abilities you've unlocked above. The game is excellent at integrating its manifold systems together and letting you use as few or as many as you'd like to use.

- Experience sharing is an interesting thing. When you kill enemies, they drop experience crystals. Your ability to share experience with combat partners depends on who picks what up. Very neat and simultaneously frustrating, just the way we like those kinds of mechanics.

- Weapons can be crafted. Your first playthrough of the game you probably won't bother, since you can use the stock weapons, upgrade them by buying new ones at stores, and move on. But if you so desire, you can multiply the strength of your end-game weapons by a factor of ten by using the awesome crafting system. Like crafting systems in most game's, Legend of Mana's is a little obtuse at the start (I won't hear anyone praise SMT's walkthrough-requiring demon fusion systems and criticize this one). The gist is that you apply raw materials which have obvious grades and organic items which don't and in the end you get a new weapon. If you want to engage in MMO-like min-maxing, the option is there. You can spends dozens of hours doing this. If you just want a quick boost, that option is there too. Awesome!

- Where do you get organic items, you ask? Excellent question. Remember that backyard orchard I posted in the screenshots above? There. You get seeds in the course of the game, and each seed matures, subject to some conditions, into a different fruit. So that's a second integrated crafting system to go along with the weapon crafting.

- So this pretty much describes all the aspects of the single-player combat system, but wait, there's more! As a free bonus, there's tons more you can do.

- First, two player co-op including a rudimentary form of character import is in the cards. Some might say "but Secret of Mana had three player co-op". I've never used the SNES Multitap, but I think if the difference between Legend of Mana being brilliant and Legend of Mana being garbage is support for a multitap accessory, especially in 2010, you guys are nuts. In the mean time, there's also a vs battle arena if you want to use it.

- Second, you often get a story related partner. These are of mixed utility. Some of them get in your way, some of them actively contribute to combat.

- Third, you can bring a pet with you. Although they're rarely required (I think the fossil digging quest might be the only non-pet quest that requires one), the system is deep. It combines a Pokemon-style daycare system with a wide variety of diverse pets. There's about 50 pet types, and raising them is enjoyable if you choose to partake in it.

- Fourth, you can craft a golem from scratch. This is probably the deepest system in Legend of Mana. You start by assembling great materials to give him high HP and high attack. This is basically like weapon crafting, but more expensive. But where the golem really shines is that you get to "program" him. By combining basic commands, you get various final combat attack patterns; specific skills have specific ranges. Very cool, very tough to master, and like raising pets and crafting weapons, totally option.

- I would be amiss if I didn't mention that the game has the best NG+ mode of any game ever made. If you want to play it like Chrono Trigger and use NG+ to steamroll over the game, feel free. If, however, you want a little challenge, there are two additional difficulty levels. I should warn you, it will take you 15+ minutes to kill the basic beginning of game enemies in the highest difficulty if you don't have an optimal crafted weapon. These modes really put your mastery of all the games mechanics to a test.

- I very deliberately left the world design feature until last. New areas appear on the world map when you use certain items in certain locations. The closer you put the items to your home base, the easier the enemies are and the worse the treasure and sold items from shops are. So building the world requires not only finding the items in question, but also placing them effectively. If you want to ignore this feature, ignore it. Stick stuff anywhere. If you want to really min/max the game, you'll have to master this. Speedrunners will note that putting the last dungeon right next to your home base is the only plausible way to complete a weakling run. There's also a system of elemental affinities involved here but it's one of the game's few underdeveloped mechanics.

Story and Quest Design: Legend of Mana doesn't have one storyline, it has three. You can do any of them or all of them. I won't spoil what they are, but each storyline consists of about ten quests taking you across as many locations, and you will certainly stumble on the genesis of each when you begin the game. Each story is pretty involved and requires you to get to know several characters and follow them. Where most RPGs have certain character vignettes in a town (say, FF6 with the injured soldier writing letters to his girlfriend on the Veldt), Legend of Mana logically extends this by showing you that the other characters in this world are on their own adventures like you're on yours. Follow their antics through towns and intervene to help them.

As you complete one or more of the story lines, the Mana Tree blooms in the background, bringing with it an inevitable final confrontation and the beginning of a new destruction/creation cycle. This is very consistent with the cyclical nature of history in other Mana games, and if you actually liked the stories of the earlier games, you'll like the story here. One storyline follows the story of the Dragon Gods--a story which will involve you dying and being brought through the underworld itself, one follows two star-crossed lovers--including through the carcass of a giant dead worm-God, and one follows the bizarre species of Jewel Beasts.

The quest design here is excellent. Some quests are your typical explore, combat, boss combat, story scene layout. There's nothing wrong with that, since virtually everything in all the rest of the Mana series let alone every other RPG does this. But some quests are truly unique. Consider the Dudbear language--at one quest, you agree to sell a bunch of lamps as a travelling salesman to help a guy impress the woman he thinks he's in love with (his romantic misadventures are a whole quest chain in the game and it's genuinely hilarious stuff). To do this, you need to learn the Dudbear language! Dub duba duda dubba! Dubba dadda? Dada dadda! The cool thing about this is that each conversation tree in Dudbear has a lot of leeway, so it's kind of like a non-English version of something like Mass Effect or Alpha Protocol in that there are many ways to steer the conversation to sell the lamps.

Or have you ever went on an archaeological dig with some students to help find parts of a bone? You'll have to do it in this game, and once you've assembled the bone, place it on the world map to create the next dungeon you'll be going into.

Have you ever let a stoned fortune teller trap you in a dream world? Noticed your pet cactus ran away? Helped a positively terrible merchant sell overpriced junk to unsuspecting citizens? Composed poems to help a guy get hooked up? Sure there's no Santa Claus and so it misses the opportunity for a quirk fourth-wall break like in Secret of Mana, but the quest design here is varied, filled with developed characters, and engaging.

Also you can play as a boy or a girl which is an option that more games should have.

Overall: Legend of Mana holds up better than any other game on a technical level from the PS1 era. The graphics and music are legendary for a reason. The much maligned game design is frankly never criticized in detail, just dismissed, and in the mean time I've demonstrated that the game can be as simple or as complicated as you make it, that every combat and crafting system integrates with one another very well, and that the game is rewarding and deep if you choose to make it so. The quest design is varied and despite criticisms of the game being story-light, if you realize that the story is about the characters of the vivid, lush world, instead of being a self-important angry teen saves the world quest, the story is actually one of the better ones both on the PS1 and in an RPG in general. Despite major changes to the Mana formula, it keeps intact the spirit and far moreso than the later much worse games in the series, provides a blueprint for how to modernize some of the Mana gameplay beyond the 16-bit era.

GameSpite readers will note that Jeremy Parish named the game the #1 most underappreciated game of all time and discussed it in GameSpite Quarterly #6. I won't transcribe what he wrote and I don't agree with him 100%, but relative to the hate the game gets, the title of #1 most underappreciated rings true for me.

I don't want to say "haters gonna hate", but virtually everyone who hates the game played it once a decade ago, didn't get it, and immediately bitched that it didn't match their expectations for a Mana sequel. If you have the maturity to come to terms with that and actually play the game for what it is, it is a masterpiece.

Impressive Images (credits to Fantasy Final):
Cnziq.png
KJASJ.png

x2g8m.png
GiqSa.png

RkwbZ.png
90eIG.png

GrCKw.png
50NFh.png

Fantastic Sounds by Yoko Shimomura:
Legend of Mana ~ Title Theme
Song of Mana ~ Opening Theme
Earth Painting

Very excited to pick this up today. I've been putting off buying a disc copy for five years in the hopes that it would get a PSN re-release.

Exceptional Shimomura tracks posted in the OT as well. Awesome.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hahaha when I wrote that post I had no idea it was going to get quoted every time Legend of Mana got discussed on GAF after that point. I would have made it less of a rant!

I'll see if I can do a replay next week and capture some good screenshots. Not sure if quality wise I'd be better off capture carding a PS3 playthrough or screenshotting a 1:1 emulation playthrough.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Shimomura's the best part of this game
or any other game that she's worked on

Will be ordering it as soon as it comes on, even though I own the disk already. I also think I should do some reading about the game first to at least try to challenge myself. I always ended up picking the strongest weapon possible and just smashing stuff till the end. I think I want to try some weapons I never used before and try and utilize as much magic as I can. There are so many intricate subsystems in the game, I always felt like a jerk not taking advantage of any of them. If it means handicapping myself and adding my own challenge, then so be it.

Stumpokapow said:
Hahaha when I wrote that post I had no idea it was going to get quoted every time Legend of Mana got discussed on GAF after that point. I would have made it less of a rant.

It's okay to frequently quote truth. Love this game. The soundtrack just... I don't even know.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
How long does it take to get into the "meat" of this game?

I remember too many Squaresoft PS1 games spending far too much time with BS before letting you actually play something.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Princess Skittles said:
How long does it take to get into the "meat" of this game?

I remember too many Squaresoft PS1 games spending far too much time with BS before letting you actually play something.

Pretty quickly. You get to the introductory quest (Niccolo's Business Unusual Pt. 1) maybe 5 minutes into the game, which will include a sample of combat and abilities. Crafting systems are introduced one by one after that point, and the three starting points for the three main storylines all come within maybe a half an hour of finishing the introductory quest. Pet monsters come a few hours later, Golems can be avoided until pretty much the end of the game.

Either way, you won't get too bogged down with shit.

BTW, Female playable character!

GrumpyAlien said:
Will be ordering it as soon as it comes on, even though I own the disk already. I also think I should do some reading about the game first to at least try to challenge myself. I always ended up picking the strongest weapon possible and just smashing stuff till the end. I think I want to try some weapons I never used before and try and utilize as much magic as I can. There are so many intricate subsystems in the game, I always felt like a jerk not taking advantage of any of them. If it means handicapping myself and adding my own challenge, then so be it.

You can always try a quick first playthrough and using NG+ to select one of the higher difficulties. It's literally impossible to finish the game on the final difficulty setting without seriously dominating the crafting subsystems.

Teknoman

Maximum mana hype! I've wanted to play this for so long, no idea how I missed it the first time around. Big fan of Secret of Mana and Evermore.

atbigelow

Legend of Mana is one of the best looking and best sounding games. Sadly it is also one of the most boring and frustrating to play for me. I am very pleased developers got the whole "make the world with different nodes" idea used in this and FFTA out of their system so soon.

I'll end up getting this more as a show of support for the Mana series and see if I can stomach playing it again.

Enk

makes good threads.
I never understood the sheer hate this game sometimes gets. Yeah it's not Secret of Mana at all, but I really liked it. There was something very unique about it that made me want to pop it in everyonce in a while. I loved trying to decide how I want to piece together my world, and also that soundtack is just simply godly.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
FYI, the GameSpite article referenced in the OP has been posted online. I deliberately timed its publication to coincide with the PSN release to help draw a tiny bit of extra attention to the game and convince people to give it shot. I guess that's good for whatever small amount of influence my opinion holds (read: not a hell of a lot).

Bought a $20 PSN card yesterday in anticipation of this coming out today. Never played it but always heard great things so I'm glad I finally have a chance to experience it.
If I ever get the time - I'm playing about 5 games right now and will have a 3DS on Friday :p

AwRy108

The fact that this game--amongst other great PSOne titles--can be had for $5.99 and is playable in both portable AND console form is practically criminal. Despite the slim pickings outside of Japan, the legacy PSOne titles on PSN are one of the only things that SONY has done 100% right from the get-go this generation.

I think I own nearly 40 PSOne games via PSN, and I only regret purchasing one or two of them. What an amazing deal at $5.99. To all the mobile app stores out there: eat your hearts out.

ksamedi

Reluctant-Hero said:
I've downloaded JP PSone games and played them on my US PS3 while logged in to my US PSN account. I dont think you'll have a problem.

Oh great!

I never played Legend of Mana. This looks wonderful.

I bought this on the JP Store awhile ago but never got around to starting it, but I can say the opening theme music is a masterpiece (I've heard it on and off the last decade online too).

Can't wait to pick this up, LoM is one of the PS1 masterpieces I never got around to back then. Secret of Mana (SNES) is one of my favorite games of all time (the soundtrack too), so this should be great. Hopefully better than Children of Mana (GBA), the only other one next to Seiken Densetsu 3 (SNES) I played.

The NA Store PS1 treatment has been very good the past few months. They are finally rolling out that backlog, but it's been so long that there are so many others to release.
Square alone has many on the JP Store still that needs to make it over (Einhander, Ergheiz, Threads of Fate which I think is ESRB'd, Chocobo games, Brave Fencer Musashi, etc) and then we have ones yet to be released like Chrono Cross (how about the stand-alone Chrono Trigger PS1 port too, but with fixed load times).
Namco with Ridge Racer Type 4 was a huge refreshment too, hope for more from them.
The masses have been petitioning for years now, hope they can get more gems and not only the mainstream titles up.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
jetsetfluken said:
Can't wait to pick this up, LoM is one of the PS1 masterpieces I never got around to back then. Secret of Mana (SNES) is one of my favorite games of all time (the soundtrack too), so this should be great. Hopefully better than Children of Mana (GBA), the only other one next to Seiken Densetsu 3 (SNES) I played.

The NA Store PS1 treatment has been very good the past few months. They are finally rolling out that backlog, but it's been so long that there are so many others to release.
Square alone has many on the JP Store still that needs to make it over (Einhander, Ergheiz, Threads of Fate which I think is ESRB'd, Chocobo games, Brave Fencer Musashi, etc) and then we have ones yet to be released like Chrono Cross (how about the stand-alone Chrono Trigger PS1 port too, but with fixed load times).
Namco with Ridge Racer Type 4 was a huge refreshment too, hope for more from them.
The masses have been petitioning for years now, hope they can get more gems and not only the mainstream titles up.
Yes, it is.

Actually, I'm sure it's coming next week.

Another PS Classic that I must buy but probably won't get around to playing for quite awhile... I appreciate getting all these awesome games up on PSN recently, but I really wish they would have spaced these releases out over the past year or so. Oh well, I shouldn't really complain, I will just continue to await the release of Einhander.

totoro'd

One of the most memorable OST's ever, I loved the opening too, i may get this again since it's been forever since I played it

CO_Andy

Should i play on hard mode first?

The game sounds like a cakewalk, and i'd like some challenge on my first playthrough.

Brazil said:
Yes, it is.

Actually, I'm sure it's coming next week.
Damn, they're not even giving breathers here, just hit after hit each week. This is all good, but I have a feeling after next week (or a few after for Namco's Tekken 3 and I think that was it in that big ESRB leak months back) there will be nothing, or it will go back to mediocrity.

I'll let this guy do the talking when it comes to the bulk of gems missing (and then some): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T4IWgSzh9Q
(listing starts around 4:10)

BentMyWookiee said:
Another PS Classic that I must buy but probably won't get around to playing for quite awhile... I appreciate getting all these awesome games up on PSN recently, but I really wish they would have spaced these releases out over the past year or so. Oh well, I shouldn't really complain, I will just continue to await the release of Einhander.

But Einhander doesn't require any Japanese knowledge, so go buy it now from the JP Store. Same for pretty much every shoot em up there, and gems like Intelligent Qube/IQ Final.Hell, even the menu's in those games are in English.
Games like this (RPGs) coming to the NA Store are huge celebrations because they are you know, text-heavy and are now in the language we understand.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I am not going to miss anything if I didn't play other games in the Mana series, right?

I wonder if Dragon Warrior 7 is on its way.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
CO_Andy said:
Should i play on hard mode first?

Not possible.

The game sounds like a cakewalk, and i'd like some challenge on my first playthrough.

The game is moderately easy your first time through, but brutally hard using the harder difficulty modes. If you want higher difficulty on your first playthrough, restrict yourself intentionally from using crafting systems or otherwise powering up. Or pass on some of the experience crystals. Yeah, I know, that's not very ideal. I promise you'll have a better time playing through on hard mode.

Drkirby said:
I am not going to miss anything if I didn't play other games in the Mana series, right?

You're not going to miss anything, and in fact one of the major reasons why this game isn't as well liked as the others is because people had expectations from SoM / SD3 / SoE that this game doesn't fulfill. Going in with a clear head is a good thing.

jetsetfluken said:
But Einhander doesn't require any Japanese knowledge, so go buy it now from the JP Store. Same for pretty much every shoot em up there, and gems like Intelligent Qube/IQ Final.
I'm okay with waiting for it to show up on the US PSN store because I don't really feel like overpaying for a PSN yen card. Plus I have so many other games I need to play at the moment.

Back on topic: Is Legend of Mana kind of open ended? I never played it, but for some reason I always had the impression that it wasn't linear and you could tackle things in whatever order you wanted.

BentMyWookiee said:
I'm okay with waiting for it to show up on the US PSN store because I don't really feel like overpaying for a PSN yen card. Plus I have so many other games I need to play at the moment.

Oh come on now. You're not the only one I am stumped at who is seemingly too intimidated to enter the JP Store and acquire Yen card(s). It used to be a little tiny complicated by going through Ebay sellers that would take days, or specified card sites that would also not be instant, but for JP cards now, there are instant code redemption sites and also Play-Asia has it where you can just add a digital card to your cart, checkout, and get your code (for a 1000 yen card it's only about $15 USD, which is very realistic and almost equal). That simple. There's no excuse any more. I don't want people to miss out on all the treasures (that will honestly never be brought into other regions) anymore.

jetsetfluken said:
Oh come on now. You're not the only one I am stumped at who is seemingly too intimidated to enter the JP Store and acquire Yen card(s). It used to be a little tiny complicated by going through Ebay sellers that would take days, or specified card sites that would also not be instant, but for JP cards now, there are instant code redemption sites and also Play-Asia has it where you can just add a digital card to your cart, checkout, and get your code. That simple. There's no excuse any more. I don't want people to miss out on all the treasures (that will honestly never be brought into other regions) anymore.
I'm not intimidated. Yen cards are just marked up, so I just personally don't feel it's worth it. Plus I'm not missing out on Einhander (I've played it to death the past). It's not an "I need to have this game now!" sort of thing. So I'm fine with waiting for it to hit the US store as I'm sure it eventually will at the rate Squeenix has been releasing PS Classics. If I'm ever itching so badly to play a game on the Japanese store, then maybe I'll break down. But like I said before, I have so much other stuff to play right now, that it's not really a big deal to wait.

randomkid

ToastyFrog said:
FYI, the GameSpite article referenced in the OP has been posted online. I deliberately timed its publication to coincide with the PSN release to help draw a tiny bit of extra attention to the game and convince people to give it shot. I guess that's good for whatever small amount of influence my opinion holds (read: not a hell of a lot).

Really really nice piece Jeremy. I liked the point tying the mechanics and structure to things like Dragon Quest and Fallout. And I was especially glad to see more love for the vignettes, like this part:
Each quest was essentially a story vignette, and while many were completely incidental or downright ridiculous (see also: the dudbears), many were quietly touching. The lengthy Jumi quest in particular built to an emotionally powerful climax that remains a fan-favorite moment, frequently cited alongside Anju and Kafei from Majora’s Mask as an example of gaming’s most moving incidental tales.

Although now I'm curious, where can I find these citations??? I've never heard anyone mention that moment anywhere, would love to read more stuff along those lines.

Oh and and for people who really need to play on hard difficulty, couldn't you wait a day and then download someone else's save for the new game plus?

MoogPaul

It a shame people hated on this game because of Secret of Mana, especially considering Secret of Mana is a technical mess and not a good game to boot.

The depth of LoM is incredible. First timers are in for a treat.

MechaX

I'll probably get it today. Legend of Mana and Threads of Fate were the only RPGs I missed out on during the PS1 era. Hell, I pretty much missed the entire Mana series boat nonwithstanding the first hour or so I've played of Secret of Mana. I just remember that my old roommate showed me one of the Mana games for DS a few years ago and it definitely didn't look that good.

I'm looking forward to it; I would definitely like a good console JRPG for a change, even if it is an older one.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
MoogPaul said:
It a shame people hated on this game because of Secret of Mana, especially considering Secret of Mana is a technical mess and not a good game to boot.

This is why your opinion is invalid.

I will not deny that SoM has technical issues (not a mess, the game is fully playable), but to say it is not a good game is just stupid. Maybe you just don't like the game, but that doesn't make it bad; A LOT of people enjoyed it and have it in their best games of all time list.

Phatcorns

I want to love this game so badly, but it's just too freaking easy. It's absolutely pointless playing it once you make a weapon. Hell, even if you don't make a weapon, it plays itself. That's not that big of a deal except the story doesn't have that "I can't wait to find out what happens next hook"

Really too bad because everything else is fucking gravy and cake and goodness.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Count me in as one of the original importers that came away immensely disappointed. The soundtrack was fabulous, and while the art detailed, I'm not a fan of the Brownie Brown-esque look. Plus, I never found the animations or control to be very precise, combat especially felt really disjointed.

Partly intrigued to revisit, but the Geo system, dumb difficulty, and all together lack of narrative focus(little guidance especially), were a real detriment for me a decade ago.

The entire Mana line never really recovered since either.

MoogPaul

manueldelalas said:
This is why your opinion is invalid.

I will not deny that SoM has technical issues (not a mess, the game is fully playable), but to say it is not a good game is just stupid. Maybe you just don't like the game, but that doesn't make it bad; A LOT of people enjoyed it and have it in their best games of all time list.

I'm pretty sure that the fact that a lot of people have a bug-ridden mess of a game in their list of best games makes their opinion invalid. And yes it is a mess. If you can bork yourself in several different situations, I'd say mess.

Tripple tap does not a great game make. The menu system is clunky and slow. The hit boxes aren't even close. Constant backtracking. Garbage AI. People really need to start putting down the nostalgia glasses. Secret of Evermore, while still having problems of its own, is a much better game on all fronts.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Secret of Evermore has a fundamentally broken battle system, something that was even more acute to me during my recent replay of the game. The strongest alchemy spells require the rarest ingredients, yet each spell becomes more powerful the more you use it. Those two principles are mutually exclusive.

Jeremy or whoever wrote the SoE coverage for GameSpite does make mention of this as well, ahahha.

Minsc

Gold Member
Can't wait to get this game, never played it, but I loved Secret of Mana. It seems I was one of the few who if it weren't for the internet, would have never even known the game had bugs. I had no issues at all when I played it when it was released on the SNES.

Teknoman

Minsc said:
Can't wait to get this game, never played it, but I loved Secret of Mana. It seems I was one of the few who if it weren't for the internet, would have never even known the game had bugs. I had no issues at all when I played it when it was released on the SNES.

Same here.

MoogPaul said:

I was a Genny kid growing up, never played any Mana games. LoM was just boring and it made the non-linearity out to be pointless instead of interesting.

It elicits no responce at all to me...except the music. Behold, what gets overshadowed by Earth Painting: To the Sea and Wanderer's Path, crowning examples of Shimomura's mastery of the looping themes. Hometown Dormina's good too.

I'm definitely going to revisit LoM through this PSN release and pick it up today. I've also seem to have developed a questionable habit of repurchasing PS1 games I already own solely to share them, but that's another topic for another time.

Skilletor

Never played it for some reason, but I will buy. I bet this looks really nice on the psp screen.

SatelliteOfLove said:
I was a Genny kid growing up

I'm reading the godfather right now, so saying you're a Genny kid really confused me. I was like, "What does that have to do with anything?"

Glix

I have to get the CFW off my PS3. I wonder if the whole Geohot thing was part of the impetus for all of these amazing PSone titles to start hitting...

Teknoman

SatelliteOfLove said:
I was a Genny kid growing up, never played any Mana games. LoM was just boring and it made the non-linearity out to be pointless instead of interesting.

It elicits no responce at all to me...except the music. Behold, what gets overshadowed by Earth Painting: To the Sea and Wanderer's Path, crowning examples of Shimomura's mastery of the looping themes. Hometown Dormina's good too.

Did you get a chance to play Beyond Oasis for the Genesis? Sorta close to early Mana style imo.

Top Bottom