• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Legend of Mana |OT|

Philia

I replayed this 5 years ago on my ps1 and my god, it was awesome. The first time through I didn't know anything. I DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING.

Then post game. OH YES. POST GAME made this game legendary and I sold/bought and hardened my spear to have 864 attack power. I shit you not, 864 attack power. I pretty much went and owned everything in No Future mode with it. The crafting part was pretty darn tedious and very expensive but well worth it.

bengraven

I've received shit from people on forums and real life for this game, but I STILL say this is a fantastic game.

Only problem I've had was the story was really really forgettable. I can remember the story of every single game I've ever played. Ever. And I beat this game twice. But I can't for a fucking minute remember a single piece of this game's story at all.

Philia said:
I replayed this 5 years ago on my ps1 and my god, it was awesome. The first time through I didn't know anything. I DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING.

Then post game. OH YES. POST GAME made this game legendary and I sold/bought and hardened my spear to have 864 attack power. I shit you not, 864 attack power. I pretty much went and owned everything in No Future mode with it. The crafting part was pretty darn tedious and very expensive but well worth it.

YES SPEARS4LYFE

Yuterald

I played the shit out of this game when I was younger. Beautiful soundtrack and it's definitely a looker. The game is easy as shit though, but there are difficulty levels after the game is beaten. I will say that when it comes to the gameplay it is not one of my more preferred action RPGs. The geo map system or whatever is confusing as shit and the game is LITTERED with one chance/missable quests. Report your quests to the cactus after completion or you can go fuck off! Equipment and crafting felt junky too.

I still own my physical copy, but I'll probably pick this up eventually just to have it digitally.

One of the few quality PS1 games I don't actually own anymore. Couldn't justify the ebay prices. I'll have to throw this on my Go sometime when there aren't 20 fantastic games coming out.

My save (still own the original game)
4ireU.png

JCX

I remember playing this with my younger brother years ago. Such a fun co-op experience. I've been let down by all other Mana games that I've played since.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Just started this game and I'm kind of stunned by the lack of direction right off the bat.

Plinko said:
Just started this game and I'm kind of stunned by the lack of direction right off the bat.
Talk to people, explore places. That's how the game is played. It's a Zelda 1 like experience, expect to be stuck.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I should give this game another chance. Never lived up to my expectations of Secret of Mana and gave up on it early on. Cant be worse than Dawn of mana right? :/

simtmb

One of my favorite games of all time. This is just too much. All these digital re-releases make me want to revisit such games again. Been going back to Saturn, DC, Genesis/MD titles etc while barely playing new releases.

I'm so grabbing this again...

Wow, the library (ie: character bios, bestiary, item lists etc) is amazing. Nice big illustrations of every item including a written description. You can tell so much love went into this game, its crazy.

I realized I would avoid collecting the huge crystals from bosses to give myself a bit more of a challenge. Also gotta remember to talk to my cactus after every quest. Not sure if it does anything, but I would feel bad having an empty page in his journal.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I abhor this game and I am one of the biggest Square fanboys on the planet.

The reason is simple - I played this game when AOL's Antagonist gaming community was about all there was to turn to for help with a game. This game is even more cryptic than Demon's Souls. It is impossible to experience every branch of the story without perfect land/element placement and the weapon crafting system is DEEP. I beat the game accidentally within 3 hours of starting it my first time. I was utterly confused when the ending started playing. I had placed my lands and progressed the story to endpoint without ever even knowing it. Also there are SO MANY things to be missed..and the cactus..oh..my..god.. without a guide this game is impossible to truly enjoy if you're a completionist.

The art style, gameplay, music, everything about the game is magical. But I will forever be scarred by that experience I had when I was a kid.

Maxim726X

Wasn't this part of the 'Summer of Adventure'?

It really wasn't that great. It's a damn shame because there was so much about the game that was awesome... Great graphics, great music.

It just felt disjointed. And the combat felt more simplistic than Secret of Mana, which is just deplorable. The game would have been so much better with a stronger cast of characters and stronger combat system.

PS- Speaking of the 'Summer of Adventure'- Threads of Fate was better. There, I said it.

Acquiesc3

Banned
The style reminds me a lot of Saga Frontier 2..

But yeah, I've played this game way back when too. Could've sworn I almost beat it, but the whole artifact/map system just confused me and I was constantly worried if I missed something because of a wrong arrangement. Planning to download this off PSN soon.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Maxim726X said:
PS- Speaking of the 'Summer of Adventure'- Threads of Fate was better. There, I said it.

Threads of Fate was the only one of the three I didn't get. I'd actually love it if they released that on PSN.

Maxim726X

worldrevolution said:
Threads of Fate was the only one of the three I didn't get. I'd actually love it if they released that on PSN.

I can promise you that it hasn't held up as well as LoM, but at the time I enjoyed it more.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Yeah, Threads of Fate is still coming.

Initially I had no plans on buying Legend of Mana but I reweighed the pros and cons vs. Threads of Fate. In the end I purchased Legend of Mana (much more established game, beautiful art and music, not to mention I want something more broad).

I'm an expert

I'd actually love to rebuy the game and play through it as an adult, but I'm pretty much holding out until NGP to play PSOne games. I guess I could play them on the PS3..but I'd have to resize my TV's display..

I never owned this game, but played it a ton over my friends place when it first came out. Absolutely love the art style. Will definitely be picking this up, at some point.

I hadn't listened to the opening theme since I played the game all those years ago. The Swedish lyrics are just as hilarious as they were back then. Other than that, the music is awesome.

The game also has great graphics, but I never really liked the gameplay that much. It is way too easy for it to be all that much fun. But I guess it's worth playing through once for the nice, lush graphics and the awesome Shimomura soundtrack.

Minsc

Gold Member
AndyMoogle said:
I hadn't listened to the opening theme since I played the game all those years ago. The Swedish lyrics are just as hilarious as they were back then. Other than that, the music is awesome.

The game also has great graphics, but I never really liked the gameplay that much. It is way too easy for it to be all that much fun. But I guess it's worth playing through once for the nice, lush graphics and the awesome Shimomura soundtrack.

I wonder if it'd be better just to download a save of the finished game so you can play it on the hard setting for a first playthrough? If it's really easy to the point of being boring.

Basslover

I will just repost my reply from the reveal thread:

Basslover said:
I really liked stump rant about the game since I dearly love it, but I really don't think its square best game of the ps1 era or anything and it DID change a lot of the mana formula that fans wanted (and still want ).

I also agree with a few posters who don't like the lack of difficulty and the long health bars in nightmare mode (NG+). I don't agree with the poster who said the story is bad, FF8 story is BAD and nonsensical, LOm story is divided in chunks and it is literally a children's book like one you tell a story every night to a kid before going to bed.

But I love it, and why you may ask, well the beautiful art and music helps a lot into immerse you into the world and it is a very interesting world to explore (and create?) but the fighting mechanics are solid, I remember trying different abilities to see what I could find, that had an almost fighting esque way of doing combos with attacks changing if you did a half-moon with the d-pad or timing certain abilities and attacks after others (like doing 8 to 10 hits in a combo by YOURSELF), some bosses were a let down in difficulty but they were huge and imposing, and I am one of the opinion that a NG+ does help a LOT this game, specially since it can be fairly short if you only do the are minimum of missions in your first try and go for completition for the 2nd round.

For those trying it for the first time or on the fence, what I can say is that it is a wonderful but somehow flawed game, it is both a fantastic experience and a fantastic game though one of my personal favorites ever!

P.D even if it's not perfect the multiplayer is really fun, I did a run of the game with a friend and had a blast with it (like 5 years ago tho), great for casual play (in the correct sense of the word) since you can do just a couple of missions and then come back later. Also the cactus diary entries are hilarious and the world history book is AWESOME and really detailed.

Sorry for the bad english!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Minsc said:
I wonder if it'd be better just to download a save of the finished game so you can play it on the hard setting for a first playthrough? If it's really easy to the point of being boring.

I wouldn't say easy to the point of being boring, but also this strategy will backfire because the hard difficulties aren't actually "hard", they simply demand mastery of the game's very diverse set of mechanics, particularly all the crafting systems. walking in blind would be a tough one.

As mentioned above by a few posters, all the crafting systems are kind of... err... exploratory, or I guess if you're feeling negative, arbitrary and random. The game doesn't explain how to get a great result from the first try, it allows you to get some crappy results so you can suss out how it works.

Basslover said:
I will just repost my reply from the reveal thread:

I didn't catch your reply originally but good points. Thinking of the stories as children's stories in that they're sort of short and self-contained and separate from one another but still very interesting and fun to follow along with is a really good way of looking at it.

0 HP

this is one of my favorite games ever, but i think a lot of that has to do with being 13 or w/e when it came out. this is the type of game where you need the little kid mindset of being totally open-minded and letting yourself get totally immersed or it won't click. its borderline retarded how easy it is, but you can change that after you beat the game. 10 years ago, the graphics helped a lot too. i think this is a seiken densetsu fan's favorite mana game.

jhawk6

Played this for a little while last night and I'm happy with my purchase.

Got a little worried when that ultra low res title screen popped up and I didn't know if I could adapt to that level of graphics but once I got into the game it really is still beautiful :)

The game seems more challenging now that I am pretty much avoiding almost all experience crystals outside of what is needed to keep myself within a couple of levels of the current areas enemies. Means I will have to put some thought into my map placements though.

I have done around seven quests and am having a fun time. The first time I played it I hated the storyline because it felt so fragmented, but now I am kind of admiring the short little vignettes. It will be interesting when I start to notice the main (three?) storylines start to become clear.

I was one of the jokers that dismissed this game when I heard that it wasn't like Secret of Mana. I WAS SO WRONG! It looks amazing on the PSP. A great game to play right before bed.

Acquiesc3

Banned
Got it today. Music is just as stunning from what I remember. Hopefully, I'll adapt to the low res graphics (God, this would look amazing in HD though).

I'm sure it looks better on psp due to the smaller screen, but I'm planning to play this co-op so ps3 it is.

randomkid

Why am I starting to get consumed by the urge to buy this again. I never rebuy games but six bucks is such a stupid low price to have the ability to play easily on three systems without a disc.

And man I'm starting to wonder how nice this might look on PSP, playing with headphones...... agh I have 20 awesome games in my backlog, what am I doing???

ronito

got it today. One of the few games I've bought on pure aesthetic alone. The music and graphics are just amazing. I'd love to see another game like this. Hell, I'd even buy SaGa Frontier 2 if they released it on PSN. So durn purdy.

I think I'll pay more attention to the world building and all the minigames I skipped the first time. Still I was dismayed by the "go right and push x to win" difficulty. But then it does make it a perfect game to play with the kiddles.

batbeg

Stump's rant forced me into buying this to tide over on the 3DS wait and I'm loving it, though of course difficulty is absurdly easy.

running into it with no guide though, and its so fun to explore.

Top Bottom