• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Lord of the Rings |OT| Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So I'm the farthest thing from a LOTR fan, but I bought the game because I liked Batman 2 a lot, and I'm kind of shocked how much more exciting this world is to explore than Gotham in Lego Batman 2. There's just a whole lot more variety.

It's nowhere near Skyrim or Oblivion levels of exploring, but it does kind of make me think of 'fantasy jr' with the lego settings. Like it would be a great way to start a younger kid into open world games outside of the quest system being real weird. I'd say it's about as 'open' as Witcher 2 was around the swamp town.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Is there any news on a console demo being released? I need something to keep me going until I can get someone to buy it for me for Christmas, haha.

Xander51

So I'm the farthest thing from a LOTR fan, but I bought the game because I liked Batman 2 a lot, and I'm kind of shocked how much more exciting this world is to explore than Gotham in Lego Batman 2. There's just a whole lot more variety.

It's nowhere near Skyrim or Oblivion levels of exploring, but it does kind of make me think of 'fantasy jr' with the lego settings. Like it would be a great way to start a younger kid into open world games outside of the quest system being real weird. I'd say it's about as 'open' as Witcher 2 was around the swamp town.

I picked this up for 360 the other day, and I agree about the open world, it feels like a better execution of concepts in Lego Batman 2. The quest system is a little strange, but it gives good purpose to the collecting of Mithril bricks, unlike the Gold Bricks in the old games which you just sort of accumulated.

Now, I am a rather big LOTR fan, and the amount of fanservice here is phenomenal. Lots of cool touches that weren't in the movies.

Draconian

Is there any news on a console demo being released? I need something to keep me going until I can get someone to buy it for me for Christmas, haha.

I haven't heard anything. I've been checking Major Nelson the past few days and haven't seen any news.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I love that the game has all 9 members following you. It really feels like you're on an epic quest. 10 party members running around at once. It does what Dragon Age don't.

Legolas reminds me of Superman in Batman 2 where he can solve like 50% of the puzzles because he has a ton of abilities. But I still just pick Gimli

Draconian

I love that the game has all 9 members following you. It really feels like you're on an epic quest. 10 party members running around at once. It does what Dragon Age don't.

Legolas reminds me of Superman in Batman 2 where he can solve like 50% of the puzzles because he has a ton of abilities. But I still just pick Gimli

Yeah, I was really surprised when I went to the wheel to change characters and there wasn't enough slots on the wheel for all the characters I had with me. If you select the bottom of the wheel it opens a sort of subwheel where you can access all of your other characters.

Ilúvatar

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but any chance anyone who got an Elrond minifig would be willing to part with it? I was unaware of the promotion until today -_-

That being said, looking forward to checking this out. An LOTR-themed LEGO game was just the excuse I needed to play one of these games

donny2112

Does the 3DS version have multi-player with multiple cartridges?

LEGO Star Wars DS had spotty multi-player. LEGO Star Wars II had pretty good multi-player. Bought LEGO Star Wars III assuming they'd bring over the same quality of multi-player as in II, but there was no multi-player, at all. LEGO Lord of the Rings looks fun, but would only consider buying it has confirmed multi-player mode for 3DS. Thanks!

Draconian

How much content are in the lego games? specifically this one.

There's 18 story levels plus the open world stuff and buying all of the characters.

One thing I would say is a big improvement over Lego Batman 2 is that in this one, the game still lets you move around when you collect the silver blocks.

raviolico

game`s a week out by now in the US....where are the f*cking reviews? still no metacritic score...? for real? is reviewing Lego games uncool or what?

Are the console and handheld versions the same?

No. The handheld versions do not feature an open world Middle Earth to explore in between story levels. They are, rather, just like the previous games in the series with just the story levels included. The levels are, however, slightly different from their console counterparts.

Ugh. After watching the giantbomb quicklook I came right to this thread and this is what I find. Not interested any more

MrDaravon

game`s a week out by now in the US....where are the f*cking reviews? still no metacritic score...? for real? is reviewing Lego games uncool or what?

It came out the same day as BO2, the week of the Wii U, a few weeks after the handheld versions, and it's basically another Lego game. The people who are on board are going to be on board regardless, and it was probably a pretty low priority for outlets based on everything else.

raviolico

got my copy (X360) also 2 days ago.
so far my favorite Lego game.
there is sooo much to do and discover.
it´s like a mini Brick-rim....

Cru Jones

For real, where is the word on the now obvious PC delay?
Expectations were today. Now those sites that listed today are listing it "Coming Soon"

I am going ahead and requesting a refund from GMG on this... 10 days and barely any communication is a little ridiculous.

Ogni-XR21

Got the game today. Really like it. The only thing that bothers me is that the German dub is not from the movies but has all new voices. I play in English so I'm not too bothered by it but it sucks for my nephew who will play this in German...

donny2112

Got the PAL 3DS version yesterday. Pretty entertaining and charming even without the open-world sections.

Back of the box says that it as 1-2 player local co-op and vs. Does it look like you can play through the main game co-op if both systems have a copy of the game?

Amalthea

Banned
Back of the box says that it as 1-2 player local co-op and vs. Does it look like you can play through the main game co-op if both systems have a copy of the game?

No idea what MP contains as the instructions just tell you how to set up the multiplayer.

EUROGAMER - 9/10

"Gotham City may have offered a peek behind the curtain at what a wider Lego world could be like, but Middle-earth throws it wide open. Charming and delightful, faithful to the source yet cheekily irreverent, and packed with features that feed into each other in satisfying ways, The Lord of the Rings marks yet another highpoint in the Lego series."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-20-lego-the-lord-of-the-rings-review

Fuck yea! Sounds like this is indeed the one Lego game to rule them all.

Ambitious

I ordered the game for my little brother's birthday, it's gonna arrive on monday. Amazon also sent me three codes, two for characters and one for weapons. Which characters do these codes unlock?

late edit: Oh, it's on page 3. I should have looked at the .uk or .com Amazon site to begin with (there was no information about the codes on the German site).

Sqorgar

Banned
Fuck yea! Sounds like this is indeed the one Lego game to rule them all.
It's my least favorite LEGO game. There's a bunch of annoyances that drove me nuts. It's more of a death by a thousand paper cuts than it being terrible, but man, when you have to play the ENTIRE black rider level seven times for the chance to collect a single half-second-and-you-miss-it minikit, it starts to get to you.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It's my least favorite LEGO game. There's a bunch of annoyances that drove me nuts. It's more of a death by a thousand paper cuts than it being terrible, but man, when you have to play the ENTIRE black rider level seven times for the chance to collect a single half-second-and-you-miss-it minikit, it starts to get to you.

??

Very curious about this issue as I am still playing through the story but so far I am ready to call this the best in the Lego franchise so far. Every level has been marvelous so far and I have adored exploring Middle Earth. Waiting to start Freeplay stuff until I finish story mode though and ensure I have all the necessary characters/tools.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
??

Very curious about this issue as I am still playing through the story but so far I am ready to call this the best in the Lego franchise so far. Every level has been marvelous so far and I have adored exploring Middle Earth. Waiting to start Freeplay stuff until I finish story mode though and ensure I have all the necessary characters/tools.

His description sounds like he's 100%ing it, and he's frustrated at that part.

Sounds great. Picked up the PS3 version yesterday but won't play it until
1) we've finished batman (playing with my kids)
2) they've seen the movies. One down, two to go on that front

Sqorgar

Banned
??

I have a bunch of issues with the game, but most of them don't become obvious until you are trying to 100% the game:

1) The fetch quests items and blacksmith designs don't have anything like the minikit detectors, so you are far more likely to get stuck searching for them. A walkthrough is far more necessary than other LEGO game.

2) The levels are far too long and too scripted for repeated play throughs. The boss battles are stuck in the middle so you can't avoid them, and they are SLOW. Too much waiting around for the bosses to be vulnerable.

4) There are several places where the minikits are blink-and-you-miss-it one shots at the very end of the level.

5) There is some sort of bug with character switching. Half the time you hold down triangle, rather than popping up the character select, you'll switch to player 2. When you are in the middle of a jumping puzzle (which sometimes requires four or more character swaps), your guy will often jump off and run towards you before you can switch back.

It is by no means a terrible game. These are minor inconveniences at best, and yet they are frequent enough that it was annoying for me. For the first time, I had more fun playing through the story mode than the free play mode.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
With my kids, we play a part in game and play that part from the movie soon after, skipping the boring dialog or traveling. Just the highlights.

Anyone know where a red brick guide is? Specifically we are looking for the 2x, 4x, 6x, etc. red brick quests.

Draconian

Anyone know where a red brick guide is? Specifically we are looking for the 2x, 4x, 6x, etc. red brick quests.

This should help you.

I need to get back to this. I was playing with someone through Fellowship but I'm still way back at the beginning of my own game. Then I bought Forza and yeah. Anyway, tomorrow night will be Lego night.

So I 100%ed the PS3 version and got the Vita version in the mail from gamefly... basically two entirely different games...

the levels are not the same, the combat is deeper in the vita version, unlocks ae entirely different... etc...

it's pretty bad though compared to the PS3 version honestly.

Expectations were today. Now those sites that listed today are listing it "Coming Soon"

I am going ahead and requesting a refund from GMG on this... 10 days and barely any communication is a little ridiculous.

Walking around the mall yesterday (Monday) I saw the Lego LOTR PC game at Best Buy and Future Shop. Still not on Steam though.

Should be good to play through Christmas Day! Anybody have the Wii version? Would be nice to know if it's open world so we can figure out exactly why the 3DS and Vita versions are why they are like they are.

bndadm

Are there any levels similar to Star Wars: The Clone Wars where you command an army or have any of that battlefield-type level? Or are all of the levels traditional LEGO levels?

Please let it be the latter...

AgentP

Are there any levels similar to Star Wars: The Clone Wars where you command an army or have any of that battlefield-type level? Or are all of the levels traditional LEGO levels?

Please let it be the latter...

I don't recall any large RTS style levels, they were traditional.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I'm dropping this here since it's a Lego game, it's a stupid question but how do you actually play the Free Roam levels? I could never find the option in the older games and since this one has it too..

bndadm

I don't recall any large RTS style levels, they were traditional.

Thanks! My wife was unable to play Clone Wars due to those levels and I was unsure if LotR, with it's big battle pieces, would have them as well.

Good to go, hooray!

AgentP

I'm dropping this here since it's a Lego game, it's a stupid question but how do you actually play the Free Roam levels? I could never find the option in the older games and since this one has it too..

How do you play them or find them? After you finish the story mode you unlock free play. Next time you select the level you get a choice. Pick Free Play if you think you have all the tool to get everything, otherwise you will play the levels over and over. Make sure you can blow up shiny blocks, break black-red ones, etc.

This game has an interesting change over the rest, you don't just find red bricks, you find quests for them. You then have to go off and find a Mitheral blacksmith plan or an item itself. When you have it you return to unlock the red brick which then requires studs to buy.

Be sure to get 2x, 4x, 6x, etc. so that you actually have enough studs to buy all the red bricks and characters you run across. To make Mitheral items you need the white Mitheral bricks that are all over. Some items take 16 blocks, to spend them wisely. you can get the most number of blocks by doing free play and finishing the tasks; all ten mini-kits = 1 Mitheral block, Mitheral blacksmith plan = 1 Mitheral block, True Adventurer = 1 Mitheral block, etc. So just finishing the Free Play level completely gets like 4 Mitheral blocks.

Also there are Mitheral blocks scattered all over the world between levels, often very easy to get.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
How do you play them or find them? After you finish the story mode you unlock free play. Next time you select the level you get a choice. Pick Free Play if you think you have all the tool to get everything, otherwise you will play the levels over and over. Make sure you can blow up shiny blocks, break black-red ones, etc.

ah this was it then. Thanks. I thought it was possible after every level

Top Bottom