• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO Lord of the Rings |OT| Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost

Xander51

The PC version of this has been bouncing around in a weird release limbo, at least in the US. It looks like Gamersgate is selling Steam keys for it now, but it's not actually up on Steam yet, so I don't know if that will work or not. Very strange!

Yup, up here as well... i wonder how the PC version is compared to the Console ones, if it's a great port/not too many bugs i might spring for this one over PS3

Xander51

Thanks to Gamestop's current 50 percent bonus trade deal, I was able to trade in my Xbox copy and get the PC version essentially for free. It runs at a solid 60 frames on my system, pad support is great, and surround sound worked without tweaking. I had a similar experience with Lego Batman 2 earlier this year, so their PC versions are sound.

Winnie, there's a PC demo out there, Gamersgate has it on their store page...let me see if I can find a link to the official site's page for it.

http://videogames.lego.com/en-us/lego-lord-of-the-rings/demo-download

Dawg

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/11/26/lego-the-lord-of-the-rings-review

meh.ro2202.jpg

Xander51

I've never seen a Lego game review get so hung up on the puzzles. Also they've been improving this engine constantly, it is leaps and bounds beyond what it used to do technology-wise.

I feel like I'm playing a different game than he did, and most of the other reviews seem to agree with me.

EDIT: The comments on that review are amazing and have fully redeemed my journey to IGN.

Rootbeer

Banned
I took the plunge and grabbed the Steam version thanks to a green man gaming code that let me get it for $21. It's really beautiful and remarkably fun, i hope more people grab this game -- especially on PC.

Wow this game has froze on me more times than any game I've ever had. Sort it out Tt :/ and the platforming/switching characters is infuriating!!!!

clear31

I rented the game and had to return it simply because I knew it was going to take me away from everything.

I was playing the first few levels and just knew that I was going to be trying to 100 percent it. Had to return it before I lost like two days and didnt focus on work.

I'll definitely purchase it in time

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
This game is so buggy and glitchy! Love falling through the world or having to exit the level because it is stuck and won't move forward.

Anyhow, not sure it will be worth the frustration of trying to 100% will be worth it. I'm around 80% now.

Dawg

This game is so buggy and glitchy! Love falling through the world or having to exit the level because it is stuck and won't move forward.

Anyhow, not sure it will be worth the frustration of trying to 100% will be worth it. I'm around 80% now.

Those glitches are nothing compared to the good ol' ~99.6% glitch. All it takes is one minikit or mithril brick to glitch (not appearing where it should) and you're stock on that number forever, unless you start over again or TT releases a patch.

Rootbeer

Banned
Do they ever patch LEGO games?

Now that this one uses Steamworks it should be really easy to push updates. I hope they will.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Just picked this up for 360 yesterday, so much fun. Love how big the open world stuff is. Amazing little Assassin's Creed easter egg at Weathertop too, I laughed at that one. Not too far into it yet but enjoying it nonetheless.

Only issue I have so far is with quests, I'm not quite sure how they work. When I go to the map, hover over one and choose "start quest" it takes me to one of the levels, but when I go to the level there's no quest option or anything like that, am I supposed to play through in story mode again or is it something hidden in the level in free play?

Edit: they're the treasures hidden in free play. I looked it up and found out. Annoying that isn't clearer, especially when you get the quests long before you're able to get the items.

MattyH

this glitched on me so i emailed them due to having the gltich with missing minikits and they sent me the codes to fix the glitch but its caused my mithil bricks to glitch at 237/250 and the ones im missing in middle earth have been replaced with purple studs

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Last time I played I managed to get 4/3 treasures and 13/10 mini-kits on the Keep level. After I finished it said I had 2/3 on the treasures again. And thus ends my 100% on this game, buggy, but fun mess.

leng jai

Just bought this on PC for $7.50 - pure insanity.

This game has the perfect blend of Lego and LOTR in it. Voice acting/music are identical to the movie and the graphics are mint. I saw wow at the opening sequence as well. Framerate seems to be constantly 60fps which is a godsend compared to Harry Potter/Batman which used to periodically drop to ~40fps on my PC. As far as I'm concerned the devs knocked it out of the park with this game.

Gibbo

didnt like star wars and indy lego games, but im really impressed with this so far. thank god they went with voices instead of gibberish. at 8 bucks, it is an absolute must buy

Finished my first and last play through of the 3DS version. Framerate is so bad. Got it for less than half of the msrp so I can deal. Really disappointed that so little effort seems to be put into this version. Wish I still had my 360, I'd play it on that.

Derrick01

Banned
This game is exhausting me and my OCD. Just walking around the shire and seeing hundreds of breakable objects that give money....and they respawn once you leave the area. I'm going to have to really train myself to not break everything.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I picked this up for myself just before Christmas and had a blast going though it. I haven't watched the films in quite some time so it was great to experience them again through this. The only issue I had was that the quest/treasures system means that unlocks and "cheats" aren't going to come as easily while playing through the game first time round, but that's just a change of play style that took a little getting used to. Now I'm able to replay the levels and there's a touch more purpose to it all rather than the usual mopping up of minikits. I've really been enjoying it. Got Lego Batman 2 for Christmas too so will be alternating between the two now. Need to continue my 100%-ing streak!

Ken

I think I'm going to trade in Halo 4 for this game, though I wish I had picked it up while it was $35 during one of Gamestop's holiday sales.

I blame the Hobbit for making me want to play all these LOTR games. Even reinstalled LOTRO last night. D:

I am in love with this game. Played for 2+ hours just now and had a good time. It's easy but it doesn't matter, it's still fun to play and it follows the LotR storyline very closely. Good stuff, especially if you loved the trilogy.

Edit- oh and the game looks wonderful, really nice graphics and art.

Couple of pics of the starting area (The Shire of course). This is 1080p and highest in-game settings:
http://www.abload.de/img/lego11rf7o.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/lego2qzi68.jpg

addyb

Sorry for the ultra noob question coming up but I need to make sure my game hasn't glitched or it's just me being stupid.
I'm on weathentop at the part where you have to light all the fires and I cannot for the life of me see or find where the 5th one would be. I've done 3 with Sam and uncovered one with frodo. A guide online says I need to smash a cart near the save checkpoint? I can't see anything and there is definitely nothing left to smash.

Am I missing something blatantly obvious here or has maybe the game glitched as its messing with my head. Lol

Edit: ignore me. I'd not pushed over a statue. Lmao jeez I'm embarrassed.

I am in love with this game. Played for 2+ hours just now and had a good time. It's easy but it doesn't matter, it's still fun to play and it follows the LotR storyline very closely. Good stuff, especially if you loved the trilogy.

Edit- oh and the game looks wonderful, really nice graphics and art.

Couple of pics of the starting area (The Shire of course). This is 1080p and highest in-game settings:
http://www.abload.de/img/lego11rf7o.jpg
http://www.abload.de/img/lego2qzi68.jpg

How big is the Shire and what can you do in it?

How big is the Shire and what can you do in it?

I got this on a whim hoping that it'd be a game I could play with my wife, she said she'd play 5 minutes of it with me... we ended up progressing to the Bucklebury ferry (1hr later).

I'm not sure of all the things you can do in the Shire but we got lost there when playing, there seems to be a lot of secrets and hobbit houses to jump on and smash all the plants in the gardens. If I remember correctly there were about a dozen secrets or unlock type things on the map for the shire, it seemed relatively large compared to the sets of the other levels we played but I have no idea how big it is in comparison to other lego games.

I got this on a whim hoping that it'd be a game I could play with my wife, she said she'd play 5 minutes of it with me... we ended up progressing to the Bucklebury ferry (1hr later).

I'm not sure of all the things you can do in the Shire but we got lost there when playing, there seems to be a lot of secrets and hobbit houses to jump on and smash all the plants in the gardens. If I remember correctly there were about a dozen secrets or unlock type things on the map for the shire, it seemed relatively large compared to the sets of the other levels we played but I have no idea how big it is in comparison to other lego games.

Thanks! Might have to check it out.

Top Bottom