• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

theaface

How about these?

http://brickset.com/sets/31007-1/Power-Mech

http://brickset.com/sets/31021-1/Furry-Creatures

I think they would have potential and are actually decent sets.

As has been pointed out, the Power Mech has already been done.

The furry creatures is definitely an option, though I personally think that the Forest Animals would be even better from a creativity perspective. Also, it's probably easier to photograph than the Furry Creatures set which has a lot of black in it.

Nitemare1

Why can't someone invent a machine that can sort and store. Just dump your bricks in the mouth and out they come sorted by shape and colour. Why can't I ever seem to get ahead on my sorting! :( Just ranting. I feel better now.

Calm Killer

In all media, only true fans who consume every book, film, game, or pog collection deserve to know what's going on.
Today is Hobbit day at the LEGO booth:

Y1kvpwy.jpg

Is that Green Grocer Green?

Well that was a complete joke. Ran straight for the Lego booth when they let us in just to find it was already completely packed to the gills with people and a rep shouting "IF YOU ARE HERE FOR THE EXCLUSIVE SETS COME BACK TOMORROW THERE ARE ONLY 200 SETS FOR TODAY."

So fuck it. I'm not going to camp out overnight for the CHANCE to spend $130 on three sets with a combined total of less than, what, 500 pieces? So disappointing.

ghostmind

Well that was a complete joke. Ran straight for the Lego booth when they let us in just to find it was already completely packed to the gills with people and a rep shouting "IF YOU ARE HERE FOR THE EXCLUSIVE SETS COME BACK TOMORROW THERE ARE ONLY 200 SETS FOR TODAY."

So fuck it. I'm not going to camp out overnight for the CHANCE to spend $130 on three sets with a combined total of less than, what, 500 pieces? So disappointing.

Sorry to hear that - there has got to be a better way.

Not that it matters, but here is what I would do, if I were running things...

Set up an online portal on the S@H site, where there will be a limited supply of exclusive minifigs and sets that go on sale the same time each day. They can keep the system where each day has an exclusive minifig - in fact I would tie the sets to that same theme day as the minifig. Have a limit of one of each item per household and enough inventory to last at least 5 minutes from the on-sale time.

So if you want the exclusives right now, without having to pay shipping? Then you can brave the lines at the convention. Otherwise those of us that cannot make it, or do not want to deal with that scene, can enjoy these minifigs/sets as well, we just have to wait a bit longer to get them and pay a bit to have them shipped to us.

That's my 2 cents.

Xater

What a terrible experience. Lego is just bad at this.

What a terrible experience. Lego is just bad at this.

Why? That's the whole point of limited edition crap. If anything, I blame the fans for being stupidly competitive about them.

No one would even dare to pay $50 for that batman set at retail, yet they make only a couple of hundreds of them then some people want them and are willing to pay as much.

Also, some kids need to understand they can't have every single toy they want.

Draxal

Why? That's the whole point of limited edition crap. If anything, I blame the fans for being stupidly competitive about them.

No one would even dare to pay $50 for that batman set at retail, yet they make only a couple of hundreds of them then some people want them and are willing to pay as much.

If the point of limited edition crap is to alienate your fans for no reason at all I will agree.

Ponn

Banned

For the benefit of scalpers? Because thats the only people benefiting from this model and driving up the prices. There might be some Lego fans driving up the prices on these but very few opening them and putting them in their collection. More like reselling them or sitting on them to resale. Kids are an after thought to Lego and scalpers at this point which is a shame.

Sorry to hear that - there has got to be a better way.

Not that it matters, but here is what I would do, if I were running things...

Set up an online portal on the S@H site, where there will be a limited supply of exclusive minifigs and sets that go on sale the same time each day. They can keep the system where each day has an exclusive minifig - in fact I would tie the sets to that same theme day as the minifig. Have a limit of one of each item per household and enough inventory to last at least 5 minutes from the on-sale time.

So if you want the exclusives right now, without having to pay shipping? Then you can brave the lines at the convention. Otherwise those of us that cannot make it, or do not want to deal with that scene, can enjoy these minifigs/sets as well, we just have to wait a bit longer to get them and pay a bit to have them shipped to us.

That's my 2 cents

Pretty much like Hasbro does with hasbrotoyshop.com.

Some adults too...

Some adults too...

That was my original point, but I felt if I said it that way it would have felt like I was pointing fingers.

Lego released an extremely overpriced limited edition set that most people won't probably own, and wouldn't have owned if released at retail at that price. It's cool but you won't own it, get over it.

You can even recreate it with other bricks, the only exclusive is the minifig.

/thelegomovieflashbacks

Received my Mini Cooper order at work today. Tempted to start building it in my office this afternoon. But I really shouldn't. I gave next week off anyway.

ghostmind

That was my original point, but I felt if I said it that way it would have felt like I was pointing fingers.

Lego released an extremely overpriced limited edition set that most people won't probably own, and wouldn't have owned if released at retail at that price. It's cool but you won't own it, get over it.

/thelegomovieflashbacks

You speak of one set, where there are three, plus four exclusive minfigs (well Bard may not be exclusive - we'll see).

You can leave that LEGO Movie comment at the door. There is no long line of children at SDCC that will be picking up their exclusive minifigs today and going home to open and play with them. In fact, the "Lord Business" stereotype that LEGO uses as a point of their movie is exactly the type that will be getting these exclusives, or even worse speculators that won't even let these things see the light of day again once they have their hands on them.

The point is that there is another way to do this, and other companies have figured that out. LEGO still hasn't, despite being banned from one Comicon already due to their process.

LEGO knows exactly what kind of fervour they create with their limited availability product, especially when it is tied to a licensed franchise. That's why they frequently offer them as incentives for spending x$ at their stores or in their site.

This is just bad marketing decisions.

/thelegomovieflashbacks

This is the first really negative post I have seen in the LEGO threads. It is a shame.

Mr Mike

1 million Canadian dollars
Right, I've plundered my spares and bought a cheap 60007 for wheel arches, etc.

Let's see how this goes building a SDCC Batmobile...

(Disclaimer - I'm missing a few key pieces and will have to replace them with similar shapes/sizes.)

chimster

Right, I've plundered my spares and bought a cheap 60007 for wheel arches, etc.

Let's see how this goes building a SDCC Batmobile...

(Disclaimer - I'm missing a few key pieces and will have to replace them with similar shapes/sizes.)

is there a part list somewhere or instructions?

Draxal

/thelegomovieflashbacks

I'm not interested in the exclusives at all. I just think its shitty for a toy company to make exclusive toys that are perfect for kids but limit them to only speculators.

If these toys were only able to purchased by somebody 12 and under (with parental guidance of course) all power to them.

You speak of one set, where there are three, plus four exclusive minfigs (well Bard may not be exclusive - we'll see).

You can leave that LEGO Movie comment at the door. There is no long line of children at SDCC that will be picking up their exclusive minifigs today and going home to open and play with them. In fact, the "Lord Business" stereotype that LEGO uses as a point of their movie is exactly the type that will be getting these exclusives, or even worse speculators that won't even let these things see the light of day again once they have their hands on them.

The point is that there is another way to do this, and other companies have figured that out. LEGO still hasn't, despite being banned from one Comicon already due to their process.

LEGO knows exactly what kind of fervour they create with their limited availability product, especially when it is tied to a licensed franchise. That's why they frequently offer them as incentives for spending x$ at their stores or in their site.

This is just bad marketing decisions.

I thought they were banned from NY Comiccon last year, but when I was looking to source it. I saw TLG citing that they used up the budget with the giant xwing they built last year.

ghostmind

I thought they were banned from NY Comiccon last year, but when I was looking to source it. I saw TLG citing that they used up the budget with the giant xwing they built last year.

They were banned - the X-wing thing was their PR excuse why they wouldn't be attending.

Hopefully this year things aren't as chaotic and they are actually invited to NYCC.

If the Batman set came out at retail for $50, you're absolutely right, nobody would buy it. Lego knows that, and knows that they can get away with it by making a 152 piece set an SDCC exclusive. Fans around the world can see they are being taken advantage of quite clearly, and it's pissing people off. It isn't just "kids and adults need to learn they can't always get the toys they want" it's being bent over by a company you like for trying to get a product that you want. It's not difficult to understand.

At retail, the Warbird and Ghost would be $13 sets, and the Batmobile would be $20. I don't think anyone other than scalpers are happily paying $40 and $50 for these sets, even the actual fans that manage to get them. I know I wasn't, getting in line this morning. I actually want to build the set and put it in my town. Looks like I'll be buying the Chase McCain set (which I wanted anyway because Lego City Undercover is amazing) and using a Batman and Robin I already have to moc the '66 instead.

ghostmind

Hmm... I was under the impression that we were getting one more reveal for SDCC, and the rumor was that it was going to be another DC set.

However, today was "Superhero" day at the LEGO booth and I have not heard anything about a reveal.

Perhaps we aren't getting another reveal, or maybe it was for another theme. We have two more days to go - tomorrow is Star Wars and then Sunday is the LEGO Movie.

1. Are the Lego Stores having another 20% off weekend sale this week?
  2. What is the part number of that City set folks are using for Batmobile parts? Before it gets scalped too

Top Bottom