• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 3| Build Hard. Buy Fast. No Mercy.

Ponn

Banned
How do fellow LegoGaffers feel about another building contest soon? I assume I'm not the only one who has 'the itch' to get creating?!

Yea, make it a Kreo themed contest!
raises umbrella to avoid the rotten vegetables

This rancid motherfucker right here... someone catch this SOB.

It's bad enough when people scalp these, but to steal a whole bag only to scalp them all? We can't let that fly!

Hopefully someone at LEGO knows their shit and they track him down. Sure would be suspect if an ebay seller had 30 of these to sell wouldn't it? I hope they are that stupid.

I honestly have no feelings on this. Either way they are going to be sold for hundreds on ebay. Unless the person is Robin Hood stealing to give to the poor or something.

Zerojul

Can't view at work and my phone is about to die, how do they feel about it?

(Buying regardless)

Pretty good from what I've gathered.
He starts by repeating that this will be a 10k production and that you should order online first thing in the morning on August 1st if you want to get one.
He says the figs are awesome and it's an amazing display piece, albeit a bit on the fragile side and thus not meant for play.
He seems to love the turtle, too :)

Xater

He starts by repeating that this will be a 10k production and that you should order online first thing in the morning on August 1st if you want to get one.
He says the figs are awesome and it's an amazing display piece, albeit a bit on the fragile side and thus not meant for play.

Yeah very positive overall. Loved the details as well. Only real negative was the lack of playability which for me is not a factor.

Ryuuroden

That number still makes no sense to me. Maybe I am wrong and there is no market for it but that is hard for me to believe. How long was it on cuusoo/ideas before it received enough votes? I just wish I knew the production numbers of a bunch of other sets including mass market ones so I could make some comparisons. Say 50 investors/scalpers each get 50 exo-suits that's a quarter of the production right there. Just 50 people.

Experien

That number still makes no sense to me. Maybe I am wrong and there is no market for it but that is hard for me to believe. How long was it on cuusoo/ideas before it received enough votes? I just wish I knew the production numbers of a bunch of other sets including mass market ones so I could make some comparisons. Say 50 investors/scalpers each get 50 exo-suits that's a quarter of the production right there. Just 50 people.

A scapler/investor would have to try REALLY hard to get 50 when the set is only going to be selling online and probably SOME of the LEGO stores (which limit how many you can buy to like 3?).

Rootbeer

Banned
The Brick Show repeating the rumored 10,000 run on the Exo-Suit... So sad.

Remember that these will probably go on the website around 10PM July 31st (EST I think?)... don't wait until when you wake up Aug 1st... you may end up missing out if this low number is true.

ghostmind

Looking again at the Smaug set, I do think it will be worth picking up - if you want the dragon - but only at a discount.

The Smaug mold is unique, and as we have seen with the Dino sets, these tend to appreciate in value quickly. Given that Smaug is available only in this one set, and is a licensed character, I could see the Smaug "figure" becoming worth more on the secondary market that the MSRP of this entire set.

Unless they short-ship this, due to the large custom parts, I would think that this set woud be a good discount pick-up in summer of 2015.

Ravek

Banned

Remember that these will probably go on the website around 10PM July 31st (EST I think?)... don't wait until when you wake up Aug 1st... you may end up missing out if this low number is true.

I refuse to believe that number is true.

12:00 AM, eastern, and 9:00 PM, pacific, for US S@H updates.

Rootbeer

Banned
Looking again at the Smaug set, I do think it will be worth picking up - if you want the dragon - but only at a discount.

The Smaug mold is unique, and as we have seen with the Dino sets, these tend to appreciate in value quickly. Given that Smaug is available only in this one set, and is a licensed character, I could see the Smaug "figure" becoming worth more on the secondary market that the MSRP of this entire set.

Unless they short-ship this, due to the large custom parts, I would think that this set woud be a good discount pick-up in summer of 2015.
Hopefully amazon puts it up for around 20% off on pre-order (similar to most of these summer sets) -- I'd snatch it up fast that way. Otherwise, i agree, must wait for a discount... the markup is too bloody ridiculous, even if it has some good stuff in it. I know I'll buy it, just as I did with the Goblin King set... just gotta get the timing right.

I refuse to believe that number is true.

I'm with you... it sounds way too low for what they must know would be a hot set given the strong nostalgia in the AFOL community for Classic Space. Just don't take any chances in case the lower numbers aren't far off base

Fowler

I'm with you... it sounds way too low for what they must know would be a hot set given the strong nostalgia in the AFOL community for Classic Space. Just don't take any chances in case the lower numbers aren't far off base

I do agree with you guys... but on the other hand, that preview piece by one of the AFOLs who helped build and promote the set talked a lot about how they really wanted to intensely hype it. It does make me wonder whether LEGO was really worried that the set wouldn't sell, which would make the small run make sense.

I can't believe it'll only be 10,000, but that did make me think it could be true. Unlikely, but possible.

Rootbeer

Banned
12:00 AM, eastern, and 9:00 PM, pacific, for US S@H updates.
I knew it was somewhere in there. I'm on the west coast, so 9pm for me. Or thereabouts!
I do agree with you guys... but on the other hand, that preview piece by one of the AFOLs who helped build and promote the set talked a lot about how they really wanted to intensely hype it. It does make me wonder whether LEGO was really worried that the set wouldn't sell, which would make the small run make sense.

I can't believe it'll only be 10,000, but that did make me think it could be true. Unlikely, but possible.
I'd be shocked if they don't do another run, because at 10,000 it's an easy sell-out in the first week if not the first day. We'll find out real soon!

ghostmind

Pirates of the Carribean 5: Dead Men Tell No Tales has been announced today for a release on July 7, 2017.

With the news of at least one LEGO Pirates ship for 2015, I could see them doing a full one or two wave Pirates theme for next year, and then taking a year+ off until the Pirates 5 sets are released.

chimster

Guess what came in the mail today :D

IMAG1400.jpg

box is a lot smaller than I thought it would be.

Xater

I can't believe Lego thinks this wouldn't sell. What kid doesn't love mechs? This should sell out easily if that number is true.

Ponn

Banned
I can't believe Lego thinks this wouldn't sell. What kid doesn't love mechs? This should sell out easily if that number is true.

I think the main issue is they don't believe this set is for kids. There are alot of tiny pieces and like Brickshow said it stays together but its not meant for play but for display. With the classic space fig this definitely looks aimed at AFOL's which from previous sales graphs someone posted isn't as big a market to Lego as AFOL's would like to believe themselves to be.

I would wager they just don't want to get stuck with stock that may be hard to move if the demand was meant. If it sells out in one day then I would imagine they might consider a 2nd run but given Mar's Rover I wouldn't count on it if you want the set and just pick it up on Aug 1st.

Experien

https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/492391403646103552

Ladies and gents, retweet for a chance to win SDCC exclusive hobbit minifig. I'm guessing they will be doing something similar for the other ones

From the official rules page on Facebook:

The approximate retail value of each prize is $2.99 USD.

HAHAHAHAHAHHA!

But they are giving away a total of 20 figures throughout SDCC.

July 24: 5 LEGO® The Hobbit™ Bard the Bowman Minifigures

July 25: 5 LEGO® Marvel Super Heroes The Collector Minifigures

July 26: 5 LEGO® DC Comics Super Heroes Batman™ of Zur-En-Arrh Minifigures

July 27: 5 LEGO® THE LEGO MOVIE™ Special Edition UniKitty figures

R-User!

Yea, make it a Kreo themed contest!
raises umbrella to avoid the rotten vegetables

I honestly have no feelings on this. Either way they are going to be sold for hundreds on ebay. Unless the person is Robin Hood stealing to give to the poor or something.

Good idea... We'd throw vegetables made of LEGO... >;)

Xater

From the official rules page on Facebook:

HAHAHAHAHAHHA!

But they are giving away a total of 20 figures throughout SDCC.

I'm gonna get lucky, I can feel it!

I never win shit :(

I'm glad that there's finally a Green Lantern set. Maybe I should get around to picking up that Aquaman set as well.

But no one likes Aquaman!

I actually do but I really don#t care much for the rest of the set. White Batman looks dumb and that MR. Freeze is also very underwhelming.

Also I want to vent again at how much extra we have to pay for those 20 dollar sets here in Europe. They are basically only a good deal here if you can get them on sale.

Vyer

oh man, GL set with Sinestro (and a power batter of some sort?), green translucent pieces and 20 bucks? Yes please.

iuuk

I knew it was somewhere in there. I'm on the west coast, so 9pm for me. Or thereabouts!

I'd be shocked if they don't do another run, because at 10,000 it's an easy sell-out in the first week if not the first day. We'll find out real soon!
Considering the limited technic crawler sold out in one or two days I'm sure this one will too, if that number is true of course. But since it not an official limited number I'm sure they'll make more if it sells out in a day.
*being sure is me being hopeful

Ponn

Banned
Pet shop @ $104 Warehouse Deals if anyone's on the fence.

Looks like its gone.

I'm a very bad person though, I saw a like new GoTG Knowhere Escape for $35 and bit on it. I know i'm going to be jonesing for it after GoTG next week. I'm just going to take the figs out and throw the pieces in my Lego drawer.

Ravek

Banned
Looks like its gone.

I'm a very bad person though, I saw a like new GoTG Knowhere Escape for $35 and bit on it. I know i'm going to be jonesing for it after GoTG next week. I'm just going to take the figs out and throw the pieces in my Lego drawer.

Thats the best thing you can do for that set.

Top Bottom