• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT 4| EVERYTHING IS AWESOME!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's official:

TwEWTyS.jpg

Suicide Squad is a really weird choice; is that legit? They are a WW2 era team right? With a gold robot or something who is also a mummy?

Jimbro72

UCS TIE Fighter for May 2015? Or will it be a TIE Bomber?

I hope the Bomber between those two choices. Seems like it be a more fun build and cooler looking finished model than the regular TIE.

Are you just speculating or are these rumored to be the next SW UCS set?

ghostmind

I hope the Bomber between those two choices. Seems like it be a more fun build and cooler looking finished model than the regular TIE.

Are you just speculating or are these rumored to be the next SW UCS set?

This is a rumor that I have heard from two sources now.

ghostmind

Suicide Squad is a really weird choice; is that legit? They are a WW2 era team right? With a gold robot or something who is also a mummy?

You're thinking of Doom Patrol.

Suicide Squad is a group of anti-heroes (often villains) that undertake missions in exchange for commuted jail sentences.

Deadshot, Captain Boomerang, Cheetah and Harley Quinn have been part of the squad.

ghostmind

Who cares about the bomber? We need an UCS TIE Fighter first. I am amazed we haven't had one yet.

We've had a UCS TIE Interceptor and a UCS TIE Advanced (specifically Vader's), but yeah no regular TIE.

I would rather have the Bomber though, as I think it would be a more interesting build.

You're thinking of Doom Patrol.

Suicide Squad is a group of anti-heroes (often villains) that undertake missions in exchange for commuted jail sentences.

Deadshot, Captain Boomerang, Cheetah and Harley Quinn have been part of the squad.

DOOM PATROL! You are correct. Thanks....I think they were featured in one of the old "Secret Origins" issues from the 80s.....and Wikipedia indeed tells me it was the first Secret Origins in 1987.

Actually, I think I have this comic which may have confused me.
300px-Doom_Patrol_and_Suicide_Squad_Special_1.jpg

On a LEGO note, my Winter Village Market plus Toy Factory arrived today. I think I'll pull the trigger on the Workshop this Friday along with the SW calendar.

Bomber would be a more unique build, that is for sure. But the fact that we haven't had an UCS for one of the most iconic ships from the series is just sad.

Andrin

I'm a huge fan of Egyptian mythology and architecture and loved the Adventure line featuring it back in the 90's.
As such I'm rather sad that I missed out on the Pharaos Quest line.
Are there any sets from that line that you lot can recommend for a not too outrageous price?

It feels a bit silly and pretentious to quote myself like this, but I'd really like some help on this and it seems like my original post got sort of drowned out by the general new OT hype. Did any of you enjoy that theme when it was active?

It feels a bit silly and pretentious to quote myself like this, but I'd really like some help on this and it seems like my original post got sort of drowned out by the general new OT hype. Did any of you enjoy that theme when it was active?

I have no experience with Pharaoh sets, but I do see them appear at my local aftermarket LEGO store fairly regularly. Let me know if there is a particular set you're after and I will let you know the cost.

neonglow

I do like the bi-plane that the theme got. None of the sets are really outrageously priced. I would just use Bricklink to get the pieces for sets you need. For minifigures, the mummy battle pack shouldn't cost much and was heavily discounted.

ghostmind

Why not just get all of the Pharaoh's Quest sets? The OOP mark-up on this theme has been modest, if any at all above the original MSRP.

Some new set prices from Bricklink:

7305 Scarab Attack - $5.50
7306 Golden Staff Guardians - $20
7307 Flying Mummy Attack - $30
7325 Cursed Cobra Statue - $25
7326 Rise of the Sphinx - $45
7327 Scorpion Pyramid - $150

Sets 7325 and 7326 are actually less than MSRP, and the large pyramid set is only $50 more than MSRP, which for aftermarket LEGO is a steal. I would recommend finding a Bricklink retailer that is selling most, if not all of the sets, to reduce the shipping cost.

EDIT: Maybe if you don't want the Cobra statue and the Anubis dog, then you could skip 7325 and 7326.
EDIT2: Adventurers - now there is a theme that needs a return, hopefully with a new elephant mold. They've already updated Johnny Thunder in the LEGO Movie dropship set.

bUGWMiN.jpg

Andrin

Thanks for the replies!

And I'm glad to hear that the sets aren't stupidly expensive. I live in Europe though, so I assume shipping can turn into a bit of a hassle. How easy/hard is it to find good European resellers on Bricklink?

I think all of the sets look decent, but the pyramid one is the most attractive by far. Those Anubis Guard minifigs look amazing.

One of my fondest LEGO memories was when I bought the large Egyptian temple from the Adventurers line. I never got any larger LEGO sets during christmas etc, so I had saved any spare money I could get for almost two years so that I could buy something really big and special. When they launched that line I had just managed to save enough to buy the temple myself. Bringing it home and spending the entire afternoon building and playing with it was absolutely magical.

ghostmind

Thanks for the replies!

And I'm glad to hear that the sets aren't stupidly expensive. I live in Europe though, so I assume shipping can turn into a bit of a hassle. How easy/hard is it to find good European resellers on Bricklink?

In some cases even easier than it is in North America.

Here's a sample link for European sellers for a sealed pyramid set:

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?pg=1&q=7327&invNew=N&itemType=S&viewFrom=sf&sz=25&searchSort=P

EDIT: The link isn't taking my region settings, but just scroll down through the listings to see countries of origin.

Would anyone be interested in buying a box of Series 12 Minifigs and sharing the cost?
The superlot prices on bricklink are insane.

Germany, EU

Andrin

I looked through that list of pyramids and it turns out that 150$ is actually cheaper than what the set sold for in stores over here. Isn't inflation and markup grand? -_-

Rootbeer

Banned
Would anyone be interested in buying a box of Series 12 Minifigs and sharing the cost?
The superlot prices on bricklink are insane.

Sorry I lose track of where everyone lives, but if you live in the USA, a lot of Target stores have them for 2.99... that should be cheaper than splitting a case.

Sorry I lose track of where everyone lives, but if you live in the USA, a lot of Target stores have them for 2.99... that should be cheaper than splitting a case.

I'm in Europe.
On Bricklink one could get a box of 60 for ~150€
50€ per person for an entire set and some extras.
Better than 3*16=48 with no extras.

And I am really not liking the new price point for the minifigs. at 3€ a pop I am considering bailing on future collectable minifigures

And Bricklink superlots like these really piss me off:

To be perfectly honest I was in your exact position and I got the Scorpion Pyramid a few years ago to fill that craving. I hate to say this but it didn't really live up to the Sphinx Surprise or the big Temple set from the Adventurers line. The Pyramid was a lot simpler than it looks. Felt more like a $60-70 set than a $99 set.

I think the Anubis statue and Cobra are both going to be better value for your money but of course they're missing that big set feel. Honestly I would try to find a used, near complete version of the Temple from the Adventurers on eBay for cheap. That's what I did years ago with the big Hydronauts station. Originally $80, I got it 95% complete for like $8 and definitely filled that craving I had way back when.

Rootbeer

Banned
Walking Dead blocks in the wild. Jang has a review. They are TRU exclusive.

McFarlane is clearly going for something different with these. They are trying to come up with something that is as expandable and creative as LEGO but with a little more of a model kit, detailed appearance to it. But is it a strong enough product to resonate with either of those intended audiences?

Here are the blind bags. You'll note the packs are actually marked so you have some idea of what is inside. Bags with an "H" in the upper right-hand corner are humans. "W" are walkers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6AWKxLDE50

I am definitely going to seek out some of the blind bags to get a few of my favorite characters from the show. I don't really feel it as a brick system, but at least the blind bags are kinda neat.

Krilekk

Banned
I'm in Europe.
On Bricklink one could get a box of 60 for ~150€
50€ per person for an entire set and some extras.
Better than 3*16=48 with no extras.

And I am really not liking the new price point for the minifigs. at 3€ a pop I am considering bailing on future collectable minifigures

And Bricklink superlots like these really piss me off:

I'd pay you 20 € shipped for the 5 figures I'm still missing.

Don't forget the LEGO Egyptian CMFs. Series 2 and Series 5 has Pharaoh and Queen. Oh, there's a mummy in one of the series too.

As Ghostmind mentioned, Pharaohs Quest was a poor selling theme. Aftermarket prices are not very high on those sets.

Any word on whether this year's advent calendars will become scarce like the 2013 edition?

Hard to say. IMO, I think the production numbers will be higher this year than last years, but many like myself won't risk missing out on this one. This years is a way better set at a much lower price point compared to last years. 3 factors that will drive up demand this year so I would snag one sooner than later.

I think the Batman one will be if it's a "spin-off" of The LEGO Movie.

Ninjago however already has a non-stop-motion style and will most likely continue it as a movie.

Eh, I'm already not interested in the Ninjago movie then. One of my favorite things about the lego movie was its unique and beautiful style. It rivals most Pixar movies.

Just finished Sydney Opera House. In short, it was a bit disappointing.

It is huge and looks awesome when complete, but the build got pretty monotonous once you get to the white sails on the top of it. It was annoying fitting some into the technic pins, and by the end of the build I was just bored. It wasn't bad per se, but it just wasn't this awesome and fun experience like I was wanting.

There are some really cool techniques at work in the set, and some that gave me solutions to some issues I was having in MOCs before, but in the end this is just a glorified parts pack for me. That was the big reason I ordered it, and after building it it just confirms it.

Tower Bridge was better, even if it was more monotonous in the build.

NeoZylom

Hello guys!
I am here to ask for your help. Recommend me a nice and fun build (below 100$ if possible ...) :) I know nothing about LEGO. I just got back into LEGO with The Hobbit An Unexpected Gathering (as suggested by you guys last year :p)

Edit : I would like a good $/pieces ratio. Which means I don't want to pay 100$ for 300 pieces set.

Oops. I feel so bad right now :( #mybad. But thanks. I'll look into it.

No worries. But that list was compiled from posts at the end of the last OT. Those are the ones people recommended, and almost all of them should be readily available as well.

Happy building, and let us know what you get.

NeoZylom

The Mini-Cooper one is tempting. It seems to have a bunch of pieces. Doesn't seem to be that expensive. Is it fun to build?

The Mini-Cooper one is tempting. It seems to have a bunch of pieces. Doesn't seem to be that expensive. Is it fun to build?

Mini Cooper is fantastic. If you are looking at that price range, I would recommend going just a slight bit higher and getting the VW Camper, simply because it is older and prone to disappearing sooner.

The Mini is absolutely wonderful, but it is only a few months old. The VW Camper is a bit better, but more expensive. The fact that the VW will probably disappear soon is a big thing to consider, especially if you find the Mini Cooper tempting.

Whichever one you decide on, they are both tip top sets, and some of the easiest ones to recommend. You win either way.

But, just to be a filthy enabler, if you are looking for price to brick ratio, the Modular series and Tower Bridge are the kings. They are much more expensive than you are wanting now ($150-240), but they range anywhere from 2000+ pcs for a modular, and over 4000pcs for Tower Bridge.

Rootbeer

Banned
So apparently Haunted House was in stock on amazon at some point earlier today.

Anyone grab one?

Yes, it's sold out now.

Ponn

Banned
Hello guys!
I am here to ask for your help. Recommend me a nice and fun build (below 100$ if possible ...) :) I know nothing about LEGO. I just got back into LEGO with The Hobbit An Unexpected Gathering (as suggested by you guys last year :p)

Edit : I would like a good $/pieces ratio. Which means I don't want to pay 100$ for 300 pieces set.

Milano. GoTG is so hot right now. And it would be a good gateway drug into the rest of the Superhero sets.

If you wanted to stick within Hobbit/LoTR sets as far as Hobbit..um...err..you already got the one I would recommend. Lonely Mountain just came out and looks great to me but you might not like the price per piece ratio. Maybe instead of one set you could get a couple, Witch King Battle has 3 awesome figs for a cheap price, Dol Guldur is a pretty blah set but is super cheap right now, think its $52 on Amazon for like 800 pieces with alot of figs. And if you are getting LoTR/Hobbit sets you are required to have a wall set at some point anyways so might as well as get it out of the way now. Tower of Orthanc is spectacular but double the price you are looking for. Rumors state it won't be around long though so if you are at all interested pick it up. Also out of left field suggestion Ecto-1 in the spirit of Halloween.

Hello guys!

Benny's Spaceship (x3) at $100 is pretty great, especially if you like spaceships. Slightly lower but there's also the Super Secret Police Dropship at $80 that while not quite as nice as Benny's Spaceship to me is also a solid choice. I haven't gotten it yet but if you saw Guardians of the Galaxy and enjoyed it, there's the Milano at $75 though it doesn't have the best price ratio (licensed themes tend not to).

Hello guys!

Helps if we know a little more about you. What's you SSN, birthdate, CC number, etc?
Just kidding about that, but your interests and which themes you don't like would help narrow down recommendations.

hmmblah

16/16 in about 20 mins. What's even more impressive is there were only 25 figures left in the display so to get a complete set with that little is pretty damn sexy.

JF4pevf.jpg

R-User!

Ok I haven't opened it, but from what I'm seeing, Smaug is pretty epic:

18.5" from head to tail
15" wingspan! He should play in the NBA
8.5" from ground to crown

Perhaps the best part?... Folding rubber wings!

He truly IS a beast!

Ok I haven't opened it, but from what I'm seeing, Smaug is pretty epic:

18.5" from head to tail
15" wingspan! He should play in the NBA
8.5" from ground to crown

Perhaps the best part?... Folding rubber wings!

He truly IS a beast!
Wait. The wings fold up? Daaaammmmmmn. That is pretty awesome.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Mystery of why the other thread has been moving so slowly solved!

Did I miss any heads up on that Rocket Racoon Polybag at Toys R Us about when and what it's for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom