• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Leisure Suit Larry |OT| Every Bachelor Gets a Fresh New Start

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
For whatever reason I always think of this series as Love Suit Larry, have to remind myself every time that's not what's it's called.

Gamespot's review was rough, 4.0

I'd give it a 7 or 8, what the fuck at 4?
It's $20! (I actually only paid 15, but 20 is not a wallet breaker)

They rarely give anything less then a 6 anymore.

They rarely give anything less then a 6 anymore.

They were probably due for one to maintain their cred, and what better target than a game that could never afford advertising on their site!

I'm mostly kidding though because Gamespot is arguably the site that has scored the closest to gamerankings averages during the past several years, and I gotta give 'em props for that. They don't overscore like IGN and they don't tend to be way off the mark, except obviously for a few cases like LSLR.

I kickstarted this, and while I'm pretty happy overall, the animation kind of feels like generic flash animation to me. Don't get me wrong, the detail is great, and I like how things are actually drawn, it's just when things starts moving it feels pretty cheap. I fired up LSL7 Love for Sail, and I think everything in that game still looks better.

LOVING everything else about the game, though!

Agreed about the animation. It is worse than the VGA remake! Other than that, it's just what I thought it would be, and I'm glad I kickstarter it. Now lsl2 remake can happen!

Really enjoying this, the art style is incredible for the most part(with one major exception) and I honestly haven't noticed the animation issues some has mentioned aside from the Pimp who sometimes cuts out for a split second midmovement. It is a shame though that so many actions don't have an accompanying animation to go along with them, where the low budget is most clear for me.

The art style complaint I mentioned was with the close up portraits of the women who progress the story line. The change just looks completely out of place and like some horrible, cheap, faux anime with no charm or thought put into it what so ever. In the first few games you'd have relatively realistic close ups and in Love for Sail you had caricatures so I really don't understand why they went with what they did for the horrible close up designs. Not really a game ruiner though.

Has Lowe said what they plan on doing next? Are we getting another remake or an orignal title?

Also: Has anyone or is anyone going to put together a comparison of the three versions of the game? (with the exception of the text only orignal)

Edit:
1B15CCE9B190EE5FACCB4075D97FAFD53FA75D01

I mean just look at that, it's so charming and expressive.

Cheddahz

Banned
Updated the OP with a couple of more reviews, looks like the game is getting pretty bad press from major game reviewers

Updated the OP with a couple of more reviews, looks like the game is getting pretty bad press from major game reviewers

Bit of a shame really, it's a pretty good remake, though I thought the additional babe was kinda useless honestly. That and I wish the game had more easter eggs. Still, hope it does well enough to see at least a remake of 2 and 3.

I've been running through 3, as I decided to go through all the LSLs I hadn't played before (I had only gone through 1 and 7 before. It really seems like 7 is the special one, funniest of the ones I have played by far.)

inm8num2

It makes me worry about how some of the other adventures might be received. These games are going to have rough edges, some bugs, and other minor shortcomings. The question is how much they detract from the core gameplay experience.

akira28

I need to own this.

edit: I hated the animated cartoon-like direction of the later Larry games. And I know that Al Lowe hated the 'non-Larry' Larry games. I have to wonder if they deliberately tried to avoid that, going for a more old school CRPG feel.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Seeing all the bad reviews on this. Out of curiosity did anyone on GAF support the kickstarter?

Anyhow...I think its tough to judge the game. It will have its nostalgia value for the kickstarter supporters but people buying it for the first time who never played the original EGA or VGA versions or any of the other Larry games or aren't fans of point and click adventures might be like "what's the big deal?" Its also a 25 year old game so what was probably seen as humor pushing the boundaries back then probably comes off as pretty tame today.

Its weird...a game like Hector gets good review scores (closest game I can think of) and LSLR gets trashed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I backed it but the bad reviews makes me not want to play it. It almost seems like it's one of those things where the game just doesn't hold up in 2013.

The fact that you have to save-scum to make enough money in the random slot machine/blackjack machine was something I had totally forgotten until I read the RPS review. I mean, they also make it so that you can't lose all your money, but why would they still keep something so pointless in the game? Just because it was in the original?

Ah well, hopefully they can do better with Larry 2, because that game is a total fucker when it comes to dead paths and force restarts. lol

Top Bottom